Timing of Williams Trade

Fan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jason Taylor was DPOY in 2006. He wants a shot at a SB... and knows it ain't gonna happen in MIA.

Pulling off this trade would be a tremendous coup for TT - equivalent, IMHO, to Wolf signing Reggie White.

Probably too good to be true..

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it said for a fourth alone, I'd say why not. No way that guy has second round value anymore.

Anyone know his injury history?

I know he was DPOY along with being a pro bowler last year, ('06-'07) can anyone tell me if he was in PB this most recent season?

That says 2nd + 4th to me.....

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

I'll go for that!

Bring him in.

Faneca's too good for "visits" this offseason. He is said to be declining all offers for meetings with interested teams, looking only for the highest dollar contract.

Sounds like a guy who's motivated by the payday, and do we really want or need someone like that in GB? I'll pass, thanks.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pulling off this trade would be a tremendous coup for TT - equivalent, IMHO, to Wolf signing Reggie White.

I'll be the first person this year to say it. Or, Joe Johnson.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Fan4Life said:

Packone refer yourself to the banned thread in the Attrium... :lol:

Never mention that name again.. :p

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackOne said:
Fan4Life said:

Packone refer yourself to the banned thread in the Attrium... :lol:

Never mention that name again.. :p

Guess I should hit the Atrium more often. My narcissism is saying yummy.

EDIT: Although, many seem to think the Tuna will take Chris Long DE in this years draft. Then it may make sense.

Fan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jason Taylor is NOTHING like Joe Johnson. He's a bonafide "super star" who, at 34, finds himself on a rebuilding team with a new GM ready to change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense.

Did anyone catch that the 'fins just inked a deal with Calvin Pace? That might be a signal that JT is moving on...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaronstory said:
Maybe it's for this...?

Oh brother.. that is worth at least 6 pages of a new thread.. Taylor to Green Bay.. :shock:

Would be cool.. but aging veteran worth more than a 27 DT with 14 sacks in the past two years from the Tackle slot.. with a hefty salary to boot.

Definately not the TT mo so far..

I'd take Taylor over Corey Williams any day considering the depth the Packers have at DT and the lack of a pass rush to compliment Aaron Kampman.

I to agree it's unlikely. I also doubt that some rumor posted on a blog is true but for the record, I'd give a 2nd for jason Taylor. Just putting it out there. If someone else can then I will too. :D

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, he dropped into coverage in some schemes. i wouldn't think twice about giving up a 3rd rounder for him, if there were lots of offers for him, i wouldn't be mad if ted gave them a round 2 pick

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jason Taylor was cut by Miami, and Signed by Dallas he ain't coming.

As for Faneca, I don't want him. He's too old, and was part of a Steeler O-Line that gave up 47 sacks last year. We can do better in the draft at Guard believe me.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As for Faneca, I don't want him. He's too old, and was part of a Steeler O-Line that gave up 47 sacks last year. We can do better in the draft at Guard believe me.

I believe you are thinking of Thomas.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:

I believe you are thinking of Thomas.

Doh! You're right, I was thinking of Zach Thomas. Good grief what's wrong with me LOL. Thank you for catching that.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You just never know.
Most likely they did the deal now because all three sides reached an agreement. (Keep in mind that Cleveland would not have made the deal if they were not sure that they could get Corey to agree to a long term deal.
If they wait until DRAFT DAY!!!! that would not have left the Browns enough time to work things out with Corey. Plus the fact that Corey not knowing about the potential trade may well have rejected GB's franchise offer.
The sooner tis was done the better it was for everyone. If TT uses his extra cap room to pick up someone else that is just a bonus.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think players can reject the Franchise tag. But certain types of Free Agents can be signed away if they offer a high enough salary + Draft picks.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think players can reject the Franchise tag. But certain types of Free Agents can be signed away if they offer a high enough salary + Draft picks.

compensation for a franchise player is 2 first round picks... has that ever even happened before?

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

compensation for a franchise player is 2 first round picks... has that ever even happened before?

I think that's only if its the Exclusive Franchise tag, like what the Raiders did with their Corner, I don't think Williams got that sort of tag, and I'm betting the trade was initiated by Green Bay, so we lose a bit in that situation. Yes it has happened before can't remember the last time it happened though.

Reaction score
I think the compensation is also 2 first round picks for the non exclusive version of the tag that so many players got this year...

Browns GM Phil Savage mentioned that without doing the trade for their second round pick, the Browns would've had to give up two first round picks to land Williams.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Veretax said:

I think that's only if its the Exclusive Franchise tag, like what the Raiders did with their Corner, I don't think Williams got that sort of tag, and I'm betting the trade was initiated by Green Bay, so we lose a bit in that situation. Yes it has happened before can't remember the last time it happened though.

no, the non-exclusive franchise tag simply means that the player is allowed to "shop himself" to other teams, get an offer sheet, and allow his current team to match it. if the current team does not match it, the other team must give 2 first rounders as compensation.

Exclusive rights franchise players can not shop themselves and cannot sign offer sheets. essentially, the 2 first round picks deal is only for non-exclusive franchise players.

Also, Cleveland's paper reported that Cleveland approached GB about obtaining Corey in a trade. GB did not approach them.

Members online

Latest posts