top 10 QBs of 2011

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How would you rank the QBs (just 10, no need to rank them all) in 2011? I assume we all have Rodgers in the top 3....

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Brady
2. Rodgers
3. Manning
4. Rivers
5. Brees
6. Big Ben
7. Vick
8. Ryan
9. Cassel
10. Schuab

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who was the QB that won the superbowl again? you guys are being modest with your list...

The best QBs arent always the ones who win the SB.... I thought this was generally accepted by everyone that its an invalid argument to say one QB is better based on a SB win.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get why someone would list Arod as the best QB in the league but I dont understand how you could do that by reasoning its because he was the QB on the winning SB team.

(cough) Dilfer (cough)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Payton Manning
Rivers
Roethlisberger
Vick
Romo
Ryan
Eli

BTW, ***** at Cassel. Cmon people...

Reasons for Rodgers being #1:
Best regular season QB rating of all time + best postseason QB rating of all time + amazing knowledge of the offense and ability to recognize defensive formations + amazing decision making, TD to INT ratio one of the best in the league since starting + amazing accuracy, specially downfield + amazing arm, able to make all the throws + amazing athletic ability, able to scramble and avoid sacks + great clutchness, having played the best in the postseason and in the SB, raising his level with the competition + hardware, SB + SB MVP.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers/ Brady (tied for #1)
Brees
Rivers
Big Ben
P Manning
Vick
Romo
E Manning
Schuab

I think Rodgers is as close to an equal to Brady as you can get. For the record I would say that even if the Packers had not won the SB, just based on Aaron's performance alone as QB and including post season activity.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Rodgers
Brady
Vick
Manning
Rivers
Roethlisberger
Ryan
Brees
Schaub
Cassel

Justifications:
Rodgers was easily the best QB in the NFL at the end of 2011. Brady had a helluva regular season, but total body of work I think it's pretty much a wash.

Brees threw what, 22 picks last year? He's not going to be in my top 3 or even 5 of 2011 with that kind of INT total.

Don't laugh off Cassel. He was great last year. 27 TDs, just 7 INT's, he was really, really good.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cassels numbers are too good not to put him in the top 10. I'm more surprised to see Eli getting on some lists.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cassels numbers are too good not to put him in the top 10. I'm more surprised to see Eli getting on some lists.
Eli does have a ring and a SB MVP trophy.

Cassel, while having great numbers, benefited from an outstanding scheme (I know very well, as a ND fan). That system is made for QBs to look good, but specially last year, it didn't require him to complete much passes beyond 10 yards, as evidenced by him achieving less than 3200 yards and having a putrid 6.9 YPC. Oh, and he completed only 4 passes of over 40 yards, one of the lowest amongst starters. And he completed below 60% of his passes. What does it say? He didn't take many risks throwing long passes, and he still wasn't very accurate. Truth of the matter is, he was a glorified game manager who couldn't win games by himself, because the team relied heavily on it's running game. And he played against some awful defenses.

But that's not why I say he's no deserving. It's because I've watched some of his games, and he was nothing special. More importantly, when it mattered, he was plain awful, completing only 9 passes and throwing 3 ints against the Ravens. The Ravens took the running game away and forced him to beat them. He didn't come even close.

The way I see it, Cassel is a guy that you can't win a championship with. Matt Hasselback in his prime was a better QB. Cassel can be an excelent backup, he won't cost you many games, but you can't count on him to win games.

Maybe if he gets an elite D and an elite RB like the 2000 Ravens he can win you a championship... Dilfer did it.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eli does have a ring and a SB MVP trophy.

Cassel, while having great numbers, benefited from an outstanding scheme (I know very well, as a ND fan). That system is made for QBs to look good, but specially last year, it didn't require him to complete much passes beyond 10 yards, as evidenced by him achieving less than 3200 yards and having a putrid 6.9 YPC. Oh, and he completed only 4 passes of over 40 yards, one of the lowest amongst starters. And he completed below 60% of his passes. What does it say? He didn't take many risks throwing long passes, and he still wasn't very accurate. Truth of the matter is, he was a glorified game manager who couldn't win games by himself, because the team relied heavily on it's running game. And he played against some awful defenses.

But that's not why I say he's no deserving. It's because I've watched some of his games, and he was nothing special. More importantly, when it mattered, he was plain awful, completing only 9 passes and throwing 3 ints against the Ravens. The Ravens took the running game away and forced him to beat them. He didn't come even close.

The way I see it, Cassel is a guy that you can't win a championship with. Matt Hasselback in his prime was a better QB. Cassel can be an excelent backup, he won't cost you many games, but you can't count on him to win games.

Maybe if he gets an elite D and an elite RB like the 2000 Ravens he can win you a championship... Dilfer did it.

He isnt dilfer. Dilfer never put up those numbers. In 2000 Dilfer put up 12 Tds and 11 Ints while in 2010 Cassel put up 27 and 7. Yeah there really isnt a comparison between those two....

But your right, he had a bad playoff game. Its a young team and they were mismatched the whole game. Baltimore is good in case you didnt know.

If Eli is in your top 10 then why isnt Hines Ward in your top 10 WRs?

Jay Freakin Cutler had a better QB rating than Eli. Eli plays like Favre minus the wins and comebacks.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He isnt dilfer. Dilfer never put up those numbers. In 2000 Dilfer put up 12 Tds and 11 Ints while in 2010 Cassel put up 27 and 7. Yeah there really isnt a comparison between those two....
Dilfer never played in Weiss' system.
BTW, what are Cassel's numbers without Weiss????
55% completion. 2,924 yards. 5.9 YPC. 16 TDs. 16 INTs. 69.9 rating.

If Eli is in your top 10 then why isnt Hines Ward in your top 10 WRs?

Jay Freakin Cutler had a better QB rating than Eli. Eli plays like Favre minus the wins and comebacks.
QBs are not WRs. There aren't many great QBs in the league, quite frankly.
Jay Cutler had a better regular season rating. Jay Cutler is a proven loser when it counts.

Fact is, when it mattered, Eli Manning made great plays, against the league's best team in a SB, won it, and was elected the best player of the SB.

While that isn't enough to put him at an elite status in my opinion, is more than enough to separate him from the mediocreness of the rest of the QBs in the league.

It's pretty simple my method of chosing the top 10 players. Who would I like the most on my team?

I (and pretty much everyone in the league) would take Eli Manning over Jay Cutler and Matt Cassel.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dilfer never played in Weiss' system.
BTW, what are Cassel's numbers without Weiss????
55% completion. 2,924 yards. 5.9 YPC. 16 TDs. 16 INTs. 69.9 rating.

QBs are not WRs. There aren't many great QBs in the league, quite frankly.
Jay Cutler had a better regular season rating. Jay Cutler is a proven loser when it counts.

Fact is, when it mattered, Eli Manning made great plays, against the league's best team in a SB, won it, and was elected the best player of the SB.

While that isn't enough to put him at an elite status in my opinion, is more than enough to separate him from the mediocreness of the rest of the QBs in the league.

It's pretty simple my method of chosing the top 10 players. Who would I like the most on my team?

I (and pretty much everyone in the league) would take Eli Manning over Jay Cutler and Matt Cassel.

If your going to bring up his first year in a system, then fine, but make sure to use his other year without Weiss too. Here Ill just give it to you. 63% completion, 3693 yards, 7.2 YPC, 21 TDs and 11 INTS.

I wonder if you would say the same thing about some of the packers who have excelled with dom.

Yes, during the 2007 -08 playoffs Eli was elected SB MVP, even though most critics said Tuck should have won it. Which I agree with but its a QB driven media world out there. Lets not forget where Eli was last season during the playoffs, watching matt cassel bc he decided to play like garbage against the pack.

Do you have any sources when you say everyone else in the league would take eli over matt? Im curious since you make it sound like a fact.

Both have made the pro bowl 1x with Cassel making it last season and Eli making it from the 07 season. I personally would rather have the QB that manages games than leads the league in INTs. But to each their own.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If your going to bring up his first year in a system, then fine, but make sure to use his other year without Weiss too. Here Ill just give it to you. 63% completion, 3693 yards, 7.2 YPC, 21 TDs and 11 INTS.

I wonder if you would say the same thing about some of the packers who have excelled with dom.

Yes, during the 2007 -08 playoffs Eli was elected SB MVP, even though most critics said Tuck should have won it. Which I agree with but its a QB driven media world out there. Lets not forget where Eli was last season during the playoffs, watching matt cassel bc he decided to play like garbage against the pack.

Do you have any sources when you say everyone else in the league would take eli over matt? Im curious since you make it sound like a fact.

Both have made the pro bowl 1x with Cassel making it last season and Eli making it from the 07 season. I personally would rather have the QB that manages games than leads the league in INTs. But to each their own.
Except that McDaniels ran the exact same system Weiss employs in 08 with the Patriots.

So, Cassel in Weiss' system: Very good caretaker. (Except when it mattered)

Cassel in another system: putrid performance.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of upcoming 2010-2011 season

Aaron Rodgers
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisberger
Michael Vick
Matt Ryan
Matt Schaub
Eli Manning

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think this thread is the best fit for this link. It’s old – from February – but I didn’t see it posted elsewhere. It compares the following QBs after their first 47 starts.

Rodgers, Favre, Manning, Brady, Roethlisberger, Rivers, and Brees.

As this thread shows, there are a lot of factors that go into a QBs success or failure including the system they’re in, the surrounding talent, the overall quality of their team and coaching staff. One anomaly in this group in Rodgers’ favor is he had three seasons to learn the system and mature. Even so among this group, which includes ?s future HOFers, Rodgers has the most yards passing, the most TD passes and the fewest INTs.

Keep him healthy and the future is incredibly bright.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Tom Brady
2. Peyton Manning
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Drew Brees
5. Philip Rivers
6. Ben Roethlisberger
7. Michael Vick
8. Matt Ryan
9. Eli Manning
10. Joe Flacco

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How in the hell are you guys looking over Josh Freeman. He WILL be a top 10 QB this year.

Here's mine:

1. Rodgers
2. Brady
3. Manning
4. Vick
5. Brees
6. Roethlisberger
7. Rivers
8. Ryan
9. Romo
10. Freeman

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How in the hell are you guys looking over Josh Freeman.
He had one good year right?
Compare that year (2010) to the year Cassel put together.

Cassel: 27 TDs, 7 Ints
Freeman: 25 TDs, 6 Ints

Both youngsters had very spectacular regular seasons. Remember, Cassel also had one super season in New England starting 15 games.

Freeman is an up & comer though, and we play them in Green Bay I think this season right? He needs to eat the frozen tundra early, and often. And more often again.

Members online

Latest posts