Trade Deadline..."IF" Gute does a move what position you asking Santa for?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's operate under the assumption that Gute and Co. does in fact do a move...what position are you most hopefully he will move for?

BUT also what position do you actually think IF a move does happen is most likely to be the position?

Personally I've switched recently....I hope IF he does a move it is for ILB help...but actually believe it will be a WR possibly.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB would be my 1st wish, WR yesterday looked to be improving and made Rodgers
look like Rodgers again.
Agreed, if this thread was posted on Saturday I would have definitely had WR at #1. Now, I'm also giving the slight edge to ILB.

Any realistic ILB targets out there?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and ILB we need will cost a ton, I don't see that move happening as I think our defense gets much better when Savage comes back and Campbell can maybe take over that hybrid ILB position. Seemed to do decent at it last year. But just getting savage back is going to make a lot of difference in this defense overall, so I'm not inclined to think they're going to give up what is necessary to get the guy we need at that position.

WR's are more plentiful. But we should prepare ourselves that Grant is all we're bringing on board. IF there is an older rental player with a decent salary we can get for low round draft pick, I'd be fine. But i'm not giving up 2nd and 3rds for that. and young guys? Teams aren't giving up their young ascending WR's, even if they suck as a team because they're what are going to make it better in the future.

If the stars line up, i'm fine, but i'm not expecting it.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, if this thread was posted on Saturday I would have definitely had WR at #1. Now, I'm also giving the slight edge to ILB.

Any realistic ILB targets out there?

Honestly, I'm a Martinez homer that kept hoping he would instill enough of a defense against the need for one...but I'm just not seeing his production as fitting to this defense. I do believe he will get paid and in the right system will eat up tackles and do well....just not here I don't believe.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers need to upgrade the inside linebacker position. I guess the offense will be fine once Adams is able to return.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most everyone will say ILB or WR. On another front I'd go QB2. See what Bridgewater has brought to New Orleans?

I was actually thinking what's a wildcard position that could catch us all off guard for a trade....my head went to DL or QB2 as well. Again highly doubtful, even more so than ILB or WR, but fun mental exercise.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I still favor a pass catcher.

The passing game still lacks a 3rd down chain moving option-- someone who gets open early in the down, is reliable in traffic, and can pick up a little YAC.

That didn't hurt them against OAK, but that's mostly because OAK sucks. It has been an issue against good defenses, and likely will continue to be a weakness unless they make an acquisition.

I really don't like Martinez, but they aren't going to replace their defensive signal caller mid-season. And as long as they have Martinez, I really don't know who they can get to fix the situation next to him because of his limitations.

I am not saying that they have the answer to the other LB spot on the roster, but with Greene eligible to return, Campbell practicing, and Burks increasing playing time, I think they have more options there than they do in the slot.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB isn't realistic, imo.

Sanders or Sanu would add a lot to our offense. Somebody who gets open easy, can make the catches, moves the chains.

One game against a bad Oakland secondary doesn't cure what ails us. We need WR help.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
ILB isn't realistic, imo.

Sanders or Sanu would add a lot to our offense. Somebody who gets open easy, can make the catches, moves the chains.

One game against a bad Oakland secondary doesn't cure what ails us. We need WR help.

The only option out there that appeals to me is De'Vondre Campbell, because he has a well-rounded skillset. Most of the other options are one dimensional, like Goodson or Greene. Thus I don't think they would make much of a difference. But Campbell would have to make a pretty dramatic scheme transition mid-season.

Lavonte David is still pretty good, but I would not be willing to take on the 10+M cap in in 2020.

A receiver like Sanu plays and has played in a similar system. If you gave him a defined role, he would most likely be able to contribute right away.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't this why Graham is still on the roster?
Not in my opinion. While he had a nice game yesterday, I’d say he is still on the roster because It will be easier to cut him next year due to his contract.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me it depends on who is coming back from injury and how soon. If Devante is back next week or the week after, the need for a receiver is lessened. If he's out another four weeks I'd look for help there.

The same goes for Savage. When he comes back the safety and ILB situation gets immediately better. If he's not coming back for several more weeks I'd look for a hybrid LB/safety.

I would also ALWAYS be looking for quality offensive line depth. With one tweak of Bulaga's knee we go from a very good O-line to a questionable one.

Also, you can never have too many D-linemen.

As of today and without knowing the inside story on the various Packer injuries my priorities would be:

1) Safety/LB hybrid
2) O-line depth
3) Receiver
4) D-line depth

Of course, the other half of the equation is what is available. If Nick Bosa decided he didn't like San Francisco, for example, I'd give up a couple picks, a stack of cash and a lifetime supply of cheese curds for him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still favor a pass catcher.

The passing game still lacks a 3rd down chain moving option-- someone who gets open early in the down, is reliable in traffic, and can pick up a little YAC.

That didn't hurt them against OAK, but that's mostly because OAK sucks. It has been an issue against good defenses, and likely will continue to be a weakness unless they make an acquisition.

I really don't like Martinez, but they aren't going to replace their defensive signal caller mid-season. And as long as they have Martinez, I really don't know who they can get to fix the situation next to him because of his limitations.

I am not saying that they have the answer to the other LB spot on the roster, but with Greene eligible to return, Campbell practicing, and Burks increasing playing time, I think they have more options there than they do in the slot.
They probably have enough adequate ILB options, and an otherwise excellent D, to mask the inadequacy of this group - something better addressed next year.

I’m all in for taking a WR, even a rental, to really round out this O. We can probably get through the regular season without addressing it, but will hurt when the competition gets stiff in the post-season.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I havent found anything but is there any chance Raven Greene comes back this year? I have looked all over but there are no updates either way. This defense misses him. He was very solid in his role.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I havent found anything but is there any chance Raven Greene comes back this year? I have looked all over but there are no updates either way. This defense misses him. He was very solid in his role.
haven't seen or heard anything. But I was under the impression it was bad enough this year was over for him when it happened.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haven't seen or heard anything. But I was under the impression it was bad enough this year was over for him when it happened.

That was I thought too but there is nothing anywhere about season ending surgery. The most I could find is he probably needs surgery

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was I thought too but there is nothing anywhere about season ending surgery. The most I could find is he probably needs surgery
i can't find anything other than from when it happened. I've been wondering about him too, but there's nothing out there I could find. They IR'd him the day after it happened, so not much question on the severity. Did they do that to start the clock ticking on his return? or because they knew he was done? Mum's been the word since that day though as far as I can tell.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i can't find anything other than from when it happened. I've been wondering about him too, but there's nothing out there I could find. They IR'd him the day after it happened, so not much question on the severity. Did they do that to start the clock ticking on his return? or because they knew he was done? Mum's been the word since that day though as far as I can tell.

Do you have to designate someone on ir with a chance to return or can anyone on ir return?

Members online

Latest posts