Top receiving unit in nfl?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Of course a guy is going to say he wanted to play for the team that drafted him come on now. It would've been the same story if the Packers drafted him im 100% sure. So to say there's nothing TT could've done is a bit far fetched..especially if you are looking for a job. It's like TT calling him and him being like "no thank you sir" I'm waiting for the Cowboys to call me haha. I can't imagine any player wanting to live out their NFL dream doing that. Especially with the uncertainty that he had.
Well then you have to expand your imagination. MMQB has a detailed account about what happened to Collins from the time the news of the murder hit to signing with the Cowboys. He likely would have been a first rounder so his agents had some leverage and they used it:
Collins’ agents eliminate 16 teams from contention and give briefings to the remaining suitors. The contract would be non-negotiable. Collins would get a guaranteed contract with no offsets, second- and third-year maximum salaries for a UDFA, and the remainder of Team X’s signing bonus cash pool. If he were ever charged or indicted in the murder investigation, the guarantees would disappear and the contract would be torn up.The agents narrow the list to a handful of teams, and then Collins cuts it down even more. He wants to be close to home, and he doesn’t want to be anywhere cold. He books a trip to Dallas.
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/15/lael-collins-nfl-draft-dallas-cowboys-murder-investigation/
I hate how ppl mix being "negative" and opinionated up. Not the same thing.
I think you’re the only one mixing up being opinionated with being negative. A lot of us are opinionated – I sure the hell am - but having strong opinions doesn’t mean they have to be negative. And you are negative the vast majority of the time on this board. Look at the example above – you had no idea what went on with Collins but criticized Thompson anyway in knee-jerk fashion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Cowboys didn't draft Collins they signed him as an undrafted free agent. Collins said that he didn't want to play for a cold weather team.

If you're interested in it here's a nice article on how he ended up in Dallas:

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/15/lael-collins-nfl-draft-dallas-cowboys-murder-investigation/

There's no denying that pass protection is the most important assignment for the Packers' offensive line and they excelled in it last season. You're entitled to your opinion as well but I would like them to improve in run blocking.
It's why I gave Dallas credit in my post, so I don't blame you for thinking you would trade lines with Dallas

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, the Cowboys OL was very suspect against pass protecting last season. Romo still took quite a few hard hits through the year. Their OL is more of a mauling bunch...great in the run game, average in the pass game against good pass rushers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly, the Cowboys OL was very suspect against pass protecting last season. Romo still took quite a few hard hits through the year. Their OL is more of a mauling bunch...great in the run game, average in the pass game against good pass rushers.

The Cowboys offensive line was ranked 5th in pass blocking efficiency and was only responsible for nine sacks last season. They're pretty good in pass protection as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

So you would rather have our line but think Dallas has a better line? You'll have to explain that one

First of all I wasn't the one saying Dallas has the best OL in the league. In addition I'm absolutely fine with four of the starters on the Packers OL but there's no denying Tyron Smith would be an upgrade over David Bakhtiari.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all I wasn't the one saying Dallas has the best OL in the league. In addition I'm absolutely fine with four of the starters on the Packers OL but there's no denying Tyron Smith would be an upgrade over David Bakhtiari.
Who has the best o line in the league in your opinion?

D

Deleted member 6794

Who has the best o line in the league in your opinion?

IMO the Ravens featured the best offensive line in the league last year. They only allowed a total of 19 sacks and blocked really well for Justin Forsett (3.1 yards average before contact).

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the Ravens featured the best offensive line in the league last year. They only allowed a total of 19 sacks and blocked really well for Justin Forsett (3.1 yards average before contact).
Yeah they are definitely good at both run block n pass blocking.
In this league you need to pass well to win imo, so I personally will take our line over any other. But Baltimore deserves a lot of credit for being top notch

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In this league you need to pass well to win imo, so I personally will take our line over any other. But Baltimore deserves a lot of credit for being top notch

You'd take our oline over both Dallas and Baltimore?? Yea, you don't sound like a HOMER at all haha. Were getting there with the run blocking tho, gotta stay healthy .

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You'd take our oline over both Dallas and Baltimore?? Yea, you don't sound like a HOMER at all haha. Were getting there with the run blocking tho, gotta stay healthy .
Not really. Our offense is centered around the pass and we are considered by pundits to be the best in the league in pass blocking. why would you want an o line for this team that is anything less than the best pass blocking line?

You probably would but that's expected out of you

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may come as a shock but TT is not above criticism nor is the organization perfect... Truth hurts I know haha. It'll be ok buddy I promise;)

He's also not even close to the goat that you think he is. There's good reason why he always comes up in the conversation whenever the topic of best GMs comes around on ESPN, NFL Network, etc.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers OL did an excellent job in pass protection last season, especially after Rodgers suffered the calf injury. But while PFF has them graded at the top of the list the unit is only 13th in sacks and fourth in total pressures responsible for. While they're definitely top notch in pass protection there are some stats indicating they might not be the best one.

How did our line rank, Captain?

Our line was responsible for a total of 18 sacks with the Texans OL leading the way with only eight. Our RBs only managed to gain 1.7 yards on average before contact.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers OL did an excellent job in pass protection last season, especially after Rodgers suffered the calf injury. But while PFF has them graded at the top of the list the unit is only 13th in sacks and fourth in total pressures responsible for. While they're definitely top notch in pass protection there are some stats indicating they might not be the best one.

Our line was responsible for a total of 18 sacks with the Texans OL leading the way with only eight. Our RBs only managed to gain 1.7 yards on average before contact.

Being 13th in sacks doesn't hold a lot of weight with me as the offense and qb are not the same. GB having a QB who loves deep plays and has a habit of holding the ball longer than he should at times is different than the offense who takes less sacks but doesn't have to hold protection as long.

D

Deleted member 6794

Being 13th in sacks doesn't hold a lot of weight with me as the offense and qb are not the same. GB having a QB who loves deep plays and has a habit of holding the ball longer than he should at times is different than the offense who takes less sacks but doesn't have to hold protection as long.

PFF's pass blocking efficiency ranking only takes sacks into consideration the offensive linemen are responsible for though. Sacks the QB is responsible for or coverage sacks aren't included so it's a pretty good reflection of the OL performance.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFF's pass blocking efficiency ranking only takes sacks into consideration the offensive linemen are responsible for though. Sacks the QB is responsible for or coverage sacks aren't included so it's a pretty good reflection of the OL performance.
I look farther into it and check out pressures allowed on an individual level, as I'm sure you do too

H

HardRightEdge

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I think it's relevant that the Packers simply don't throw the ball as often as most teams:

2014: 536 attempts, 20th. in the league
2013: 570 attempts, 18th. in the league
2012: 558 attempts, 16th. in the league
2011: 552 attempts, 14th. in the league
2010: 541 attempts, 15th. in the league

That's 551 attempts per season.

Compare to Detroit's 655 attempts per season over the same period.

That's a whopping 104 attempts per season difference, the number or targets typically allocated to a #3 receiver and then some.

Looking at last season, Cobb was not only the most productive slot receiver in the league, a very strong case can be made that he was the most productive WR in the league on a per target basis. Roll together his catch % per target, yards per target, first downs per target, TDs per target, YAC per target...those numbers taken together are hard to beat in any year.

Then there's Mr. Nelson's season which does not require elaboration.

There's a strong argument for the Packers having the most productive 1-2 combo in the league last year.

As for the "top receiving unit" in the league, the Packers will rarely qualify on gross numbers...they just don't throw the ball enough. Therefore, who cares.

D

Deleted member 6794

I look farther into it and check out pressures allowed on an individual level, as I'm sure you do too

It doesn't make a difference if you take a look at individual numbers, overall the Packers offensive line ranking stays the same.

D

Deleted member 6794

well I was going by you saying "only sacks".

It seems we talked at crossed purposes. To clarify, the Packers offensive line is ranked first in PFF grades, second in pass blocking efficieny which measures pressure allowed on a per-snap basis with weighting toward sacks allowed, fourth in total pressures allowed and 13th in sacks responsible for.

Members online

Latest posts