Tracking the 2023 Green Bay Roster

Reaction score
Eh possibly, I don’t expect Gute to ever enter a draft with such a cornered void he essentially must do something. I one hundred percent expect a FA veteran TE signing - even if it is Lewis alone, but someone.

I expect a similar signing like that for WR as well.
I agree it’s not in his nature. However that was then and this is now. I fully expect either a TE or WR selected this time, but leaning TE.

This draft we should conceivably get a few extra draft darts. There’s a very good chance one of those is Round 1 or Round 2. IF that’s the case? I believe there’s a significant chance that Gutey makes an exception. The main reasons being:

1. he’ll need to surround his Choice at QB with a weapon to give him every chance to succeed.
2. Last year he lost one of the best WR to ever play in GB and 2022 FA represented the largest dual WR contracts in FA (Hill and Adams)
3. We all watched Gute stand quietly as he witnessed the highest WR draft count in the top 20 since before he worked in GB.
4 We are selecting much earlier in the draft than we are used to.
5. We have extra selections.
6. The TE pool at the top 64 is strong
7. We are thin at a emphasized position of TE.
8. The WR pool in the top 64 has very few WR’s that fit our mold (mainly Slot options)
9. He can’t stand Rodgers imo and this would be the ultimate putting the screws to Aaron by finally breaking the mold.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

It seems almost surreal that we could possibly get a 2nd Rounder for Nijman who was Undrafted out of VaTech and carved into form over 4 seasons; then we could get a 4th Round Comp for Lazard after getting full use out of him, yet someone of the caliber of Aaron Rodgers under a multi year contract is considered by some as unworthy of that (because GB is similarly considering moving on).

I highly doubt any other team is interested in signing Nijman to a deal paying him more than the $4.304 million tender and give up a second rounder to acquire him on top of it. At this point Over The Cap projects the Packers will receive a fifth round compensatory pick for Lazard.

This draft we should conceivably get a few extra draft darts. There’s a very good chance one of those is Round 1 or Round 2. IF that’s the case? I believe there’s a significant chance that Gutey makes an exception. The main reasons being:

9. He can’t stand Rodgers imo and this would be the ultimate putting the screws to Aaron by finally breaking the mold.

As I mentioned in another thread, that would be a terrible reason to select a wide receiver or tight end early in this year's draft.

Reaction score
I highly doubt any other team is interested in signing Nijman to a deal paying him more than the $4.304 million tender and give up a second rounder to acquire him on top of it. At this point Over The Cap projects the Packers will receive a fifth round compensatory pick for Lazard.
That’s the idea isn’t it? As a team you try to tender your player to keep the knats away by elevating the cost to steal him. The mere fact that they put a 2nd Round tender on our UDFA? That just shows me where the market at OT is. The Packers are no exception to the league market either, we MUST give Love help succeeding and Tackle is critical to his success.
As I mentioned in another thread, that would be a terrible reason to select a wide receiver or tight end early in this year's draft.
I strongly disagree with both of you and Tyni on this one (you both generically disagreed with a full array of bullet points).
I’ll even double down on my own comments.
As of this moment I’d guess there’s a massive need between TE or WR in our first 2 Rounds in GB.
The draft will be here very soon maybe you and Tyni are right, maybe the Packers will just completely ignore both positions again until the 3rd Round or Day 3. In that case I’d be pretty disappointed in our Staff though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s the idea isn’t it? As a team you try to tender your player to keep the knats away by elevating the cost to steal him. The mere fact that they put a 2nd Round tender on our UDFA? That just shows me where the market at OT is. The Packers are no exception to the league market either, we MUST give Love help succeeding and Tackle is critical to his success.

I strongly disagree with both of you and Tyni on this one (you both generically disagreed with a full array of bullet points).
I’ll even double down on my own comments.
As of this moment I’d guess there’s a massive need between TE or WR in our first 2 Rounds in GB.
The draft will be here very soon maybe you and Tyni are right, maybe the Packers will just completely ignore both positions again until the 3rd Round or Day 3. In that case I’d be pretty disappointed in our Staff though.

Whoa whoa I've not said they're going to completely ignore...and like I've stressed multiple times I fully expect Gute to do what Gute does and sign/acquire insurance additions at positions with holes before the draft. Safety has been "shored" up in Moore and Ford, WR could be alleviated with a veteran signing (think like a Deandre Carter or a Perriman type low cost signing)...even a resigning of Juwann Winfree lessons the rooms dire straights some as he is so familiar with system.

I think WR in the draft of course outside of how prospects fall depends on the Jets trade as I see Mims, Moore or Davis all as very viable possibles coming back our way - each lessons our needs to very different degrees from a little to a lot.

Reaction score
Whoa whoa I've not said they're going to completely ignore...and like I've stressed multiple times I fully expect Gute to do what Gute does and sign/acquire insurance additions at positions with holes before the draft. Safety has been "shored" up in Moore and Ford, WR could be alleviated with a veteran signing (think like a Deandre Carter or a Perriman type low cost signing)...even a resigning of Juwann Winfree lessons the rooms dire straights some as he is so familiar with system.

I think WR in the draft of course outside of how prospects fall depends on the Jets trade as I see Mims, Moore or Davis all as very viable possibles coming back our way - each lessons our needs to very different degrees from a little to a lot.
I fully expect either a TE or WR selected this time, but leaning TE.
Whoa what. This was my how my post opened though. Then you agreed it wouldn’t happen in the first 2 Rounds I used.
It said OR leaning TE (inside 2 Rounds)

Surely you don’t think we won’t draft a TE or WR in 2 Rounds IF we have 3 selections from a trade? Maybe you thought I said WR only idk

I agree with WR only not happening because as I mentioned past the first Round I have many 2nd round WR groupings not being our typical physical attributes we like. If we get past those top 3? such as Smith Njigba or Johnston etc I think we go into 3rd Round or beyond before taking a WR. Just my guess.

PS. I agree that Future pre draft additions change our needs. I’m just working with what we have now information wise

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a world we get three picks in the first two rounds I do think one pick would be a WR or TE likely (I'd say about 70% so slightly more than 50/50 if forced to put odds on)...I however do strongly envision a world where if we only have two picks, and the strengths of this draft us not picking one at all in the first two rounds however.

Reaction score
In a world we get three picks in the first two rounds I do think one pick would be a WR or TE likely (I'd say about 70% so slightly more than 50/50 if forced to put odds on)...I however do strongly envision a world where if we only have two picks, and the strengths of this draft us not picking one at all in the first two rounds however.
I’m totally in agreement there. We should not put positional blinders on either I get that.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here’s a good article that popped today that goes with our conversion at the WR/TE need topic

Ssh stop discussing Trey Palmer - I am a massive fan of his and Xavier Hutchinson and Mingo. Those three are guys that may be had in 3rd round all with variety of strengths and I think pair well with what we have.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CB Ballentine is getting resigned, I’ll be honest I still think a strong level DB is getting added in the draft but I do like the resigns of Ballentine, Ford and Nixon - all show signs of various levels for their roles.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if they are negotiating with Amos? Unless I missed something. I like the re-signings. Makes me feel like they only need to draft 1 DB now and he could be either a corner or a safety.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Ssh stop discussing Trey Palmer - I am a massive fan of his and Xavier Hutchinson and Mingo. Those three are guys that may be had in 3rd round all with variety of strengths and I think pair well with what we have.
I've told you two to stop! Everyone is going to be clamoring to draft these guys now! :sick:

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if they are negotiating with Amos? Unless I missed something. I like the re-signings. Makes me feel like they only need to draft 1 DB now and he could be either a corner or a safety.
If there is a world we resign Amos I honestly wouldn't be shocked if we draft zero DBs the entire draft honestly.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, first of all $4.3 million is extremely cheap for a starting tackle not on his rookie deal anymore. In addition it's only $1.7 million above the right of first refusal tender.

Therefore it made sense for the Packers to use the second round tender on Nijman as there won't be any team interested in signing him to a better deal while giving up a second rounder to acquire him. With him being undrafted the team wouldn't have received any compensation if he signed with another club by putting the other tender on him.

I’ll

You completely misunderstood my reply. I agree both tight end and wide receiver is in need of an upgrade.

I don't consider reason #9 you listed to be a smart way to approach it though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The contract for Moore is AMAZING and takes adavantage of a lesser known new thing. Moore is taking a bet on himself approach and I love it - go to a team where immediately he will or is the front candidate for a starting safety role, and perhaps play into something big.

The veteran salary benefit rule was added to the CBA in 2020. The mechanism is used to provide smaller cap hits for veteran players with higher salary minimums. In this case, Moore’s minimum salary as a fifth-year player is $1,080,000, but the veteran salary benefit lowers his cap hit to the amount of the minimum of a player with only two accrued seasons ($940,000). Add in the $50,000 signing bonus, and Moore’s cap hit is $990,000 instead of $1,130,000. In other words, this rule saved the Packers $140,000 on the cap in 2023.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The contract for Moore is AMAZING and takes adavantage of a lesser known new thing. Moore is taking a bet on himself approach and I love it - go to a team where immediately he will or is the front candidate for a starting safety role, and perhaps play into something big.

The veteran salary benefit rule was added to the CBA in 2020. The mechanism is used to provide smaller cap hits for veteran players with higher salary minimums. In this case, Moore’s minimum salary as a fifth-year player is $1,080,000, but the veteran salary benefit lowers his cap hit to the amount of the minimum of a player with only two accrued seasons ($940,000). Add in the $50,000 signing bonus, and Moore’s cap hit is $990,000 instead of $1,130,000. In other words, this rule saved the Packers $140,000 on the cap in 2023.

Oh crap, just saw that Moore was a 3rd round pick, he is doomed in Green Bay! :x3:

Reaction score
I've told you two to stop! Everyone is going to be clamoring to draft these guys now! :sick:
Me Mingo. Me Mo Mammon
Oh crap, just saw that Moore was a 3rd round pick, he is doomed in Green Bay! :x3:
it’s only OUR draft picks that have the curse. Drafted Transfers do not apply.

It’s even possible he could lift the curse! Or then again.., he cause more cursing! :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Me Mingo. Me Mo Mammon

it’s only OUR draft picks that have the curse. Drafted Transfers do not apply.

It’s even possible he could lift the curse! Or then again.., he cause more cursing! :)
I have a great idea. Maybe Gute will let the Packer forum decide who the 3rd round pick is! It might finally snap the curse and we would collectively be rewarded for all of our hard work and support of their business, a service that is worth so much more that the paltry $110K that each of us get yearly from the Packers.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score

I'm not sure I've heard of this guy. His stats don't seem amazing. I know that is not the full story. Seems worth a shot at that price point.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
In other words, this rule saved the Packers $140,000
So it pays the salary and benefits for those two pretty girls that bring the water bottles out during timeouts.
much more that the paltry $110K that each of us get yearly from the Packers.
So that is where my annual bonus went.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure I've heard of this guy. His stats don't seem amazing. I know that is not the full story. Seems worth a shot at that price point.

Very high level athlete, third rounder, has start history for niners but an Achilles injury really stalled his chances. ST stalwart at worst, chance to throw name in the starting safety battle for sure if we don’t add a high level prospect in draft.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a great idea. Maybe Gute will let the Packer forum decide who the 3rd round pick is! It might finally snap the curse and we would collectively be rewarded for all of our hard work and support of their business, a service that is worth so much more that the paltry $110K that each of us get yearly from the Packers.
Have you been stealing my checks???

Reaction score
I am excited about Moore, this sounds like a very good signing at Safety in the mold of a Rudy Ford or Keisean Nixon type veteran who might just need a platform to shine.
I remember crossing him before the draft.
Another area where Brian scores well imo in in bringing in low-cost FA players that offer more value than their contract $. Sammy was a miss, but we basically paid him very minimal $$ so his deficient cost was more just due to taking a valuable roster spot/snaps.

I copied this next part from PackerWire:
“Overall, new deals for Moore, kickoff returner Keisean Nixon, tight end Tyler Davis and long snapper Matt Orzech cost $5,980,000 on the cap in 2023.”

That’s averaging $1.45mil for 4 guys that will likely be key starters on ST and at least 3 have opportunities to showcase as rotational in other phases. They are also each multi year veterans and now at prime age and experience level in their career. Thats being smart with meager $

LS Matt Orzech worked with K, Matt Gay and P, Johnny Hekker, who are household names. The converted DE/Baseball Pitcher who became a TE/Super Bowl Champion LS and led one of the higher graded FG units in a season (Rams 94.1% FG made 2021)

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts