top 10 QBs of 2011

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had one good year right?
Compare that year (2010) to the year Cassel put together.

Cassel: 27 TDs, 7 Ints
Freeman: 25 TDs, 6 Ints

Both youngsters had very spectacular regular seasons. Remember, Cassel also had one super season in New England starting 15 games.

Freeman is an up & comer though, and we play them in Green Bay I think this season right? He needs to eat the frozen tundra early, and often. And more often again.

I watched him play quite a few games last season. He will be a solid top 10 QB for years to come. He'll be very good.

Cassel is solid too though.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Drew Brees
5. Phillip Rivers
6. Ben Rothlesberger
7. Matt Ryan
8. Matt Schaub
9. Matt Cassel
10. Joe Flacco

I think the top 5 aren't debatable... The order of the top five QB's is debatable, but the top five are Mannings, Brady, Rodgers, Brees and Rivers.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Eli does have a ring and a SB MVP trophy.

Cassel, while having great numbers, benefited from an outstanding scheme (I know very well, as a ND fan). That system is made for QBs to look good, but specially last year, it didn't require him to complete much passes beyond 10 yards, as evidenced by him achieving less than 3200 yards and having a putrid 6.9 YPC. Oh, and he completed only 4 passes of over 40 yards, one of the lowest amongst starters. And he completed below 60% of his passes. What does it say? He didn't take many risks throwing long passes, and he still wasn't very accurate. Truth of the matter is, he was a glorified game manager who couldn't win games by himself, because the team relied heavily on it's running game. And he played against some awful defenses.

But that's not why I say he's no deserving. It's because I've watched some of his games, and he was nothing special. More importantly, when it mattered, he was plain awful, completing only 9 passes and throwing 3 ints against the Ravens. The Ravens took the running game away and forced him to beat them. He didn't come even close.

The way I see it, Cassel is a guy that you can't win a championship with. Matt Hasselback in his prime was a better QB. Cassel can be an excelent backup, he won't cost you many games, but you can't count on him to win games.

Maybe if he gets an elite D and an elite RB like the 2000 Ravens he can win you a championship... Dilfer did it.

Whoa! Bringing the heat on this one! Great take on Cassel. Like you said, Cassel wasn't counted on to do a whole lot and is not a top 10 QB.

My top ten goes like this:

1. Brady
2. Rodgers
3. Manning
4. Brees
5. Rivers
6. Roethlisberger
7. Vick
8. Ryan
9. Freeman
10. Flacco

Next five would be Romo, Schaub, Cutler, Eli, and Cassel.

Reaction score
Top 5:
Aaron Rodgers
Philip Rivers
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Peyton Manning

Second Half 5:
Michael Vick
Matt Ryan
That Chief's Qb (statistically)
Josh Freemen