Trade Matt Flynn for...

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schaub was a thrid round pick with a lot of upside.

Flynn was a seventh round pick and only one QB was drafted lower than him.

Big difference in how NFL teams view the two players and their talent.

There is no way Flynn compares to Schaub when it comes to passing skills or overal ability.

Just because Schaub had a higher price tag in a trade doesn't mean Flynn should or could get the same.

so? where a guy is drafted doesn't have any baring on how well a guy plays in the NFL. Hasselbeck was a 6th rounder, The Packers traded him, along with their first (17th overall) and seventh-round draft picks, to the Seahawks for their first (10th overall) and third-round draft picks for him.
Matt Hasselbeck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

no reason why we can't get something similar or close to Schuab's deal for Flynn

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
going into his 4th season I fail to see how where he was drafted has anything to do with his value now.

Here is a good article to read

Packers confident Flynn has what it takes - JSOnline

"If I was a GM and I needed a quarterback that's who I would go get," an executive in personnel for an NFL club said in unsolicited remarks in April. "I think he's the best backup in the league.

"Colt McCoy isn't as good as Flynn. In fact, if you threw him in, I'm not so sure that in two or three years he wouldn't be every bit as good as Tony Romo. Maybe better. They said he didn't have a big arm but all he did was win a national championship. He's smart and he's tough, and when he came out he was a high 4.6 (40-yard dash guy) guy."

That scout tried to sell Flynn to the decision-makers in his organization before the 2008 draft but "couldn't get to first base. I absolutely loved the kid."

A personnel man for another NFL club brought up Flynn's name in conversation about a year before that. His message was almost exactly the same: If he ever became a general manager he'd be trading for Flynn.

"I wanted to draft him, but we didn't do anything about it," the scout said. "Look. That guy is the next Mark Brunell. They will get a high pick for him some day."

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at one point everyone in GB thought the management was insane to give a 1st round pick up for a QB that was drafted in the 2nd round and had a terrible attitude.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so? where a guy is drafted doesn't have any baring on how well a guy plays in the NFL. Hasselbeck was a 6th rounder, The Packers traded him, along with their first (17th overall) and seventh-round draft picks, to the Seahawks for their first (10th overall) and third-round draft picks for him.
Matt Hasselbeck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

no reason why we can't get something similar or close to Schuab's deal for Flynn

Sorry, but how teams view a player and his skill set has everything to do with how much they will give up to to get him.

You can say Schaub and Flynn had similar numbers and so on but in the end, it comes down to how a team feels about that specific player.

And in the case of Flynn and Schaub, there was a huge difference and Flynn hasn't had the reps to show he can play on the same level as Schaub.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, but how teams view a player and his skill set has everything to do with how much they will give up to to get him.

You can say Schaub and Flynn had similar numbers and so on but in the end, it comes down to how a team feels about that specific player.

And in the case of Flynn and Schaub, there was a huge difference and Flynn hasn't had the reps to show he can play on the same level as Schaub.

yeah, and if you read the other links you'll see how teams feel about him.

Tell me WHAT QB you would take in this years draft over Matt Flynn who has sat back and been developed by the Packers, has played in Pre-season games and a VERY big game for the Packers and almost won.

nah, can't compare the two on reps and numbers because of who Flynn and Schaub have played behind. Schaub got more chances because he was behind Vick who's not exactly known for staying healthy. But Flynn has the skills to be a great QB in this league. Hell look at the push there is for Kolb and Flynn played MUCH better than him in similar amount of playing time

I don't get why you're being so against trading the guy, he's been with GB for 3 years, has one year left. He will leave in FA next year if the Packers don't move him this year.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
1. Cardinals -They need a QB
2. Seattle - Carroll said his top priority is resgining Hasselbeck instead of winning 8 games next year.

3. Bills - I thought Flitzpatrick looked OK, just needs some protection

4. Dolphins - Watch...Chad henne will be back, since they got rid of the Offensive Coordinator, it's obvious they still want the bust

5. Bengals - Carson Palmer will retire on them, and they want to keep him. Paul Brown's son is still the cheapest owner ever, I see them drafting a quarterback

6. Panthers - Possible

7. Vikings - They will go for who ever is in the twilight of their career (McNabb)

8. 49ers - From what I heard, they want to resign their bust of all busts Alex Smith, 'Niners REALLY want to lose next year.

9. Titans - Possible, Kerry Collins can't play forever

10. Redskins - Shanahan mentioned something about drafting a Quarterback.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, and if you read the other links you'll see how teams feel about him.

Tell me WHAT QB you would take in this years draft over Matt Flynn who has sat back and been developed by the Packers, has played in Pre-season games and a VERY big game for the Packers and almost won.

nah, can't compare the two on reps and numbers because of who Flynn and Schaub have played behind. Schaub got more chances because he was behind Vick who's not exactly known for staying healthy. But Flynn has the skills to be a great QB in this league. Hell look at the push there is for Kolb and Flynn played MUCH better than him in similar amount of playing time

I don't get why you're being so against trading the guy, he's been with GB for 3 years, has one year left. He will leave in FA next year if the Packers don't move him this year.

I'm not against trading the guy.

All I said is that we can't base what the Packers can get for him just because of what the Falcons got for Schaub.

The 2 are vastly different players with different skill levels.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The 49ers fans are always beating themselves over taking Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers (Well at least the real fans that don't baby and kiss Smith's ***) so why not they trade for Flynn? I doubt they will but if they really want something better than a bust, they would.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49ers fans are always beating themselves over taking Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers (Well at least the real fans that don't baby and kiss Smith's ***) so why not they trade for Flynn? I doubt they will but if they really want something better than a bust, they would.

F*ck this isnt realistic at all but I would give them our #1, #5 and Flynn for Willis.

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No idea where I heard this but someone said in order for the draft to happen they will lift the lock out for those 3 days. Does that mean trades can happen?

Draft will happen with or without CBA. However the picks will not be able to be signed lol

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
The Packers have no leverage. I could give them a high pick, or I could keep that pick and chuck a bunch of money at him in a year.

I'd be shocked if we got more than a 3.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have no leverage. I could give them a high pick, or I could keep that pick and chuck a bunch of money at him in a year.

I'd be shocked if we got more than a 3.

sure they have leverage, they can put a tag on him next year (depending on the CBA) and then shop him around. It's easier on the team to do it this year and draft a QB in round 5-7 and have him working through the QB school with Graham Harrell

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
sure they have leverage, they can put a tag on him next year (depending on the CBA) and then shop him around. It's easier on the team to do it this year and draft a QB in round 5-7 and have him working through the QB school with Graham Harrell

:icon_lol:

They aren't going to tag a backup quarterback.

And tagging him would make him harder to trade. All of a sudden you'd have to trade a guy with 1 career start who makes the average pay of the top 5 highest paid QB's in the NFL.

And if we can't trade him, then we'd have to keep him. At that pay rate.

That's not going to happen. There isn't a chance in hell they tag Flynn.

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Make a deal to give Flynn and a someone else and get CUTLER
just so we can throw things at him and call him a sissy @ all of our home games!

what a bum

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:icon_lol:

They aren't going to tag a backup quarterback.

And tagging him would make him harder to trade. All of a sudden you'd have to trade a guy with 1 career start who makes the average pay of the top 5 highest paid QB's in the NFL.

And if we can't trade him, then we'd have to keep him. At that pay rate.

That's not going to happen. There isn't a chance in hell they tag Flynn.

it totally depends on the CBA and what the tag entails. All I'm saying is that there is a options. but i don't think that they are going to have to worry about it next year as he'll get traded before then.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not against trading the guy.

All I said is that we can't base what the Packers can get for him just because of what the Falcons got for Schaub.

The 2 are vastly different players with different skill levels.

Yes but all it takes is one GM to like him, just like tebow going in the first round last year. If one GM likes Flynn and wants him as QB for his team next year then he will do what he can to get him, and by scouts take on him a second seems very realistic.
I did never think about that fact that TT has no leverage in this situation though. Really the only way TT could get some everage is if two teams wanted him.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pats game was only to spark interest in other teams, which I'm sure was successful. I think interested teams will still wanna see him workout. Do you buy a car w/o a test drive? How well Flynn "drives" will ultimately decide what we get for him.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pats game was only to spark interest in other teams, which I'm sure was successful. I think interested teams will still wanna see him workout. Do you buy a car w/o a test drive? How well Flynn "drives" will ultimately decide what we get for him.

several experts said Jamarcus Russell had the best work out they had ever seen. For watever thats worth.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No idea where I heard this but someone said in order for the draft to happen they will lift the lock out for those 3 days. Does that mean trades can happen?

The draft and combine will still happen, regardless of the lockout. The rookie players are not yet a member of the union, so the lockout won't impact the ability for the NFL draft to take place.

That said, we might see players protest and picket in front of Radio City Music Hall, but the draft won't be cancelled in the event of a lockout.

Members online

Latest posts