Trade scenario.

Sky King

Reaction score
I wouldn't have felt comfortable with entering the season with Taysom Hill as the team's backup quarterback. Once again, it seems a lot of fans have already forgotten about what happened in 2013.
I should have made my point a little more clearly. Let me try again just for you:

Only if Hundley had a stellar preseason this past Summer would he have become tradeable as early as this year, and it would have had to have brought a significant return on their original investment to make them take the risk of either Hill, Callahan or even some retread being their backup for 2017. That did not happen, obviously.

The next best scenario IMO would have been that Hundley remain as backup throughout this current regular season and that he try again next Summer to deliver a series of standout performances that could land him the starting job that he must surely crave. In the meantime, Hill could have been developed as the #3 either on the 53 or the PS. Hill was noticeably a better backup prospect for the future than Callahan this past preseason due to his exceptional athleticism.

The developments of yesterday make the latter point moot, of course. I wouldn't say we're "stuck" with Hundley as the backup. He have to do if he's all the team has left at QB. But his performances this past preseason were neither marginally starter-quality nor waiver wire poor. The biggest holes in his game are his affinity for getting sacked and his inability to throw successfully while on the run. Flush him from the pocket and he's not much of a dual threat to pass or run. Only to run. He makes some questionable judgments when not to throw the ball, as well. He's got plenty of room to grow. I hope we don't get to find out what he's capable of doing as a starter at any time during the 2017 season.

D

Deleted member 6794

I should have made my point a little more clearly. Let me try again just for you:

Only if Hundley had a stellar preseason this past Summer would he have become tradeable as early as this year, and it would have had to have brought a significant return on their original investment to make them take the risk of either Hill, Callahan or even some retread being their backup for 2017. That did not happen, obviously.

That doesn't change the fact that the Packers shouldn't have felt comfortable about entering the season with Hill or Callahan as their backup at all though.

Sky King

Reaction score
That doesn't change the fact that the Packers shouldn't have felt comfortable about entering the season with Hill or Callahan as their backup at all though.
The amount of playing time they gave Hundley this preseason would seem to support that notion. Giving him a lot of playing time may also have enhanced his value in a trade.

My guess is that they never had to face that crossroads because Hundley did not play well enough this preseason to attract an offer from some other team that they could not refuse. That, or they may have turned down a good offer for Hundley because he is just too valuable to the team in 2017. Who knows? Thompson would never say a word about such backroom details.

Playing Hundley as much as they did should make him a better QB. It could also make him a better trade prospect down the road. The former also serves the latter. The "when" to the latter is what's unknown. But I would doubt that the intention of either the Packers or of Hundley is that he remain with the team on a second contract as their backup QB. It's possible but it does not seem very likely.

D

Deleted member 6794

The amount of playing time they gave Hundley this preseason would seem to support that notion. Giving him a lot of playing time may also have enhanced his value in a trade.

In my opinion the amount of playing time Hundley received this preseason strongly indicated the Packers had no plans to keep either Hill or Callahan on the 53.

My guess is that they never had to face that crossroads because Hundley did not play well enough this preseason to attract an offer from some other team that they could not refuse. That, or they may have turned down a good offer for Hundley because he is just too valuable to the team in 2017. Who knows? Thompson would never say a word about such backroom details.

Once again, I highly doubt another team would have made such an offer solely based on Hundley performing at an elite level during the preseason.

But I would doubt that the intention of either the Packers or of Hundley is that he remain with the team on a second contract as their backup QB. It's possible but it does not seem very likely.

There's no reason to believe Hundley will remain with the Packers once his rookie contract expires. Therefore the most realistic scenario is the Packers receiving a compensatory pick in 2020 with him leaving in free agency two years down the road.

Sky King

Reaction score
In my opinion the amount of playing time Hundley received this preseason strongly indicated the Packers had no plans to keep either Hill or Callahan on the 53.

Once again, I highly doubt another team would have made such an offer solely based on Hundley performing at an elite level during the preseason.

There's no reason to believe Hundley will remain with the Packers once his rookie contract expires. Therefore the most realistic scenario is the Packers receiving a compensatory pick in 2020 with him leaving in free agency two years down the road.
Isn't that what I had just posted?

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't have felt comfortable with entering the season with Taysom Hill as the team's backup quarterback. Once again, it seems a lot of fans have already forgotten about what happened in 2013.

I highly doubt any team is ready to give up a player capable of helping the Packers win now in exchange for Hundley.

Tell that to Jets fans. I bet they would've given up RichArdson for Hundley...guarantee.

Members online

Latest posts