Top 10 Greatest Packers Ever on NFL.com. 1 Small Problem with the list.

PackerChamps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Explain to me why it's b.s. that Young would have won in Montana's place but not b.s. that Favre would have won a couple more Championships with the Cowboys or 49ers.

It's more likely the Cowboys and 49ers don't win the Championships with the ol' gunslinger at QB.

Well considering he went to 2 versus Young's 1 with much less talent around him.

But since you made the statement first regarding Young's greatness over Favre, by all means explain away for Young.

PackerChamps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad someone else thinks "The Golden Boy" should be ranked higher. Heck, he was running back, quarterback and he kicked the ball some too.

I think Favre should be on the list, but I also think his longevity played into many of those records, so I don't pull all the weight in "records". Championships, however, mean something.

For instance if a guy is a starter for 17 years and wins 1 Championship compared to a guy who is a starter for say, 3 years and wins the Championship every year he starts, I would give the nod to the guy who knew how to win it.

Starr won Championships. Not only did he win Championships, he called most of his own plays. He carried himself with poise on the field and not panic. He was a field general. Therefore I'd put him at number 2 behind Lombardi who helped Starr and many players become who they were.

Lombardi gets number one, not only because he knew how to win, but he also helped the NFL a great deal when they were going through the troublesome AFL introductory years. To add to that Lombardi was on the cutting edge of civil rights. There is a whole lot more to Vince Lombardi than winning championships regardless of the quote everybody throws around out of context.

Sorry, but to say Favre's records were due to his longevity is insane. His records exist because he was talented and last I checked called a lot of his plays on the field as well. How many mediocre receivers did he make great over his career.

I wasn't aware that a player makes a team and championships except maybe the NBA/NHL. Winning championships is about coaching, players, chemistry and health. Teams win not a player. See Packers circa 2011 on that one.

As for the Golden Boy, great player but I didn't realize he was also the QB for the Packers. Bart Starr must have been a wideout then. As for kicking, most of his went into XP with his having the second best RB stats on the team.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, but to say Favre's records were due to his longevity is insane.

how so? Career good or bad records that he has have alot to do with longevity. No QB is going to touch the INT record bc no team is going to let a QB play that long to get that many. He didnt rack up these records overnight.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well considering he went to 2 versus Young's 1 with much less talent around him.

But since you made the statement first regarding Young's greatness over Favre, by all means explain away for Young.

Ill stick up for Young.

Young led the league in passer rating six times, including four straight seasons from 1991 to 1994, and topped the 100 passer-rating mark in those seasons. Every single one of those marks are unequaled. Favre never had 100 passer rating with the Packers.

Dont forget his 43 rushing TDs.

Young was the best QB of the 90s when healthy.

PackerChamps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not sure how those cowboys teams would have prevented favre from throwing INTs in the playoffs...

Favre, at the highest, is 10th all time as far as QBs go.

Lets see having Michael Irving catching, that line blocking, Emmitt to hand the ball to, and very similar Defense and coaching talent. Yup, that probably would help. Check Aikman vs Favre on the picks in the 90's and they are similar with the exception of a couple years.

Who are the 9 ahead of him? He is between 4-7 in reality. He has SB win and a loss, 3 MVPs, 11 Pro Bowls, 3 first team AP, countless NFL Records with 20,000 more yards than even Mighty Joe, the Iron Man streak, ultimate Field General.

My guess is that your personal feelings are clouding your common sense

PackerChamps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ill stick up for Young.

Young led the league in passer rating six times, including four straight seasons from 1991 to 1994, and topped the 100 passer-rating mark in those seasons. Every single one of those marks are unequaled. Favre never had 100 passer rating with the Packers.

Dont forget his 43 rushing TDs.

Young was the best QB of the 90s when healthy.

Favre who was always healthy spent a majority of his years in the 90's for QB rating getting close to 100 a couple times and that was with the picks and throwing to a mish mash of talent at WR/TE while Young was throwing to Rice/Owens/Jones. Hard not to have a good passer rating with those weapons. Amazing he could only get to 1 SB.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets see having Michael Irving catching, that line blocking, Emmitt to hand the ball to, and very similar Defense and coaching talent. Yup, that probably would help. Check Aikman vs Favre on the picks in the 90's and they are similar with the exception of a couple years.

Who are the 9 ahead of him? He is between 4-7 in reality. He has SB win and a loss, 3 MVPs, 11 Pro Bowls, 3 first team AP, countless NFL Records with 20,000 more yards than even Mighty Joe, the Iron Man streak, ultimate Field General.

My guess is that your personal feelings are clouding your common sense

I think your mixing up me and you. Sorry I dont blindly follow brett favre as he throws game changing picks.

Oh so talent around favre would have prevented him from throwing picks? Really? Well according to Favre the most talented team he ever played on was the vikings right? Weird, cause he still threw a terrible game changing pick. Here in case you forgot.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UUeqvquXZI]YouTube - Brett Favre interception by Saints Tracy Porter NFC Championship. Paul Allen's Call[/ame]

Starr, Brady, Montana, Young, Baugh, Graham, Unitas, Staubach, Manning, and maybe Elway were better than Favre. Thats 10.

As far as Aikman and Favre INTs I did double check them, and only in 1 season did Aikman have more INTs than Favre.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itz-IrptWNU&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Brett Favre - The Definition of Insanity[/ame]

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZxzeBxTz_Y]YouTube - Brett Favre Excuse-o-Matic[/ame]

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well we know what kind of texts Peter King was getting.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT9FPYt7na0&feature=related]YouTube - Brett Favre's *********[/ame]

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Sorry, but to say Favre's records were due to his longevity is insane. His records exist because he was talented and last I checked called a lot of his plays on the field as well. How many mediocre receivers did he make great over his career.

I wasn't aware that a player makes a team and championships except maybe the NBA/NHL. Winning championships is about coaching, players, chemistry and health. Teams win not a player. See Packers circa 2011 on that one.

As for the Golden Boy, great player but I didn't realize he was also the QB for the Packers. Bart Starr must have been a wideout then. As for kicking, most of his went into XP with his having the second best RB stats on the team.

As I said Favre should be on the GB top ten list, but I still hold to my main assertions. Look at his list of records, then look at the dates of when he set those records. How many of them were in the last 5 years of his extremely long tenure? I think you'll be surprised.

Favre didn't call his own plays, he only called audibles at occasions. His coaches called the plays. Starr called just about all of his plays on the field. On occasion his coach would send in the play. There is a complete opposite approach between the two.

Paul Hornung was indeed a backup QB, Halfback, one time fullback, and place kicker, not to mention a lot of receiving yards. Check it out at pro-football reference.com . Hornung set some pretty impressive records on the Packers team as well. He also led the lead in scoring and was a Heisman trophy winner. Those are pretty big creds.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“It certainly doesn’t bother me,” Blanda said about losing the scoring record. “The one record I was happy to get rid of was the one for the most interceptions, when Brett Favre got that one.”

Brett Favre’s 6 Greatest Interception Fests of All Time

Aug 19, 2009 - By Adam Tod Brown
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Love him or hate him, you have to admit, Brett Favre is a legend whose legacy will never be forgotten. With that said, in our case, we hate him and the legacy we choose to never forget is the one that involves him spending the latter part of his career as the most prolific interception throwing machine in NFL history. There was a time when, in a 4th-quarter-two-minute-drive situation, Brett Favre was absolutely lethal. That time was 1996-1997. Since then, it’s been a non-stop parade of wobbly passes chucked up into the stratosphere with the game on the line and hauled in by the defense, effectively killing the dreams of legions of “cheeseheads.” And the occasional New Yorker also. Good times.
6. September 10th, 2006 – Packers vs. Bears

To kick off the first of what would be many “farewell” seasons for Favre, the Packers took on the eventual NFC champion Chicago Bears in the home opener at Lambeau Field. While soon-to-be poster boy for all that is unholy at the quarterback position Rex Grossman moved the ball up and down the field with relative ease, Favre threw just five passes for a meager 70 yards in the first half. But eventually, the real Brett Favre shone through. And by that, of course, I mean he started chucking the ball everywhich way but correct and ended up with two fourth quarter interceptions.
While the game had little to no playoff implications, it is notable for being the first ever shutout of Brett Favre’s career, with the Bears winning 26-0. He would get his revenge though when the Packers knocked off the by-then division champion Bears on New Year’s Eve during the final game of the season. And then he started sobbing like a girl before he even made it to the locker room. In his defense though, it was a pretty heavy moment in that it was the last time he would ever imply that he was going to retire without everyone within ear shot rolling their eyes and barely containing their disgust.
5. The Last Five Games of the 2008 Season

If Vikings fans are curious as to what they have to look forward to in 2009, they need look no further than Favre’s guffaw inspiring end to his 2008 stint with the New York Jets. Through week 11, the Jets were an impressive 8-3 under Favre’s elderly leadership. And then, all hell broke loose.
Over the last five games, Favre threw an impressive nine interceptions while putting up just two TD passes. The Jets lost four of those last five games. Things got so tense in the Jets camp that at one point RB Thomas Jones suggested that Favre should have been benched after throwing 3 INT’s in one game. He wasn’t benched, of course. In fact, he was selected to represent the AFC in the Pro Bowl. Makes sense.
All indications at the end of 2008 were that Favre’s geriatric cannon had run out of gas. In what has to be a promising sign for Vikings fans, Favre briefly considered not coming back because, after an offseason spent working out, he was exhausted. And the season hasn’t even started.
4. January 20th, 2008 – NFC Championship

Throughout the entire 2007 season, there were but two topics on the lips of every media outlet when it came time to discuss the NFL…Brett Favre and the New England Patriots. This made the 2007 season different from most other seasons in absolutely no way. For New England, all of the talk centered around their march to a nearly perfect season that ended in the most perfect way possible for anyone outside of New England. As for Favre, he was in the midst of his second farewell tour with the Packers and was within reach of just about every passing record imaginable. Whatever, we were just psyched that he broke the all time interception record.
By all standards, it was an impressive season for Favre. A season that extended all the way to the NFC Championship game where the Packers hosted the New York Football Giants. If we can digress for a second, why the hell do people still say “the New York Football Giants?” The baseball Giants left New York seven hundred years ago. Stop it. Anyway, yeah, Favre took them to the NFC Championship. It was at Lambeau. It was cold. The Packers rightfully should have won. Fortunately, once overtime rolled around, Favre reverted to his late-career form and chucked up an ill advised pass to Donald Driver that was promptly intercepted by the Giants’ Corey Webster. On the ensuing possession, the Giants would kick the game winning field goal, thus saving the world from a Super Bowl that would have had absolutely no chance of ending well. Either Favre was going to win another Super Bowl, or the Patriots perfect season would be complete. Either way, we all would have lost.
3. January 11th, 2004 – NFC Divisional Playoff

It would take a real ******* to not appreciate Brett Favre’s 2003 performance on Monday Night Football just one day after his father died of a heart attack. Even the Raider fans were cheering him on, and they’re a bunch of **********! But that’s just one game. By the end of the season, just about everyone was tired of hearing about the “magic” and how “something special” was happening during the Packers improbable playoff run.
When the Packers rolled into Philadelphia for the NFC Divisional Playoff, all signs pointed to another Packers victory. And then, the wheels fell off. With a 3-point lead, the Packers had the Eagles stopped at 4th and 26. For any team with the ghost of Brett’s dad at their back, that should have been enough for the win. But nay! Freddie Mitchell somehow found himself open over the middle for a 28 yard completion. A few plays later, the game was tied and headed into overtime. It’s at this point that Brett Favre’s father apparently tuned out.
After the Eagles went three and out on their first possession of overtime, Brett Favre took over. And by “took over” we mean “immediately hurled what looked less like a pass and more like a punt in the direction of Brian Dawkins who hauled it in for an interception”. A few plays later, a David Akers field goal ended the Packers run to the Super Bowl. Awesome.
2. January 4th, 2003 – NFC Wild Card Playoff

Hey, Michael Vick, there’s a name we haven’t heard in awhile! Wonder what that guy is up to these days? Anyway, back in 2003, Michael Vick was the youngest quarterback in the NFL. It was widely believed that his Atlanta Falcons had absolutely no chance against the mighty Packers in the NFC Wild Card Playoff that year. Vick had never seen action in the playoffs. The Packers had never lost a home playoff game and were 35-0 at Lambeau when the temperature was 34 degrees or less. The temperature that night was 28. It wasn’t looking good for Vick and the Falcons. At least not until the game actually started.
Vick and the Falcons played flawless football and by half time had amassed an insurmountable 24-0 lead. After leading Green Bay to a touchdown on their first drive of the second half, Favre’s killer instinct took over. Unfortunately for him, that instinct killed any chance of a comeback. On their next six possessions, the Pack committed four turnovers, including an interception and a lost fumble by Favre. Classic Brett.
1. January 20th, 2002 – NFC Divisional Playoff

There are ****** performances, and then there are games like this. Nobody really expected the Packers to go on the road and take out the St. Louis Rams’ Greatest Show on Turf. But damn, what people expected even less was for Brett Favre to bust out his absolute worst performance of all time.
Six, COUNT EM’, SIX, interceptions. Three of those interceptions were returned for touchdowns. Another was returned to the 4 yard line and led to another touchdown moments later. Of the Rams 45 points, only 17 were not in some way related to Brett Favre’s interception-y shenanigans. We almost feel more comfortable making jokes about his dad, because this performance is way more depressing.
This would begin a long string of games in which, afterwards, nobody wanted to say what everybody knew. Brett Favre played like trash in pressure situations and it cost them the game. From here on, every season would be riddled with questions about how much longer he would play. Seven years and several teary eyed press conferences later, we still have no idea.

PackerChamps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think your mixing up me and you. Sorry I dont blindly follow brett favre as he throws game changing picks.

Oh so talent around favre would have prevented him from throwing picks? Really? Well according to Favre the most talented team he ever played on was the vikings right? Weird, cause he still threw a terrible game changing pick. Here in case you forgot.
YouTube - Brett Favre interception by Saints Tracy Porter NFC Championship. Paul Allen's Call

Starr, Brady, Montana, Young, Baugh, Graham, Unitas, Staubach, Manning, and maybe Elway were better than Favre. Thats 10.

As far as Aikman and Favre INTs I did double check them, and only in 1 season did Aikman have more INTs than Favre.

YouTube - Brett Favre - The Definition of Insanity

So, Favre comes into a team at age 40, first year, takes them to an NFC championship. That team would have been luck to make it to the playoffs without him. Your take on Favre from that year was that he sucked because he threw a pick in a playoff game and that he was the sole reason for that loss. Okay, that is chocked full of common sense.

As for your list of QB's ahead of Favre, I have no problem with Starr or Montana although both played surrounded by talent and teams littered with HOFers and and stable/talented coaching staffs.

Favre delivered a lot for the Packers and NFL and did it working with mediocre talent and across multiple coaching regimes.

Sorry, but I am tired of revisionist history just because people are Po'd about how he left the Packers and his relationship with the team.

PackerChamps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said Favre should be on the GB top ten list, but I still hold to my main assertions. Look at his list of records, then look at the dates of when he set those records. How many of them were in the last 5 years of his extremely long tenure? I think you'll be surprised.

Favre didn't call his own plays, he only called audibles at occasions. His coaches called the plays. Starr called just about all of his plays on the field. On occasion his coach would send in the play. There is a complete opposite approach between the two.

Paul Hornung was indeed a backup QB, Halfback, one time fullback, and place kicker, not to mention a lot of receiving yards. Check it out at pro-football reference.com . Hornung set some pretty impressive records on the Packers team as well. He also led the lead in scoring and was a Heisman trophy winner. Those are pretty big creds.

Can you name me a record setter who set his records early in his career?

As for his longevity, Starr, Elway, Montana, Unitas all played 15+ years to Favre's 19 years.

I wouldn't exactly say Favre's played twice as long as his contemporaries.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Close, Walsh came off his coaching tree. Paul Brown. Pretty much every part of modern coaching came from him. So far ahead of him time. Blew the NFL away. Lombardi was a great motivator but as far as coaching didnt leave a lasting impact as far as a coaching tree goes. The you look at Brown and you can probably attach 50% of SB championships back to him if you go up the tree.

No doubt someone will tell me Im insane to not think Lombardi is #1 and they are full within their right to believe that. I just feel Lombardi was a better motivator than coach. I wonder what Lombardi would say on the matter actually.
So Brown was probably the greatest mind in football.

But nobody was as sucessful and as crucial to the sucess as was Lombardi. You need to remember that the Packers were a mediocre, to say the least, franchise when he got in there. He personally drafted or traded for almost all of the players he won the championships with, and there're 10 HoF in there. He got players that were ok and fringe players in other teams and made them into hall of famers.

No, he wasn't as innovative as a coordinator. He didn't leave a coaching tree, his methods weren't revolutionary.

But as far as head coaching goes, Lombardi is far and away the greatest of all time. He won more than anyone, with players and system that he himself handpicked.

And for the list, change Favre with Starr, and it's perfect. Hard to compete with the winningest, most clutch QB of all time.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But nobody was as sucessful and as crucial to the sucess as was Lombardi. You need to remember that the Packers were a mediocre, to say the least, franchise when he got in there. He personally drafted or traded for almost all of the players he won the championships with, and there're 10 HoF in there. He got players that were ok and fringe players in other teams and made them into hall of famers.

No, he wasn't as innovative as a coordinator. He didn't leave a coaching tree, his methods weren't revolutionary.

But as far as head coaching goes, Lombardi is far and away the greatest of all time. He won more than anyone, with players and system that he himself handpicked.

And for the list, change Favre with Starr, and it's perfect. Hard to compete with the winningest, most clutch QB of all time.

Change favre with starr? You lost me... I dont know where I ever put Favre over Starr...Please explain.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Change favre with starr? You lost me... I dont know where I ever put Favre over Starr...Please explain.
The last line isn't directed to you, but to the thread.

The top 10 Packers on NFL Network had Favre at 3 and Starr at 4. Would just change those and it'd be my list.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well this is extremely homerish.

Walsh won a little as well in case you forgot. The Browns played in 10 straight championship games! They won 7 of those games!

And on the topic of winning, you can trace the winner of 21 of 45 SBs to Paul Brown. Unbelievable.

Jim Brown became the player he was under Brown. Bill Walsh became the legend he was with direct guidance from Brown. The Steelers dominance of the 70s traces directly back to Paul Brown. The Dolphins perfect season does as well. Marino, Manning, Favre, Young, and Montana you can all trace their lineage back to Paul Brown.

Lombardi was the best motivator but not the best coach. Ill give him 2nd best in my book but would listen to the argument for a few other names.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Can you name me a record setter who set his records early in his career?

As for his longevity, Starr, Elway, Montana, Unitas all played 15+ years to Favre's 19 years.

I wouldn't exactly say Favre's played twice as long as his contemporaries.

If you will look at an exhaustive list of passing records, you will see other QBs listed a lot. Favre didn't corner the market on QB records. However a lot of his records DO come from longevity; records like "most pass attempts", "most starts as a QB", and "Total yards". He broke Marino's TD record because he played 3 years longer than Marino. It's interesting to note he is only 20th in career passer rating.

It's also interesting to note that he broke the career interceptions record of George Blanda, so I'll give you that one. That wasn't due to longevity.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well this is extremely homerish.

C'mon Ivo, of course it's homerish. This is a Packers forum. It's blasphemous to name anyone other than Vince as the greatest all-time coach. Unless you want to argue Curly, in which case you'll have to deal with Lombardi upstairs when the time comes.

PackerChamps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon Ivo, of course it's homerish. This is a Packers forum. It's blasphemous to name anyone other than Vince as the greatest all-time coach. Unless you want to argue Curly, in which case you'll have to deal with Lombardi upstairs when the time comes.

No, but to downplay the man's importance on a team is almost like when I hear people living in this country stating that the US is like 50th on the list of countries they would prefer to live in. Its okay to root for your home team when your home team has Lombardi, Starr, Favre, White on it.

To say that the success of Walsh, Montana, Jim Brown, all are due to a one man who was a coach is going down the same road as those who support Lombardi. In essence, Brown is a God.

PackerChamps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you will look at an exhaustive list of passing records, you will see other QBs listed a lot. Favre didn't corner the market on QB records. However a lot of his records DO come from longevity; records like "most pass attempts", "most starts as a QB", and "Total yards". He broke Marino's TD record because he played 3 years longer than Marino. It's interesting to note he is only 20th in career passer rating.

It's also interesting to note that he broke the career interceptions record of George Blanda, so I'll give you that one. That wasn't due to longevity.

Sure, and Rice doesn't hold all receiver records, Smith not all RB records. I am sure you were looking for a point, let me know when you get to it. Yes, Smith, Rice all got records as they played long enought to get them. Sterling Sharpe may have had some if his neck would have held out.

As for passer rating, if that is the measure of great QB then Aaron Rodgers is the GOAT, Trent Green is better than Favre and Tony Romo is better than Smokin Joe. Brilliant!

Also hilarious, all of Favre's records are due to time played except for the interception record. Alright Bubba, if YOU say so.

Members online

Latest posts