Trade Greg Jennings?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a Packers beat reporter made the comment the Packers should explore trading Jennings, what do you guys think? What could we get for him?

I would assume it would be a 2nd and 3rd rounder.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm? well i love Jennings but i had a strange dream he went to Chicago:eek: if we were going to trade him it would have to be to the AFC! maybe to New England?

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McGinn always gives good and unique analysis. He makes some interesting points in support of his argument. If the salary cap simply cannot afford to keep him along with the future contract extensions that need to be signed - Rodgers, Clay, and Raji, then I think trading him would be smart. But, if there is a manner we can keep them all, then I'd rather keep Jennings. He has great rapport with Rodgers and is a talent that can't be easily replaced. Putting aside the cap issue, McGinn's point about Jennings' decline is interesting, but I think overstated. The recent rash of injuries are alarming, but I'm not ready to say he's breaking down. And his production before his injury was rock solid, and most importantly, steady. Week in and week out, he put up very good yardage numbers and seemed to score on a weekly basis. We all know he's a great route runner and elusive after the catch. His "advancing" age may be a signal that his production and health will decline. But, I think WR is a position where players can play at a very high level into their 30s.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lotsa folks out there saying that WE WILL trade Jennings.
I said perhaps we SHOULD, but that we won't, as was the case with Flynn.
They rebutted that we didn't have leverage to franchise Flynn but we do Jennings, so they say we WILL trade him in March.

I wonder to whom?

Anyway, rumor has it that's why we kept Boykin on the 53 and not risking him on the practice squad.
They really like Jarrett Boykin.

Now about Jennings: I love the guy so much, but do you know he hasn't been able to finish his last 4 games he played?
Someone pointed that out to me on twitter last night.

Perhaps he is beginning to lose his durability.

Of course, I drafted him in Fantasy finally this year so no wonder.

ARod

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings is a classy Packer and if he doesn't retire a Packer then Green Bay did something wrong. He's been a phenomenal player on and off the field, and showed that when he gets the ball, he still has it, still going for more yards, always moving forward. To say that we need to trade him away... I'm not saying I have all the answers, but that just seems like a knee-jerk reaction to a situation that hasn't had time to fully play out.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings is a classy Packer and if he doesn't retire a Packer then Green Bay did something wrong. He's been a phenomenal player on and off the field, and showed that when he gets the ball, he still has it, still going for more yards, always moving forward. To say that we need to trade him away... I'm not saying I have all the answers, but that just seems like a knee-jerk reaction to a situation that hasn't had time to fully play out.

Aaron Rodgers? is it really you haha. jk..... i agree 100%.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer to keep Jennings..he's a great guy and player...but if he costs too much where it'll hurt the team in the long term...well I'm willing to let him go

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm? well i love Jennings but i had a strange dream he went to Chicago:eek: if we were going to trade him it would have to be to the AFC! maybe to New England?
We would definitely trade him to the AFC. I would ask Jennings for his top 3 teams he'd like to go to. At least trade him to a respectable team. Maybe NE after Brady retires. NE is out of the question

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
a Packers beat reporter made the comment the Packers should explore trading Jennings, what do you guys think? What could we get for him?

I would assume it would be a 2nd and 3rd rounder. IMO it should be for a 2nd rd pick

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer to keep Jennings..he's a great guy and player...but if he costs too much where it'll hurt the team in the long term...well I'm willing to let him go

The x-factor is Cobb imo. If Cobb can be a huge weapon and put up good numbers this year heres what's going to happen.

Jennings will get the tag next year, then free to test the market the following. By then the Packers will know for sure what they have in Cobb and the group of Wr's and it will give him time to mature.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We would definitely trade him to the AFC. I would ask Jennings for his top 3 teams he'd like to go to. At least trade him to a respectable team. Maybe NE after Brady retires. NE is out of the question

TT: So Greg we are going to trade you, but to the AFC. Since you are one of our greatest and beloved Packers we will let you choose the AFC team of YOUR CHOICE. What 3 teams would you be interested in?

Jennings: I understand it's a bussiness sir, but i will always be a Packer in my heart. My top choices are New England......

TT: Now hold on Greg It can't be New England...not until Brady retires.

Lol!!!!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It would be a tough call trading Jennings before the deadline. I don't see Thompson doing it because it could be viewed as sending a bad signal regarding this season to the locker room. If he tags him next spring, they still have to fit the tagged amount under the cap - I don't know how constraining that would be particularly if they want to use cap space this season to extend Raji or Clay, for example. He may just settle for the comp pick but I'd prefer he find a way to get a 2nd rounder if he can - hopefully after tagging him. That would give us the advantage of having him this season and getting more than a comp pick. But Jennings is worth more this season than next off season and that may be the difference between a second and a third, and a third is close to a comp pick anyway.

I understand the 'Jennings should retire a Packer' sentiment but that's what that is IMO: Sentiment. A GM can't be sentimental about the players, and he has to avoid paying for past performance as much as possible which may be the case if Jennings is now "injury prone". And it hurts Jennings not only that the Packers are deep at WR but also that Thompson and staff excel at drafting WRs. Here's a look at WRs picked in the first three rounds since Thompson became GM:

Terrance Murphy 2nd round.
Greg Jennings 2nd round.
James Jones 3rd round.
Jordy Nelson 2nd round.
Randall Cobb 2nd round.

There's not a bad pick in the bunch. And if Thompson can get a 2nd rounder for him, he can use his first and one of his second rounders on other positions and still have a 2nd to bolster WR. BTW some Packers fans may not remember Murphy. Thompson's first three picks as GM were Rodgers, Collins, and Murphy. We know how the first two turned out and while I don't know if Murphy would have joined them in the pro bowl, IMO he showed all the signs of being damn good. Unfortunately he suffered from spinal stenosis (same as Tim Lewis, a great Packers CB) and that was it for his career.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if I had to lose one of the guys we need to extend in the next few years it would be Jennings, its our deepest position, and personally I don't know if the offense changes a whole lot if he leaves. Hopefully they can work something out but if there is one guy I could live without its him so it would be nice to get some return value. having two second rounders for TT is an amazing thought. That's a lot of firepower for trades up or down.

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we would prolly get what the Dolphins got for Marshall from the Bears. 2 3rd's, maybe a 2nd and a 4th or something. I think you only trade Jennings if Cobb shows that he can come in and be an impact guy week in and week out.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT: So Greg we are going to trade you, but to the AFC. Since you are one of our greatest and beloved Packers we will let you choose the AFC team of YOUR CHOICE. What 3 teams would you be interested in?

Jennings: I understand it's a bussiness sir, but i will always be a Packer in my heart. My top choices are New England......

TT: Now hold on Greg It can't be New England...not until Brady retires.Trying to be respectful to Jennings & not send him to a crappy team. Someone mentioned NE & I wouldn't send him there b/c of Brady. Of we can keep him great even though the Eagles traded McNabb to Wash. they were respectful enough not to send him to Oakland.

Lol!!!!

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What about the Chargers? With that San Diego weather, we'd be doing him a favor...

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the salary cap simply cannot afford to keep him along with the future contract extensions that need to be signed - Rodgers, Clay, and Raji, then I think trading him would be smart.

Preface: I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but:

Given the abysmal state of our defense over the past 18 games or so, why start with the assumption that Matthews and Raji must be retained?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love to keep him for all the reasons you cited, but TT's task is not to make players happy but to have a winning football team.

The market dictates more than $11M -$15M per year. That is too much to put into the receiving position, especially with Jordy, jones, Cobb, and a couple promising developing players. $13M/year could be used in other ways to probably put maximize the talent on the field. Extensions to Clay and Rodgers is paramount. A few other players can be retained with that money.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Given the abysmal state of our defense over the past 18 games or so, why start with the assumption that Matthews and Raji must be retained?
At this point if I were TT I would be thinking Raji is going to have to take a pay cut if he doesn't get things in gear. He is not the same guy as 2 years ago, constantly blowing up the offensive line. I would be looking at NT very closely in the coming draft.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point if I were TT I would be thinking Raji is going to have to take a pay cut if he doesn't get things in gear. He is not the same guy as 2 years ago, constantly blowing up the offensive line. I would be looking at NT very closely in the coming draft.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I almost forgot he was on the field Sunday. Maybe he needs to be moved back to D-end because he hasn't had that much of an impact to get top dollar.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score

Matthews is the rarest of NFL players on defense: A consistent pass rusher. He's a "must keep" even for the devil! :D IMO he's the second most important Packer at this point after Rodgers. (Woodson's age eliminates him for this spot and I'll bet he retires when his deal is up after the 2014 season.)

Raji is not as clear cut as IMO he's below Matthews but ahead of Jennings because as Thompson has frequently said, 'God only makes so many talented big men'. And Raji is that even though his play and production fell off last season. In his defense, he has played too many snaps over the last two seasons, particularly for a big DL - about 85% of snaps if I remember correctly. And he played last week on a bad ankle so the jury is still out on him this season IMO. Also in contrast to Jennings, look at the fall-off after Raji. Pickett is strictly a run defender and is near the end of his career (to be far, Sunday was Pickett's first game after injuring his leg but even when he's 100% healthy he doesn't have Raji's quickness).

Anyway IMO: Rodgers is priority one but extending him isn't urgent. Matthews is clearly priority #2 and must be retained. And Raji is #3 and should be retained if at all possible. Finding his replacement would be much, much more difficult than finding Jennings'.

H

HardRightEdge

If you watched the CHI game, I think you might have your answer.

I see you agreed with the statement that if Jennings cost so much it will hurt the team, you'd be willing to let him go. I'm glad you've finally come around to my way of thinking.

Members online

Latest posts