1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

To the gearheads on here: I just had to share because it's too damn funny

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by MrUdonta, Apr 8, 2018.

1. MrUdonta

MrUdonta Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +367
    Okay, if you're not a gear head you probably won't quite get this but anyway...

I was at work last night talking to a couple guys about ways to get a little extra MPG from your vehicle. Specifically this guy Braydon was asking us about it. I told him just keep your foot out of the gas pedal and accelerate slower, etc. This other guy Marty speaks up and said that he found a video years ago that had a tip to increase MPG by 10-12% for only a few bucks. So of course Braydon wanted to know what it was.

Marty said all you had to do was change your speedometer gear to one with fewer teeth. He said he changed the gear in his Mustang six years ago and his highway mpg went from 23 mpg to almost 28 mpg. I thought he was joking at first but he was dead serious.

That explained a lot because he is always complaining that almost everyone drives so much faster today than they did 10 years ago and he must be the only person staying within 5 mph of the speed limit anymore.

I quietly wondered if he has noticed how much further he has to drive to get to work now than he did 6 years ago.

Me and Braydon were going to clue him in but he seems pretty proud of himself for increasing his MPG and we didn't want the guy to feel like a total idiot. Besides, we figured if he's that stupid, then anything slowing him down on the highway is probably good anyway. :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Poppa San

Poppa San Go Pack Go Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,835
    Some people shouldn't be allowed to breed.
    Years ago, a friend had a Chrysler Cordoba. It had small rear facing turn signals on top of the fender. Easier to see if you left them on I guess. Anyway, if you "over accelerated" they'd light up so her instructions were to never let it light up. They didn't apply to her of course.
    Another learning aid I heard of was to suction cup or glue a golf tee to the dashboard and put a wiffle ball on it. Never let the ball fall off. Was it Fast times at ridgemont high that had the driving license tester with a cup of coffee or was it a TV show?

3. MrUdonta

MrUdonta Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +367
    I did ask him how many miles he's put on it since then and he said about 210,000. I bet he's really only put about 185-190k. That's the really bad part. He's devalued his vehicle more than it should be.

Not sure but it sure sounds familiar.

4. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,127
    Just think if he'd retrofit and DIY hydrogen injector along with removing some teeth. He'll probably set records.

5. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,469
    It's getting to be that time of the year where I have to get the winter air out of my tires too. Hey, while we're covering these essential topics, I seem to have developed some pinholes in my exhaust system - anyone have any idea where I can get a box of welding sparks to plug those little goobers up?

6. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,113
    same place for blinker fluid

7. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,127
    Go get the nitrogen fill up at the dealer for your tires. Totally worth it. I just leave the winter air in my winter tires. Still waiting to take those off...

8. MrUdonta

MrUdonta Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +367
    If you have a Sams membership, they'll do it for free.

9. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,127
    The winter air or tires?

10. MrUdonta

MrUdonta Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +367
    Not sure what you mean by winter air, but I mean nitrogen.

11. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,127
    I was joking :) I use the 78% Nitrogen in my tires, winter and summer

12. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +7,846
    I use helium in my air mattress, I sleep a lot lighter now. :coffee:

13. MrUdonta

MrUdonta Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +367
    I prefer a 78/21 N2/O2 blend. The rest is mostly Ar.

14. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,127
    Custom blend, nice! patented recipe?

15. Poppa San

Poppa San Go Pack Go Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,835
    I've used the blend quite a bit in the past few decades also. It's the trace H2O that is the bug in the formula. Wonder if solid CO2 would work?

16. MrUdonta

MrUdonta Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +367
    Pending.