Tony ¨the piano¨Palmer.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
tromadz said:
No, as opposed to doing it through big expensive free agents, like the vikings. if the vikings arent superbowl bound within 2 years, their moves are a bust, and their checkbook hurt bad.

but yeah, pyle...growing them in the garden....yikes.

The Redskins are another team that has relied heavily on big free agent signings, without success. Every off-season we hear how great the Vikings and Redskins are going to be, and then when the games are actually played, they prove to be disappointments.

I agree, but what about the other 4 dozen teams?

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In an effort to tarnish the allure of talented FAs that cost more than the league minimum, certain posters have pointed to the Skins and the Queens as examples of why the FA doesn't work. Instead, they claim that building through the draft will make you a Super Bowl contender like the Pats and the Steelers.

Unfortunately, I am not gullible enough to believe either of these theories is 100% right or 100% wrong.

It is true you get young talent from the draft, and these rookies are tomorrow's playmakers. All 36 teams get an equal part in the draft relevant to how well they finished the year before. Therefore, all teams build through the draft by default. This is how the league works.

However, sometimes you have a position (or positions) that need an immediate fix, or all teams will exploit this weakness to their advantage. In these cases, you don't always have time to wait for this year's draft class to develop. This is why there is a FA. The top FAs are generally the ones with the most talent and experience in their position. This is why they cost more than cut-rate player off the waiver wire.

Teams need the draft to keep their lines strong. Teams also need the FA to shore up weaknesses. I do not believe focusing on one over the other will build you a championship team faster than using them both in tandem. This is why I disagree with what some people have been posting about FAs costing so much. They cost so much because they are proven. Period.

If you don't think that FAs help win championships, think what the mid-1990's would have been like if Ron Wolf ignored the FA and Reggie White had remained in Philly. Do you still think Favre would have got his ring in Super Bowl XXXI???

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that was in 1996... the times, they are a changing

you really cant name a blockbuster Free agent pickup on the last 6 superbowl teams. truth is. draft to solidify a team, pick and choose lots of bargain, proven players. dont blow your proverbial *** on free agents that had one good year.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said

you really cant name a blockbuster Free agent pickup on the last 6 superbowl teams. truth is. draft to solidify a team, pick and choose lots of bargain, proven players. dont blow your proverbial *** on free agents that had one good year.

That's not the argument. Why does everyone say it's an "either or argument"? Are you saying that any free agency moves is "blowing your ***"? Hell, what happened to Gardner and Boreigter? Didn't TT "blow his ***" on them?

Can't a GM possibly pick up FA's that are good and contribute to the team instead having to be cut because they were the wrong guys? Oh wait, that's what New England does. They know how to sign FA's who can stick around and contribute.

And that is exactly what Ron Wolf did. He picked up veteran FA talent that contributed to the SB. He didn't "blow his ***" on overpriced free agents.

It's not either/or. TT just doesn't seem to be that good in picking up FA's..which is in his job description, isn't it?

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
Packnic said

That's not the argument. Why does everyone say it's an "either or argument"? Are you saying that any free agency moves is "blowing your ***"? Hell, what happened to Gardner and Boreigter? Didn't TT "blow his ***" on them?

Can't a GM possibly pick up FA's that are good and contribute to the team instead having to be cut because they were the wrong guys? Oh wait, that's what New England does. They know how to sign FA's who can stick around and contribute.

And that is exactly what Ron Wolf did. He picked up veteran FA talent that contributed to the SB. He didn't "blow his ***" on overpriced free agents.

It's not either/or. TT just doesn't seem to be that good in picking up FA's..which is in his job description, isn't it?

Didn't TT get them off the waivers?

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

Philly picked up T.O. and went to Superbowl XXXIX. This disproves your FA theory, unless of course, you don't consider T.O. "a blockbuster free agent pickup". Additionally, if Denver goes all the way this year a lot of people are going to look at the Walker signing being instumental in that regard. Not to mention that if T.O. works out in Dallas and they make it all the way to Miami, many people are going to say the T.O. signing got them there.

I don't see the "times a changing" at all. What I do see however, is a lot of B.S. being spread around this board. :roll:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Anubis said:
Philly picked up T.O. and went to Superbowl XXXIX. This disproves your FA theory, unless of course, you don't consider T.O. "a blockbuster free agent pickup".

Terrell Owens was injured the final few games of the season and missed the entire post season with coming back for the Super Bowl

The Eagles had went to three straight championships previous to making it to the SB in a game in which Owens did not play in.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
Packnic said:

Philly picked up T.O. and went to Superbowl XXXIX. This disproves your FA theory, unless of course, you don't consider T.O. "a blockbuster free agent pickup". Additionally, if Denver goes all the way this year a lot of people are going to look at the Walker signing being instumental in that regard. Not to mention that if T.O. works out in Dallas and they make it all the way to Miami, many people are going to say the T.O. signing got them there.

I don't see the "times a changing" at all. What I do see however, is a lot of B.S. being spread around this board. :roll:

Yeah, there goes that theory! You guys seem to be lost. It doesn't have to be Terrell Owens but how bout' ummmmm, maybe....hmmmmmm......a DAMN OFFENSIVE LINEMAN! Or maybe ummm, hmmmm........A decent Number 2 WR!

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Terrell Owens was injured the final few games of the season and missed the entire post season with coming back for the Super Bowl.

The Eagles had went to three straight championships previous to making it to the SB in a game in which Owens did not play in.

I am not debating Owen's injury, or the fact that he missed the last few games prior to the Super Bowl. Packnic claimed that there were no big FA signings on the last 6 Super Bowl teams. I was merely pointing out that Owens was a big FA signing, and Philly went to the Super Bowl the year they signed him. The same thing can be said about Denver or Dallas if they make it there this year.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Anubis said:
Philly picked up T.O. and went to Superbowl XXXIX. This disproves your FA theory, unless of course, you don't consider T.O. "a blockbuster free agent pickup".

Terrell Owens was injured the final few games of the season and missed the entire post season with coming back for the Super Bowl

Trivia Question Zero - While TO was injured who filled in??

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Anubis said:

yeah and as evidence shows...TO was worth the money spent in philly!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Anubis said:
Zero2Cool said:
Who did Denver sign as a FA?

Fair enough. That was a trade.

However, Walker did not join them by way of the draft, which was the heart of Packnic's argument.

This article here makes it out to be a trade for Owens as well. If I remember correctly he was not a free agent which is why all the fuss about him going to the Ravens.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
Anubis said:

Trivia Question Zero - While TO was injured who filled in??

Without looking. Knowing the lack of character you are (purely opinion of course) I'd have to say your boy Stinkson!! heh :p

With looking. It was # 83 Greg Lewis. Pinkston started all 16 games. Lewis started only a fraction of the games

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Anubis said:
Packnic said:

Yeah, there goes that theory! You guys seem to be lost. It doesn't have to be Terrell Owens but how bout' ummmmm, maybe....hmmmmmm......a DAMN OFFENSIVE LINEMAN! Or maybe ummm, hmmmm........A decent Number 2 WR!

Bentley at Center and Wells at one Guard spot would have been a good pick up for GB.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
This article here makes it out to be a trade for Owens as well. If I remember correctly he was not a free agent which is why all the fuss about him going to the Ravens.

I see your URL and raise you another URL:

Owens Released by Philadelphia

He was released by Philly 14 March 2006, making him an UFA. He was then signed by Dallas four days later.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Anubis said:
Zero2Cool said:

I see your URL and raise you another URL:

Owens Released by Philadelphia

He was released by Philly 14 March 2006, making him an UFA. He was then signed by Dallas four days later.

I'm not debating him signing as a FA with Dallas. That I'm aware of.

The Eagles made a trade to get him. He wasn't a free agent signee.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New England Brought in

Corey Dillon
Rodney Harrison
Ted Washington
Tyrone Poole

The Eagles Brought

Trotter
Owens
Kearse

Carolina brought in

Stephen Davis
Proehl - Veteran leadership that TT doesn't believe in!

Oakland Brought in

Jerry Rice
Charlie Garner
Sam Adams
Rod Woodson

TB Brought in

Roman Oben
Keenan McCardell
Simeon Rice

These guys were all significant contributors to thier football teams. The theory just doesn't hold water!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Carolina brought in

Stephen Davis

William Henderson. Marquand Manuel.

Two off the top of my head that Ted claimed to have veteran leadership.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
Knowing the lack of character you are (purely opinion of course)

Unreal, questioning my character because you disagree with me.

Where was the disagreement? You asked a question. I gave it a quick (you requested 'quick') shot without looking it up. Then looked it up to find the answer.

I can question anyone on any grounds I see fit. Deal with it. You can do it just the same.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:
Carolina brought in

Stephen Davis

William Henderson. Marquand Manuel.

Two off the top of my head that Ted claimed to have veteran leadership.

Marquand Manual......4 Years???? Thats quite a bit of veteran leadership there!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts