Tracking the #1 seed

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah. We could’ve used some help with a Arizona or Tampa upset, but that Vikings loss is a sweet smelling aroma. At 5-7 the Vikings are likely 1-2 more losses from ending their hopes of a wild card spot. Too many teams in the NFC hanging around at mediocre

The Vikings are currently only one game behind the sixth seed in the NFC. It's possible eight wins could be enough to make the playoffs this year.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings are currently only one game behind the sixth seed in the NFC. It's possible eight wins could be enough to make the playoffs this year.
you are right…. however I sincerely hope not. It’s, frankly embarrassing to think an 8-9 team could make the playoffs.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
you are right…. however I sincerely hope not. It’s, frankly embarrassing to think an 8-9 team could make the playoffs.
I'm torn because on one hand, I'm going to absolutely love watching 6 games on wild card weekend. But on the other hand, it opens the door for an undeserving team to get a playoff berth.

Of course, there's also years where there's a deserving 7th team.

ALMOST makes you wish the Packers would finish as the 2nd seed and potentially romp the 7th seed, giving them enormous momentum. But all things considered, I'd rather have the bye week and having to play just 1 game to get to a home NFCCG.

Reaction score
I feel like if we get Tampa bay we better get them at Lambeau and it would be huge to have both Z and J back. That Tampa group concerns me more than AZ. We can beat them but we need to get some players back first

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I feel like if we get Tampa bay we better get them at Lambeau and it would be huge to have both Z and J back. That Tampa group concerns me more than AZ. We can beat them but we need to get some players back first
If the Bucs want the #1 overall seed, they had better win today. Losing to the Bills, and then the Packers winning a game in which they are double digit favorites (Bears tonight) would result in the Bucs having less than a 10% chance of getting the #1 seed.

That said, I'm not near as nervous about playing the Bucs as I was last year.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still am wary of the Bucs. I would feel good about our chances against any other NFC team, especially in Lambeau. But there's just something about Brady's intangibles that make him so incredibly difficult to beat in the playoffs. I'm hoping another team knocks them out before we have to play them, like the Panthers-Cowboys in 1996.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still am wary of the Bucs. I would feel good about our chances against any other NFC team, especially in Lambeau. But there's just something about Brady's intangibles that make him so incredibly difficult to beat in the playoffs. I'm hoping another team knocks them out before we have to play them, like the Panthers-Cowboys in 1996.
I agree. But I'd like to see Rodgers bring his record against Brady to a more respectable 2-3. The Bucs aren't as daunting this year as they were last year.

Reaction score
The way the Packers started the game after their bye week, I don't want the #1 seed. I'd rather play through to the NFCCG before getting the next week off.
I’d almost agree with you, from the rust perspective absolutely.
However, from the injury front that bye gives us a valuable week to heal up. If we weren’t the most injured team in the league I’d agree. Obviously not playing is a strategic advantage because we advance and no matter how good you play? There’s always a chance of having a bad game in Wld Card weekend. Look at that year we played Arizona and lost like 45-51 or whatever.

Rather, The Packers need to change up how they handle a bye week. Whatever they are doing is substandard. The Bye week schedule needs to be modified to allow some continuity. I’m not sure what the league allows, but I’d add an extra day of practice somewhere in between (reward them a day after the Win if they come out on fire)

Last edited:

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting the #1 seed is going to be hard. The Bucs have an absolute cakewalk schedule the rest of the year. My guess is that we have to run the table to get the bye.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rather, The Packers need to change up how they handle a bye week. Whatever they are doing is substandard. The Bye week schedule needs to be modified to allow some continuity. I’m not sure what the league allows, but I’d add an extra day of practice somewhere in between.

As far as I understand it the team would be allowed to practice during the bye week. They are only allowed to hold one padded practice per week during the postseason though.

Reaction score
It's actually four days and seems to apply for regular season bye weeks.
So my suggestion would be to mix things up a little (during/after the bye) Don’t let the Chile sit too long and some burn to the bottom of the pot.

I could care less as much how they mix it. They can use a butter knife if it makes them stir it, just please. No burnt Chile :tup:

Reaction score
Getting the #1 seed is going to be hard. The Bucs have an absolute cakewalk schedule the rest of the year. My guess is that we have to run the table to get the bye.
Well, we can’t control the Bucs so we need to do what we can control. Now Running the table means 4 games and we are the better team in all 4. It’s also possible our toughest game (at Baltimore) is played against their #2 QB or at least is with a Lamar w/running limitations. That’s a huge deal.

Past that. No one scares me. Minnesota got us last time without Jones and Gary at US Bank. That’s more substantial than many recognize. This time it’s in a hostile environment. I like our chances and my gut tells me we smoke them this time.

Cleveland is ok, but that’s a contest we should win at home.

The Lions will play tough, but we’re a much better rounded team.

I see GB finishing 14-3. We need some help, but we could be a #1 seed by 10pm tonight. Go Rams!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Watching this game, between 2 very good teams, 2 teams that the Packers beat, makes me feel pretty good about the Packers. Still wish we would have landed OBJ, it appears he is finally settling in with the Rams offense.

Reaction score
#1 Seed Green Bay Packers !!!

It’s ours to have.
Win out?
We get the top seed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers are in a position all teams dream of being in this time of year. Controlling its own destiny.

Just win!!!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had Arizona won last night and kept their foothold on the #1 seed, I was contemplating are we better to concede the race for it and let Rodgers heal his toe good and enter playoffs with him 100% or to continue pushing him and possibly have him hobbling around but have the #1 seed. Now that we are sitting in the driver's chair I don't think you can entertain it now, unless he truly goes down due to it in a game. The door has opened time to blast through and shut the thing behind us!

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Had Arizona won last night and kept their foothold on the #1 seed, I was contemplating are we better to concede the race for it and let Rodgers heal his toe good and enter playoffs with him 100% or to continue pushing him and possibly have him hobbling around but have the #1 seed. Now that we are sitting in the driver's chair I don't think you can entertain it now, unless he truly goes down due to it in a game. The door has opened time to blast through and shut the thing behind us!
Another interesting possibility (though perhaps unlikely) is the scenario in which each of Bucs, Cardinals, and Cowboys lose another game a piece between now and week 18. That would make the Lions game for the Packers irrelevant, as they would have the #1 seed sewed up. Rodgers could be sat, perhaps with other key starters.

This has always been a dicey approach as some times come out flat in the playoffs with too much rest, but Rodgers with 3 weeks rest would be something to entertain.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rams - Seahawks, Vikings, Ravens, 49ers.
Cardinals - Lions, Colts, Cowboys, Seahawks
Bucs - Saints, Panthers x 2, Jets
Packers - Ravens, Browns, Vikings, Lions
Cowboys - Giants, Washington, Cardinals, Eagles

Bucs have the easiest schedule and best placed to be #1.

All our games are winnable, but certainly not taken for granted. Tricky fixture.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another interesting possibility (though perhaps unlikely) is the scenario in which each of Bucs, Cardinals, and Cowboys lose another game a piece between now and week 18. That would make the Lions game for the Packers irrelevant, as they would have the #1 seed sewed up. Rodgers could be sat, perhaps with other key starters.

This has always been a dicey approach as some times come out flat in the playoffs with too much rest, but Rodgers with 3 weeks rest would be something to entertain.

Concur, I foresee the only chance we sit Rodgers for rest is that last week...but gonna need some help to do so. Rodgers would essentially rest 2 solid weeks and light third week to get back in swing. Not sure how long the pin would need to stay in, but wonder if two weeks would be long enough to even have surgery?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way the Packers started the game after their bye week, I don't want the #1 seed. I'd rather play through to the NFCCG before getting the next week off.
I'm not that high either on winning home field advantage. But I think I would rather play the Bucs in Lambeau. Just a feeling.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts