Tom Brady is no Brett Favre

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson_fan said:
I'd say Favre and Brady are the two best QBs in the history of the game, but Brady is better, no question about that.

IMO... Brady is not even in the Top 5... Brett is.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is Brady no Favre? More like Favre is no Brady, and no one ever will be as good as Brady.

Brady is still 15-3 in the postseason folks. Fastest ever to 100 wins.

66-14 past 5 years. Two different streaks of 18(+) consecutive wins. 3 Super Bowls.

Brady will probably play ~7 more years and he plays anything near the level he's at now(which should be easy as he is in his 'prime') he will break all of Favre's records.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
How is Brady no Favre? More like Favre is no Brady, and no one ever will be as good as Brady.

66-14 past 5 years. Two different streaks of 18(+) consecutive wins. 3 Super Bowls.

Brady will probably play ~7 more years and he plays anything near the level he's at now(which should be easy as he is in his 'prime') he will break all of Favre's records.

Sure he might have the wins, but I don't see the great talent. His O-line works wonders for him, and he got multiple Pro Bowl WR's to boot this year. The Patriot defense and Vinateri leg won those championships for them. Now I am not saying his isn't good, just severely overrated from this one year.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

At current pace it will take Brady 9+ years to catch Brett in yards and almost 9 to catch him in TD's. I highly doubt that Brady is going to continue to put up numbers like he did this year. To catch these two records Tom is going to need to play as long as Vinny T.

Peyton has a much better chance at the records. Has a higher TD and Yard average over a longer career than Brady.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

The stats you bore out applies more to the quality team that he played on. I'd like to see what Brady's stats would be like with a mediocre team...

Which may be coming...

Woodson_fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His wideouts were terrible last year, Caldwell was the number one WR, and his drops cost the pats a trip to the super bowl last year, last year brady carried his team to the AFC championship game, and his wideouts blew it.
If you don't think brady is a top 5 QB, I'm going to guess you ride the short bus.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Woodson_fan said:
His wideouts were terrible last year, Caldwell was the number one WR, and his drops cost the pats a trip to the super bowl last year, last year brady carried his team to the AFC championship game, and his wideouts blew it.
If you don't think brady is a top 5 QB, I'm going to guess you ride the short bus.

Yeah, I must say, I don't really like the guy, but he is damn good. Some times one doesn't have as good as circumstances as another, but that shouldn't and can't be a deterrent from achieving greatness. The truly great make all around them aspire for and often achieve greatness. That's one of Favre's best qualities. However, one could put up a good argument that Brady has done the same for quite awhile (as much as I don't really want to admit it).

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson_fan said:
I'd say Favre and Brady are the two best QBs in the history of the game, but Brady is better, no question about that.

For some strange reason, I suspect that you are biased toward Brady because he's a University of Michigan graduate.

joym13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is a great quaterback, Brady is a great quarterback - no reason to really compare them.

I agree that Favre didn't get the hits that Brady did at all. The field may have helped our O-line some, but there really is no way to know.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

At current pace it will take Brady 9+ years to catch Brett in yards and almost 9 to catch him in TD's. I highly doubt that Brady is going to continue to put up numbers like he did this year. To catch these two records Tom is going to need to play as long as Vinny T.

Peyton has a much better chance at the records. Has a higher TD and Yard average over a longer career than Brady.

Agreed. If Favre has to worry about anyone breaking his records, it's Peyton Manning, not Brady.

I hate immobile QBs. Put Brady behind a bad OL and he'll suck. He was pretty much worthless against the Giants. He's lucky he had Wes Welker, who by the way, Brady yelled at when it was Brady's fault. That was the epitome of uncool.

If the Pats can't maintain a good OL, Brady will get injured. This is the NFL, not the I can't move league.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer,

You put some good thought into this, thanks !!!

Heh. My favorite non-Packer QB was Joe Montana. No matter how bad things got, he never yelled at his teammates and always had the same expression. He'd probably be a demon in poker.

Tom Brady is no Joe Montana. I've been hearing those comparisons for way too long and hopefully, the Giants put an end to them.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if Brady ends up being better than Favre, he will never mean as much to New England as Favre does to Green Bay. Book that.

18-1*

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Zombieslayer,

You put some good thought into this, thanks !!!

Heh. My favorite non-Packer QB was Joe Montana. No matter how bad things got, he never yelled at his teammates and always had the same expression. He'd probably be a demon in poker.

Tom Brady is no Joe Montana. I've been hearing those comparisons for way too long and hopefully, the Giants put an end to them.

Actually my favorite QB after Brett is Joe as well. I can't believe some people put Brady in that class yet either Man !!!

JoshTheChild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JoshTheChild said:
I think brady is better than favre ever was. brett was great, but I think brady, peyton, elway, steve young, joe montana were all much better

Wow.... what the hell? Are you insane? Did you not just see Super Tom crumble under the bright green kryptonite known as a good defense? Joe Montana, sure. Steve Young... eh, maybe. Elway? Pushin' it... Brady has time to prove himself, but he's not on the same level as Favre... and Peyton?! Get the hell outta here... Peyton is THE choke artist. The Colts have the 2nd best record out of any team over the past 5 years (63-7 incase you were wondering). Right behind the Patriots (66-4) and they've only seen the big show once?! COME ON. This is a ridiculous claim.
\\

I did not expect fans on my teams board to agree with me lol, I am just stating my opinion. maybe I am right maybe wrong? the truth is there is no way we can ever really prove it, yes brady did not play well last night, but he still has 3 rings and 4 super bowl appearances. pathetic huh?

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Brady had hands down the best team to ever lose a Super Bowl.

That's a HUGE strike against him.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackFanWithTwins said:
Yared-Yam said:

Agreed. If Favre has to worry about anyone breaking his records, it's Peyton Manning, not Brady.

I hate immobile QBs. Put Brady behind a bad OL and he'll suck. He was pretty much worthless against the Giants. He's lucky he had Wes Welker, who by the way, Brady yelled at when it was Brady's fault. That was the epitome of uncool.

If the Pats can't maintain a good OL, Brady will get injured. This is the NFL, not the I can't move league.

Ask Brian Urlacher if Tom Brady is mobile. He may not move like Elway, but he's mobile enough for the position. Also, Brady didn't have a mic on, so its unfair to say he ripped into Wes. Brady's on the sidelines yelling and screaming when his team is up by 4 touchdowns. He's just a competitive guy. I doubt Welker took it as being yelled at. You're really grasping for straws here. Just today I was watching America's Game on the NFL Network and they showed Peyton cussing out Jeff Saturday on the sidelines. I've never seen Brady do anything like that.

Woodson_fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C.
Yeah, you got me there, I protect my own, but he has a little advantage over Favre in the greatest QB catagory still. And like half the people here are not biased towards Brett anyways.

Holzberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know people would want my head for that comment on this board, but that is just what I think. If favre would of retired sooner maybe I would of thought different

So you are saying that Brett was better, but now he isn't? So Favre plays longer than all of them, not missing ONE game, and because of it he is no longer better than them?

Tom Brady is a good quarterback. BUT, that is all. No way is Brady one of the best ever. Brady has been surrounded by talent his entire career. This year the entire O-Line are pro bowl players. What NFL QB wouldn't have 50 touchdowns if he had 15 seconds to throw the ball and on top of that have great recievers? I just don't see how anyone could say Brady is one of the best. Patriots could trade Brady for Grossman and still have the same results.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
JoshTheChild said:
I know people would want my head for that comment on this board, but that is just what I think. If favre would of retired sooner maybe I would of thought different

So you are saying that Brett was better, but now he isn't? So Favre plays longer than all of them, not missing ONE game, and because of it he is no longer better than them?

Tom Brady is a good quarterback. BUT, that is all. No way is Brady one of the best ever. Brady has been surrounded by talent his entire career. This year the entire O-Line are pro bowl players. What NFL QB wouldn't have 50 touchdowns if he had 15 seconds to throw the ball and on top of that have great recievers? I just don't see how anyone could say Brady is one of the best. Patriots could trade Brady for Grossman and still have the same results.

I think that's a slight exaggeration.

Brady is definitely in the elite class of quarterbacks. Whether or not he is one of the "greatest ever," that's debateable. I don't think he is one of the greatest yet, but he is certainly elite, and is undoubtedly in a different class then Rex Grossman.

Fan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady is in the mold of Montana.... a great system QB who sees the field, is patient and knows what he is looking for. He strives for perfection and operates best when he has the tools to be perfect (ie, a great O-line that gives him time to let the play develop, good WRs, and a good game plan.) He is happy to pull the ball down and give up on a play when things break down. It is one of his strengths, because he doesn't improvise well.

Favre could give a s%^* about perfection. He thrives on the making the big play and getting into the end zone. When he's hot, he can ... and does... take over games, like he did against Seattle. Very few QBs could have done what he did in that game. He is a master at improvisation because he knows the game so well and has a never-say-die attitude. He would rather throw the ball and challenge his receiver to make the play than go home a loser.

It's a difference of styles. Who is better? No one has won more games, thrown more TDs, made more attempts or thrown more completions than Favre, which means that for all but 1/2 season (the year he broke his thumb) he has been the Packer offense. GB has lived by Favre, and died by Favre, for 17 years. He has done more with less than any other QB. He has made mediocre WRs look like stars. But his style has also gotten him in trouble.

The problem comes when comparing the two. Favre is obvious in his mistakes - interceptions. Brady is deceptive in his failures - a play not made, a shot not taken. In fact, the times when Brady has been forced to play like Favre (ie, pushed out his comfortable pocket and forced to throw to covered receivers, in pressure situations like last-minute drives or OT) he's had about the same success as Favre. You win some, you lose some.

I've heard many coaches who have worked with Favre say that if they had one game to win, they would want him as their QB. And that's how I've always viewed it; if Favre can't find a way to win, it just wasn't meant to be.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts