• Yes

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 78.2%

• Total voters

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read an interesting article on CBS about who the Falcons may be interested in trading prior to the deadline.

First and by far the best name on that list was wr julio jones. They suggested a 2021 first round pick and a 2022 late round pick would be the compensation. And of five or so teams listed at the end as possible trade partners, the Packers.

It would obviously further complicate the salary cap questions exponentially. But at the same time he's one of less than a handful of wrs that might be better than davante adams.

Would you rather spend our 2021 first round pick on a wr or have julio jones? Granted jones is owed like 60 million over the next 3 years. But I don't think there would be much if any dead money involved. I'm not sure it's awfully tempting and if it wasn't for this 2020 bogus year I'd say go for it for sure...Because the cap would have gone up again

I guess you don't often get an opportunity to have 2 wrs like that on the same team with a future hall of fame qb for the last 3/4 super bowl runs of his career

Larry Fitzgerald quote speaking to kyler murray
" He's the best I've ever seen"
Murray "he look like a freak"
"He's the best I've ever seen, I'm serious man..."

Last edited:
OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another one I saw that was kinda interesting is lb myles jack jaguars for a 2021 first round pick...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
zero chance i want to give up a 1st and another to pay Julio another 60 million dollars. or give up a 1st for myles Jack's knees

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another one I saw that was kinda interesting is lb myles jack jaguars for a 2021 first round pick...

No to the Julio idea but thats based more on salary then pick compensation. A 1st and a late round pick isn't bad but 60 million just isn't possible given the guys we have coming up. So yes id rather have a rookie WR

This however is just lol if anyone thinks Myles Jack is close fetching a 1st round pick. I like Jack but damn

Do you mean "interesting" like "who in their right minds would trade a 1st round pick for him"?

H

HardRightEdge

Among other things, Jones $15 mil salary in 2021 is guranteed. That dog don't hunt.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So logically Julio Jones costs to much money to make much sense but I can't say I wouldn't love to see him in a GB jersey he is still a stud WR and I feel like if we had him a SB would be highly likely.

But as I said I doubt his Salary makes it feasible except at to great a cost and I think he might be one of those face of the franchise type players that pretty much never get traded.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jones is 31, injury prone, and expensive. He’s Atlanta’s problem. No way should we take that problem off their hands.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Looking at positions that might of interest to the Packers (esp. WR, CB), on teams that are angling towards being sellers at the trade deadline, this is what I've got.

Wide Receiver:
  • Mike Williams, Chargers
  • Michael Gallup, Cowboys
  • Kenny Stills, Texans
  • Curtis Samuel, Panthers
  • Brandin Cooks, Texans
  • Keelan Cole, Jaguars
  • Russell Gage, Falcons
Cornerback:
  • William Jackson, Bengals
  • Donte Jackson, Panthers
  • Casey Hayward, Chargers
  • Desmond King, Chargers
  • Bradley Roby, Texans
  • Bryce Callahan, Broncos
Linebacker/Box S:
  • Keanu Neal, Falcons
  • Denzel Perryman, Chargers

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
some pretty interesting names on your list, Dante's. Some such as Hayward could be a big help.

H

HardRightEdge

No to the Julio idea but thats based more on salary then pick compensation. A 1st and a late round pick isn't bad but 60 million just isn't possible....
It shouldn't matter but it is not $60 mil to a team acquiring Jones in trade. Atlanta would have to eat the prorated signing bonus.

If the trade was executed at the deadline, the team acquiring Jones would be on the hook for 9/16 of his 2020 salary, $6.3 mil. They would also be on the hook for his guaranteed $15.3 mil salary for 2021. In total, it's $21.6 mil through 2021. After that there would be no guarantees, no dead cap, at which point you could renegotiate the remaining years or release him or keep him at the $11.5 mil 2022 salary at age 33 which at this jucture would be doubtful.

From the Falcon's standpoint, they would be carrying over $23.25 mil in dead cap to 2021 less the $6.3 mil in 2020 salary savings = net $17 mil dead cap going into 2021, less than his cap cost for that year if retained. Large signing bonus hangovers make these kinds of trades prohibitive.

That 2021 guarantee, besides giving up a high value pick, would be a non-starter. You've already got high value players hitting free agency with a potential $175 mil cap next season. And this is the age where WRs start to accumulate injuries, lose speed, where great ones start to slip into the good category and then down from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only gave the 60 million because I quick looked at what was left on his contract. Point simply being, you can trade picks for anyone, then you have to pay them. he's still due quite a bit of money if you want him to play for you. you can cut him and save the money, but trading a 1st and another for a guy for a 1 or 2 year plan is kind of stupid I think.

Regardless, as has been said, he's older, injury prone, and due a sizeable chunk of change. No thanks.

H

HardRightEdge

A low cost option would be ol' man Tramon Williams providing he's kept in shape in anticipation of getting a call. He had a good season last year and should have some gas left in the tank. He knows the system so you would not have the mental transition period of an outsider.

H

HardRightEdge

I only gave the 60 million because I quick looked at what was left on his contract. Point simply being, you can trade picks for anyone, then you have to pay them. he's still due quite a bit of money if you want him to play for you. you can cut him and save the money, but trading a 1st and another for a guy for a 1 or 2 year plan is kind of stupid I think.

Regardless, as has been said, he's older, injury prone, and due a sizeable chunk of change. No thanks.
If you're going to evaluate the pros and cons, it's best to start with the right numbers. Like a lot of players with big signing bonus hangovers it would be hard for Atlanta to trade him given the dead cap cost, the "silent guarantee".

It's only an intellectual exercise where you test the numbers and perspective against the eventual reality. I'll say Jones will not be traded to anybody for a 1st. round pick and in all liklihood not traded at all.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm actually a bit more on the fence if the chance to grab Jones for a 1st round came up.

At this point the Packers probably couldn't justify paying Jones, but as HRE points out, his cost to the Packers would not be as much as some are thinking. The Packers would have Julio for 3.56 years at a total cost of $44.626M. Which breaks down to roughly $12.53M/year. That is cheap by todays standards for a WR of his caliber.
  • 2020: $ 6.3M
  • 2021: $15.3M
  • 2022: $11.513M
  • 2023: $11.513M

I actually think the price isn't bad, but wouldn't be in favor of the trade due to next years cap being significantly lower and probably more importantly Julio's age. As far as him being injury prone, he has played in 7 more games than Davante since 2014. Does he get injured? Yes, but seems like WR is a position where that is unavoidable. When I picture Aaron Rodgers having Julio Jones on one side, Davante Adams on the other and Lazard in the slot, it makes me smile.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're going to evaluate the pros and cons, it's best to start with the right numbers. Like a lot of players with big signing bonus hangovers it would be hard for Atlanta to trade him given the dead cap cost, the "silent guarantee".

It's only an intellectual exercise where you test the numbers and perspective against the eventual reality. I'll say Jones will not be traded to anybody for a 1st. round pick and in all liklihood not traded at all.
I guess i was to confusing. He's due too much money even from us to pay an aging injury prone player when we have young ascending guys to worry about. Simple enough?

H

HardRightEdge

I guess i was to confusing. He's due too much money even from us to pay an aging injury prone player when we have young ascending guys to worry about. Simple enough?
LOL. I guess I wasn't simple enough. You started from a flawed assumption.

It's the $15 mil guarantee in 2021 that makes the risk/reward problematic for anybody once you take the implausible 1st. rounder off the table.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you always try and find ways to argue with people, honest question?

You don't think he's worth a 1st another pick and the money, I don't think he's worth a 1st another pick and the money, yet here you are picking it apart.

I had no flawed assumption. An over 30 injury prone player is not worth the 1st round pick another pick and the money, because it is significant. Is he or is he not due another 60 million on his contract? If you're going to trade 1st round picks for a guy under contract for multiple seasons, I don't think it's a flawed assumption at all to assume they're planning on keeping him around longer than 1 year. He's not some young ascending start coming off a rookie contract that some team without cap room is trying to trade to another team with lots of room and they're trading for the chance to audition him for a long term contract during that season.

Regardless, the money left on the contract wasn't the point as it wasn't my intention to break down his contract. The reality of the matter is, exactly as I said, he would be due too much money from this team who has other young ascending guys to think about next year. Or do you disagree with that?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not sure why Julio Jones is being labeled as "Injury Prone". He has sat out less games than Davante Adams. Yup, he gets nicked up, but what WR doesn't? If you watch the way the guy plays, its no surprise that he gets dinged up. He also seems to play through a lot of these injuries and by looking at his stats, still has been very productive.

Date League Injury Details
Oct 5, 2020 NFL Thigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2 Jones aggravated his hamstring injury in Monday's loss to the Packers. He was inactive for Week 5 game against the Panthers.
Sep 20, 2020 NFL Thigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2 Jones strained his left hamstring in the team's Week 2 loss to the Cowboys. He missed one game
Nov 24, 2019 NFL Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain Jones suffered a shoulder injury in the second quarter and left the game vs. Tampa Bay. He missed only one game
Jun 10, 2019 NFL Pedal Foot Jones was dealing with a foot injury toward the end of last season, although he didn’t miss a game. He didn't play in preseason games. He managed to play in Week 1 against Minnesota.
Dec 18, 2017 NFL Hand Thumb Sprain Jones had the thumb taped up but didn't miss any time.
Dec 17, 2017 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones suffered the injury early in Week 15 but played through it.
Nov 5, 2017 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones played through an ankle ailment. He played all 16 games in 2017.
Oct 1, 2017 NFL Inguinal Hip Strain Jones returned from a hip flexor after Atlanta's Week 5 bye.
Mar 6, 2017 NFL Pedal Foot Jones had surgery to remove a bunion from his right foot. He was medically cleared for the start of training camp but eased back in and sat out the 1st 2 preseason games.
Jan 14, 2017 NFL Pedal Toe Sprain Jones aggravated a toe sprain on his right foot. He played through it the following week and in the Super Bowl but had surgery to remove a bunion in March.
Dec 4, 2016 NFL Pedal Toe Sprain Jones sprained the big toe on his right foot and missed 2 games.
Sep 18, 2016 NFL Leg Calf Strain Jones missed no time following a Week 2 calf strain.
Sep 11, 2016 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones aggravated his left ankle sprain but played through the issue.
Aug 25, 2016 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones sprained his left ankle in the 3rd preseason game but missed no time.
Oct 11, 2015 NFL Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones came off the field for a few plays because of a hamstring injury but returned for the next possession.
Dec 8, 2014 NFL Inguinal Hip Strain Jones suffered a hip injury in Week 14 and missed the next game.
Sep 18, 2014 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones tweaked an ankle late in Week 2. It lingered but cost him no games.
Oct 7, 2013 NFL Pedal Foot Fracture Jones fractured his right foot in Week 5 against the Jets and didn't play another game until the 2nd week of the 2014 preseason.
Aug 5, 2013 NFL Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones dealt with tightness in both hamstrings and sat out the 1st preseason game.
Nov 18, 2012 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones hobbled off in the 4th quarter after re-injuring his right ankle but missed no further time.
Nov 11, 2012 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 In Week 10, Jones sprained his right ankle against the Saints but played through the injury.
Nov 13, 2011 NFL Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 After tweaking his right hamstring in Thursday practice, Jones re-injured it in the 2nd quarter of Week 10. He missed the following game.
Oct 9, 2011 NFL Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones strained his left hamstring in Week 5 and missed the following 2 games. He returned after the Week 8 bye.
Feb 1, 2011 Non-NFL Pedal Toe Fracture Jones broke a bone in his right foot after his final college season. He worked through it at the NFL Scouting Combine and had surgery afterward.
Sep 12, 2009 Non-NFL Knee Strain Grade 1 Jones suffered a September knee injury that lingered throughout the 2009 season but cost him just 1 game.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure why Julio Jones is being labeled as "Injury Prone". He has sat out less games than Davante Adams. Yup, he gets nicked up, but what WR doesn't? If you watch the way the guy plays, its no surprise that he gets dinged up. He also seems to play through a lot of these injuries and by looking at his stats, still has been very productive.

Date League Injury Details
Oct 5, 2020 NFL Thigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2 Jones aggravated his hamstring injury in Monday's loss to the Packers. He was inactive for Week 5 game against the Panthers.
Sep 20, 2020 NFL Thigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2 Jones strained his left hamstring in the team's Week 2 loss to the Cowboys. He missed one game
Nov 24, 2019 NFL Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain Jones suffered a shoulder injury in the second quarter and left the game vs. Tampa Bay. He missed only one game
Jun 10, 2019 NFL Pedal Foot Jones was dealing with a foot injury toward the end of last season, although he didn’t miss a game. He didn't play in preseason games. He managed to play in Week 1 against Minnesota.
Dec 18, 2017 NFL Hand Thumb Sprain Jones had the thumb taped up but didn't miss any time.
Dec 17, 2017 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones suffered the injury early in Week 15 but played through it.
Nov 5, 2017 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones played through an ankle ailment. He played all 16 games in 2017.
Oct 1, 2017 NFL Inguinal Hip Strain Jones returned from a hip flexor after Atlanta's Week 5 bye.
Mar 6, 2017 NFL Pedal Foot Jones had surgery to remove a bunion from his right foot. He was medically cleared for the start of training camp but eased back in and sat out the 1st 2 preseason games.
Jan 14, 2017 NFL Pedal Toe Sprain Jones aggravated a toe sprain on his right foot. He played through it the following week and in the Super Bowl but had surgery to remove a bunion in March.
Dec 4, 2016 NFL Pedal Toe Sprain Jones sprained the big toe on his right foot and missed 2 games.
Sep 18, 2016 NFL Leg Calf Strain Jones missed no time following a Week 2 calf strain.
Sep 11, 2016 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones aggravated his left ankle sprain but played through the issue.
Aug 25, 2016 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones sprained his left ankle in the 3rd preseason game but missed no time.
Oct 11, 2015 NFL Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones came off the field for a few plays because of a hamstring injury but returned for the next possession.
Dec 8, 2014 NFL Inguinal Hip Strain Jones suffered a hip injury in Week 14 and missed the next game.
Sep 18, 2014 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones tweaked an ankle late in Week 2. It lingered but cost him no games.
Oct 7, 2013 NFL Pedal Foot Fracture Jones fractured his right foot in Week 5 against the Jets and didn't play another game until the 2nd week of the 2014 preseason.
Aug 5, 2013 NFL Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones dealt with tightness in both hamstrings and sat out the 1st preseason game.
Nov 18, 2012 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones hobbled off in the 4th quarter after re-injuring his right ankle but missed no further time.
Nov 11, 2012 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 In Week 10, Jones sprained his right ankle against the Saints but played through the injury.
Nov 13, 2011 NFL Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 After tweaking his right hamstring in Thursday practice, Jones re-injured it in the 2nd quarter of Week 10. He missed the following game.
Oct 9, 2011 NFL Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Jones strained his left hamstring in Week 5 and missed the following 2 games. He returned after the Week 8 bye.
Feb 1, 2011 Non-NFL Pedal Toe Fracture Jones broke a bone in his right foot after his final college season. He worked through it at the NFL Scouting Combine and had surgery afterward.
Sep 12, 2009 Non-NFL Knee Strain Grade 1 Jones suffered a September knee injury that lingered throughout the 2009 season but cost him just 1 game.
Agree only problem I would have with Julio is the cost to acquire him, and his salary I don't care what anyone else says the guy can still play at a Elite level.
I just don't like the thought of getting him at the cost of not only a first round pick but possibly Bahktiari a guy we have to extend still.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agree only problem I would have with Julio is the cost to acquire him, and his salary I don't care what anyone else says the guy can still play at a Elite level.
I just don't like the thought of getting him at the cost of not only a first round pick but possibly Bahktiari a guy we have to extend still.

I wouldn't have a problem with his salary, which would average right around $12.53M/year, I think that is a bargain for a WR of his caliber. However, given the cap situation next year, the Packers probably are better off putting those resources into other positions this year and next. I also really wouldn't be bothered about losing the 32nd pick in the draft for him. :coffee:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Julio Jones is labeled injury prone because he's prone to getting injured. He has been since college. He's played through team disclosed injuries for large chunks of most seasons. And that problem isn't going to get better here at age 31 (and currently dealing with... an injury).

But then again, @Pokerbrat2000 also wonders why Taysom Hill is called injury prone. He only had four seasons ended by injury in college. Nbd.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we'd have to send a contract their way to get Julio. Else we're at risk for being unable to sign our guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts