Top 5 Coaching Hot Seats In 2020

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, some of the popular names on the NFL fan firing squad list are no longer there in 2020 (aka Jason Garrett), but there are coaches coming into this year who need to win and win now to save their jobs. There are a few others who may not be out but may not be far behind.

1. Hottest seat belongs to Matt Patricia in Detroit

In 2 years only 9 total wins, the same amount his predecessor had the year he was fired. Patricia may have been let off the hook because of injuries last year, but that won't fly this year. 9 wins minimum will be expected of him this year to avoid getting fired.

2. Most likely Doug Marrone in Jacksonville. The Jags have given him one more chance, but he will have to make good on that. He has an uphill battle going against division rivals Houston and Tennessee.

3. Dan Quinn in Atlanta: another surprise coach who kept his job when it seemed all but a foregone conclusion he was gone at the end of 2019. No doubt going 6-2 and 4-0 to end the season along with a win in San Francisco saved his job despite only going 7-9. It won't this season, and he's going to have to prove that the improvement Atlanta's defense showed in the second half was not an illusion. Expectations are that Quinn make the playoffs this year.

4. Adam Gase in New York (Jets): May have ended up exceeding expectations last year after what happened with Darnold and everything that looked like it would lead to a 2-14 season. However, Gase cannot afford to go on the same trajectory he did in Miami, which means if the Jets record does not improve this year, especially when the Patriots are going to be bad, he could and should be fired.

5. Kliff Kingsbury: The Cardinals were criticized for hiring him last year, and though there were some better showings in 2019 than the awful mess in 2018, there's still a lot of work to be done. Kingsbury will probably need at least an 8-8 season to stick around in 2021.

Close behind but probably won't be fired:

Zac Taylor so far has looked inept at his job in Cincinnati. With the Bengals having moved on from Dalton and now giving him the top rated rookie in Joe Burrow, they're definitely going to want to see his ability to turn QBs into magic which he was hired for out of the Rams staff. Another dismal season might get him fired, but this is Cincy where the owners have tolerated incompetence for a long time.

Anthony Linn in LA may also have a make or break season. The Chargers were probably right to keep him while moving on from Rivers and Gordon, but he'll have to make good on his clean slate.

Brian Flores in Miami was given a blank check for last year as he should have been with the massive earthquake and all the upheaval following him into Miami. While the rebuild project may be at least a 3-year one, it is fair to wonder if winning 5 games last year, a little more than what was expected at the beginning of the year may have left him with a little less room for error this year. One would assume he won't be fired at the end of this year, but Miami is anything but predictable.

Two other names that are very unlikely to be fired but could certainly come under high criticism if they have disappointing seasons are Vic Fangio and Mike Tomlin. The Broncos will probably try to be generous to Fangio, but ever since Mike Shannahan left at the end of 2008, three of the last four Denver head coaches were gone after two years, and the other only lasted four years.

Tomlin probably won't be fired either because the Steelers have not fired a single head coach in over 50 years, the only franchise to hold such a record. Tomlin however, has never missed the playoffs for more than two years in a row, so it is a fair question to wonder whether a third year in a row of such an occurrence would trigger a change from management. His predecessor Bill Cowher did miss the playoffs for three years in a row from 1998 to 2000 though, so Tomlin may be able to survive even that unless the Steelers have a disastrous season.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Steelers bounce back. Tomlin IS a good coach and they weathered some tough stuff and were still in the mix until the end.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard a lot about Nagy being in a make or break season from the media might be another name to add to the list.

And two guy's who though likely won't be fired are certain to receive a lot of criticism if they don't have stellar season are Bill O' Brien and John Gruden, with Guruden's contract and BOB's questionable decisions making neither is likely to be receiving much slack from fans this year if their teams don't play really well this season.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard a lot about Nagy being in a make or break season from the media might be another name to add to the list.

And two guy's who though likely won't be fired are certain to receive a lot of criticism if they don't have stellar season are Bill O' Brien and John Gruden, with Guruden's contract and BOB's questionable decisions making neither is likely to be receiving much slack from fans this year if their teams don't play really well this season.

Well, if Nagy's win total slid down another 3 games to like 6-10 or something, or if the Foles signing proves to be bad, maybe. But I just don't have a feeling he's out yet, or at least nowhere near the hot water Patricia is in Detroit.

Gruden, well he did say he would gracefully bow out himself if he failed, so I guess we'll see how true to his word he is. But if he is terminated against his will, Mark Davis would have to pay him the rest of the hundred mil to do nothing, which I don't think he would want to do that.

I'm not really a fan of O'Brien either, but I'd say if he hasn't commited enough fireable offenses yet against the owners, it's going to take a catastrophic season to get him fired now.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, some of the popular names on the NFL fan firing squad list are no longer there in 2020 (aka Jason Garrett), but there are coaches coming into this year who need to win and win now to save their jobs. There are a few others who may not be out but may not be far behind.

In 2 years only 9 total wins, the same amount his predecessor had the year he was fired. Patricia may have been let off the hook because of injuries last year, but that won't fly this year. 9 wins minimum will be expected of him this year to avoid getting fired.

2. Most likely Doug Marrone in Jacksonville. The Jags have given him one more chance, but he will have to make good on that. He has an uphill battle going against division rivals Houston and Tennessee.

3. Dan Quinn in Atlanta: another surprise coach who kept his job when it seemed all but a foregone conclusion he was gone at the end of 2019. No doubt going 6-2 and 4-0 to end the season along with a win in San Francisco saved his job despite only going 7-9. It won't this season, and he's going to have to prove that the improvement Atlanta's defense showed in the second half was not an illusion. Expectations are that Quinn make the playoffs this year.

4. Adam Gase in New York (Jets): May have ended up exceeding expectations last year after what happened with Darnold and everything that looked like it would lead to a 2-14 season. However, Gase cannot afford to go on the same trajectory he did in Miami, which means if the Jets record does not improve this year, especially when the Patriots are going to be bad, he could and should be fired.

5. Kliff Kingsbury: The Cardinals were criticized for hiring him last year, and though there were some better showings in 2019 than the awful mess in 2018, there's still a lot of work to be done. Kingsbury will probably need at least an 8-8 season to stick around in 2021.

Zac Taylor so far has looked inept at his job in Cincinnati. With the Bengals having moved on from Dalton and now giving him the top rated rookie in Joe Burrow, they're definitely going to want to see his ability to turn QBs into magic which he was hired for out of the Rams staff. Another dismal season might get him fired, but this is Cincy where the owners have tolerated incompetence for a long time.

Anthony Linn in LA may also have a make or break season. The Chargers were probably right to keep him while moving on from Rivers and Gordon, but he'll have to make good on his clean slate.

Brian Flores in Miami was given a blank check for last year as he should have been with the massive earthquake and all the upheaval following him into Miami. While the rebuild project may be at least a 3-year one, it is fair to wonder if winning 5 games last year, a little more than what was expected at the beginning of the year may have left him with a little less room for error this year. One would assume he won't be fired at the end of this year, but Miami is anything but predictable.

Two other names that are very unlikely to be fired but could certainly come under high criticism if they have disappointing seasons are Vic Fangio and Mike Tomlin. The Broncos will probably try to be generous to Fangio, but ever since Mike Shannahan left at the end of 2008, three of the last four Denver head coaches were gone after two years, and the other only lasted four years.

Tomlin probably won't be fired either because the Steelers have not fired a single head coach in over 50 years, the only franchise to hold such a record. Tomlin however, has never missed the playoffs for more than two years in a row, so it is a fair question to wonder whether a third year in a row of such an occurrence would trigger a change from management. His predecessor Bill Cowher did miss the playoffs for three years in a row from 1998 to 2000 though, so Tomlin may be able to survive even that unless the Steelers have a disastrous season.
I’m stunned Quinn is still in Atlanta.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if Nagy's win total slid down another 3 games to like 6-10 or something, or if the Foles signing proves to be bad, maybe. But I just don't have a feeling he's out yet, or at least nowhere near the hot water Patricia is in Detroit.

Gruden, well he did say he would gracefully bow out himself if he failed, so I guess we'll see how true to his word he is. But if he is terminated against his will, Mark Davis would have to pay him the rest of the hundred mil to do nothing, which I don't think he would want to do that.

I'm not really a fan of O'Brien either, but I'd say if he hasn't commited enough fireable offenses yet against the owners, it's going to take a catastrophic season to get him fired now.

I'm not saying BOB or Gruden will be fired in fact I doubt they do, but you mentioned guy's that will come under heavy fire if they don't perform and I do think both of these guys fit that bill.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m stunned Quinn is still in Atlanta.

Likely that win in San Francisco coupled with the 4-0 streak to end the season is the only reason he wasn't just shafted. Anything less and I'm certain he would have been. Blanc isn't usually too quick to pull the trigger either, and he probably is banking that their defense finally improved and that they ride the the momentum into this year.

But make no mistake, Quinn is going to be on a short leash this year where any start to the season resembling last year will get him canned.

Atlanta might be a team to beware of though because they're in the part of their 4-year cycle where they seem to always have a good team.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying BOB or Gruden will be fired in fact I doubt they do, but you mentioned guy's that will come under heavy fire if they don't perform and I do think both of these guys fit that bill.

In the court of public opinion yes probably

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I expect most of these will be given the benefit of the doubt, if there IS a full season, AND if they have at least a modicum of a training camp. A 4 week camp or less and that will be the reason used to retain them.Lack of a full off season is going to make football really bad for the first month or so when it does come back.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect most of these will be given the benefit of the doubt, if there IS a full season, AND if they have at least a modicum of a training camp. A 4 week camp or less and that will be the reason used to retain them.Lack of a full off season is going to make football really bad for the first month or so when it does come back.

Well, possibly, and if this is taken into account, probably nobody gets fired before the season is up. But even in a season that's been affected by COVID-19, I would still expect owners and GMs to have certain expectations they want their coaches to meet. It is still business even with these conditions.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, after today gotta stick with the predictions for the most part

I know Swift dropped what should have been a game winner, but Matt Patricia's defense allowed Chicago to win it. Losing close games won't cut it, and if it keeps up, stick a fork in the Bellichek clown hack

Dan Quinn's got some trouble. It's still possible he could turn it around but he can't wait till he's down 1-7 to do it.

Gase too is going to get fired ... Book it

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, after today gotta stick with the predictions for the most part

I know Swift dropped what should have been a game winner, but Matt Patricia's defense allowed Chicago to win it. Losing close games won't cut it, and if it keeps up, stick a fork in the Bellichek clown hack

Dan Quinn's got some trouble. It's still possible he could turn it around but he can't wait till he's down 1-7 to do it.

Gase too is going to get fired ... Book it
I think Patricia will be gone before the season ends. Not entirely his fault as the GM has given Stafford so little to work with. Sound familiar?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Patricia will be gone before the season ends. Not entirely his fault as the GM has given Stafford so little to work with. Sound familiar?

Stafford has little to work with? Galladay and Marvin Jones are good wrs. They have spent high picks on rbs and te. They have put a lot into that offense

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He was supposed to fix Det's defense and was touted as running a good scheme in NE. It is all his fault he blew the lead against a ... Well maybe not awful but mediocre Trubisky offense today.

Stafford has little to work with? Galladay and Marvin Jones are good wrs. They have spent high picks on rbs and te. They have put a lot into that offense

Well to be fair, Golladay was out today. But they still have Hockenson and other players who should be able to make plays.

Matt Patricia is just about out of excuses and should be kicked outta there if he goes 0-4

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was supposed to fix Det's defense and was touted as running a good scheme in NE. It is all his fault he blew the lead against a ... Well maybe not awful but mediocre Trubisky offense today.

Well to be fair, Golladay was out today. But they still have Hockenson and other players who should be able to make plays.

Matt Patricia is just about out of excuses and should be kicked outta there if he goes 0-4
Well, whether it's the players or the coaches, it adds up to a lot of years of misery if you're a Lions fan.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, whether it's the players or the coaches, it adds up to a lot of years of misery if you're a Lions fan.

It's both, though I would add in that their owners the Fords are not too smart and worse than Dan Snyder.
It just never made sense to me to fire Jim Caldwell. He may not have been the greatest ever, but there's no question he was the best they had had since Wayne LaFontaine in the early 1990s, and his worst season was still better than Patricia's best so far.

But anyway, you get these coaching candidates out there every year who get hyped who really shouldn't be.

Hard to say who was the bigger bust the year he got hired ... Him or Pat Shurmur?

This year it appears to be Stefansky who looks far worse even than his predecessor in Cleveland. And that's saying something.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There does just seem to be a stink there. Different coaches, same results. They have some pretty dang good players. They've had some. They've had rosters I look at and think, they could go places. when the man baby, Schwartz was the coach i'd never seen someone do less with more than that guy. And then yesterday again. They are winning, then they aren't, but they are talented enough they should win and he just drops it. Even when they should win and do enough to win, they don't. never seems to change.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's both, though I would add in that their owners the Fords are not too smart and worse than Dan Snyder.
It just never made sense to me to fire Jim Caldwell. He may not have been the greatest ever, but there's no question he was the best they had had since Wayne LaFontaine in the early 1990s, and his worst season was still better than Patricia's best so far.

But anyway, you get these coaching candidates out there every year who get hyped who really shouldn't be.

Hard to say who was the bigger bust the year he got hired ... Him or Pat Shurmur?

This year it appears to be Stefansky who looks far worse even than his predecessor in Cleveland. And that's saying something.
Great point on ownership. And how long was Matt Millen around? Was he their GM? I might be wrong about that but it seems there was a former Lion’s player who was GM for like forever.

And yeah, the Fords outshine even Snyder for “worst ownership ever”. That’s not easy to do.

Caldwell was a good coach. In the end, even good coaches are done in by weak support from the GM, as far as talent acquisition, and then the players themselves. (Is he still coaching in the NFL? I’m guessing yes but don’t know where.)

I don’t think Stafford is an elite QB, but he’s certainly somewhere in the top 10. He just hasn’t been given a lot to work with over the years - and by that I mean offense, defense, and STs.

And so another protege of Bellichik’s goes by the wayside. Kinda weird because he is certainly one of the best HCs in NFL history, if not the GOAT (sorry Vince, but you’re a solid second). Just my opinion, but his assistants seemed to have fared poorly. I’m thinking mostly of Romeo Cremmel (sp?), but I think there have been others. I would have expected more.

And Patricia may be the worst of the lot. I’ve been watching him into what is now his third year in Motown. He just seems lost. If nothing else I would have expected improved D play, but nope. Maybe he just needs to shave.

Oh well. As a Packers’s fan all my life, and especially the 60s and the last 20 years, we’ve been spoiled. And all from a little town in Wisconsin.

Bojack

"All pro DL , you sure the hell dont play like it"
Reaction score

Agree with most of your takes here. Teams with new qbs will all be safe get 2yrs to make it work. That said would like to see the Chiefs o cordinator in Jacksonville forgot his name here sorry. Yeah Tomlinson, time to move on from him and big ben, the message just has gotten old and team is not buying in any more. Quinn same as Tomlinson team says they are motivated to win for this guy but then they only put together a couple string of wins here and there. If Ravens go another one and done then have to say they are looking for new coach. Jets will be starting head coaching position search by week 11. Flores will get one more yr possibly depending how his guys play for him needs at least 6 wins. Gruden needs at least 9 wins to keep his job and one of those 9 will have to be over the Chiefs. Every one else as of today are safe I think.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Mike McCarthy has got to go. 100% losing record. He`s stale and will only drag Americas team down. The clock is ticking Mike.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with most of your takes here. Teams with new qbs will all be safe get 2yrs to make it work. That said would like to see the Chiefs o cordinator in Jacksonville forgot his name here sorry. Yeah Tomlinson, time to move on from him and big ben, the message just has gotten old and team is not buying in any more. Quinn same as Tomlinson team says they are motivated to win for this guy but then they only put together a couple string of wins here and there. If Ravens go another one and done then have to say they are looking for new coach. Jets will be starting head coaching position search by week 11. Flores will get one more yr possibly depending how his guys play for him needs at least 6 wins. Gruden needs at least 9 wins to keep his job and one of those 9 will have to be over the Chiefs. Every one else as of today are safe I think.

1. That would be foolish. Lamar Jackson has a playoff monkey on his back certainly, but with how young he is and the development he's still going through (yes even as last year's mvp), continuity is better than change at this point in Baltimore. Plus Harbaugh is a good coach and has won his team the SB before under a less talented QB.

2. As was covered, Gruden has what most would say amounts to a carte blanche contract, or as close to that as you can get. While I do consider Mark Davis a strange man, I really don't think he wants to fire and then be forced to shell out the rest of that $100 million.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great point on ownership. And how long was Matt Millen around? Was he their GM? I might be wrong about that but it seems there was a former Lion’s player who was GM for like forever.

And yeah, the Fords outshine even Snyder for “worst ownership ever”. That’s not easy to do.

Caldwell was a good coach. In the end, even good coaches are done in by weak support from the GM, as far as talent acquisition, and then the players themselves. (Is he still coaching in the NFL? I’m guessing yes but don’t know where.)

I don’t think Stafford is an elite QB, but he’s certainly somewhere in the top 10. He just hasn’t been given a lot to work with over the years - and by that I mean offense, defense, and STs.

And so another protege of Bellichik’s goes by the wayside. Kinda weird because he is certainly one of the best HCs in NFL history, if not the GOAT (sorry Vince, but you’re a solid second). Just my opinion, but his assistants seemed to have fared poorly. I’m thinking mostly of Romeo Cremmel (sp?), but I think there have been others. I would have expected more.

And Patricia may be the worst of the lot. I’ve been watching him into what is now his third year in Motown. He just seems lost. If nothing else I would have expected improved D play, but nope. Maybe he just needs to shave.

Oh well. As a Packers’s fan all my life, and especially the 60s and the last 20 years, we’ve been spoiled. And all from a little town in Wisconsin.

Yeah Millen was largely responsible for the bad stink that came up from Detroit in the first decade of the 2000s. Mayhew and Quinn have been a little better but not by much.

Other thing is sometimes it's easy to confuse Bellichek protoges with guys who just worked with Bellichek for a few years. Crennel was the latter, though the expectations were high on him because he had also worked with other high profile coaches like Bill Parcels in his prime. Bill O'Brien also worked with Bellichek, but he's definitely not a protege.

So far the worst has been protege McDaniels. Hence why I came out swinging against him during the search for MM's replacement. Patricia isn't too far behind though. With Flores it's still wait and see, but he'll certainly need to hope Tua turns out to be good.

Last edited:

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I think Dan Quinn (Falcons) should be fired as soon as the plane hits the tarmac in Atlanta. What a CFEP*

*Cluster F*** of Epic Proportions

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Dan Quinn (Falcons) should be fired as soon as the plane hits the tarmac in Atlanta. What a CFEP*

*Cluster F*** of Epic Proportions

Beat me to it. I almost wondered if somehow Jason Garrett had done a crazy abduction and switched out Quinn for him lol

But in all seriousness, yeah I think Dan Quinn just lost his job today. I mean, not that he'll be fired today or tomorrow, but this kind of loss can very much cause you to lose the morale of the team and make it impossible to believe you're going to beat better teams.

Right now, I'd say it's pretty much a race between Patricia and Quinn to see who gets fired first.

Members online

Latest posts