Tony Gonzales to Falcons

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Falcons acquire record-setting TE Gonzalez from Chiefs for 2010 draft pick

A 2010 second round pick seems too much to me, for a Tight End that has no more than 2 years left. But being a 2010 pick helps the Falcons now, by providing a great target to qb Matt Ryan and still allowing them to have the same picks this year.

I wouldn't do it, not for that high of a pick and for a tight end at his age, no matter how good he is...

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I like this trade for the Falcons. This means that my keeper, Michael Turner, is going to have a lot more running room! Good Times!!!

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Falcons acquire record-setting TE Gonzalez from Chiefs for 2010 draft pick

A 2010 second round pick seems too much to me, for a Tight End that has no more than 2 years left. But being a 2010 pick helps the Falcons now, by providing a great target to qb Matt Ryan and still allowing them to have the same picks this year.

I wouldn't do it, not for that high of a pick and for a tight end at his age, no matter how good he is...
Well, I wasn't on the "get Gonzalez train", but I like the move on Atlanta's part.

Is a 2nd round pick a lot? Yeah, probably, but it's a 2010 pick so some would value that like a 3rd rounder. That's still steep but a little more palatable.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read someone's post on packerslounge that if you think about it, Gonzo would make us better, and so the 2nd rounder would be something like 20+, and if things go well, 32nd. Didn't see it that way. A late 2nd round for him would be a good deal. Not a great one, but a good deal.
But we have way more needs anyway, and TT and MM seems to think Lee can do the job, and that Finley will be a legit starting TE in the future. If all we needed for a SB team was a great pass catcher, then that move would be great. That's not the case.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TG would of been awesome for the Packers. But he is in Atlanta and if I was a Falcons fan I would be extremely excited. He has 2 years of "guaranteed" productivity. He has great hands and is a good route running.

Nice pick up!

Dizzle498

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree, this was a great move by the Falcons. He will be the security blanket Ryan needs to take his game even higher. Would have been nice to see Aaron Rodgers get that connection going.

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT asleep at the wheel again, as usual! I want someone to tell me how Tony G doesn't make the GB offense a serious notch better(3rd down conversions & red zone offense)??? Atlanta stole him, he will provide instant, surefire results next year, good luck finding that in some 2nd round pick! It would have been somewhat similar to Wolf bringing in Keith Jackson only Gonzo has way more in his tank than bigboy Jackson did, Gonzo has an easy 3-4 more years at pro bowl level. Not only his ability, the guy is a model citizen of the highest character. This move should have involved GB, we don't need to have the youngest team in the league every year, come on Ted wake up!

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TT asleep at the wheel again, as usual! I want someone to tell me how Tony G doesn't make the GB offense a serious notch better(3rd down conversions & red zone offense)??? Atlanta stole him, he will provide instant, surefire results next year, good luck finding that in some 2nd round pick! It would have been somewhat similar to Wolf bringing in Keith Jackson only Gonzo has way more in his tank than bigboy Jackson did, Gonzo has an easy 3-4 more years at pro bowl level. Not only his ability, the guy is a model citizen of the highest character. This move should have involved GB, we don't need to have the youngest team in the league every year, come on Ted wake up!

Amen brother! I would of been fine giving up a second round next year, no problem. Oh well... :(

But KC is going to have the youngest team in the league for sure with all their draft picks the last couple years and all their picks yet to come.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
When you're good, like Atlanta is, you have the luxury of being able to give up draft picks if a proven player falls into your lap. T Gon fell into their lap. I love the pickup for them and I think it makes them a viable threat to take the whole NFC, provided Matt Ryan doesn't fall victim to the sophomore jinx.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts