Top 5 Underrated/Overrated Packers

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am bored and am just curious to who you think are the top 5 Underrated/Overrated Packers. Here is mine

Underrated

1. Donald Driver - despite several 1000 yard seasons people still will not recognize him as a true #1.

2. William Henderson - True consistentsy but outside of Packer nation never gets the credit he deserves

3. Rob Davis - I've got to give the long snapper some love

4. Aaron Kampman - Tough and hard nosed, may be ready to breakout.

5. Al Harris - Rarely is he mentioned with the true shutdown corners but over the last few years has been solid.

Overrated

1. KGB - Though I love the guy, he is a liability against the run.

2. Charles Woodson - May be to early, but the guy has been overrated his whole career

3. Nick Barnett - A case of speed being a liabilty. Often over pursues and gets caught out of position.

4. Bubba Franks - Not really his fault, he just was not used enough in the middle of the field

5. Robert Ferguson - Now I know some will say that "we know he sucks" but honestly I think he is worse than the already known ineffective reciever he is. Nothing about him impresses me.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Underrated
1. Tauscher - not flashy, not pretty, just damn good.
2. Driver - ditto
3. Clifton - As long as Walter Jones plays, Chad won't make the pro bowl. The only reason other fans know him is the Warren Sack hit.
4. Ahman Green - led league in total yards over a five year period. People can only talk about his fumbles. (Stupidity) He also keeps Favre's jersey clean on blitzes, which I'm sure Brett missed last year.
5. D-line rotation - no-one stands out, but they all bring it, now that **** is gone.

Over-rated
1. KGB - Uhm, can you learn a bull rush! You remind me of Jason Gildon, plus way overpaid.
2. Mark Roman - a safety that can't cover a tight end should not be on the field.
3. Samkon Gado - overhyped because he was one bright spot in a baaad year.
4. Charles Woodson - too much money. I hope he can show some humility in a conservative midwestern city.
5. Walker/Mckenzie/Sharpier - **** all of you!

Great thread Pyle!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah good thread, pyle!!!!

Under-Rated

1. Al Harris - He only gets respect\love from Chad Johnson, who he owned.
2. Scott Wells - He outplayed Flanny the majority of the last two years, mostly cuz Flanny was hurt, and some cuz Wells was improving as a center, and now he will probably be out starting center for years.
3. Donald Driver - I never thought of him as a legit #1 until last year, when he made play after play, and the other teams KNEW he was the only guy out there worth defending. Amazing.
4. Samkon Gado - He is struggling in camp (at this time), and a lot of people think he is a flash in the pan, but he did GREAT things, in LIMITED time, with a HORRIBLE o-line.
5. Donald Lee - When you are one of Favres go-to guys, you must have some talent. He is also improving, so he could do some great things in 2006\07.

Over-Rated

1. Bubba Franks - Mr. Red Zone...and even that has gone down.
2. Ahmad Carroll - ...............................................
3. Mark Roman - his pass defense is ok, but his tackling makes me cry.
4. Lionel Washington - Cornerbacks coach. Is HE to blame for us having no young DBs being able to mature\improve? I've said his name before (post 2005 recap) and nobody cares to give him a look. TT\MM kept him around, and I think that could be a bad move. However, we're not stuck with only YOUNG DBs, since we have Woodson\Harris.
5. KGB - We all know why, it has been stated. It wouldnt be so bad if he wasnt paid an outrageous amount of money.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
I am bored and am just curious to who you think are the top 5 Underrated/Overrated Packers. Here is mine

Underrated

1. Donald Driver - despite several 1000 yard seasons people still will not recognize him as a true #1.

2. William Henderson - True consistentsy but outside of Packer nation never gets the credit he deserves

3. Rob Davis - I've got to give the long snapper some love

4. Aaron Kampman - Tough and hard nosed, may be ready to breakout.

5. Al Harris - Rarely is he mentioned with the true shutdown corners but over the last few years has been solid.

Overrated

1. KGB - Though I love the guy, he is a liability against the run.

2. Charles Woodson - May be to early, but the guy has been overrated his whole career

3. Nick Barnett - A case of speed being a liabilty. Often over pursues and gets caught out of position.

4. Bubba Franks - Not really his fault, he just was not used enough in the middle of the field

5. Robert Ferguson - Now I know some will say that "we know he sucks" but honestly I think he is worse than the already known ineffective reciever he is. Nothing about him impresses me.

The only one I have a huge issue with is Barnett. I can't believe people (you aren't the only one I've heard this from) think #56 is OVER-RATED. I guess, in my mind, he might be underrated. Watch and see AJ Hawk and Nick Barnett become probably the best 2 LB's in the NFC North for years to come and I could give a sh*t that Urlacher is in the division...my opinion.

The rest look good to me... :)

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I'll give a go at this...

Overrated
1. BJ Sander - I know, people know by now that he sucks but what is he still doing in an NFL camp? The guy doesn't belong....3rd round pick....makes me want to vomit.

2. KGB - overpaid, disappears against the run and has one pass rush move...hmm

3. Charles Woodson - making a ton of dough and has been hurt for most of the last 4 years. I think he'll make somewhat of a splash in GB though...

4. Samkon Gado - could come off this list in a hurry if he shows what he did last year. One good year does not make a career right Javon?

5. Brett Favre - :shock: just kidding :shock:

5. Boerichter - he'll make plays all over the field and get little props for it...kind of like a Jurevicius. Just wait and see...

Underrated
1. Nick Collins - came in his rookie year and held up his end of the bargain week in and week out. I think we'll find out in the next couple of years that this guy is a STAR...

2. Nick Barnett - all the guy does is make tackles and tackles and tackles...overpursues, yes..gets caught up in traffic, sometimes...I still think the +'s outweight the -'s with him and he'll be a Pro Bowler.

3. Al Harris - shutdown corner...ask Chad Johnson. Then again, don't. #85 will come up with some lamea$$ excuse as to why he was shutdown.

4. Donald Lee - this guy looks the part but just needs the opportunity again this year. A tight end that can stretch the field and is too fast for LB's and too big for DB's.

5. Mark Tauscher - as someone mentioned earlier, not real flashy but gets the job done.

OK, that's my take...good thread pyle.

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
4packgirl said:
Zero2Cool said:
Over, Brett
Under, Ahmad

I'll explain later.

i'd love to hear this!!! :roll: :wink: :p

I agree with him. Brett is a great QB one of the best of all times but in packers fans eyes i think he is overrated. Ahman is underacpreciated some packers fans think he's done, Gado should start and he will never get another pro bowl or evn 1k season again.

I'll post my list later

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Barnett led the NFC in tackles, no? but its just opinions.

I knew this was a touchy player to put on my overrated list. I love Nick Barnett and think he is on the verge of becoming a Pro Bowler BUT it frustrates me sometimes to see him out of position.

I guess I think of him as Overrated by Packer fans and underrated by the general NFL fan.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
4packgirl said:
Zero2Cool said:
Over, Brett
Under, Ahmad

I'll explain later.

I agree with him. Brett is a great QB one of the best of all times but in packers fans eyes i think he is overrated. Ahman is underacpreciated some packers fans think he's done, Gado should start and he will never get another pro bowl or evn 1k season again.

I'll post my list later

Ahmad, thetombradyhater, Ahmad....not AHMAN...AHMAD!!! :p

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
thetombradyhater said:
4packgirl said:
Zero2Cool said:
Over, Brett
Under, Ahmad

I'll explain later.

I'll post my list later

my bad. By now i think everyone knows i suck at spelling

Ahmad, thetombradyhater, Ahmad....not AHMAN...AHMAD!!! :p

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just giving you a little grief man...just that Ahmad is a whole different ballgame than Ahman...especially on this forum.

It's cool man.....

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
Actually I think I had it right. Its Ahman Green and Ahmad Carroll

yeah it definaly is YOUR WRONG

Why don't you re-read the thread smarty??? You quote Z2C when he writes about Brett being over-rated and Ahmad being under-rated and respond by agreeing with him with Brett and Ahman?!?

Sheesh... :roll:

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
thetombradyhater said:
Actually I think I had it right. Its Ahman Green and Ahmad Carroll

yeah it definaly is YOUR WRONG

Why don't you re-read the thread smarty??? You quote Z2C when he writes about Brett being over-rated and Ahmad being under-rated and respond by agreeing with him with Brett and Ahman?!?

Sheesh... :roll:

O well anyways I was talking about Ahman Green my bad.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overrated

1. Robert Ferguson- We've already seen all he's ever going to do at WR. Good special teams player though when healthy (which isn't very often).

2. David Martin- Give me a break. Save us the wait and get injured now so that someone else has a chance.

3. Najeh Davenport- See above. Hurry up and get injured before Martin and Ferguson does, first one to the training room gets the Gatorade.

4. Bubba Franks- Good blocker, fair receiver but Pro Bowl player? I don't think so.

5. Brett Favre- Probably the best I've ever seen back when he could pass, run and make decisions on the fly. Now he can pass.

Underrated

1. Mark Tauscher- The guy is a model of consistency. 6-years without a holding penalty and a handful of sacks allowed, and all everyone can talk about is moving him to guard. Ought to move him to the Pro Bowl instead.

2. Nick Barnett- Yeah, he overruns plays once in a while, but he is one of the top tacklers in the NFL. Give credit where credit is due.

3. Aaron Kampman- Nothing flashy, will never be a star, but the ultimate workout warrior and team player.

4. Samkon Gado- Everybody treats him like chopped liver, but in the few games he played last year (behind a terrible offensive line) he was well on his way to a 1,000 yard season. Would love to see what he could do in better circumstances.

4. Ahman Green- I almost added him to my overrated list, but you know, when healthy teams do have to game plan for him. Can't say that about too many other players on our roster.

JMHO.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overrated

1. Charles Woodson - Will be a huge upgrade over Carroll but isn't going to be the player we think. Might be better off at Free Safety than CB especially if one of the young guys develop.

2. Robert Ferguson - People want him to break out. When will we realize he's not the player he was supposed to be. It's great to be optimistic about players but you also have to use an unbiased approach.

3. Ahmad Carroll - See above, He's not really overrated but they're are a few fans on here that think he has HUGE potential. He doesn't. He never had and he'll end up as a solid nickel and dime back. That's what he was a nickel and dime back. A 3rd round player. Not a 1st.

4. KGB - Kabeer will be gone next year I think. He's a liability against the run and he's not the pass rusher he once was. He's very overpaid. He's a 3rd down pass rusher, not an every down player. Wouldn't start on more teams than you may think.

5. Rod Gardner - A lot of people feel he's the answer to our #2's. I think he'll be CUT in the in August. He's missed practices, he's an underachiever, and he's shown signs of laziness.

Underrated

1. Corey Williams - Corey Williams is the most underrated player period. He shows up, does his thing, and does it well. I honestly think Williams will be the starter this year and it's well overdue.

2. Ryan Pickett - People who criticized Thompson's off season, don't know a thing about this guy. He was a 1st round pick. Underachieved for his first couple of years. Last year though he broke out and lead all defensive lineman in the league with tackles. He's an upgrade over Grady in my opinion. Younger and Better and he'll prove to be a huge signing.

3. Mike Hawkins - Mike Hawkins had a better rookie year than Carroll did his rookie year. Hawkins is raw and full of talent. IF that talent is reached, Hawkins could bump Carroll and Carroll could be released by this time next year. In other words, Carroll needs to look over his shoulder and step up because this guy can play.

4. Aaron Kampman - Kampman is the best defensive player we have. He's the leader of our defense and he's a hard worker. He's someone you model yourself after. Not guys like Grady Jackson and Cledius Hunt.

5. SamKon Gado - Gado is for real. He hits the hole fast and he has great feet. He's a hard worker and he wants to be here. He'll be the starter this season. 2 reasons. 1. Ahman Green and Davenport won't be able to see enough reps in pre season games. They're out until August. 2. Gado is younger and has fresher legs. He's getting a first hand look of the new offensive scheme.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just a list of how reputations match reality.

Overrated

1. Robert Ferguson- Over priced.

2. David Martin- Shows up for every third game or so for a catch. Likes sitting in the Whirlpool more than practicing. Does just enough to not get cut.

3. Najeh Davenport- KR okay. Now getting too old for #3 RB
4. Chad Clifton- Drafting Colledge was not an error but planning for the future. Having a stable linemate next to Clifton will help but he still gets too many penalties.

5. Vonta Leach- Drafting an FB on day 2 would have been a good thing.

Mentioned- Hawk(hey he is just a rookie) he will need time.

Underrated

1. Mark Tauscher- Humble guy who deserves the Pro Bowl.

2. Nick Barnett- Fast and can run in coverage. Too small to take on linemen. In the right scheme far better than credit given.

3. Aaron Kampman- Smart guy who keeps getting better.

4. Noah Herron- Put up great numbes against Big Ten competition at Northwestern. With some time in the system will turn a few heads.

5. Mark Boerigter- Has looked great in passing drills so far.

Honorable mention to Whitticker, Montgomery, Collins. These guys will improve a lot. Real sleeper- Tra Boeger undrafted rookie.

Overall, The list is getting better.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overrated

1, Vonta Leach - doesn't block as well as some like to give him credit for, and he can't catch.

2. KGB - Hurts us badly against the run.

3. Ahman Green - I hope he can come back healthy, but he wasn't looking good last year. He still continues to have costly fumbles.

4. Mark Roman - He really isn't that bad, just not good enough to be our starter.

5. Robert Ferguson - Doesn't fight for the ball.

Underrated
1. Nick Barnett - plays hard all the time and keeps getting better.

2. Bubba Franks - No he can't go deep, but is a great blocker.

3. Aaron Kampman - Has a great motor.

4. William Henderson - Great pro.

5. Donald Driver - Great player and leader.

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
back to the subject...how any ONE of you dorks(trying to be nice) can claim that favre is overrated is beyond lucid, intelligent thinking.

because you just know that there are Packer fans that still think he is a top QB in the league and he is not. He still is a good/above average QB but hes not at the top.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
back to the subject...how any ONE of you dorks(trying to be nice) can claim that favre is overrated is beyond lucid, intelligent thinking.

29 INT
5 Fumbles LOST

That averages nearly TWO give aways a game. You don't give the other team two 'bonus' tries to score.

Brett is probably my favorite QB of all time, but I'm not naive to the fact that his skills have diminished and to think he is still the best player in the NFL is inaccurate in my opinion.

I don't think last year makes him a poor QB, but I've seen his decision making get worse since Holmgren left, year by year.

I hope he can return to his MVP form and snag another MVP season like Gannon did.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of those INT's from Brett were Brett Favre "punts". You think he was waiting on BJ to kick it 9 yards? He!! no, chuck it into the crowd down by the goal line and tackle the S.O.B, bingo you now have a 55 yard punt.

Members online

Latest posts