Trade Deadline..."IF" Gute does a move what position you asking Santa for?

H

HardRightEdge

OJ Howard went on IR last season with a foot/ankle injury. This season his productivity has plummeted, drawing only 3.0 targets per game vs. 4.8 in ten games last season. Now he's got a tweeked hamstring. Ariens seems to be saying he's simply not getting open.

Albert Wilson went on IR last season with a hip injury. He's missed games this season with a hip injury.

From a win now perspective, adding these guys would be walking wounded piled on top of walking wounded by all appearances.

Hooper is an interesting proposition with a big issue. He'll be a second contract FA after this breakout season. He's been durable. Even with more targets and more catches, his catch rate per target has gone up each year. His first downs per target has gone up each of the last 3 years. It would be hard to find a guy with a more steady year-to-year progression toward a high value second contract FA target. Atlanta will be entering cap h*ll next season and may not see a path to adding his second contract cap number. They currently have 38 players with $204 mil contracted cap liabilities for 2020.

If he's not a high priority for Atlanta, which is is highly questionable, the issue is what you give up for a premier target that you may only have on hand for half of a season? it would stand to reason such a trade would be contingent on Atlanta allowing Hooper to negotiate an extension with the trade compensation offered dependent on the size of that contract demand. Too many "ifs".

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I was actually thinking what's a wildcard position that could catch us all off guard for a trade....my head went to DL or QB2 as well. Again highly doubtful, even more so than ILB or WR, but fun mental exercise.

There's absolutely no reason to trade for a backup quarterback.

Lavonte David is still pretty good, but I would not be willing to take on the 10+M cap in in 2020.

The Packers could move on from David after this season without any dead money counting against the cap.

I would restructure our whole personal training team including doctors and psychical therapist(that includes you dieticians). Every year someone gets hurt.

Players get hurt all around the league. It's completely unrealistic to expect the Packers to stay fully healthy.

I believe there is a need to shore up the tight end spot. They should trade for Howard, Eifert or Hooper. In that order.

Eifert is in a similar situation as Graham and therefore wouldn't present an upgrade.

btw, saw the Matt LaFleur show tonight, and he gave a game ball to Ty Summers. Personally, I’m a huge Summers fan, and I think he would perform far better than Martinez at ILB.

Summers hasn't played a single snap on defense this season. At this point he definitely doesn't present an upgrade over Martinez.

Sorry. You’re right. I was thinking DT for run stop. I have concerns with Lancaster.

Haasan Red**** would be a great add in trade with ARI, but would cost a ton in draft capital. Great in coverage.

Bucannon would cost us nothing, and is also great in coverage.

According to PFR Red**** has allowed a 129.2 passer rating into his coverage. That's not great by any means.

Bucannon signed with the Giants this week.

I see there are some issues in CIN with Cordy Glenn, a starting LT who suffered a concussion in preseason and has not played this year. Glenn just asked for his release from the Bengals:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...to-release-him-over-treatment-for-concussion/

Glenn could make for a nice pickup before the trade deadline at the right price, providing insane OT depth.

Glenn ($3.83 million cap hit for the rest of the 2019 season) would be too expensive to be a backup.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bengals
Jets
Cardinals
Falcons
Giants
Buccaneers
Chargers
Bears
Broncos
Raiders
Titans
Jaguars

A few teams confirmed earlier, but all appear positioned in seller mode at this trade deadline.

Would love to see Gutekunst and his staff wheel & deal here. Our Packers can really improve with a good move or two.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Bears

A few teams confirmed earlier, but all appear firmly in seller mode at this trade deadline.

Doubt the Bears view themselves "firmly in seller mode". Ask some of their fans though and they might agree with you, that they should be. I didn't watch much of their loss to the Chargers today, but the Bear fans were pretty much booing on and off every time I did peak in. Gotta love it!

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubt the Bears view themselves "firmly in seller mode". Ask some of their fans though and they might agree with you, that they should be. I didn't watch much of their loss to the Chargers today, but the Bear fans were pretty much booing on and off every time I did peak in. Gotta love it!
I watched a lot of it, switching between NO/AZ and LAC/CHI.

It was beautiful...! :D

Did edit that firmly part out, but, the Bears ought to be considered so. Good God do they suck.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ooops. Did I forget the Browns?

Just saw Chubb's 2nd fumble in the 1st Q... wow.

Some interesting players in recent trade rumors floating around:
ILB Alec Ogletree NYG
DE Leonard Williams NYJ
WR Golden Tate NYG
WR Darius Slayton NYG
TE OJ Howard TB (held out v. TEN w rumored trade pending)

Not advocating nor discussing viability, just found these interesting.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Bucs have shifted from "we aren't trading Howard" to "we want a substantial offer for Howard."

In other words, they really want to trade him and are trying to keep up appearances of indifference for the sake of negotiation.

I don't know how "substantial" the offer would need to be in reality, but that would be an absolutely huge acquisition. Howard is one of the best TE prospects of the past decade and was clearly in ascension last season before Arians came in and phased TE out of the offense.

He's the perfect player for Petals in that he has legit run blocking skills and is also a major threat in the passing game. He also would not be a progress stopper for Sternberger, as the latter is more of a "move tight end." The two could play together effectively in 12 personnel.

I'd give up a 2nd round pick and a sweetener for a guy of his caliber.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Only 25 hours until we stop hearing about all the trades the Packers should make and we start hearing about all the trades they should have made. :coffee:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the only guy I'd want who's name is floating around is Robby Anderson. I don't know that Gute wants to give up the 2nd or 3rd rounder that it'll cost for a possible rental though.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bucs have shifted from "we aren't trading Howard" to "we want a substantial offer for Howard."

In other words, they really want to trade him and are trying to keep up appearances of indifference for the sake of negotiation.

I don't know how "substantial" the offer would need to be in reality, but that would be an absolutely huge acquisition. Howard is one of the best TE prospects of the past decade and was clearly in ascension last season before Arians came in and phased TE out of the offense.

He's the perfect player for Petals in that he has legit run blocking skills and is also a major threat in the passing game. He also would not be a progress stopper for Sternberger, as the latter is more of a "move tight end." The two could play together effectively in 12 personnel.

I'd give up a 2nd round pick and a sweetener for a guy of his caliber.
Yep! That dude is a baller. Rodgers would love that. Howard could prove to be a very positive factor to our offense, which could use another dynamic play maker. Total chain mover with a high catch% over 72%.

To me, I want dynamic players as opposed to retreads, or guys who would provide marginal impact, and I think paying for that with draft capital would be smart. I’d rather win the Lombardi Trophy than the Most Picks contest.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Bengals
Jets
Cardinals
Falcons
Giants
Buccaneers
Chargers
Bears
Broncos
Raiders
Titans
Jaguars

A few teams confirmed earlier, but all appear positioned in seller mode at this trade deadline.

I highly doubt the Cardinals, Chargers, Bears, Raiders, Titans and Jaguars should be considered seller at this point.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ok....THIS is pretty funny and one of the reasons why teams like the Jets just can't build a winning team.

Sources: Jets looking to trade Le’Veon Bell before 4 pm deadline.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jets are having a fire sale....One player that might be of interest to Green Bay, if he can be had for the right price, could be Jamison Crowder. Talented slot receiver, could help on special teams, and has the speed to stretch the field.

That said, I expect the Pack to roll with what they have a WR. But you never know....

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jets are having a fire sale....One player that might be of interest to Green Bay, if he can be had for the right price, could be Jamison Crowder. Talented slot receiver, could help on special teams, and has the speed to stretch the field.

That said, I expect the Pack to roll with what they have a WR. But you never know....
Great suggestion. Dynamic playmaker. Stats, with questionable QB play, were pretty tight, especially when he had Cousins throwing to him... Imagine what he could be with Rodgers. All the metrics point to an ascending player given those previous considerations. Could be a great value.

I do agree with you a WR add seems remote. I would suspect they might be in on Ogletree, Trent Williams and/or OJ Howard... OT, ILB seem bigger priorities at the moment, but I would love for them to add a WR as well. Why not go for it? Fill this roster with talent, loaded for bear and the return of the Lombardi Trophy to its rightful place.

Pokerbrat2000, thanks for the laugher....!!!!!! Hilarious. Is there a camera on me or something? Feel like I've been there myself for the last 2-3 days... F "feel" - I know...

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers were interested but not sure if this was their offer or not.
Quote Tweet

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Rich Cimini
@RichCimini
· 10m
The Jets were offered a fourth rounder for Robby Anderson, per @mortreport. I doubt they trade him for that. Not worth it. I think they'd deal him for a 2. #Jets

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling Gute didn't find a trade worth making (or a team willing to deal at a fair price). :(
Based on Lefleurs answer in his press conference yesterday... I’d say that is probably accurate. It did seem that Lefleur at least thought that a trade was not out of the question.

Latest posts