Trade Deadline..."IF" Gute does a move what position you asking Santa for?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With Sanu off the table, perhaps the Packers should look towards another weapon from Atlanta: Austin Hooper.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would restructure our whole personal training team including doctors and psychical therapist(that includes you dieticians). Every year someone gets hurt. With these new guys the players would be back out playing and NO one would be on the injury list for any game! Broken bones? Oh no...not with these new guys. That cement should harden within a week! No prob!

Btw...I think we should sign Burrow. Just saying!

Reaction score
Sounds like we’ll see Emmanuel Sanders at Levi’s Stadium.

I’d like to see another decent, bigger, S/LB type that can line up in the middle at LB and excels in pass coverage. If thats not available, then a DT that is proficient in run D. That would allow one or the other of the Smith’s to stay home more.

Next would be a WR, but my gut tells me the last game will prevent that from being our priority.

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sanu and Sanders are both off the table now. Sanders is now in SF.

Sanu would have looked good in green and gold, but we need to keep second rounders in our pocket. Sanders ... Ehh I'm split on him. A veteran presence with good hands would have been nice. But speed wise, he doesn't look any better than what we had with Cobb last year, and at 32 I'd say he's past his prime.

I'm not really sure who would have an ILB that has playmaking capability but doesn't require a high draft pick to get. If we found one for a third or fourth plus Darrius Shepherd somewhere, id take it, but likely no proven commodity for that price.

About a month ago, I'd have been yelling at Gute and our scouts to jump on the WR trade train. Today, Im thinking we may not need to, or at least imo someone like Sanders wouldn't really give us much more than what we currently have, except maybe more catches than GMo. I've been tough on him for his drops and wish sometimes he'd be more consistent. But let's not forget there were fans just a few years ago who railed on Davante too for dropping balls and wanted him traded or cut. Needless to say ... Thank god we didn't.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sanu and Sanders are both off the table now. Sanders is now in SF.

Sanu would have looked good in green and gold, but we need to keep second rounders in our pocket. Sanders ... Ehh I'm split on him. A veteran presence with good hands would have been nice. But speed wise, he doesn't look any better than what we had with Cobb last year, and at 32 I'd say he's past his prime.

I'm not really sure who would have an ILB that has playmaking capability but doesn't require a high draft pick to get. If we found one for a third or fourth plus Darrius Shepherd somewhere, id take it, but likely no proven commodity for that price.

About a month ago, I'd have been yelling at Gute and our scouts to jump on the WR trade train. Today, Im thinking we may not need to, or at least imo someone like Sanders wouldn't really give us much more than what we currently have, except maybe more catches than GMo. I've been tough on him for his drops and wish sometimes he'd be more consistent. But let's not forget there were fans just a few years ago who railed on Davante too for dropping balls and wanted him traded or cut. Needless to say ... Thank god we didn't.

That fact that you, of all posters, are lecturing on overreaction and "railing" about things is just such delicious irony. I enjoyed reading it. Thank you.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Sanu off the table, perhaps the Packers should look towards another weapon from Atlanta: Austin Hooper.
I don't think Atlanta would be interested in trading him though. I have little doubt they're headed for a major overhaul with coaching changes etc, but Sanu had some value and is on the downside of his career. A good guy to unload for them because by the team hits their stride again (in theory) he'll not be a part of it anyway.

Hooper is just going to be getting his 2nd contract. He's young and a guy they can still build around and will be a part of their success going forward in the coming years. I don't think they'd be interested in letting him go.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't think Atlanta would be interested in trading him though. I have little doubt they're headed for a major overhaul with coaching changes etc, but Sanu had some value and is on the downside of his career. A good guy to unload for them because by the team hits their stride again (in theory) he'll not be a part of it anyway.

Hooper is just going to be getting his 2nd contract. He's young and a guy they can still build around and will be a part of their success going forward in the coming years. I don't think they'd be interested in letting him go.

Totally. It would be foolish of them. I hope, maybe, that they will do something stupid.

Perhaps it's fractionally more likely to happen if they plan to axe Thomas Dimitroff in addition to Quinn.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Btw...I think we should sign Burrow. Just saying!
Burrow? The LSU QB? We would have to draft him, but he could be long gone before the Packers pick.

Not anymore. Anybody put on IR can be activated (up to 2) after the timeframe has passed.
Minor correction, anybody put on IR after they were initially on the 53 man roster. EQ is on IR, but isn't eligible to come off it this year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With Sanu off the board, the only guy out there that really intrigues me is Albert Wilson. If the Dolphins would give him up for a later pick, I would take the flier.

The tight ends, Hooper and Howard, really intrigue me. They will require more compensation, however. If they're made available at all, that is.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Another interesting player who might not be available is the Dolphins' Raekwon McMillan. He's young and ascending. Seems like a guy you keep even if you're rebuilding. But who knows?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. You have be on out on IR after making the final roster to be eligible to be put back on it.

H

HardRightEdge

Another interesting player who might not be available is the Dolphins' Raekwon McMillan. He's young and ascending. Seems like a guy you keep even if you're rebuilding. But who knows?
What would you have to give up for a guy with 2 more years on a dirt cheap 2nd. rounder contract if he's actually a player? A lot. But is he a player?

In his 2018 rookie season he took 76% of defensive snaps. profootballreference.com has him down for giving up 32 of 39 / 374 yards / 6 TDs / 0 INTs in coverage for a 146.2 passer rating against.

In 2019 his snap count has dropped to 48% giving up 4-4 in coverage. He's going the wrong way for a second year player. The numbers say they are pulling on passing downs and may be protecting him on the others.

While I agree with your assessment that in the absence of a do-it-all 3 down guy, pairing a 1 or 2 down base thumper with a 3 down coverage player, typically a hybrid safety these days, is the way to go.

The thing is the 1 or 2 down base thumpers are easy to find on the cheap. McMillan looks to be migrating in the direction of the Morrisons and Goodsons of the world. Some are less bad than others in coverage which matters given teams throw on any down and distance these days. Heck, Goodson was actually very good in coverage for the Giants last year, less so this year in limited action.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Sanu off the board, the only guy out there that really intrigues me is Albert Wilson. If the Dolphins would give him up for a later pick, I would take the flier.

The tight ends, Hooper and Howard, really intrigue me. They will require more compensation, however. If they're made available at all, that is.

Corey Davis Tennessee Titans is a certainly an intriguing trade target at wr. Don't know if he's on the block for real but there's been chatter to that effect. I'd imagine he's command at least a 3rd round pick if not more.

I agree with you the guy gute should go out and get who would help the team this season as well as provide a solid starter post Graham is OJ Howard. It takes at least a 3rd to get him as well maybe even a 2nd. But if you can get a 6-6 250 pound target that runs a 4.5 for Rodgers I think you really improve the offense. He's also a complete te as he is a plus blocker as well as receiver.

If you could get Howard for a 2nd and Davis for a 3rd wow! The offense would be ridiculous. But I don't think Davis is a need. You can get a really good wr in the draft next year. But Howard is certainly a need with Graham not likely to be on the team in 2020

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still favor a pass catcher.

The passing game still lacks a 3rd down chain moving option-- someone who gets open early in the down, is reliable in traffic, and can pick up a little YAC.

That didn't hurt them against OAK, but that's mostly because OAK sucks. It has been an issue against good defenses, and likely will continue to be a weakness unless they make an acquisition.

I really don't like Martinez, but they aren't going to replace their defensive signal caller mid-season. And as long as they have Martinez, I really don't know who they can get to fix the situation next to him because of his limitations.

I am not saying that they have the answer to the other LB spot on the roster, but with Greene eligible to return, Campbell practicing, and Burks increasing playing time, I think they have more options there than they do in the slot.
Good analysis. Even when Adams was healthy, it seemed they needed another WR, ideally a slot guy as a #2 veteran to replace Cobb.

Joe C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's operate under the assumption that Gute and Co. does in fact do a move...what position are you most hopefully he will move for?

BUT also what position do you actually think IF a move does happen is most likely to be the position?

Personally I've switched recently....I hope IF he does a move it is for ILB help...but actually believe it will be a WR possibly.
I believe there is a need to shore up the tight end spot. They should trade for Howard, Eifert or Hooper. In that order.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's operate under the assumption that Gute and Co. does in fact do a move...what position are you most hopefully he will move for?

BUT also what position do you actually think IF a move does happen is most likely to be the position?

Personally I've switched recently....I hope IF he does a move it is for ILB help...but actually believe it will be a WR possibly.
I’d say OT.

#1 job is to keep Aaron upright, and that is paramount. I’m not wild about our depth there, or lack thereof.

I do like the thought of giving Aaron another higher quality WR, and I’m trusting Gutes will do his best. Can’t wait to see what he does here.

Last edited:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm a Martinez homer that kept hoping he would instill enough of a defense against the need for one...but I'm just not seeing his production as fitting to this defense. I do believe he will get paid and in the right system will eat up tackles and do well....just not here I don't believe.
I feel EXACTLY the same way. Looking for him to start creating TOs. Wishing he could cover. He calls the D as others have mentioned, but, I’m underwhelmed thusfar with Blake’s own performance within that D.

I love the Goodson add. Wow. We stole him. Also agree with others here that Savage’s healthy return will hide Blake’s deficiencies.

btw, saw the Matt LaFleur show tonight, and he gave a game ball to Ty Summers. Personally, I’m a huge Summers fan, and I think he would perform far better than Martinez at ILB. I wonder if they aren’t grooming him to take over the position.

I do think Geno Atkins could be had in trade at ILB with CIN, and we would be improved there as well.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geno Atkins is a defensive tackle but he would provide a huge spark to the defense. The last 4 seasons he's had 10, 9, 9, and 11 sacks. He's got 3 so far this year on a terrible team. The only negative and it's a big one is his cap number is about 12 m per year the next 3 years

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry. You’re right. I was thinking DT for run stop. I have concerns with Lancaster.

Haasan Red**** would be a great add in trade with ARI, but would cost a ton in draft capital. Great in coverage.

Bucannon would cost us nothing, and is also great in coverage.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry. You’re right. I was thinking DT for run stop. I have concerns with Lancaster.
If we had the 2018 version of Mo Wilkerson before he was injured we’d look much better. I’m starting to think they should re evaluate Lancaster and get Keke or Montravius more snaps. If they need more time then go after a formidable DT who could instantly improve the D Line. One more disrupter on the line and getting Savage back in run support could change the entire outlook.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Haasan Red**** would be a great add in trade with ARI, but would cost a ton in draft capital. Great in coverage.

Bucannon would cost us nothing, and is also great in coverage.
I'm pretty sure Bucannon was recently picked up by another team. But I like the thought process. Not sure if ARI is willing to part ways with Red**** though, I think the Packers would have more success with acquiring Atkins. But his contract is like @thequick12 pointed out to large.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somebody threw the ball up of trading for OJ Howard. That is an intriguing proposition I would like the Packers to explore. We'd be set for the near future with Howard, Sternberger & Tonyan.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Bucannon was recently picked up by another team. But I like the thought process. Not sure if ARI is willing to part ways with Red**** though, I think the Packers would have more success with acquiring Atkins. But his contract is like @thequick12 pointed out to large.
Thanks, elcid. That's disappointing, as I thought GB would be a great place for him to flourish.

I see there are some issues in CIN with Cordy Glenn, a starting LT who suffered a concussion in preseason and has not played this year. Glenn just asked for his release from the Bengals: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...to-release-him-over-treatment-for-concussion/

Glenn could make for a nice pickup before the trade deadline at the right price, providing insane OT depth.

Members online

Latest posts