Top needs going into the off season

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's one of those "What ifs?" that will never be answered but, remember Hawk was originally drafted to be a Will backer in Sanders' 4-3 defense. He had a very solid career going in that role. Would he have been a Hall of Fame backer in a 4-3? Don't know but, it's one of those interesting thought experiments.

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patriots offense rolled with Edelman and amendolu. No reason cobb and montgomery couldn't be great assets on the same team. I also don't see how anyone can make the claim that montgomery looked lost on the sideline. They never really looked at him out there

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patriots offense rolled with Edelman and amendolu. No reason cobb and montgomery couldn't be great assets on the same team. I also don't see how anyone can make the claim that montgomery looked lost on the sideline. They never really looked at him out there

He's at his best in the middle of the field, on the sidelines he's not the same player and that's been true since college. He would have been a first rounder otherwise.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's one of those "What ifs?" that will never be answered but, remember Hawk was originally drafted to be a Will backer in Sanders' 4-3 defense. He had a very solid career going in that role. Would he have been a Hall of Fame backer in a 4-3? Don't know but, it's one of those interesting thought experiments.

Maybe if he kept his weight down at 240 and under. I think he spent too much of his career with too much weight and became too conservative a player as a result. Every once in a while he'd cut loose and play with abandon, and he looked outstanding when he did. But then he'd return to his old self the following weeks.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thing there are fifty yards between the sidelines for those guys to run around in...or is Julian Edelman not a good WR in your opinion either?

How'd Randall look with those 50 yards of space last season? A real number one can't be schemed against as easily. Teams just brought a safety up in the box and Randall Cobb looked... average. Heck even when he was wide open he kept dropping bunnies.

Edelman's a good receiver, but what is he worth? Cobb is potentially a great offensive weapon but he's just not worth what we're paying him. Look ideally we'd have a 20 million per year quarterback, which we have, a quality OL which we have parts of, an elite wide receiver which we've had but who knows how well he recovers from an ACL, and then two dynamic tightends who can catch and block. You then run a hurry up offense with Cobb motioning between the backfield and the slot. The trouble, how much money do we need to spend on offense for Cobb to be an effective weapon? Thirty million dollars between Jordy and Aaron Rodgers, and if Jordy Nelson goes down we're screwed. I'd rather have a true number two who can also work outside and keep teams from crowding us inside the hashmarks. I could see Randall Cobb at 7 maybe 8 mill per year, but 10 is too much.

BTW check out Julian Edelman's contract and then look at Randall Cobb's,

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...id/4760458/closer-look-at-edelmans-contract-2

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ndall-cobb-packers-agree-to-fouryear-40m-deal

Would I call out Randall Cobb if he was making Julian Edelman money? Nope, but sorry Mr. Cobb robbed this team.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's at his best in the middle of the field, on the sidelines he's not the same player and that's been true since college. He would have been a first rounder otherwise.
That's good enough. You use your players to their strengths, not put them in a system that shows off their weaknesses as it did this prior year.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's good enough. You use your players to their strengths, not put them in a system that shows off their weaknesses as it did this prior year.

That's why I actually like Monty more than Cobb in some ways. Randall is a faster more explosive player but we saw last season that teams can scheme him out of games just by bringing a safety up in the box. With Monty sure you can do that but he's such a load on a physical level. Football wisdom, big running backs who can get into the secondary will break the back end of a defense. Every time we get Monty into the second level with a little bit of space it's like getting a big running back to the second level.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure last year is a fair year to judge. Sure it says something, but it doesn't say everything. It was a year where our Pro bowl and former offensive rookie of the year RB fell of the face for many games, our other RB developed a fumbling problem, our offensive line was abysmal to start the year and injured the rest. Our MVP QB was not playing like himself and our offense sputtered all year.

Cobb shoulders his share of the burden, but i'm not accusing him of stealing from this team after one season in which EVERYONE seemed to have a down year. He has a few more years of steady growth and leadership that point to him earning some money rather than stealing it. Maybe it ends up he has, but i'm giving him another season.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol is easy still trying to tell people Randall Cobb robbed the team? That's why I have his tail on ignore spouting that bullshite.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure last year is a fair year to judge. Sure it says something, but it doesn't say everything. It was a year where our Pro bowl and former offensive rookie of the year RB fell of the face for many games, our other RB developed a fumbling problem, our offensive line was abysmal to start the year and injured the rest. Our MVP QB was not playing like himself and our offense sputtered all year.

Cobb shoulders his share of the burden, but i'm not accusing him of stealing from this team after one season in which EVERYONE seemed to have a down year. He has a few more years of steady growth and leadership that point to him earning some money rather than stealing it. Maybe it ends up he has, but i'm giving him another season.

It's a hyperbolic remark. But how do you fell Randall Cobb's deal compares with Julian Edelman?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a hyperbolic remark. But how do you fell Randall Cobb's deal compares with Julian Edelman?
No idea, I really have no clue how much Edelman makes. I've always liked what I've seen from him, don't have a lot bad to say about him either. But Cobb just came off a pretty good year, has a history of being a real team guy, great attitude, getting better and tough player. (when he was set to be a FA) I expect him to earn his money on the coming years, but unless Edelman just signed a contract under the same circumstances, it's hard to judge.

Ok, I had to look up contracts. They're not that far apart in guaranteed money and they were signed in different seasons. markets change from year to year with players available etc and I think Edelman signed an extension and not a FA contract so I think that is different too. Lots of things affect worth in a season, at least in terms of what it takes to sign a player. Just like the extension we signed with Jordy before he was a FA was very friendly to the team, extensions tend to be that way.

But either way, I do expect more from Cobb in the coming years. He's not the type of player I worry about him not trying his hardest to earn his money.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Would I call out Randall Cobb if he was making Julian Edelman money? Nope, but sorry Mr. Cobb robbed this team.
After this season I certainly understand fans thinking Cobb is overpaid, but that characterization didn’t make sense after the 2014 season when the contract was signed for at least three reasons. First his production for that season: 91 receptions for 1,287 yards, a 14.1 ypc average and 12 TDs – the longest a 70-yarder. Second, the Packers were eagerly complicit in the “robbery” since it was widely reported the Raiders were willing to pay him more than he received from Green Bay. Third, Cobb was 24 years old when he signed the contract and although I don’t particularly like the phrase, he is definitely “Packer people”.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After this season I certainly understand fans thinking Cobb is overpaid, but that characterization didn’t make sense after the 2014 season when the contract was signed for at least three reasons. First his production for that season: 91 receptions for 1,287 yards, a 14.1 ypc average and 12 TDs – the longest a 70-yarder. Second, the Packers were eagerly complicit in the “robbery” since it was widely reported the Raiders were willing to pay him more than he received from Green Bay. Third, Cobb was 24 years old when he signed the contract and although I don’t particularly like the phrase, he is definitely “Packer people”.
Do we want Cobb on the team? Absolutely. But had he proven he could be a #1 receiver to make #1 receiver money? No. Bad teams like Oakland typically overpay for players who have had success on good teams. GB wouldn't have signed a guy like Cobb to a $10 million per year contract if he were a FA from a different team, they just wanted consistency.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think the FO can be excused for overvaluing Randall Cobb. But I believe that his skillset is somewhat limited as a pure wide receiver. His primary strength is his versatility but versatility has it's limits when you lack sufficient supporting talent. We lacked for receivers last year, without sufficient talent in the passing game Cobb's limitations became evident.

Next season Julian Edelman will have a cap hit of 4.4 million, Randall Cobb 9.1 mill.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
GB wouldn't have signed a guy like Cobb to a $10 million per year contract if he were a FA from a different team, they just wanted consistency.
Well that's unfair: Green Bay doesn't sign FAs from a different team! ;)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think the FO can be excused for overvaluing Randall Cobb. But I believe that his skillset is somewhat limited as a pure wide receiver. His primary strength is his versatility but versatility has it's limits when you lack sufficient supporting talent. We lacked for receivers last year, without sufficient talent in the passing game Cobb's limitations became evident.
I don't disagree with any of that, I was just putting Cobb's contract in the perspective of the season he had just completed.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think the FO can be excused for overvaluing Randall Cobb. But I believe that his skillset is somewhat limited as a pure wide receiver. His primary strength is his versatility but versatility has it's limits when you lack sufficient supporting talent.

Next season Julian Edelman will have a cap hit of 4.4 million, Randall Cobb 9.1 mill.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't disagree with any of that, I was just putting Cobb's contract in the perspective of the season he had just completed.

I'll confess that his shoulder injury might have limited his ability to separate, but I tended to think even after 14 that he wasnt worth number 1 receiver money. But who knows maybe Jordy stays healthy next year and Randall Cobb has a banner year.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we want Cobb on the team? Absolutely. But had he proven he could be a #1 receiver to make #1 receiver money? No. Bad teams like Oakland typically overpay for players who have had success on good teams. GB wouldn't have signed a guy like Cobb to a $10 million per year contract if he were a FA from a different team, they just wanted consistency.

Comming off the year that he had just got done having last season that 10 million looked like a value deal when we inked him to it.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Comming off the year that he had just got done having last season that 10 million looked like a value deal when we inked him to it.
How many receivers in the league could have that production with Rodgers, though? James Jones was the league leader in TDs before.
I think the FO can be excused for overvaluing Randall Cobb. But I believe that his skillset is somewhat limited as a pure wide receiver. His primary strength is his versatility but versatility has it's limits when you lack sufficient supporting talent.

But like Cobb, take Gronk away and people can focus more attention on Edelman. He'll still get his share of catches, because it's a more receiver-friendly system, but he's nobody's main concern when the best target in the league is also on the field.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall is a faster more explosive player but we saw last season that teams can scheme him out of games just by bringing a safety up in the box.

For me, Cobb is the supporting talent here. You always need a X receiver to draw the coverage. Jordy's verticals does that enabling Cobb to shine. Put Cobb one one one and he'll get the better against most coverage. Without Jordy, clamping down on Cobb by doubling him up is quite easy. Nothing on Cobb, but it's way more difficult for any versatile player to do that.

Members online

Latest posts