Tired of this bull crap

GreenBayCracker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was just looking up rumors on Yahoo, and went to the team select on the right side. I counted 31 teams in the rumor mill, all with some kind of activity going on. The one team missing, you guessed it. Not like we always have to be doing something but at least make this offseason more interesting than a funeral TT, brutal.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also wish that TT signed one big time FA, or maybe some guys that could be starters, but I would rather have the media talking about us in February 7, 2010, than right now...

Reaction score
we wouldn't of got him anyways so whats the deal i mean he met with giants and they gave him a offer and he accepted immediately. we didn't even get to meet with him what are we going to do not meet up with the guy and say here is 50 million come to are team. i would of like to of gotten the guy but it is not judgment day people.....

Reaction score
Aaron rodgers is god said:
we wouldn't of got him anyways so whats the deal i mean he met with giants and they gave him a offer and he accepted immediately. we didn't even get to meet with him what are we going to do not meet up with the guy and say here is 50 million come to are team. i would of like to of gotten the guy, but it is not judgment day people.....

OP
OP
K

Killazach

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is quoting yourself supposed to make us answer your non-existant question? Or are you really just that pleased with your post

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't understand that either... But I agree with your statement. Would've agreed, actually, if we had signed Olshansky... Now I'm pretty pissed

carlos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who knows what players will be released at the start of training camp. Sometimes there is a good veteran released who still has something left in the tank.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
not this year carlos..always was June 1st where teams would allow to push remaining signing bonuses on to the following years cap..

Since right now there is no cap, no need to do that..Thats why TO was released when he was and not after June 1st

At least that is my understanding

OP
OP
K

Killazach

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron rodgers is god said:
Killazach said:
Is quoting yourself supposed to make us answer your non-existant question? Or are you really just that pleased with your post

no i was editing it and i must of posted it twice lol
Oh hahaha my bad for being an a-hole :lol:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pugger said:
This might be why we (and others) didn't go after Olshansky:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/40870762.html
But like written at the bottom of the article, a contract with focus on incentives would fix that problem. Of course, I don't know if it was offered. But I'm not angry that we didn't signed him. I'm angry that we didn't signed him FOR THAT PRICE.

jaybirdknows

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pacman5252 said:
NormalSizedMidget said:
PackersRS said:
With the right draft and free agents this year and the next, we could very well be a dynasty again...
Bingo.

The draft isn't an exact sience. With a couple wrong drafts we could end up like the Lions

Nope. No chance we will end up like the Lions. Had Sherman stayed, maybe. The cupboard was bare. The bottom half of the roster was not NFL worthy and our cap was in horrible shape. However, The core of this team is strong, the bottom half of the roster is filled with athletes, and we have a QB. The Lions have none of the above.

I think the spending of some teams in free agency is ludicrous. I will take the patient TT approach every single time. With change to the 3-4 this year, I am expecting another transition year. But I do think the talent on this team is off the charts for a team coming off a 6-10 years. Injuries killed us. But i like the change in defensive staff and moving to the 3-4. I don't know how long it takes for a team to thrive in a 3-4. But even if we don't peak in 09, the future is bright!

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
jaybirdknows said:
I think the spending of some teams in free agency is ludicrous. I will take the patient TT approach every single time. With change to the 3-4 this year, I am expecting another transition year. But I do think the talent on this team is off the charts for a team coming off a 6-10 years. Injuries killed us. But i like the change in defensive staff and moving to the 3-4. I don't know how long it takes for a team to thrive in a 3-4. But even if we don't peak in 09, the future is bright!
If we have, as you say, "off the charts" talent, than this upcoming season can't be a "transition" year. The Pack needs to win this year. With the kind of talent on this team, another season like last year's is unacceptable. While some players are overpaid, and i'll give you that, there's value to be had in Free Agency. Olshansky, for example, was signed for mega-cheap. So, I really don't like that we haven't done anything in FA to address the 3-4 transition. It seems irresponsible. It seems like too big a chance to be taking with a team that's very close to being a playoff caliber team. For most people in that front office, this is an important year. Thompson's seat might not be hot yet, but another 6-10 season will make it so. This team is too talented to have that kind of record again, and if it happens again the finger can be pointed at one man who didn't add anyone to address the transition to the new D, and only added one new person for depth in case injuries strike like they did last year.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jaybirdknows said:
Nope. No chance we will end up like the Lions. Had Sherman stayed, maybe. The cupboard was bare. The bottom half of the roster was not NFL worthy and our cap was in horrible shape.

You Sherman bashers invariably omit the troublesome fact that wins were far more frequent during his tenure than this football utopia you think TT has created.

jaybirdknows said:
I think the spending of some teams in free agency is ludicrous. I will take the patient TT approach every single time.

We're in year 5 of the Ted Thompson Experiment. Wolf won the SB in year 5. How patient should Packer Nation have to be while TT tinkers with ZBS & 3-4 defenses? Trying to do more with less?

jaybirdknows said:
With change to the 3-4 this year, I am expecting another transition year. But I do think the talent on this team is off the charts for a team coming off a 6-10 years. Injuries killed us. But i like the change in defensive staff and moving to the 3-4. I don't know how long it takes for a team to thrive in a 3-4. But even if we don't peak in 09, the future is bright!

"Maybe next year" was the mantra of the '70s & '80s teams. Even by Wolf's 4th year in '95, everyone was believing in the team. The air was thick with confidence & determination that something great was forthcoming. I personally felt that '95 team was going to win it all, & that was heading into the season, not after watching them finish 11-5. I'd seen enough in 3 straight 9-7 seasons that the coaching was top-notch & the personnel was in place to make a big leap forward.

There's not much for me to believe in with this current team. Reading your posts gives the impression that a run similar to the mid '90s is imminent. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :(

WoodyG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jess said:
While some players are overpaid, and i'll give you that, there's value to be had in Free Agency. Olshansky, for example, was signed for mega-cheap. So, I really don't like that we haven't done anything in FA to address the 3-4 transition. It seems irresponsible. It seems like too big a chance to be taking with a team that's very close to being a playoff caliber team. For most people in that front office, this is an important year. Thompson's seat might not be hot yet, but another 6-10 season will make it so. This team is too talented to have that kind of record again, and if it happens again the finger can be pointed at one man who didn't add anyone to address the transition to the new D, and only added one new person for depth in case injuries strike like they did last year.

You couldn't be more wrong about Olshansky. - Per MJS:

If you were wondering why the Packers weren't more involved with San Diego Chargers defensive lineman Igor Olshansky, here's why: He got $8 million of guaranteed money from the Dallas Cowboys.

Olshansky received a five-year deal worth $22.5 million. It included a $6 million signing bonus and $2 million more of guaranteed base salary.

The Packers would have had a hard time justifying paying Olshansky $8 million guaranteed when they gave Jenkins $4 million, Nick Barnett $5.1 million and Pickett $2 million.

WoodyG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
There's not much for me to believe in with this current team. Reading your posts gives the impression that a run similar to the mid '90s is imminent. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :(

More of same "sky is falling" posts from those who see nothing but gloom & doom for the future.

Try thinking about the positives for once in your life & you may see a different picture. You 'doom & gloomers' are a sad lot. Make sure you're around during the 2009 season so you can explain how you got it so wrong.

-

pacman5252

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Usually you don't expect a transition year after
1) Two years from going to the NFC championship game
2) When you've had the youngest team in football two years in a row
3) When it is your GM's 4th year

Face it, TT's philosophies aren't that great. Building through the draft is ideal when your team ages. I agree that in 2005 it was right to butcher the team and get young, but you have to build and develop those players, which is something we haven't done. How I see it, we are just going to keep getting younger, and adding inexperienced guys, with potential, that might never be good enough to play and won't provide any answers in the present and waste roster spots.

I honestly think the 3-4 move was just a way to get people off his back. People blame Sanders for what happened, and to an extent they are right. The D was predictable, but it also didn't help that he didn't have the players for his scheme, which is something TT should have seen. The year before we had one of the best D's in the NFL (especially DL). Last year we didn't because, KGB aged, Williams was traded, Jenkins got hurt, our LBS were hurt (Hawk with the hammy and Barnett with the ACL.) I know TT couldn't control injuries, but he could have seen our DL was going to see a drop-off in pressure. Trading Williams and knowing KGB wasn't going to be the same was controlable. KGB and Williams had about 17 sacks between the two in 07 which is huge since Sanders scheme relied on pressure up front, something we didn't have last year with their replacements.

pacman5252

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You couldn't be more wrong about Olshansky. - Per MJS:

If you were wondering why the Packers weren't more involved with San Diego Chargers defensive lineman Igor Olshansky, here's why: He got $8 million of guaranteed money from the Dallas Cowboys.

Olshansky received a five-year deal worth $22.5 million. It included a $6 million signing bonus and $2 million more of guaranteed base salary.

The Packers would have had a hard time justifying paying Olshansky $8 million guaranteed when they gave Jenkins $4 million, Nick Barnett $5.1 million and Pickett $2 million.
[/quote]

So, we can't justify paying a guy 8 million one year (frontloading a contract) and then paying him next to nothing the next 4 years? Teams do that all the time. It is good cap management.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Look at the Patriots who use BOTH the draft and free agency to build. But the free agents they sign are rarely the big name guys but football players that meet their needs. Not being more active in free agency does hurt us when injuries come and we have no backups or plans.
2. TT has consistently traded higher picks for lower picks. Quantity is OK but you need playmakers and we have none. Hawk has mostly been a disappointment and when I have watched him play he is better suited to inside, he could not cover a TE at all last season and in his position he needs to. Jennings is our only playmaker.
3. Our best players are getting old and we have not done much to replace them. Both OT's are over 30 and none of the younger players look more than average at that position. Both our corners are older and slower and we have tried but I don't see any real comers there. Our DL has been a mismash of "potential" the is injured or inconsistent.
In short we are looking at the Packer teams of the late 70's and 80's where we are good enough to get middle round picks but are very average.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WoodyG said:
doughsellz said:

More of same "sky is falling" posts from those who see nothing but gloom & doom for the future.

Try thinking about the positives for once in your life & you may see a different picture. You 'doom & gloomers' are a sad lot. Make sure you're around during the 2009 season so you can explain how you got it so wrong.

Guess I don't have the same gushing positivity like you cheerleaders do. I was a negative Ned who never saw the '07 season materializing like it did & was more than happy to chow some crow.

I'd rather have my doubts & be pleasantly surprised than get crushed because I got lured into the hype of underahcievement.

It's beginning to appear as though that season was the exception & the other 3 (18W & 30L) are the norm.

4 seasons prior to TT, GB averaged 11 wins per season, ('01-'04)

4 seasons with TT, GB averages 8 wins per season, ('05-'08)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
WoodyG said:
doughsellz said:

Guess I don't have the same gushing positivity like you cheerleaders do. I was a negative Ned who never saw the '07 season materializing like it did & was more than happy to chow some crow.

I'd rather have my doubts & be pleasantly surprised than get crushed because I got lured into the hype of underahcievement.

It's beginning to appear as though that season was the exception & the other 3 (18W & 30L) are the norm.

4 seasons prior to TT, GB averaged 11 wins per season, ('01-'04)

4 seasons with TT, GB averages 8 wins per season, ('05-'08)
You forgot to mention Sherman AGAIN. I know, when you talk about the 4 years prior, you're talking about him, but you need to spell his name! The sad thing is i agree that we're rebuilding to much and we lost too much in the TT era, but I support him...

RyanMegaphors

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
1. Look at the Patriots who use BOTH the draft and free agency to build. But the free agents they sign are rarely the big name guys but football players that meet their needs. Not being more active in free agency does hurt us when injuries come and we have no backups or plans.
quote]

The Patriots are only able to do this because everyone wants to play for the Pats. They are one Tom Brady-less season from near perfection. If you want a ring and a sure-fire dominant team, go to New England. It's not just their tactics.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RyanMegaphors said:
paxvogel said:
quote]

The Patriots are only able to do this because everyone wants to play for the Pats. They are one Tom Brady-less season from near perfection. If you want a ring and a sure-fire dominant team, go to New England. It's not just their tactics.
But their roster management tacticts have A LOT to do with their sucess. Their base is from the draft, obvious, but they allways pick surefire guys from FA (like Adalius Thomas), so their rookies can learn from a experienced, competent guy...

Members online

Latest posts