Top 4 Draft Losers as per ESPN :

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As Depack stated earlier ESPN called us losers for Day 1 . Here are the Top 4 losers as per :

John Clayton
ESPN.com

The losers :

1. Matt Leinart, QB, Arizona: Had he turned pro after his junior season, Leinart might have been the first pick in the 2005 draft. Even now, most would considered him a higher-rated player than 49ers quarterback Alex Smith, the first pick in the 2005 draft. Financially, this is a disaster for Leinart. Smith received $20 million in guarantees. Leinart goes into a slot that last year paid $13.5 million -- total -- over the five-year contract. Because he's a quarterback, Leinart will get a premium, and he could get around $6 million to $8 million in guarantees. Green told Leinart that he was getting a gift from heaven in getting a quarterback this good at 10. While Leinart says he doesn't regret coming back for his senior year at USC, he wasn't able to cash in with his extra year in college.

2. Reggie Bush, RB, New Orleans: Give Bush credit for being a good sport. He congratulated defensive end Mario Williams for beating him out for the No. 1 pick in the draft. He didn't blast the Texans for not taking him with the first pick. Still, Bush was clearly a big loser in this draft. With all the stories circulating about his family's living accommodations, Bush clearly was in spin control heading into draft week. He needed to agree to a deal to make him the No. 1 pick. When the Texans offered an 8 percent increase over Alex Smith, the top pick in 2005, Bush should have shown more willingness to take it. Williams grabbed the Texans' offer like he was taking down a quarterback and registered a big sack. He got $26.5 million in guarantees while Bush will be lucky to get $20 million from the Saints. He needed to be the No. 1 pick in the draft, and he fumbled it by not getting a deal done.

3. Buffalo Bills: The Bills were in a great spot at No. 8. They had at least two teams -- Denver and Minnesota -- calling up offering draft choices to move up. Those teams were looking for quarterbacks. The Bills could have worked a deal with the Eagles, who were considering a move to No. 8 to take a defensive tackle. Taking a safety, Donte Whitner, at No. 8 instead of accepting one of those deals just wasn't a good value. Sure, maybe they weren't getting offers that matched the trade value chart, but wouldn't it have been better to move down and get anything extra. They would still have been able to get Whitner. The Bills feared losing Whitner to the Lions, who didn't get Michael Huff at No. 9. That wasn't going to happen because the Lions were taking linebacker Ernie Sims if they didn't get Huff, who went to the Raiders. The Bills went a little too conservative.

4. Green Bay Packers: They didn't get great value for Javon Walker, only getting a second-round choice instead of two seconds, which they were demanding Friday. While A.J. Hawk was a great choice to help the defense, the Packers didn't do much to help Brett Favre. They didn't get tight end Vernon Davis, but that's OK. Hawk rated higher on most draft boards than Davis. The Packers had a decent second-round for the future in getting tackle Daryn Colledge and wide receiver Greg Jennings, who might take some time to make impact. But this is Favre's last year, and he is committed to making the best out of the season. As it has been the entire offseason, the Packers haven't seized the moment.

dannychau22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted can't waste this draft just to please favre for one more year. He has to do what is best for the packers.

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
John Clayton
ESPN.com

The losers :
4. Green Bay Packers: They didn't get great value for Javon Walker, only getting a second-round choice instead of two seconds, which they were demanding Friday. While A.J. Hawk was a great choice to help the defense, the Packers didn't do much to help Brett Favre. They didn't get tight end Vernon Davis, but that's OK. Hawk rated higher on most draft boards than Davis. The Packers had a decent second-round for the future in getting tackle Daryn Colledge and wide receiver Greg Jennings, who might take some time to make impact. But this is Favre's last year, and he is committed to making the best out of the season. As it has been the entire offseason, the Packers haven't seized the moment.

That is BS :!:
You have to take what's on the market. Therefore I'm totally satisfied what we got for this Walker crybaby. With his antics he is just a lockerroom-cancer.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is from Yahoo Sports

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

THE WINNERS

Arizona Cardinals – It may not translate onto the field, but Dennis Green sure has a way of looking great on draft day. After landing what was thought to be one of the best draft classes last season, Green shot to the top of the charts again this year. Not only did he land Mr. Golden Boy, Matt Leinart, but he also added massive guard Deuce Lutui in the second. For good measure, he pounced on Leonard Pope in the third round – a player some teams had rated as the No. 1 tight end.

Green Bay Packers

The Packers needed an infusion of talent, and just by sheer bulk alone, they may have had the best first day of the draft. Selecting five players in the first 75 picks is always a nice luxury, and Green Bay picked up some quality talent. The Packers added two of the best linebackers in the country in A.J. Hawk and Abdul Hodge to their porous defense, then accentuated their first-day picks with some lesser-known talent like Daryn Colledge, Greg Jennings and Jason Spitz – three players who could all contribute as early as next season either as starters or special-teams players

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
John Clayton said:
4. Green Bay Packers: They didn't get great value for Javon Walker, only getting a second-round choice instead of two seconds, which they were demanding Friday. While A.J. Hawk was a great choice to help the defense, the Packers didn't do much to help Brett Favre. They didn't get tight end Vernon Davis, but that's OK. Hawk rated higher on most draft boards than Davis. The Packers had a decent second-round for the future in getting tackle Daryn Colledge and wide receiver Greg Jennings, who might take some time to make impact. But this is Favre's last year, and he is committed to making the best out of the season. As it has been the entire offseason, the Packers haven't seized the momen

Am I the only one who notices he ran a circle here?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Boy..

If TT's picks don't pan out..and he sinks the Packers ship and the last years of Favre's career...he will be the biggest scourge in Packer history....

I'd say there's probably a pretty good chance of that..

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Boy..

If TT's picks don't pan out..and he sinks the Packers ship and the last years of Favre's career...he will be the biggest scourge in Packer history....

Wonderfully positive post! Lovin' it.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do know John Clayton is a sports wrirter and knows nothing about the Draft.

I've read more reports that Green BAy is a winner today which they are.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think all of this talk is interesting. Probably the most astute thing I've heard is this; Ron Wolf built his superbowl team from the third through the seventh round. He found players that could play. Now he missed on a number of top draft choices and that came back to bite us a little bit, but his late round drafting was amazing. Now look at Mike Sherman and look at his third to seventh round picks, and remember this is where depth is built, and you'll see that he consistently missed in this area, without getting an impact player on the top of the draft. If you're going to talk about Walker than remember that he also became a malcontent for Mike. It looks to me as if Ted has made some great picks and also found a way to fill many holes. He's added five draft picks to his otherwise meager draft picker numbers. If he can hit on two or three of those, this will be a great draft and the beginning of taking this team back to respectability.

On Favre....had he made up his mind earlier we have may have been able to score a little better in free agency. He only has to go to the mirror to see that. I do like the potential of the wr's that we picked up, unfortunately Brett may not be around to see them develop, but that was his choice.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
On Favre....had he made up his mind earlier we have may have been able to score a little better in free agency. He only has to go to the mirror to see that. I do like the potential of the wr's that we picked up, unfortunately Brett may not be around to see them develop, but that was his choice.

This is total ********...TT sycophantic, apologetics to blame FAvre because of TT's lack of ability to sign FA's..

CLASSIC!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

This is total b.s....TT sycophantic, apologetics to blame FAvre because of TT's lack of ability to sign FA's..

CLASSIC!

and if Favre throws 25 INT's you'll blame TT for the lack of signings I'm sure.. :wink:

I still don't get why do you have to hate TT and love Favre or vice versa as well. I usually just go in the middle and like em both and put my faith with both of them. I like this Draft for the Packers so far and I'm not the only one either.

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
P@ck66 said:
Boy..

LOL, Zero...you have a way of posting exactly what I'm thinking. I mean really, will these picks pan out?...maybe not, but would Javon be a happy camper and play for the Packers this year?...DEFINITELY not. Get what we can in a deep draft.

Oops, gotta go...TT just wiped his ***, and I must go praise him for it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
LambeauEast said:
Zero2Cool said:
P@ck66 said:
Boy..

LOL, Zero...you have a way of posting exactly what I'm thinking. I mean really, will these picks pan out?...maybe not, but would Javon be a happy camper and play for the Packers this year?...DEFINITELY not. Get what we can in a deep draft.

Hey you got to do it last time, let some one else have a chance..

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well..

I'll tell you why...

It's because TT pig-headedly and stubbornly decided that this was "HIS" team and decided to build through the draft whether Favre was coming back or not...

Instead of trying to put in a few FA pieces that would compliment Favre and the Packers to "win now"...he's basically ignored the fact that Favre was still on this team because TT doesn't really care if they win this year or not...

He is looking 2-3 years down the road to put together a contender (maybe longer), and there is no guarantee that he is going to do so...

So we are mortgaging the Packers, Favre's, and the fans "present" possibilities of winning now to satisfy TT's egoistic needs to prove that he can be the architect of a winning football team from the ground up in the FUTURE....

(which is far from a "slam dunk" guarantee of happening....)

Why throw away the remaining time that you have left with your HOF QB who has given you championship after championship for an "unproven", new GM when you will have PLENTY of time to continue "rebuilding" once your HOF QB retires.....???

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
LambeauEast said:
Zero2Cool said:
P@ck66 said:
Boy..

Hey you got to do it last time, let some one else have a chance..

Ohhh alright LT, you can take this next shift.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Well..

I'll tell you why...

It's because TT pig-headedly and stubbornly decided that this was "HIS" team and decided to build through the draft whether Favre was coming back or not...

Instead of trying to put in a few FA pieces that would compliment Favre and the Packers to "win now"...he's basically ignored the fact that Favre was still on this team because TT doesn't really care if they win this year or not...

He is looking 2-3 years down the road to put together a contender (maybe longer), and there is no guarantee that he is going to do so...

So by bringing in big time FA for Favres last year is a SURE way of making Super Bowl...

Shermans last few years when the O-L WAS AWESOME, Green was tearing it up, Sherman WAS spending $$$, and Favre WAS leading the league in lot of areas OTHER then INT..

They made the SB how many times?

O yeah THEY DIDNT......those big time "players" never panned out Joe J Nickerson, Hunt and others.....Doing it that way, lead to the cap being where it was last year..

P@ck66 said:
So we are mortgaging the Packers, Favre's, and the fans "present" possibilities of winning now to satisfy TT's egoistic needs to prove that he can be the architect of a winning football team from the ground up in the FUTURE....

Again can you PROVE that way would have worked? ( have I mentioned this?? ---------> It didnt work with Sherman, Minny last year and Washington for a longg time...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sherman was a ****** and a MORON..

All he had to do was get 3 top level receivers in GB and they would have gone...and oh yeah...a little thing called a DEFENSE..!

TT is yet unproven....so at this point..you can't even say he's better than SHERMAN!

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66: which is better...one championship now or 5 later?

I think TT is doing an ok job at making us competitive now and contenders in the future.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Boy..

You sound confident as always 66.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
P@ck66: which is better...one championship now or 5 later?

I think TT is doing an ok job at making us competitive now and contenders in the future.

Let me put it this way Rabid...

I think there's a better chance of a shot at the championship if you build a team around Favre now...for 1-2 years..then there is in totally imploding the team at letting TT build from scratch...

You've got to ask yourself...who do you trust more....Favre who's earned it...or TT who's a giant question mark building a Packer team with his own personal erector set?

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66 is a perfect example of truthiness. Saying what you know is right, ignoring those pesky little facts that might get in the way.

The Packers signed 3 of the top 50 available UFAs according to ESPN.com, I think all 3 were in the top twenty actually. They signed 2 players that ESPN.com considered Free Agent Sleepers. They added several starters and kept key members of the team that were free agents.

Pack seems to base his criticism of the offseason on the failure to sign Larry Allen, a guy that wouldn't fit in the system, and expressed his desire to stay in Texas or go to the west coast, and on a failure to sign Terrell Owens, the biggest risk in free agency who got a huge contract, talked crap on his former team, and doesn't go to workout with his new team in Dallas because he is too important for the team.

If you could name the key free agents that could of brought Favre a Super Bowl from the available Free Agents, please do so.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
Pack66 is a perfect example of truthiness. Saying what you know is right, ignoring those pesky little facts that might get in the way.

and thats, the word.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Well..

I'll tell you why...

Why throw away the remaining time that you have left with your HOF QB who has given you championship after championship for an "unproven", new GM when you will have PLENTY of time to continue "rebuilding" once your HOF QB retires.....???

That's very smart what thompson is doing. Anyone else forget Favre threw 29 INT's last season. I'm sure Brett will throw 20+ TD's this year but come close to matching it in INT's. This team wasn't going to win the Super Bowl this year or next year. So why forfeit the future to try and build an 8-8 or 9-7 team that might have a chance for a wild card at best with Brett. What to please Favre??

That's not how Championship teams are built. It's great too have Favre back don't get me wrong but in all likely hood this is a 6 or 7 win team with Brett at QB, with Woodson at CB and with another big name player like LaVar or even Hutch at guard. Only player I could've seen making a huge difference was TO but when Favre is gone there is nobody on this roster that can control him. So one year with TO isn't worth it to please Favre in my opinion. Favre is not the GM of the Green Bay Packers. Forfeit the future for Favre. Makes no sense from a football standpoint.

Without Favre I'd say 3 or 4 win team at tops. Is Favre a HOF QB. Yes!! Is he the same QB he was 5-8 years ago. He's not close to that level any longer.. His decision making is awful. That's the aspect he needs to work on now. Oldest rule in football. You can't buy a championship, you have to build one.

Members online

Latest posts