Tom Brady is no Brett Favre

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One more thing.

Pats get the ball back with 35 seconds left. Bellichick immediately calls for one pass to end it all, a la Favre to Jennings against the Broncos. Randy Moss is sent deep and the pass is barely short and gets deflected by the Giants' DB.

As much as I love Driver & Jennings, Moss and Welker are faster. Still, if I'm not mistaken, Favre completed more 40+ yard passes this season than Brady did. Favre has the better long ball and the stronger arm.

Had that been Favre back there throwing that long ball, I'm not saying Favre would have completed it. But I will say Favre had a better shot at completing it than Brady. Had that pass been completed, would have been a completely different game.

Yeah but wait about 8 years or so when Brady gets to Favre's age now.

Then you will see him zing those 40+ yard completions... You have to be minimum 38 years old before you can complete them in the NFL.

Then the fans think they know you better than you. Say things like " The player we knew would have made that toss" or "He blew it and cost the game." and "he's a choker".

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One more thing.

Pats get the ball back with 35 seconds left. Bellichick immediately calls for one pass to end it all, a la Favre to Jennings against the Broncos. Randy Moss is sent deep and the pass is barely short and gets deflected by the Giants' DB.

As much as I love Driver & Jennings, Moss and Welker are faster. Still, if I'm not mistaken, Favre completed more 40+ yard passes this season than Brady did. Favre has the better long ball and the stronger arm.

Had that been Favre back there throwing that long ball, I'm not saying Favre would have completed it. But I will say Favre had a better shot at completing it than Brady. Had that pass been completed, would have been a completely different game.

Oh, I take issue with that. That first deep pass by Brady at the end was near to perfect, only great D saved the day there.

Brett's long ball sucks. I don't watch enough Brady to know that his is any better, but this pass was near to unbeatable. Brett's long ball is hot and cold. It's the best example of his lack of accuracy. Sometimes he's perfect, most times he not.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
One more thing.

Oh, I take issue with that. That first deep pass by Brady at the end was near to perfect, only great D saved the day there.

Brett's long ball sucks. I don't watch enough Brady to know that his is any better, but this pass was near to unbeatable. Brett's long ball is hot and cold. It's the best example of his lack of accuracy. Sometimes he's perfect, most times he not.

Stats? I'm guessing Favre is more accurate on over 40YD passes than Brady. Can Brady even throw over 40yds. ?

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Timmons said:
Zombieslayer said:
One more thing.

Stats? I'm guessing Favre is more accurate on over 40YD passes than Brady. Can Brady even throw over 40yds. ?

Brett had more 40+ yard completions than Brady this year, and that's even with Brady having Randy Moss (who is ridiculously fast). So even in Brady's best year he's ever had, Brett at 38 beat him.

Brett Favre owns the record for most 75+ yards completions ever.

Favre's long ball > Brady's long ball. Stats prove it.

That last pass was weak. That's why it got deflected. Didn't go far enough. Favre has the strongest arm in the game, hands down.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DGB454 said:
Timmons said:
Zombieslayer said:
One more thing.

Brett had more 40+ yard completions than Brady this year, and that's even with Brady having Randy Moss (who is ridiculously fast). So even in Brady's best year he's ever had, Brett at 38 beat him.

That last pass was weak. That's why it got deflected. Didn't go far enough. Favre has the strongest arm in the game, hands down.
Bingo. But never let facts get in the way of a good story. :D

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both can throw the ball. When they have time to step up in a hail mary fashon they can both throw the ball a mile. Bradys throws to Moss at the end of the game were 60 yards.

Bretts OT throw against Denver was 43yds in the air from the pocket with one step, and he had more left, Bradys record throw to Moss was 40yds from the pocket with two steps and it looked like that was all he had.

This is one reason that Brett can be so dangerous is because he can throw it farther when not having room to step up. With just arm strength. This throw is also more dangerous because accuracy is lost when just using the arm.

I would always prefer a QB that can make the unordinary throws. Any QB can throw with time and space.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I think it's pretty dumb to say that Brett can't let 'em loose. The man can throw. End of story.

With that being said, sometimes he does just that, throw the ball up and hope the receivers can make a play. We may not like it, but the receivers do.

Like it or love it, it's Brett, and won't change until he's gone i'm sure.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to add some stats because we all love stats:

Week 2 - Favre named NFC Offensive Player of the Week in 35-13 win over the Giants. Favre threw for 286 yards and 3 TDs and won his 149th game, surpassing John Elway as most wins ever for starting QB.

Week 3 - Favre throws for 3 TD passes, including a 57-yard TD strike to Gregorious Jennings, tying Marino at 420 TD passes in 31-24 win over the Chargers

Week 4 - Favre throws for 344 yards and 2 TD strikes, breaking Dan Marino's all-time TD record. Favre is named to his 2nd Offensive Player of the Week honor this season

Week 8 - Favre throws a 79-yard TD bomb to rookie James Jones and Packers win in OT 19-13 over the Broncos on the very first play in OT with an 82-yard TD strike to Gregorious Jennings.

Week 9 - Favre throws 2 TDs to Gregorious, one a 13-yarder and the other a 60-yarder in a Packer 33-22 win over the Chiefs

Week 10 - Favre surpasses 60,000 yards, trailing only Dan Marino in total yards. In the game, Favre throws 3 TD passes, two to Ruvell Martin and one to Donald Lee. Packers go on to shutout the Vikings 34-0.

Week 11 - Favre ties Dan Marino with his 62nd career game with 3 TD passes or more. Favre throws 3 TDs as the Packers defeat the Panthers 31-17.

Week 12 - Favre throws for 381 yards and 3 TDs, breaking the record he formerly shared with Dan Marino for most games with 3+ TDs. Packers go on to defeat the Lions on Thanksgiving 37-26.

Week 14 - Favre throws and 80-yard TD to Gregorious Jennings and a 46-yard TD to Donald Lee in a 38-7 romp over the Oakland Raiders

Week 15 - Favre surpasses Dan Marino for most yards ever. Favre also throws a 4 yard TD to Donald Lee and a 44-yard TD to Gregorious.

Week 17 - Brett Favre leaves the game early in the 2nd Quarter, but before he leaves, he threw 2 TD passes. Packers go on to sweep the Lions with a 34-13 win.

Divisional Playoff - Favre goes 18-23 for 173 yards and 3 TDs, joining Joe Montana as the only 2 QBs in NFL history to throw for 5000+ yards in the Playoffs.

NFC Championship game - Favre throws a 90-yard TD to Donald Driver in a 23-20 OT loss to the Giants with the game temperature at -1F. It is the 3rd coldest game in NFL history.

And yes, PackFanWithTwins is right. Favre can throw off his back foot and from weird angles and positions that other QBs can't do. His arm is so strong that he can throw completely incorrectly and still complete a bomb. Anyone can throw deep when they have protection. Favre can throw deep no matter what his footwork is.

DoddPower

Reaction score
Dammit, sorry to make two post.

That's one reason a guy like Randy Moss WOULD be a nice addition, even though I don't want him coming here. I say this because he is amazing at going up and fighting for the ball. How many of his catches this year were just a product of Brady throwing the ball to him when he wasn't even open at all, and Moss just goes up and gets it. It makes it pretty easy for a quarterback when you're fairly confident that all you have to do is throw it in the area of your receiver and there's a great chance he will come down with it.

Driver fights for the ball pretty well. But it seems to me that our receivers don't "go up and get it" enough. It's probably due to several factors such as risk of injury, height advantage, vertical skills, confidence etc. Jenning's doesn't seem to fight for the ball in traffic very well. Several times this year he barely even tried when that happened. To me, he's more of a finesse guy . . . but he's damn good at it. He's only 5'11, so that has something to do with it. Driver is only 6' so he doesn't usually have a great height advantage either, but even if it means not going up as much, he will put himself on the line for a catch.

Our tallest receiver is Martin at 6'4. Moss is 6'4 and T. Owens is only 6'3. If we can toughen up Martin a little bit, he would really be a big threat and may have unlimited potential. Jennings with the speed, Driver over the middle, and Martin playing jump ball . . along with a little Robinson (6'1) and Jones (6'1) mixed in . . . definitely could be unstoppable.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's one reason a guy like Randy Moss WOULD be a nice addition, even though I don't want him coming here. I say this because he is amazing at going up and fighting for the ball. How many of his catches this year were just a product of Brady throwing the ball to him when he wasn't even open at all, and Moss just goes up and gets it. It makes it pretty easy for a quarterback when you're fairly confident that all you have to do is throw it in the area of your receiver and there's a great chance he will come down with it.

Driver fights for the ball pretty well. But it seems to me that our receivers don't "go up and get it" enough. It's probably due to several factors such as risk of injury, height advantage, vertical skills, confidence etc. Jenning's doesn't seem to fight for the ball in traffic very well. Several times this year he barely even tried when that happened. To me, he's more of a finesse guy . . . but he's damn good at it. He's only 5'11, so that has something to do with it. Driver is only 6' so he doesn't usually have a great height advantage either, but even if it means not going up as much, he will put himself on the line for a catch.

Our tallest receiver is Martin at 6'4. Moss is 6'4 and T. Owens is only 6'3. If we can toughen up Martin a little bit, he would really be a big threat and may have unlimited potential. Jennings with the speed, Driver over the middle, and Martin playing jump ball . . along with a little Robinson (6'1) and Jones (6'1) mixed in . . . definitely could be unstoppable.

Not to nitpick, but Steve Smith is 5'9". If there's a ball that's between him and a DB, Steve Smith will get it.

DoddPower

Reaction score
DoddPower said:

Not to nitpick, but Steve Smith is 5'9". If there's a ball that's between him and a DB, Steve Smith will get it.

That's a good point. Then what do you think it is that give him that ability? Big balls?? heh.

And if so, I'd like to see more of it from our receivers (but i'm not complaining at all).

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a good point. Then what do you think it is that give him that ability? Big balls?? heh.

And if so, I'd like to see more of it from our receivers (but i'm not complaining at all).

He's a beast. It's partly an insane work ethic, partly God-given talent.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DGB454 said:
Timmons said:
Zombieslayer said:
One more thing.

That last pass was like 60+ yards. I really doubt Brett would've faired much better. The only guy in the league right now who has the arm strength to consistently lead a receiver on a 60+ yard pattern is JaMarcus Russell.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Toronto_Cheesehead said:
DGB454 said:
Timmons said:
Zombieslayer said:
One more thing.

That last pass was like 60+ yards. I really doubt Brett would've faired much better. The only guy in the league right now who has the arm strength to consistently lead a receiver on a 60+ yard pattern is JaMarcus Russell.

which would imply that no QB has the accuracy to do so.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Toronto_Cheesehead said:

Favre used to throw 72 yards. I'd be shocked if he can't still throw 65. I'm willing to guess he's still in the high 60s.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Toronto_Cheesehead said:

Favre used to throw 72 yards. I'd be shocked if he can't still throw 65. I'm willing to guess he's still in the high 60s.

I saw in the QB contest on TV in the 90's he won the distance throw one year with an 84 yard toss.

I don't know about you but I'd say a 70+ right now with the wind isn't out of the Question.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
Toronto_Cheesehead said:

I saw in the QB contest on TV in the 90's he won the distance throw one year with an 84 yard toss.

I don't know about you but I'd say a 70+ right now with the wind isn't out of the Question.

Heh. My memory sucks. I don't know where I got 72 from.

I saw that same QB contest. It's just I have C.R.S. Maybe that's what John Elway threw when Brett smoked him.

Members online

Latest posts