To be 5-1 at this point...how can you not be hopeful?!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not christening this team as the coming of the next Super Bowl for title town, but being someone EXTREMELY hesitant about this season and if someone had said bet your money on whether Packers win 7 games or 14 I'd have said 7 without blinking....but here we sit 5-1 overall and 3-0 in the division, while not playing a complete game yet, shoot we've barely played a complete half.

WR corps is the bane of the Packers for many...I mean to some we have a #1 and then a bunch of bums that some make sound like they wouldn't even make a roster elsewhere. Now with Adams out, we are 2-0 since....and with the likes of Allison, MVS, Kumerow, Lazzard....we are still 5-1.

We are setting currently with the highest paid TE, quickly becoming the 3rd tier guy in that group (when Tonyan is healthy now). Shoot if Jace hadn't gotten injured there is a chance Jimmy simply gets pushed out that door. Lewis is showing flashes of why he has always been one of my favorite TEs, blocker but with hands! Overall the TE group though is underachieving thanks to Graham....and yet we are 5-1.

ILB we are just a crap show behind Martinez...and honestly he last few games has regressed at touch in his tackling and play reading. This is the perpetual weekspot of this defense....and yet still we are 5-1

Running back injuries had many worried but we weathered them, and in the process Carson clearly illustrated we have a capable guy at the 3rd spot role. Despite some injuries...we again are still 5-1

I just cannot help but realize one could make a serious argument that the offense isn't even to 70% of its potential yet and the defense at times is a schitzo show looking like the greatest defense in the league and next minute like a matador letting the receivers and rushers by.....yet still we are 5-1.

I remain a realist...because all the above remind me reality could slam us...BUT we also could progress upwards towards that ceiling which is incredibly higher than we are presently illustrating.

Last edited:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By all rights, we should be 6-0... Officiating stole that PHI game from us. I normally don't go there, but, when it is that blatant...

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
By all rights, we should be 6-0... Officiating stole that PHI game from us. I normally don't go there, but, when it is that blatant...
And had the officiating went a little different last night, maybe it's a loss. We can go back and forth all day about what could have happened, would have happened, should have happened. At the end of the day, we're 5-1. And that feels pretty damn good.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And had the officiating went a little different last night, maybe it's a loss. We can go back and forth all day about what could have happened, would have happened, should have happened. At the end of the day, we're 5-1. And that feels pretty damn good.
No doubt. My thing with the officiating, is that they need to get it right. The no calls on PI which favored DET last night are not part of the narrative at all. They were not somehow less crucial... less important. They killed drives, if I'm not mistaken, handing the ball over to DET for another possession which they should not have had. Same goes for the phantom holding call on Jenkins, where he clearly did not hold on the play.

I'm really just pointing out how outrageous the narrative is today, and we Packers fans can provide a laundry list of like calls that did not go our way, through nearly every game we played, really.

Not taking anything away from the bad calls DET suffered. Just pointing out, it was not one sided. The PHI calls were completely blatant. The PI on MVS, within 2 min, non reviewable, a change of possession play, and potential scoring play in the end zone, and the officials fail to review it to make the correct call. That one alone cost us the game. The hand in Adams' facemask was another... Just calling those out for what they were.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LaFluer can work around limited WR talent. Tennessee had so many injuries in that area last year, yet they put up 34 on NE. I just wonder how good he could be with more.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I misjudged our WR depth earlier this season. Thought Allison would improve upon last year, and he has regressed. MVS catch rate is still in 55% range, which should be about 10% higher at least. Thought we would have seen an explosion of catches from Kumerow, based on his TC and Rodgers' comments on him, and those have been absent. Also expected more from Shepherd. Thank God Lazard is showing well.

That being said, I'm all in on adding a WR or two if possible. Have been for the last few weeks. Appreciate all the ideas on that here, and I have little doubt Gutes will add another soon via trade. I do not see us being truly competitive for a SB Championship without adding WR help, asap.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've had a pretty tough schedule thus far so 5-1 is great and exceeds my expectations. Still think we have a ways to go before I'd consider us "superbowl caliber".

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've had a pretty tough schedule thus far so 5-1 is great and exceeds my expectations. Still think we have a ways to go before I'd consider us "superbowl caliber".
About how I feel. The good news is, this team is having to respond to things differently every week to get the W and have been. If they can put this all together by late in the season we should be tested and ready. Gone are the days where we have to score 35+ to win, we've found different ways to get it done. Sometimes it's turnovers, sometimes it's despite the turnovers. It's pass rush, it's pass defense, it's been offense passing at times, rushing at others. ST played a role week 1 I was reminded of. lose 3 Turnovers and still win? we're learning things about ourselves.

And while it's not complete by any means, there is time to get it done, it's only mid October.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Detroit and the Twitter drones are all whining about the the refs I have had my share of ref hating calls I didn’t like and still don’t to this day, but bottom like is this Hatters, Green Bay has 3 turnovers, you could only get FG’s whose fault is that the refs, Booger and the boys said Detroit was playing against 12, but you couldn’t win with 11, I say we got a break with our D holding up to the ridiculous turn overs, this won’t be the last time a team will have the refs be in involved in a game, so don’t let them decide the game “win it”.

Reaction score
1. We’ve been winning without Davante. Thats enables him to heal properly. I might even consider keeping him out 1 more week and get these rookies some much needed reps. Bring him along slowly and activate him for the KC game.

2. Jace is eligible to practice this week and could return in as little as 2 weeks, if his recovery is on course. Him being IR’d allowed Lazard to be activated from PS, which forced us to get a better look at him yesterday. While I’m not ready to bless him as a #2, I think he’s earned a shot as our a #4 rotational.

3. Darnell Savage should be back sooner than later. He’s a noticeable better athlete than Redmond and he’ll shore up the backend.

4. Jamaal Williams has shown adequate improvement. He’s proven he can be a reliable backup to AJ and a formidable 1-2 punch. Solid runner, solid blocker, solid receiver.

5. We just won against a decent Lions team with -3 self inflicted turnovers.

6. We lead the Division, but also we beat Bears, Vikes, Lions, which spreads losses across the Division and assists in a tie breaker scenario with any of them.

7. Were 5-1, but I’m pretty confident we haven’t really played a solid game in all 3 phases. We’re winning without nearly playing our best football
(IMO) and that’s dangerous for the teams who make the mistake of underestimating us as “lucky”.

8. We have a GM who I believe will keep the throttle down player personnel wise. Don’t be surprised to see one more “significant” signing.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like how Rodgers asked for Lazard to be put in the game. Let's hope he is a fast study and can become a good #2. I like how he showed alot of gameness.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say this much his demeanor and confidence in a subtle way reminded me of how Nelson carried himself but has a touch of swagger that Nelson didn't.

Not all successful WRs are divas/cocky but never heard of one that lacked serious confidence in themselves and to tell HOF Aaron in the huddle what he wanted to do is saying something.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schedule ain't getting easier...Raiders and Panthers are tough games with Chargers also not to be underestimated before we meet Chiefs.

After that a bit of break with Giants and Skins before ending with a trio of division games.

It's a tough stretch.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I guess I am trying to figure out what Super Bowl caliber is? I mean in the NFC no team in the East looks more Super Bowl caliber than the Packers. Since we beat every team in the North I think it is reasonable to say we are the most Super Bowl caliber. In the South you have a Saints who are actually really similar to the Packers with a lot of close wins over mostly good teams, and then the Panthers who have a worse record and worse wins. Then you go out West where you have the 49ers who are so far the class of the NFC and then you have the Seahawks who havent beat a team above .500 and almost all their wins are also close.

As of right now if the Packers arent Super Bowl caliber only the 49ers are. The next group of the Packers, Saints, Vikings, Bears, Panthers, Seahawks all have serious issues as well. Honestly even with the 49ers it is fair to ask how good they are with no wins against a team above .500. If they played the Packers schedule do we think they would be undefeated?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say this much his demeanor and confidence in a subtle way reminded me of how Nelson carried himself but has a touch of swagger that Nelson didn't.

Not all successful WRs are divas/cocky but never heard of one that lacked serious confidence in themselves and to tell HOF Aaron in the huddle what he wanted to do is saying something.

Lol. Subtle confidence?! He came in playing pissed off, and there wasn't anything subtle about his confidence. After one of those catches, you could see Rodgers tell him to settle down and not get a dumb penalty.

I love it, and loved seeing him bully guys after the catch.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm cautiously hopeful (to make the playoffs). yes we're winning but both sides of the ball are doing just enough to get the result. we're relatively healthy (oops...did i say that out loud?) with a bye week coming (and two guys coming off ir) but the O is a playmaker short of being reliable. will they make a deal to fix that? depends on how urgent they think the situation is. if these backups are contributing it may make them put the decision off. will you root for these guys or hope there's failure that will prompt immediate action? with this being their best last shot (imo) i think the urgency is there.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol. Subtle confidence?! He came in playing pissed off, and there wasn't anything subtle about his confidence. After one of those catches, you could see Rodgers tell him to settle down and not get a dumb penalty.

I love it, and loved seeing him bully guys after the catch.

That play was on the final drive jawing with the DB...and is what I was saying in the second half of my statement. That wasn't his entrance.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a bit nervous that Lazard would draw a penalty on both receptions. He was pumped, for sure. Love his confidence, and was glad Rodgers made the effort to get him settled down. I'm looking forward to seeing what he is able to do the rest of the way. Nice receiver.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Schedule ain't getting easier...Raiders and Panthers are tough games with Chargers also not to be underestimated before we meet Chiefs.

After that a bit of break with Giants and Skins before ending with a trio of division games.

It's a tough stretch.
You realize KC is after the next game [Raiders] don't you????

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever. There you go again.

Let me get this straight. Two no-calls on blatant Pass Interference by PHI had ZERO effect upon the game? Tool.
They did, but so was the inability to score from inside the 5 given many chances

Members online

Latest posts