Tom Clements not returning to Packers coaching staff next season

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy mentioned during his season ending press conference that Clements will move on to some other interests.

MM hasn't made any decision about other members of the coaching staff but mentioned that he felt the coaching staff did a really good job this season calling Capers an outstanding coach.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy mentioned during his season ending press conference that Clements will move on to some other interests.

MM hasn't made any decision about other members of the coaching staff but mentioned that he felt the coaching staff did a really good job this season calling Capers an outstanding coach.

I've softened on Capers. He deserves to stay. It's the players and not the scheme imo.

I think TT should be up there taking questions too. Most GM's face the media at season's end.

mkonyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Ted sticking around it'll be another year of draft n develop...Capers won't get any help on defense which will cost us another playoff run. I wonder how many basketball players we draft this year. I won't be watching.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Ted sticking around it'll be another year of draft n develop...Capers won't get any help on defense which will cost us another playoff run. I wonder how many basketball players we draft this year. I won't be watching.
we won't miss you

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I do agree that Capers would have better results with more talent, but given that the talent level isn't where it needs to be, I don't know if he can make the adjustments or changes schematically to accommodate for the lack of talent. That's where Capers is sour with me.

There have been too many occasions where guys looked lost our there this year. Could it be a player issue? Perhaps, but it's Capers job to make sure they know what they are doing.

If Capers is going to be retained, then Ted needs to get some veteran talent on that defense. Otherwise, I think the team should explore its options.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. Of all coaches "Moving on" I did not think it would be Clements.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The same guy who completely ruined play calling was the big reason why the offense struggles happened last year?

Eh. He won't be missed see you later Tom, please take your buddy Dom with you

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM said: "I think it’s a compliment when you see your personnel guys get interviews and there’s attraction to our assistant coaches that I’m dealing with right now"

I guess Eliot Wolf is the personnel guy he's talking about, but what attraction to assistant coaches is he talking about? Please somebody hire Capers away from us.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Interesting. Of all coaches "Moving on" I did not think it would be Clements.
I wondered what had happened to him. Thought I saw him on the sidelines once. Didn't surprise me although I hadn't given it any thought. Had to be a pretty severe kick in the ego for the guy.

H

HardRightEdge

What was Clements' job as "Associate Head Coach" anyway once he got bounced from play calling?

The head coach is the de facto offensive coordinator, another guy is holding the title of "Offensive Coordinator" who looks more like an assistant offensive coordinator, and the QB (to hear Chucky tell it) runs meetings.

I think when the play calling was taken away from him he was given the courtesy of time to find a way to create value. I'm guessing that did not happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why I love this forum. You voice an opinion and someone disagrees they are soooo polite about it.
Had nothing to do with disagreeing. You said you wouldn't be watching, seemingly because the product is just too unbearable, so don't. We won't miss you

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I do agree that Capers would have better results with more talent, but given that the talent level isn't where it needs to be, I don't know if he can make the adjustments or changes schematically to accommodate for the lack of talent. That's where Capers is sour with me.

There have been too many occasions where guys looked lost our there this year. Could it be a player issue? Perhaps, but it's Capers job to make sure they know what they are doing.

If Capers is going to be retained, then Ted needs to get some veteran talent on that defense. Otherwise, I think the team should explore its options.

While I wouldn't mind the Packers firing Capers as his body of work over the last six seasons isn't impressive by any means I highly doubt another defensive coordinator would be able to do much better with this defense completely lacking talent.

The same guy who completely ruined play calling was the big reason why the offense struggles happened last year?

Eh. He won't be missed see you later Tom, please take your buddy Dom with you

Clements had a pretty successful tenure with the Packers as quarterbacks coach from 2006-11 and as offensive coordinators over the next three seasons. The offense struggled once he took over play calling though and McCarthy should have moved on from him after stripping him of those duties.

MM said: "I think it’s a compliment when you see your personnel guys get interviews and there’s attraction to our assistant coaches that I’m dealing with right now"

I guess Eliot Wolf is the personnel guy he's talking about, but what attraction to assistant coaches is he talking about? Please somebody hire Capers away from us.

I haven't heard about any Packers coach having been interviewed by another team either.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Clements got tired of robbing the packers of a pay check lol. I wonder when Capers and TT will do the same.
The Packers, loyal to the end, graciously allowed him to finish up his contract instead of jettisoning him a season early. Take that as a clue to the other two names you mentioned.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Strange isn't it that the cats drafted and acquired for the old 43 scheme were generally better than the players picked up and drafted specifically for Capers 34? Anyone else remember our teams love affair with ZBS style Olinemen? Everyone knew that Teddy couldn't draft a offensive lineman to save his life, and then the team started selecting a different type back in 08 and within 2 years we had a quality OL again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts