Too early Hindsight? Firing McCarth and Hiring LeFleur

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what, I remember not being sure about the move to fire Mike McCarthy a few years ago. But after watching just how badly disciplined and prepared they were in the wild card round for Dallas, the penalties, etc.. Not to mention the Genius of calling a QB Draw with less than 30 seconds left and no time outs. I no longer feel bad about it. Green bay clearly has a Superior coach now. (Whether that holds up should Rodgers leave at some point is debatable, but I don't know that we have ever seen a game as crazy as that one In Dallas Yesterday in Lambeau field.)

Can't wait to see the Divisional Round. Go Pack Go!

D

Deleted member 6794

There's absolutely no doubt the Packers made the right decision to fire McCarthy at the point they did. In addition it seems they struck gold by hiring MLF to replace him.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldnt agree more. I realize that a qb draw is unexpected, but thinkers gotta think. For a moment I thought Dak had to improvise due to the play call or something, but instead the hamburglar comes out and admits that was his play call. Unreal and unable to think in the moment. Vaya con dios Mike, not a good strategy.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what, I remember not being sure about the move to fire Mike McCarthy a few years ago. But after watching just how badly disciplined and prepared they were in the wild card round for Dallas, the penalties, etc.. Not to mention the Genius of calling a QB Draw with less than 30 seconds left and no time outs. I no longer feel bad about it. Green bay clearly has a Superior coach now. (Whether that holds up should Rodgers leave at some point is debatable, but I don't know that we have ever seen a game as crazy as that one In Dallas Yesterday in Lambeau field.)

I fully agree. Said the same thing watching that game yesterday. Now we could get pushed around all night by the 9ers. But I do not see the Packers playing so undisciplined and so unprepared against a team that they have faced 4 times in the last 3 seasons. Certainly we will not commit 14 penalties against SF at home. Especially so many pre snap and dead ball fouls. And I do not see Rodgers being so mixed up at the LOS as Prescott appeared to be. The 9ers will have to play a great game to beat us.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

I'm not sure how LaFleur will do once Rodgers is gone, but all we can do is compare the two coaches for what they both had: Rodgers. And LaFleur has won 13 games in each of his first 3 seasons as the team's head coach. McCarthy only did that twice....INCLUDING the years with Favre.

The combination of LaFleur and Rodgers is just beautiful. I think they compliment each other extremely well. LaFleur at his core (taking who is QB out of it) wants to run the ball a lot. Rodgers at his core wants to throw the ball a lot. I think Rodgers pulls LaFleur out of his run habits a little, and LaFleur pulls Rodgers out of throwing quite as much.

It's a great marriage and I sincerely hope this season is capped off with a Super Bowl and that somehow all parties can figure out a way to keep this thing going.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LaFleur is really good about ensuring a balance between the passing and running games. I think that emphasis has helped Rodgers revive his career the past couple of seasons, whereas he was stagnating under the last couple of seasons under McCarthy. Having watched Dallas a bit this year, I felt they got away from the run too often, making it harder on Dak. Even yesterday, they only gave the ball to Zeke 12 times. Much of that blame falls on Kellen Moore, given that he is the play-caller, but it was a problem at times in Green Bay with McCarthy, so it seems to be a pattern.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never thought MM was a bad HC. I thought he was an awful offensive coordinator. His scheme was very bad. I did think he always did a great job getting his guys ready to play and overcoming a ton of adversity.

It was just his time to go. I honestly believe he would still be HC is TT didnt screw this team up so badly towards the end of his tenure. The team MM was coaching when he was fired was damn near talentless. It was Rodgers, Bak, Adams, and Clark and the rest of the team IMO was pretty bad. They had Jones coming up but he was often banged up and MM was scared to make him a featured back. On top of that you had Gutey who thought he could supplement the loss of Nelson with a terrible Jimmy Graham contract and 3 bad rookie receivers. MM was doomed from the start of that season.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is a classy guy and I hate to see him screw the pooch so badly. And to come out in the presser and say it was a good call? I think that may get him fired.

Still can't wrap my mind around making that call. Just plain foolish. My wife even said why not throw 3 times at the 40 rather than get 1 play at the 20? And she watches, but doesn't know much.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing about McCarthy is that he was never a guy to throw someone under the bus. It was Kellen Moore who called the play, but I'm not surprised McCarthy is defending the call. McCarthy never blamed Rodgers during the last few seasons for rejecting his play calls.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know that MM ever did anything quite that stupid while in Green Bay. In fact, I think it may be one of the worst coaching decisions I can remember.

My daughter's explanation on MM getting dumber: "That's what happens when you join the Cowboys."

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know that MM ever did anything quite that stupid while in Green Bay. In fact, I think it may be one of the worst coaching decisions I can remember.

My daughter's explanation on MM getting dumber: "That's what happens when you join the Cowboys."
We are all focusing on how dumb it was…. and yet Dak had the ability to make sure a ref had the ball…. Dak had the ability to slide a second sooner. Dak had the ball…. he didn’t didn’t do anything to actually make that play work… it could have…. they literally only needed one more second… simply not blocking the ref as he was running through the line would probably have been enough.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are all focusing on how dumb it was…. and yet Dak had the ability to make sure a ref had the ball…. Dak had the ability to slide a second sooner. Dak had the ball…. he didn’t didn’t do anything to actually make that play work… it could have…. they literally only needed one more second… simply not blocking the ref as he was running through the line would probably have been enough.
In my opinion, there are too many things that can go wrong. I was shocked 49ers didn't pile onto him. That would have ended it as well with the time to unpile. And what do you gain? 1 shot at 30 yds for a TD? I would rather have 3 shots at the 40. Drag a short route along the sidelines for a quick 15 if nothing d a velocity in the endzone. The defense will be playing off because of the game situation.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion, there are too many things that can go wrong. I was shocked 49ers didn't pile onto him. That would have ended it as well with the time to unpile. And what do you gain? 1 shot at 30 yds for a TD? I would rather have 3 shots at the 40. Drag a short route along the sidelines for a quick 15 if nothing d a velocity in the endzone. The defense will be playing off because of the game situation.
I’m not disputing that. That is what you’d rather have. I watched the entire game. I don’t give Dak a very high probability of being successful at that either. We are talking about several low probability outcomes. If the QB draw followed by a single shot at the end zone is what they wanted to try … so be it. It isn’t what I would have called either, but i’m just pointing out that if that is what they wanted to do, Dak should have executed it better.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I didn't think McCarthy called the plays. I thought their boy wonder co-ordinator called the plays.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't think McCarthy called the plays. I thought their boy wonder co-ordinator called the plays.
If that is true, then MM is being noble. Taking responsibility for something he may have been against and then standing up and taking the heat for it. He is a very high character guy - regardless of anything else.

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion, there are too many things that can go wrong. I was shocked 49ers didn't pile onto him. That would have ended it as well with the time to unpile.

While I agree it was a terrible call it's possible the refs throw a flag if the Niners pile onto Prescott after he gave himself up on the play.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree it was a terrible call it's possible the refs throw a flag if the Niners pile onto Prescott after he gave himself up on the play.
Possible. But also not guaranteed. We are talking about how risky of a play. And if it was the Cowboys plan to wait for 49ers to pile on and then get a penalty, all the more foolish.

Besides, all the 49ers would have to do is impede Prescott. Stand in his way. We are only talking about 2 seconds or so of disruption to end the game. When the 49ers didn't do that the Cowboys took it upon themselves to get the job done by impeding the ref.

Members online

Latest posts