Top receiving unit in nfl?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
... Everything that's said not agreeing is usually deemed "negative" right off the bat 90% if the time. I'm Allowed to voice my option just like you are so if it bothers you so much here's a solution..don't read it? ... This may come as a shock but TT is not above criticism nor is the organization perfect...
C’mon rodell330, you aren’t saying the vast majority of your posts aren’t negative comments about the Packers, are you? It’s not like you frequently – or ever – disagree with a poster who is criticizing the organization/personnel & coaching staffs/players with positive comments about them.

Also, why even raise the straw men, “I’m allowed to voice my opinion” (unless you really meant “option” in which case you may want to just exercise it, or not ;)) and Thompson is not above criticism or perfect? Just as your posts aren’t 100% negative, no one is saying you can’t post your opinion or that Thompson is perfect.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C’mon rodell330, you aren’t saying the vast majority of your posts aren’t negative comments about the Packers, are you? It’s not like you frequently – or ever – disagree with a poster who is criticizing the organization/personnel & coaching staffs/players with positive comments about them.

Also, why even raise the straw men, “I’m allowed to voice my opinion” (unless you really meant “option” in which case you may want to just exercise it, or not ;)) and Thompson is not above criticism or perfect? Just as your posts aren’t 100% negative, no one is saying you can’t post your opinion or that Thompson is perfect.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I buy that rodell (the picture).

Look - let's get back to the thread. The obvious is that we have two really good receivers in Cobb and Nelson. The arguable is what kind of a sophomore season Adams will put together, how Janis and Abbrederis come on, and whether Montgomery can even get a game snap. I like Adams and hope to be wrong, but see him slightly improving over last year but not as much as everyone would hope. At the same time I believe that one of Janis or Abbrederis will impress enough to compete with Adamas for the 3rd spot.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally think that Adams is going to score 8-10 touchdowns next season..yea that's right I said it. I've NEVER had an issue with the wr core because as much as I get on TT he's done a stellar job at drafting Wrs...(so much for being negative) but until I see more production from the tightends I will continue to say thats the Achilles heel of the offense. You add a good pass catching threat at TE the earl Thomas's and Hunter Smiths of the world can just sit back and not worry about the seams where Finley was so good.

Uncle Rico

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the same time I believe that one of Janis or Abbrederis will impress enough to compete with Adamas for the 3rd spot.

All for competition in camp, but Adams showed me nothing to make me think he shouldn't be the #3 guy this fall. I predict more production out of him this fall building on his success as a rookie and with a full offseason under his belt.

I would like to see Montgomery step in and compete for that 4th spot with Janis and Abbrederis.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think our TE's are serviceable to average. They aren't bad, but at the same time, not great either. I wouldn't exactly say that our TE position is "terrible"...I think that'd be hyperbole to say so.

Just for the record, I never said anything about our tight ends being terrible.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have arguably the best O line in the league (dallas I see you), a top notch RB group, arguably the best WR core in the league, unquestionably the best QB in the league (shut up dallas), so I get the desire to have an above average TE situation but honestly this offense doesnt need it. Rodgers needs to be the security blanket and become a reliable target. He doesnt need to be anything more. I believe we will see the depth of this WR corp this season in training camp as well as preseason. I believe we will only carry the 5 best WRs, so someone is getting left out (janis is my guess)

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have arguably the best O line in the league (dallas I see you), a top notch RB group, arguably the best WR core in the league, unquestionably the best QB in the league (shut up dallas), so I get the desire to have an above average TE situation but honestly this offense doesnt need it. Rodgers needs to be the security blanket and become a reliable target. He doesnt need to be anything more. I believe we will see the depth of this WR corp this season in training camp as well as preseason. I believe we will only carry the 5 best WRs, so someone is getting left out (janis is my guess)

I don't think it'll be Janis..Abby is the one coming off a blown knee and has to prove he can over take Janis which I don't think he'll do seeing how he's basically a year behind. Could be Montgomery as well so......unless he tears it up returning kicks. Nelson, Cobb, Janis, Adams, and Abby.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers offensive line is exceptional in pass protection but only average in run blocking. Overall I think it´s a stretch to call them the best in the league.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers offensive line is exceptional in pass protection but only average in run blocking. Overall I think it´s a stretch to call them the best in the league.

Yea I saw that post...let's not get crazy now haha. Top 10 maybe ...and by that I mean more like 9 or 10. Give them another year or 2 and it could be higher. The cowgirls on the other hand? They have probably the most athletic line I've ever seen...even better than that mid 90s line they had. Ugh

D

Deleted member 6794

Yea I saw that post...let's not get crazy now haha. Top 10 maybe ...and by that I mean more like 9 or 10. Give them another year or 2 and it could be higher. The cowgirls on the other hand? They have probably the most athletic line I've ever seen...even better than that mid 90s line they had. Ugh

In addition the Cowboys added a top-15 talent in La´el Collins via undrafted free agency this offseason.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition the Cowboys added a top-15 talent in La´el Collins via undrafted free agency this offseason.

Saw that to haha..he's going to be the RT sooner than later. I can't believe we didn't reach out to this guy. That's for another topic tho . However.. Were not exactly stout at either tackle position IMO. Both guys are serviceable but Bulaga can't stay healthy. Could've gotten Collins for peanuts smh.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Saw that to haha..he's going to be the RT sooner than later. I can't believe we didn't reach out to this guy. That's for another topic tho . However.. Where not exactly stout at either tackle position IMO. Both guys are serviceable but Bulaga can't stay healthy. Could've gotten Collins for peanuts smh.

Collins said he wanted to play for the Cowboys after signing with them. There´s nothing Thompson could have done about it.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every time I see someone quote a player, coach, GM or virtually anyone else in these discussions, I usually start with "what else do you think he's say?" (especially, in this case, with the proviso that he said he wanted to play for the team he's going to play for). And, there's always something that can be done - we weren't dealing with loyalty here, just the best fit. There is something TT could have done about it, just not something he felt he could live with.

D

Deleted member 6794

Every time I see someone quote a player, coach, GM or virtually anyone else in these discussions, I usually start with "what else do you think he's say?" (especially, in this case, with the proviso that he said he wanted to play for the team he's going to play for). And, there's always something that can be done - we weren't dealing with loyalty here, just the best fit. There is something TT could have done about it, just not something he felt he could live with.

Well, Collins had the choice of playing for every single team in the league and chose the Cowboys. With the rookie compensation pool in place Thompson couldn´t have offered him more money either, so what do you think he could have done???

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If memory serves me correct, last year at this time, the Bears receiving corp. of Marshall, Jeffery and Bennett were listed as "the best in the NFL". I think the ranking forgot to take into account who was throwing to them? I love our WR's and the depth we now have, but as most point out here, they and us have Rodgers to thank.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Collins had the choice of playing for every single team in the league and chose the Cowboys. With the rookie compensation pool in place Thompson couldn´t have offered him more money either, so what do you think he could have done???

The places I go for contract info require payment for the details. From what I read, I understand that the current contract can be renegotiated in a year or two, and I'd assume that Jerry has a handshake deal to "make up" for what Collins lost through not being drafted. I don't know that much about the Cowboys line and, although I understand it's quite good, I don't doubt that Collins may have been promised a starting job, if not immediately, then, again, shortly. Don't know that it would have been in the Packers' interest to have explored payment or playing promises, but I just automatically shudder when absolutes there's nothing TT could have done) are espoused.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not to mention, if nearly all your posts are negative and derogatory in nature, and you react when a post is negative back at you . . .

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

As far as our receiving corps goes - I think it is one of the tops in the league. And a big part of that is Aaron Rodgers. Think of the WRs who have left here only to stink in their new teams. Jennings, Jones, and to a lesser degree, Boykins - all jump to mind.

There is some benefit to the synergies developed by overloading a position. Like WRs, one is great, and if you add another one or two, that takes DB focus from the great one. That will bump his production. But at some point you will see diminshing returns. Will adding a stud TE, help? Maybe, but as much as you may think.

D

Deleted member 6794

The places I go for contract info require payment for the details. From what I read, I understand that the current contract can be renegotiated in a year or two, and I'd assume that Jerry has a handshake deal to "make up" for what Collins lost through not being drafted. I don't know that much about the Cowboys line and, although I understand it's quite good, I don't doubt that Collins may have been promised a starting job, if not immediately, then, again, shortly. Don't know that it would have been in the Packers' interest to have explored payment or playing promises, but I just automatically shudder when absolutes there's nothing TT could have done) are espoused.

I agree that it´s mostly a lame excuse to say there´s nothing the Packers could have done but in this case I think it´s true. The Cowboys are allowed to renegotiate Collins´ contract in two years, one year earlier than if he would have been drafted.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins said he wanted to play for the Cowboys after signing with them. There´s nothing Thompson could have done about it.

Of course a guy is going to say he wanted to play for the team that drafted him come on now. It would've been the same story if the Packers drafted him im 100% sure. So to say there's nothing TT could've done is a bit far fetched..especially if you are looking for a job. It's like TT calling him and him being like "no thank you sir" I'm waiting for the Cowboys to call me haha. I can't imagine any player wanting to live out their NFL dream doing that. Especially with the uncertainty that he had.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention, if nearly all your posts are negative and derogatory in nature, and you react when a post is negative back at you . . .

Already over that sir....old news . Opinions man..opinions. I hate how ppl mix being "negative"and opinionated up. Not the same thing.

Reaction score
Already over that sir....old news . Opinions man..opinions. I hate how ppl mix being "negative"and opinionated up. Not the same thing.
Rodell, I'll side with you if you give me a "useful" tool icon rating. It's the only one Nobodies given me. I aspire to be "useful" one day! ( :

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PFF had them ranked as #4 in the league overall and #1 for pass protection. We of course could be better in run protection but for our offense I wouldn't trade less pass protection for better run blocking.

You and roddell are definitely entitled to think that the packers aren't a top notch O line but I will have to disagree with you. I wouldn't trade our o line for Dallas or any other in the league.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course a guy is going to say he wanted to play for the team that drafted him come on now. It would've been the same story if the Packers drafted him im 100% sure. So to say there's nothing TT could've done is a bit far fetched..especially if you are looking for a job. It's like TT calling him and him being like "no thank you sir" I'm waiting for the Cowboys to call me haha. I can't imagine any player wanting to live out their NFL dream doing that. Especially with the uncertainty that he had.

He wanted to play close to home and refused to play anywhere cold. The only option Ted would have had would of been to draft him in a late round

D

Deleted member 6794

The Cowboys didn't draft Collins they signed him as an undrafted free agent. Collins said that he didn't want to play for a cold weather team.

If you're interested in it here's a nice article on how he ended up in Dallas:

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/15/lael-collins-nfl-draft-dallas-cowboys-murder-investigation/

PFF had them ranked as #4 in the league overall and #1 for pass protection. We of course could be better in run protection but for our offense I wouldn't trade less pass protection for better run blocking.

You and roddell are definitely entitled to think that the packers aren't a top notch O line but I will have to disagree with you. I wouldn't trade our o line for Dallas or any other in the league.

There's no denying that pass protection is the most important assignment for the Packers' offensive line and they excelled in it last season. You're entitled to your opinion as well but I would like them to improve in run blocking.

Members online

Latest posts