Tom Brady is no Brett Favre

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The homerism and unfounded hatred of Tom Brady in this thread is just nuts.

Should he continue his pace, Brady will go down as a top 3 QB. Easily.

How many SB wins does Brett have? Cause TB has 3.

People are talking about Brady having more talented teams surrounding him. What?!? The Pats are famous for rescuing old veterans from the NFL scrap heap.

Someone mentioned Brett throwing TDs, and how PF-PA is what matters. No, W's and L's are all that matter in the playoffs.

But if you really want to match stats, who threw the game-ending INT?

Cause the "overrated" Tom Brady had zero picks in his latest game.

Oh, and he had a badly injured ankle, and zero time to throw. How does that take away from his talent again?

lol

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Tom Brady had hands down the best team to ever lose a Super Bowl.

I think Jim Kelly may have about four things to say about that.

Same as Brett against Denver.

Same as the Rams in '01.

I forgot that we were 18-0 in '97 and the Bills were 18-0 going into their SBs and our '97 was the best Offense EVER. My bad.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

People are talking about Brady having more talented teams surrounding him. What?!? The Pats are famous for rescuing old veterans from the NFL scrap heap.

Someone mentioned Brett throwing TDs, and how PF-PA is what matters. No, W's and L's are all that matter in the playoffs.

Oh, and he had a badly injured ankle, and zero time to throw. How does that take away from his talent again?

lol

Yup. he had 0 picks. And very little production.

No risk. No reward. I love that.

I should tell my son, "son, don't try too hard. Don't work hard. Don't study hard. Just be surrounded by talent."

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard many coaches who have worked with Favre say that if they had one game to win, they would want him as their QB. And that's how I've always viewed it; if Favre can't find a way to win, it just wasn't meant to be.

Bingo!

That sums it up right there.

there are times in life when you have to take chances. Sometimes they pan out, sometimes they don't. But often, doing something is better than doing nothing. You'll never get better at anything if you don't take risks.

Sometimes Favre's risks make us shutter and throw things at the TV. Sometimes we win games that there's no way we should have won. And on top of that, those games are games that NO OTHER QB would have won.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JoshTheChild said:
I know people would want my head for that comment on this board, but that is just what I think. If favre would of retired sooner maybe I would of thought different

So you are saying that Brett was better, but now he isn't? So Favre plays longer than all of them, not missing ONE game, and because of it he is no longer better than them?

Tom Brady is a good quarterback. BUT, that is all. No way is Brady one of the best ever. Brady has been surrounded by talent his entire career. This year the entire O-Line are pro bowl players. What NFL QB wouldn't have 50 touchdowns if he had 15 seconds to throw the ball and on top of that have great recievers? I just don't see how anyone could say Brady is one of the best. Patriots could trade Brady for Grossman and still have the same results.

I wouldn't go as far as saying Grossman would be good on that team because Grossman is a retarded monkey.

But put any of today's starting top 16 QBs with that OL, those WRs, and that RB talent and they'd have 500+ points. Brady is d*** good, don't get me wrong. He's one of the top 20, probably even higher QBs ever to play the game.

But when things get tough, I'd take Favre over Brady.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Zombieslayer said:
Tom Brady had hands down the best team to ever lose a Super Bowl.

I think Jim Kelly may have about four things to say about that.

Same as Brett against Denver.

Same as the Rams in '01.

I forgot that we were 18-0 in '97 and the Bills were 18-0 going into their SBs and our '97 was the best Offense EVER. My bad.

So the team around him gets credit for being 18-0 and having the most prolific offense ever, but its Brady's fault when they lose. ????

My point is good teams lose occasionally in SBs. That doesn't automatically make the qb suck.

JoshTheChild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

not to mention LAst year he led the patriots to the AFC championship with basically no receiving core. hell almost went to the superbowl

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. he had 0 picks. And very little production.

No risk. No reward. I love that.

I should tell my son, "son, don't try too hard. Don't work hard. Don't study hard. Just be surrounded by talent."

Eli had 0 TDs and 0 picks in the NFC Championship.

Then a TD and 1 pick to go with about 3 near-INTs in the big game.

Brady had 1 TD and 0 picks in the SB.

I don't see your point, really.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

not to mention LAst year he led the patriots to the AFC championship with basically no receiving core. hell almost went to the superbowl

Brady's ankle was not "Badly Injured". That was a media ploy that they made bigger than it was. He said he was feeling fine and did not have much, if any pain. Now you're making excuses for him.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady's ankle was not "Badly Injured". That was a media ploy that they made bigger than it was. He said he was feeling fine and did not have much, if any pain. Now you're making excuses for him.

Technically, PFT/Tom Martinez is/are making excuses for him. I'm just relaying what I read this morning.

NEWS FLASH: BRADY WAS HURT

The absence of any reference to Tom Brady's ankle on the Super Bowl injury report prompted many to conclude that he wasn't injured. Especially since the report did mention that persistent shoulder problem of unknown origin, which by all appearances has never actually affected his performance.

And Brady's personal passing guru, Tom Martinez, now tells the New York Daily News that Brady's performance in the Super Bowl suggests that the ankle was indeed bothering him.

"He had chances and he had guys open, but in an atypical way, the ball wasn't getting there," Tom Martinez told the Daily News. "[The coaches] didn't move the pocket much to get him outside the pocket. They didn't do some things they've done in the past. That led me to believe there was some kind of problem with the ankle.

"I saw a different approach from them," Martinez added. "They're so smart, and yet it was kind of shocking they didn't have a few more answers. I felt like -- and I have to be careful with what I say -- that they stayed too long with what they were doing.

"They weren't really aggressive the way they went about it. In the second and third period, it's like they were trying to hang on, 7-3. That led me to believe that something internal was going on. It wasn't typical. Those coaches always have answers to the people who give them problems."

If Brady really was injured, it makes us wonder whether the ruse to make him appear to be just fine actually hampered his physical preparation for the game. For example, after he was spotted in a walking boot in Manhattan 15 days ago, he was quick to create video of himself walking around without the boot, perhaps at a time when he needed to be wearing the boot. And he took every rep in practice last week, even though maybe he should have been spending that time not testing an ankle that needed to further heal.

To their credit, the Pats aren't using Brady's condition as an excuse. Then again, they really can't. By declaring his ankle to be healthy via the injury report, any suggestion that it wasn't could prompt the NFL to come down hard of them.

After all, the purpose of the injury report is to ensure that there will be no inside information to which gamblers might try to get access by, for example, paying off players or other team employees. In this case, the apparent health of Brady would have made New England minus-12 appear to be a good bet. For anyone who knew the truth, the Giants getting the points was the smart play.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
So the team around him gets credit for being 18-0 and having the most prolific offense ever, but its Brady's fault when they lose. ????

My point is good teams lose occasionally in SBs. That doesn't automatically make the qb suck.

I'm not saying Brady sucks. But put Favre on the '07 Patriots and you might see NE with a win. Brady just didn't produce.

Key word here is might. I'm not saying Favre would have won. The Giants played a heck of a game. I'd rather have Favre in there than Brady.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Brady wasn't hurt. He played badly and missed throws because he was hearing footsteps.

You could be right. But I don't believe that that would make him less of a QB than anyone, Favre or otherwise. Any QB gets roughed up like he did and they're gonna start sailing throws, am I right?

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Brady wasn't hurt. He played badly and missed throws because he was hearing footsteps.

Bingo!

Again, not saying Favre would have done better. But historically, Favre handles pressure better than Brady. And Favre is a beast to bring down. Brady looked like a scarecrow in that game.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

I'm not saying Brady sucks. But put Favre on the '07 Patriots and you might see NE with a win. Brady just didn't produce.

Key word here is might. I'm not saying Favre would have won. The Giants played a heck of a game. I'd rather have Favre in there than Brady.

Now that's the reasonable Zombie that I've grown accustomed to!

The course of this thread turned into a "Brady's overrated, Favre is better" thread. Which is fine to make that argument, but the basis for it seemed to be that his team lost in the Super Bowl, so that makes the above true.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but I just think that TB will go down as a one of the best ever, while Favre is a lock in my top 2.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, this is from Brady's guy:

"He had chances and he had guys open, but in an atypical way, the ball wasn't getting there," Tom Martinez told the Daily News. "[The coaches] didn't move the pocket much to get him outside the pocket. They didn't do some things they've done in the past. That led me to believe there was some kind of problem with the ankle.

Take it how you will, but you can't just write it off to "media hype" with a comment like that.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Now that's the reasonable Zombie that I've grown accustomed to!

The course of this thread turned into a "Brady's overrated, Favre is better" thread. Which is fine to make that argument, but the basis for it seemed to be that his team lost in the Super Bowl, so that makes the above true.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but I just think that TB will go down as a one of the best ever, while Favre is a lock in my top 2.

PIB - Well, I won't deny I'm prejudiced. ;)

Reaction score
JoshTheChild said:
eap33 said:
Woodson_fan said:
I'd say Favre and Brady are the two best QBs in the history of the game, but Brady is better, no question about that.

IMO... Brady is not even in the Top 5... Brett is.
brett is maybe a top 15 QB

MAYBE a top 15?! Wow wake up. Brett is AT LEAST in the top 10.

Definitely at least top 10, after the past year it'd be difficult to argue he isn't in the top 5.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:

Bingo!

Again, not saying Favre would have done better. But historically, Favre handles pressure better than Brady. And Favre is a beast to bring down. Brady looked like a scarecrow in that game.

Favre was a real beast in that Dallas game when they were putting the type of pressure on him that Brady was seeing last night from the Giants :roll: I don't care how great a QB is, if your O-line is letting guys through as soon as the ball is snapped then you're gonna play like garbage. It doesn't matter if it's Brady, Favre, Manning, Elway, or Montana under center.

Brady wasn't a scarecrow out there. He tried to step into every throw, even though he knew he was gonna get hit every time. He may not be the ironman Favre is, but he's still one of the toughest players in the league.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JoshTheChild said:
brett is maybe a top 15 QB
If there are 14 qbs better than Favre, name them.

I couldn't even name 3 that are currently playing. Throughout the history of the game maybe 10 that are in his league but for me that's a big maybe.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Zombieslayer,

You put some good thought into this, thanks !!!

Heh. My favorite non-Packer QB was Joe Montana. No matter how bad things got, he never yelled at his teammates and always had the same expression. He'd probably be a demon in poker.

Tom Brady is no Joe Montana. I've been hearing those comparisons for way too long and hopefully, the Giants put an end to them.

I agree Brady is great. What does that make Favre, Unitas, Elway and Montana?

Longest TD pass I ever saw was from Montana.... to North Dakota.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One more thing.

Pats get the ball back with 35 seconds left. Bellichick immediately calls for one pass to end it all, a la Favre to Jennings against the Broncos. Randy Moss is sent deep and the pass is barely short and gets deflected by the Giants' DB.

As much as I love Driver & Jennings, Moss and Welker are faster. Still, if I'm not mistaken, Favre completed more 40+ yard passes this season than Brady did. Favre has the better long ball and the stronger arm.

Had that been Favre back there throwing that long ball, I'm not saying Favre would have completed it. But I will say Favre had a better shot at completing it than Brady. Had that pass been completed, would have been a completely different game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts