Top 5 Packers

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL Network had a top 10 Patriots list. I wanted to narrow down Packers greatest players. Top 5. Who do you have? My list:

1. Vince Lombardi. Not a player. However was an innovator and simply top coaches ever.

2. Bart Starr. Management/coaching circus aside, one of the most underrated QB's ever. Won NFL titles and Ice Bowl sticks in my mind.

3. Reggie White. Here only six seasons. Yet the guy was dominant. He is up there with L.T as greatest at his position. He was a driving force behind changing Packers identity. guy was just too darn good not to have him here.

4. Brett Favre. Obviously the iron man, brought Packers back to the glory land. Was tough deciding between him and Reggie. He's here for winning a SB and everything he did. Yet, ot interception vs Eagles, Giants, six pick game vs Rams, really stick with me. I don't think the guy was truly great when it mattered most.

5. Ray Nischke. Defensive force. Didn't put Curly Lambeau as it is way way before my time.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
1.) Starr (Goes without saying)
2.) Favre (Could have been #1....but)
3.) Nitschke (True Packer defensive legend)
4.) Hutson (Before Rice....there was Hutson)
5.) White (Would have been way higher had he played more years in GB)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't call 6 very productive years a "rental player". Reggie is in my list of top 5 Packers. Favre to MN was a rental player.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure about Reggie. He played a long time in philly. For a defensive end...Willie Davis. And no way you can leave off Hutson. Been a lot of great ones. Maybe there should be a whole lot of ties.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre

Rodgers

Reggie White

Charles Woodson

Donald Driver

Just listing players I've actually seen play. As a youngin approaching 30, I don't feel qualified to comment on packers I've never experienced.

H

HardRightEdge

There are really too many to name. A top 25 or 30 without ranking might be possible.

Taylor, Gregg, Davis, Adderley and Wood have not yet been mentioned.

Hornung would be on the bubble for my top 30. He had one great year in 1960 (which was not a championship team), two other good years, and that's about it.

And I don't think it is appreciated how little he touched the ball over his career. 893 carries + 130 receptions = 1,023.

For perspective, Lacy has 859 run/catch touches to date, and he's not exactly a workhorse.

Hornung gets points for bringing style and panache to Green Bay.

Of course, Lombardi called him perhaps the "best all around back ever to play football". The only way to give that claim credibility is to narrow the focus to 3 seasons. Among players of the era, Hornung does not come close to measuring up to Bobby Mitchell as an all-around offensive player to name one example that immediately comes to mind.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Hutson - the most dominant Packer ever
2. Lombardi - the gold standard of coaching
3. White - my favorite player and human being
4. Nitchke - personified the Lombardi era
5. Curly. Without him, there would be no Packers.

Honorable mention: adderly, Starr, Robinson, taylor, favre, and gregg.

Also a special shout out to Ezra Johnson. If he had any talent around him he would be in the HOF.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dang kids, don't appreciate the history.
Isbel, Hutson, McNally, Robinson, White.
I thought McNally made maps?
Isbell was basically a Model T and Hutson was already retired while Pearl Harbor was still cleaning up! Poppa were you born during the Civil War!? :p

Reaction score
1. Hutson - the most dominant Packer ever
2. Lombardi - the gold standard of coaching
3. White - my favorite player and human being
4. Nitchke - personified the Lombardi era
5. Curly. Without him, there would be no Packers.

Honorable mention: adderly, Starr, Robinson, taylor, favre, and gregg.

Also a special shout out to Ezra Johnson. If he had any talent around him he would be in the HOF.
You are so correct about Curly. Ezra yes! That's a blast from the past. Thank you

Jmurray

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL Network had a top 10 Patriots list. I wanted to narrow down Packers greatest players. Top 5. Who do you have? My list:

1. Vince Lombardi. Not a player. However was an innovator and simply top coaches ever.

2. Bart Starr. Management/coaching circus aside, one of the most underrated QB's ever. Won NFL titles and Ice Bowl sticks in my mind.

3. Reggie White. Here only six seasons. Yet the guy was dominant. He is up there with L.T as greatest at his position. He was a driving force behind changing Packers identity. guy was just too darn good not to have him here.

4. Brett Favre. Obviously the iron man, brought Packers back to the glory land. Was tough deciding between him and Reggie. He's here for winning a SB and everything he did. Yet, ot interception vs Eagles, Giants, six pick game vs Rams, really stick with me. I don't think the guy was truly great when it mattered most.

5. Ray Nischke. Defensive force. Didn't put Curly Lambeau as it is way way before my time.
Can't disagree. But Lombardi does not qualify because he was not a player. I would sub Don Hutson. Thanks for the post

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starr
Favre
Hudson
Lambeau

#5 could be any one out of: Taylor, Hornung, Nitschke, Kramer, Adderly, Rodgers (In the future), Matthews (In the future), Jordy (In the future)

I only mentioned players as I suspect the Patriots Top 10 list did. Otherwise I would've easily placed Lombardi on the list.

Members online

Latest posts