TOP-TEN: Worst Losses/Moments

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WHO REMEMBERS ALL THESE?

Here are my worst (most painful) 10 losses, and moments, in my Packer-fan "career".

#1- Playoff loss at Philly on the 4th & 26 game.
It had been about 8 years since we had won the Super Bowl, and that team had the potential to win the Super Bowl. We had this game won!
Then we would have gone to Carolina in the NFC Title game. They went to the Super Bowl and almost beat NE. Should have been a carbon copy of 1996 with us beating Car in NFCCG and then NE in Super Bowl. It was our destiny (everything went our way late) as we got lucky to even get IN to the playoffs, red hot like 2010, thanks to this on the season's final play, with the Packers watching at Lambeau:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

#2- This year's loss to Giants, coming off heels of 15-1 season and Super Bowl championship.
I didn't care about going undefeated as I assumed we'd lose one game, but I really felt like we would repeat because Rodgers and the receivers were so great. But they let us down, and so did the RB fumbles by Kuhn, and Grant, and the pathetic defense leading to the Hail Mary by Nicks. I can't get the bad taste out of my mouth here, and won't be able to until we get back to the next Super Bowl.

#3- NFC Title Game loss vs Giants in 2008, overtime.
It was death at that time, but I felt like it was almost all Farve's fault that time, which makes it easier to bare than ^ ^. But it hurt so much then because I had tickets to that Super Bowl in AZ and already had free airfare and a friend's house there.

#4- 2009-10 overtime playoff loss to Arizona, in Rodgers first playoff game.
Our offense was unstoppable, but he threw an Int on his first pass of the game, he overthrew a wide open Greg Jennings for a TD on the first play of overtime, and then he got strip-sacked, for the touchdown, season-ending killer a play after that. Gut-wrenching when everyone thought the team who got the ball in OT would win.

#5- Playoff loss at San Fran when the refs eff'd us on Jerry Rice's game-losing fumble, and then we allowed the mini-Hail Mary winning TD to Terrell Owens at the buzzer. No replay at that time or else that play would not have even happened. We were no match anyway, for Atlanta or Minnesota after that game anyway though. This was the 1998 season, and ended our 2-year run of Super Bowls.

#6- Super Bowl loss to Denver. The reason not higher, for me, was because I was still on a high, and still almost satisfied from the Super Bowl win the year earlier. Plus I liked Terrell Davis and felt Elway deserved a ring. But still..... should have had the ring there, were 12-point favorites and our defense played bad, stupid, and once again, Farve came up lame in a playoff crunch time.

#7- Playoff loss to Atlanta and Michael Vick in 2003. It was the first home playoff loss in franchise history, and the Packers, IIRC, could have earned the #1 seed had they beaten the Jets in week 17. We fell apart late in that season and bombed out one & done.

#8- Playoff loss, at home, to Minnesota and Daunte Culpepper. It was the week after we beat them to earn the division win and get that game at home. Farve lost his 2nd straight home playoff game for us.

#9- NFC Title game loss at Dallas in 1995. We were on the rise, and we led entering the 4th quarter. I STILL TODAY remember CBS or Fox putting up the graphic that the team leading after the 3rd quarter in NFC Championship games had won like 15 straight games, and it got my hopes up.
But alas, Farve came up blank late again in the playoffs, and again lost at Dallas.

#10- Regular season game, Monday Night Football, Vikings @ Packers, October of 1998.
We were the 2-time reigning NFC Champions, and had the longest home winning streak in memory. It was the rookie Randy Moss, whom I wanted BADLY to draft when he fell to us at #19 that April.
He, and the unretired Randall Cunningham, KILLED US, leading like 42-7 by halftime. Randy Moss changed the balance of powers immediately, and to do it to me, whom had driven from my house in Minnesota to the game at Lambeau, and to me who LOVED Moss at Marshall and felt that God was giving me an all-time gift to slide Moss from a probably top-5 pick to our laps on a silver platter at pick #19.... and Wolf chickened out, even though we were starting guys like Bill Schroeder at WR that year.

Worst moments for me were:
  1. Sterling Sharpe's neck, ending his career in his prime, right on our climb to greatness
  2. Robert Brooks torn ACL in 1996. I loved Brooks so much
  3. Al Harris and Aaron Kampman both tearing their ACLs within minutes, at home, vs SF 2 years ago. Neither played another down for us
    Terrance Murphy's neck, ending his promising career in his rookie year
  4. Drafting AJ Hawk over Haloti Ngata and Vernon Davis in the 2006 Draft with a rare #5 pick

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Losing the Super Bowl hurts a million times worse than losing on the road in Philly with a fair chance of knowing we were probably going to lose. And I'd much rather lose at home in the playoffs (2007 and 2011) than to know I'm going to be publicly embarrassed for the entire year when the the other team in the Super Bowl is announced as "defending Super Bowl champions" every Sunday.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Eagles one stuck with me longer than the others... because we seemed to have fate on our side to get in, and we HAD THAT GAME WON. Nobody converts 4th & 26.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone remember this game here?
If you're young, you never heard of it.
I know some others here remember it!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing the Super Bowl hurts a million times worse than losing on the road in Philly.
True but we didn't deserve to win that game vs Denver as our defense seemed to think Terrell Davis was just a guy like a John Kuhn or some stiff.
Denver deserved that game, and I just had no expectation Farve would tie it up at the end. He never came thru with any heroics in the playoffs his whole career.
Either easy wins, or tough losses.

But we were the better team in Philly for sure, and I tasted that win.
David Akers made two clutch 45-yard kicks to tie it and win it.... last year, he saved us though, thanks.
Kickers.
Vinitiri, Norwood, and Akers.....

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another one that stung me even going back further was the 1972 playoff lost to Washington. God we couldn't throw the ball in that game.