Titans Preseason - Kudos and Brickbats

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

With the change in defensive personnel - adding Peppers and subtracting Pickett, Jolly, and Wilson - along with their simplifying assignments within schemes, I think it's a good bet you'll be able to notice the changes this season.
Like I said, I saw those changes reflected in the the first quarter of this Tennessee game. I doubt we'll see any variations more dramatic than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I love the last part that I put in bold. I've read more glowing reviews about Bush this preseason. He's tearing it up in camp and looking impressive in the first preseason game. The real key is who shows up in the regular season. That said, Bush has been a steady improvement each year in the league. It really was highlighted in the Super Bowl where he was possibly third in line for MVP consideration behind Rodgers and Nelson. He had his big play to save our season last year, and *** "may" *** be working towards a legitimate role in our defense. He's had a rocky road and deserved the criticism he's received over the years, but has worked his tail off and improved every year. The kid might just turn into a semi-stud as he rumbles into his 30s.

I like Bush. (haha, read that sentence again...) Anyhow, IMO, he is Packer material. Works his butt off. Great attitude. Great team player. Excellent character, from what I have read.

Agreed that he is not a good cover corner. But, he is a fantastic gunner and ST ace. I am happy to see him in the hunt again for a spot on the final roster. I am rooting for him.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Bush. (haha, read that sentence again...) Anyhow, IMO, he is Packer material. Works his butt off. Great attitude. Great team player. Excellent character, from what I have read.

Agreed that he is not a good cover corner. But, he is a fantastic gunner and ST ace. I am happy to see him in the hunt again for a spot on the final roster. I am rooting for him.

Lousy instincts in coverage and wildly inconsistent on Defense, but he'd sprint into a brick wall if he thought it'd help the team. I remember reading an article about how he was genuinely shocked and upset to find out that he was the team's most hated player, and that he was also one of the most likable guys on the team. Ever since reading that article I've made it a point to root for him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Like I said, I saw those changes reflected in the the first quarter of this Tennessee game. I doubt we'll any variations more dramatic than that.
As you know there are more to schemes than the initial alignment, I think we will see more dramatic variations within the schemes than we've seen for some time.
IMO, he is Packer material. Works his butt off. Great attitude. Great team player. Excellent character, from what I have read.
Agreed. The thing I think a lot of Packers fans miss is his courage as a gunner on STs. And I think he may be one of the best DBs blitzing but to use him that way, he'd have to cover better than he has in the past or the opponents would just point at him and yell, 'here comes 24 on a blitz!'

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lousy instincts in coverage and wildly inconsistent on Defense, but he'd sprint into a brick wall if he thought it'd help the team. I remember reading an article about how he was genuinely shocked and upset to find out that he was the team's most hated player, and that he was also one of the most likable guys on the team. Ever since reading that article I've made it a point to root for him.
Bush will never be a great every down player but I admire him for his guts and work ethic and perserverance and wish we had more guys like that on our defense. For me, at this point in my life, I will save my disgust for the slackers, prima donnas and bad actors. I think he's a credit to the team and the league and I'm rooting for House, Hayward, Shields and the other young DB's to develop Bush's outstanding traits.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- Rodgers got the start, but he lived up to his reputation as a not particularly good blocker. Neither is Quarless, still. Running to the line and playing pattycack out of the H-back spot is not what we're looking for. Compare to Liaina crashing the line..

Having seen every play of Rodgers' Cal career I was shocked to see him drafted so high and even more shocked to see McCarthy and Rodgers talk him up. His size is great, decent hands, but he's always seemed too slow for the NFL and yes his run blocking was subpar (though in fairness he wasn't asked to do it much). Hopefully, I am wrong because the packers need a TE badly.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Having seen every play of Rodgers' Cal career I was shocked to see him drafted so high and even more shocked to see McCarthy and Rodgers talk him up. His size is great, decent hands, but he's always seemed too slow for the NFL and yes his run blocking was subpar (though in fairness he wasn't asked to do it much). Hopefully, I am wrong because the packers need a TE badly.
Well, he ran 4.85 give or take a couple of hundreths at both the Combine and his pro day. Nobody's going to confuse him with Vernon Davis, or Finley for that matter. I guess they liked his hands and his size; I guess they reckon they can teach him to block. Some blogger of note, I cannot remember which, had Rodgers' blocking in his plus column for the Tennessee game, raving in fact. He might have a decent block or two I missed, but he had a couple of bad ones I didn't.

Perhaps we should just say he's an inconsistent blocker at this time, perhaps from lack of use in college or perhaps because he just is. It's early. Answers must emerge in their due time when it comes to these unknown quantities.

I think it is safe to say he's not one of those TEs everybody seems to want per the current fashion who will be able to go outside and run receiver routes downfield. That's nice to have, but hardly necessary for winning.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, he ran 4.85 give or take a couple of hundreths at both the Combine and his pro day. Nobody's going to confuse him with Vernon Davis, or Finley for that matter. I guess they liked his hands and his size; I guess they reckon they can teach him to block. Some blogger of note, I cannot remember which, had Rodgers' blocking in his plus column for the Tennessee game, raving in fact. He might have a decent block or two I missed, but he had a couple of bad ones I didn't.

Perhaps we should just say he's an inconsistent blocker at this time, perhaps from lack of use in college or perhaps because he just is. It's early. Answers must emerge in their due time when it comes to these unknown quantities.

I think it is safe to say he's not one of those TEs everybody seems to want per the current fashion who will be able to go outside and run receiver routes downfield. That's nice to have, but hardly necessary for winning.

he was basically a receiver at cal his final year, so I do think he can go outside and run routes downfield. he just isn't going to be blowing by LBers like some guys.

D

Deleted member 6794

he was basically a receiver at cal his final year, so I do think he can go outside and run routes downfield. he just isn't going to be blowing by LBers like some guys.

I think the Packers are concerned with his in-line blocking, he should be a fine receiving TE.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers are concerned with his in-line blocking, he should be a fine receiving TE.

I think he has the size and athleticism to develop into at least a capable blocker. I very much doubt he's going to set the world on fire either as a receiving TE or a blocker though. But it's not as though he was a first round pick or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts