Tracking the 2023 Green Bay Roster

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I liked Barnes, but once we drafted Walker, Krys was pretty much kept around for ST. Also McDuffie is a riser and if we need a LB in FA I’m pretty sure Eric Wilson would come back for in that same cheap money range $1m.
We also have a plethora of Day 3 selections, so it might be time to take a stab at iLB on Day 3
Eric Wilson was resigned today.

D

Deleted member 6794

While that might be true. We had brought in like 3 or 4 guys including Eric Wilson and every bit as good as Barnes at like <$300K more prorated. Plus again McDuffie is starting to come around and he’s cheap $ also. We had 4 good LB’s that were healthy we didn’t need Barnes. Nothing personal he’s a good man and he played admirable when healthy.

I agree there's no reason to bring Barnes back. Just wanted to point out that he didn't play much on special teams after week 1. BTW he signed with the Cardinals yesterday anyway.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leavitt is back...STs surged last year, looks like Bisaccia is keeping a ton of the key pieces together from that squad.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Leavitt is back...STs surged last year, looks like Bisaccia is keeping a ton of the key pieces together from that squad.

Leavitt was hot and cold last year. There were some times that he just looked slow and unable to tackle on Special teams. I could be wrong, but I don't think he played any snaps on Defense? Hoping he plays a more consistent role on ST's this season.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leavitt was hot and cold last year. There were some times that he just looked slow and unable to tackle on Special teams. I could be wrong, but I don't think he played any snaps on Defense? Hoping he plays a more consistent role on ST's this season.
Pure special team guy almost...he played one defensive snap according to PFF.

I think at times Dallin's commitment and knowledge to lane control makes some think he is behind or lagging in his instincts. I know I heard from a two sources specifically that Bisaccia saw him as one of main cogs that made any good special teams play happen.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darnell Savage -
Tariq Carpenter -
James Wiggins - Signed to futures 1/10/23
Tyrell Ford - Signed to futures 1/10/23
Tarvarius Moore - Signed 3/17/23
Rudy Ford - Signed 3/17/23
Dallin Leavitt - Signed 4/4/23

With the Leavitt news, that's the room we have...personally I see four locks to be on roster one way or another in Savage, Moore, Rudy and Leavitt. Tariq is the wildcard that should but who knows...Wiggins and Tyrell IMO are PS roster fighters (although many will remember I'm a Wiggins guy).

That all said there isn't a ton of room in this stable for multiple picks at Safety. With three guys at different tiers in the draft represented (Jammie Robinson, Marte Mapu and Jammie Robinson) I suspect Gute doesn't add more than one safety to the mix and has plans that one of these guys or Nixon/Rasul make a switch to safety for us. It just sucks there isn't really a top level elite safety or two in this draft IMO.

Reaction score
Darnell Savage -
Tariq Carpenter -

With the Leavitt news, that's the room we have...personally I see four locks to be on roster one way or another in Savage, Moore, Rudy and Leavitt. Tariq is the wildcard that should but who knows...Wiggins and Tyrell IMO are PS roster fighters (although many will remember I'm a Wiggins guy).

That all said there isn't a ton of room in this stable for multiple picks at Safety. With three guys at different tiers in the draft represented (Jammie Robinson, Marte Mapu and Jammie Robinson) I suspect Gute doesn't add more than one safety to the mix and has plans that one of these guys or Nixon/Rasul make a switch to safety for us. It just sucks there isn't really a top level elite safety or two in this draft IMO.
Yeah that’s an intriguing concept.

On that note, in my mind Rasul would be perfect at Safety. Although Matt recently said Rasul was considered a Outside cover Corner because that’s where his primary strength lies in receiver tracking and reading the QB’s eyes. So I have no idea if those comments were definitive or to keep opponents guessing (which is a respectable tactic). Just because we want to know where someone is being projected shouldn’t cause GB to advertise or to the league. Advertising our plans also eludes to where or whom we’d be picking in the draft and I’m not keen at giving our competition any insight to our plans there (not suggesting you said that)

I still like your thoughts on a minor conversion at DB using a veteran. I’d go after a CB or Safety in the draft by Day 2 (IF an ideal Safety option isn’t there) and maybe look at one that has played a minor role at the Safety position or that has the traits of a SS. Those 2 positions are such an important position to have adequate depth and seasonal overlapping as guys go FA. I’d love to land our next Casey Hayward or Morgan B.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah that’s an intriguing concept. In my mind Rasul would be perfect at Safety. However Matt recently said he was considered a Outside cover Corner because that’s where his primary strength lies in tracking and reading the QB’s eyes. So I have no idea if those comments were definitive or to keep opponents guessing (which is a respectable tactic). Just because we want to know where someone is being projected shouldn’t cause GB to advertise or to the league. Advertising our plans also eludes to where or whom we’d be picking in the draft.

You aren't wrong on the front of what maybe saying such things really is saying.

Rasul played it in his past, also Matt's statements I took was for sure the plan as of this moment and until Stokes gets back. You add a high level CB in the draft possibly you quickly force a move honestly. It's similar to the concept of Gute responding with of course our goal is always to win the Super Bowl...but we are building for 2024 and 2025 more this year IMO.

Reaction score
You aren't wrong on the front of what maybe saying such things really is saying.

Rasul played it in his past, also Matt's statements I took was for sure the plan as of this moment and until Stokes gets back. You add a high level CB in the draft possibly you quickly force a move honestly. It's similar to the concept of Gute responding with of course our goal is always to win the Super Bowl...but we are building for 2024 and 2025 more this year IMO.
Plus correct me if I’m wrong, but CB looks pretty stout across Day 1-2.
11-12 of the top 15 rated DB’s are at Corner

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus correct me if I’m wrong, but CB looks pretty stout across Day 2
I love this CB class and while this isn't a pure way of looking at it CB has the second most of the VERY elite athlete types (9.5 RAS and higher) having 12 - which is more than even WR. Those guys include many Day 1 and Day 2 guys like Gonzalez, Banks, Brents, C Smtih, J Bennett, DJ Turner, Porter Jr, Rush all who I think are clearly gone by end of Day 2...and then guys like Moss, Trice and Hayes probably for sure by end of fifth. That is just the 9.5s and higher....there are some legit others that aren't even in that category that are Day 2 for sure too.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darnell Savage -
Tariq Carpenter -

I happen to be a Mrs. a Wiggins guy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Darnell Savage -
Tariq Carpenter -

I truly hope it's not true that Savage, Moore, Rudy and Leavitt are all locks to make the roster. Since Gutekunst has taken over the Packers have either kept four or five safeties on their initial 53. That would leave only a maximum of one spot for another player at the position while completely lacking any significant talent.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not really sure where to put this, but it will definitely effect some 2023 rosters around the league. Guess The Pete Rose lesson has been lost on some of these young guys.

Reaction score
Not really sure where to put this, but it will definitely effect some 2023 rosters around the league. Guess The Pete Rose lesson has been lost on some of these young guys.

Ouch!
Looks like the NFL especially doesn’t like when you bet on NFL games. A
1 year suspension in itself is pretty harsh.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ouch!

I'll bet you Calvin Ridley got the same Suspension. I'll give you 2-1 odds on it. :whistling:

What I find interesting, was it was 3 players from the same team and all WR's.

Sounds like the Lions just released Moore and Cephus as a result of it.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll bet you Calvin Ridley got the same Suspension. I'll give you 2-1 odds on it. :whistling:

Just so that people do not assume this post is correct. It was 4 players from the same team and 3 of them were WRs. The last line is correct. You would win the Ridley bet.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They should really explain this because if Williams was just as guilty as the others that got a year off, but because of his importance to the team they gave him less a fine, well then the system is broken.
I am sure it will come out.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should really explain this because if Williams was just as guilty as the others that got a year off, but because of his importance to the team they gave him less a fine, well then the system is broken.
I am sure it will come out.
Williams "only" bet on college games & supposedly had no inside info which is completely legal. His wrong-doing was he bet on games from the team's facilities. Other guys must have bet on pro games which is not legal for an NFL player to do.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams "only" bet on college games & supposedly had no inside info which is completely legal. His wrong-doing was he bet on games from the team's facilities. Other guys must have bet on pro games which is not legal for an NFL player to do.
Thanks for the verification.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Ouch!
Standard stuff going back to 1963 when Paul Hornung and Alex Karras got suspended for a year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I think this is pretty much always the case imo. The Packers fill immediate roster holes with free agents and draft towards where the expiring contracts are occurring a year out. They generally don't expect Rookies to fill immediate needs.

Members online

Latest posts