1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for College?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Pat4DaPack, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Pat4DaPack

Pat4DaPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +180
    Im going to be a freshman at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, any suggestions or tips?

2. packers020802

packers020802 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +55
    stay away from Jager

3. Pegger Packer

Pegger Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +114
    Strongly disagree.

4. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Condoms.

Study at least 2 hours a day.

Anything else you won't do anyway. You may not study the 2 hours, but the first one is important.

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    1. figure out your RA asap. Does he care about booze?

2. Sit next to the hottest girl in your class. for some reason most guys are too shy to do this. idiots.

3. Go to all your classes

4. Never take an 8am class. 9 is still pushing it.

5. Get to know the girls on your floor, avoid drama with them. As friends they will come in handy.

6. use ratemyprofessor.com for every class you take.

7. Get to know a couple athletes, my best friend in college set the (still standing) weight room records, no one messed with me.

8. Sneaking in a keg into the dorm isnt hard, its hiding the party thats the problem

9. Dont be so focused on getting into the bars before your 21. Go to the house parties. You can always go to bars when your older, you cant go back to the house parties. Plus my luck with girls was waaaaay better at house parties.

10. Road trips are your friend

11. figure out off campus housing as soon as possible. The best houses get snatched up and freshmen are always left with crap.

12. Get a job at a bar if you can. The perks are great and the pay is great for college. My friend took a pay cut when he left bouncing and became a cop.

13. First two weeks? grab a friend and wander the dorms, girls have their dorms open for a reason and are looking to meet new people.

14. Take classes seriously. Dont be the kid that doesnt last the semester.

15. Make sure you know how to do laundry before you go. Also a good place to pick up girls, the hot high matinence ones have never done their own laundry before.

16. work out. dont gain a ton of weight. Dont be that guy that comes home at break and has an extra chin.

17. Get to know the area. Nothing worse than being **** tanked, dead cell phone, and being completely lost.

18. Dont move in with your best friend. Move in with the kid that you think you mesh with the best as far as living styles.

19. Call home randomly, not just when you need $. That way when you do need $ they give it to you.

20. Visit your prof during office hours, get to know them. It will come in handy at some point. I bonded with the dean of the business school and he saved my *ss more times than I can count.

21. I got arrested my freshman year for something bogus, biggest mistake was just paying the fine and not fighting it in court.

22. Make skittle vodka, you will charm women this way.

23. custom make a beer pong table. you will make many friends.

24. Get on the waiting list for sports tickets the first week.

25. Dont get sucked into a sh*t relationship. If its not working, end it, your in the best years of your life. seriously, dont waste them. Its just down hill after college, depressing but true.

26. Never did the frat thing, but its big at some schools with some people. might want to look into it. Lots of lifelong connections.

27. Dont ever assume a class is easy because of the name. Thats a rookie mistake.

28. Got caught cheating on an exam? DENY DENY DENY. Trust me, they are very afraid of a lawsuit and will not expel you unless you admit to cheating, even though they will tell you differently. A prof of 30 years basically told me a story about 30 kids getting caught cheating and the school promised to go easy if you came forward. The 10 that came forward were expelled and the 20 that didnt graduated about a year later.

6. packers020802

packers020802 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +55
    ......jager

Attached Files:

7. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +1,232
    That list from IVO is quite good. My additions:

1. Go away to college. As far from home as you can muster. The farther, the better. It forces you to become independent- especially when you are far enough away to not be able to pop home for a day or still have mom do your laundry.

2. If you have a girlfriend today, end it. The world is a big place, don't shackle yourself on day one to your current limited high school perspective.

3. Once at college, don't get tied into a long term relationship until 3rd year at the earliest. Explore. I think IVO already said this, but it is important. The guys I know who married their freshman girlfriend are mostly divorced now. Those that bounced around and either met their future wives in the latter part of their collegiate years or shortly after are doing better. I think we change a lot from ages 19 - 23. Women you like at 19 may not be those you like once you fully mature.

4. For each class, assume that the text book you are told to purchase and use is the worst. It probably is. There are usually better text books out there-- spend time in the library reading the 1st chapter of several other books on this subject and buy one (in addition to the required book) that you connect with better. The few extra bucks spent will be worth it.

5. Work out religiously in the gym, running, rowing, or whatever sport you play. I slept better, was able to relieve stress, and looked good for the girls, when I kept this up. It's tough to maintain, but do it.

6. Once you graduate, do whatever it is that you've always wanted to do. Even if you have to borrow money to get it done. I threw a backpack on and toured Europe for a summer. It's the only time in your life that you will likely have a block of time to do these things. Well, at least until your 65.

7. Don't get tattoos. I have a friend who has this huge tattoo of Bill the Cat saying "Aaaack!" on his shoulder and neck. Cool back then, I guess. But today, it is like the Minnesota Vikings... totally irrelevant and just plain embarrassing. He is a big time manager for a company, too. Doesn't fit his image at all, but it's permanent.

8. Get good grades. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there and with the Asian, Indian, and Brazilian world coming online and wanting to better their lives, the pressure is on to be more competitive in any industry that you are heading for.

8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Damn RS for stealing our jobs! jk

9. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    I like Ivo's list! :) Skittle vodka is the way to my heart!

But seriously.

!. You may want to consider waiting a year before declaring your major unless you are absolutely sure what you want.

2. Avoid changing your major too much or you will be there forever.

3. Start to tackle your General Ed requirements as soon as you can (such as Engligh comp I, math and science requirements). At the same time, concentrate on the prerequisites for the core requirements of your major/ concentration.

4. Hit up counseling. A lot of places encourage freshmen to do this anyway. It's never too early to start on a 4 or 5 year plan even if you don't know what your major is going to be.

5. Once you know your major, get on good terms with the dean or head of that department.

6. By the end of your sophomore/ maybe even junior year, start thinking of internships.

7. In terms of dorms, it's luck of the draw with roommates for most places. If you really can't stand your roomie(s), ask to be moved before it becomes a problem that may not be easy to fix.

8. Get to know your RA and security staff in your dorm building.

9. Consider doing work study if your campus has it. It'll give you a part time job on campus.

10. Get friendly with the people in the financial aid office. Bribe them with cookies and coffee and they will never mess up your paper work.

11. Finally for the fun part! Hit up this website and let the mayhem begin!

500 Ways to Annoy Your Roommate

10. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    Sit next to somebody smart

• Like Like x 1
  11. sped2010

sped2010 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    Get involved. It will make the first couple weeks so much easier. Keep your door open if you live in the residence hall (unless you're not there of course). Really push yourself to get out of your comfort zone.

Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. See your professors during their office hours or ask if there is any tutoring available. Your professors want you to do well and there are always services available for additional help.

Stay active. It will help you to not gain the dreaded "Freshmen 15" and keep your stress levels down.

Really get to know what resources are available to you. Financial Aid, Housing, Student Services...

I just graduated from college and if I wasn't doing special education I would be working in student affairs at a university. My college experience changed my life, as cliche as that sounds.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    gotta co sign the get involved thing. I wish I had been in more clubs or groups or watever.

13. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +508
    Tips for College,
    well I suggest he learns how to block before looking for a huge contract.

Wait, you mean like school... don't post everything you do there on facebook. It'll make you cringe in a few years.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,629
    Most everything you heard the "old" people like your parents say is true. Alcohol and food in moderation. Trust your instincts. Pizzas for the floor on your credit card during midterms will likely not get repaid. Figure out who is there only for her Mrs. degree and avoid them. Befriend a few upperclassmen early on if possible. They know the party, class, and bar routines and also more mature females. People from your hometown / area are not the same twerps, dipwads, jerks, buffoons they were in high school if they've been out for a year or so. Nothing is permanent except what you learn and Myspace / Facebook. Upper years, network like crazy for professional contacts; roommates uncle, class jerk's cousin, RA's dad {this is why you don't burn bridges in relationships}.

15. Helmets

Helmets Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +222
    Study like a M'fer. Go to the library evry night if the dorm room is too loud or distrating. Your grades and classes should be your #1 priority. The same people that you are competing with for the higher grades are the same ones that you will compete with for a job. I figured this out my 3rd year in college. I gave this advice to my son - who like me, didn't listen and thought his father was nuts and from the stone age. I called and spoke to him 100's of times while in college, and never once was he studying. Even the night before a big final exam, he would be out with friends or a girlfriend that he wouldn't have 6 months later.

He graduated in December after 4.5 years with marginal grades, and is still looking for a job almost 9 months later...

16. VersusTheMoose

VersusTheMoose Canadian Packer Fan

Ratings:
    +166
    Do your best to find relevant experience to put on a resume while at school. 99% of employers will never ask you to see a transcript, the degree and what you offer is all that matters. Take part in clubs and organizations on campus (go to your Student Union to find out what exactly is offered) and do your best to find internships while on summer break.

My best advice is to do your research and move to a city that is booming after you graduate or you will likely struggle to find good work regardless. My business degree back home in Nova Scotia was just about useless and I had to take jobs I could have got right out of HS.

Something to think about.

17. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    oh and dont run up your credit card. seems simple enough but 1/2 the kids seem to do that.

18. VersusTheMoose

VersusTheMoose Canadian Packer Fan

Ratings:
    +166
    Oh, and social wise make friends with your roommate no matter if you like them or not, one friend will lead into others and you can drop them accordingly. Keep your door open and be friendly, the first week is the most important so play games or whatever else is offered during Frosh Week and you should be fine.

Don't drink more than twice a week, that 3rd drunk night freshman year never goes well. Don't sign up for early classes and try your best to get Fridays off.

'Bout all I can think of.

19. PackPackPackers

PackPackPackers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +41
    "College is what you make it."

That is the best advice I can give you.