Time to tone it down

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, mocking Russel Wilson's religious attitudes and talking trash to Kapernik is getting "bush" IMO. Remember last January walking off the field humiliated....and refocus. This is NOT a game, it's your job.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In regard to Matthews, those guys talk trash to each other on the field all the time, both ways. They picked up a nice sound bite from Matthews that made good material for the talking heads, nothing more. Nothing to see there.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. Players trash talking on the field? Who would've thought?

I personally always believe CBs and WRs are always simply talking about how each others week has went, Clay is normally just stretching his arms and Rodgers is just checking to see if he needs a few more sit ups

Seriously how is this a story?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think trash-talking on the field, in the heat of the moment, goes on all the time. We don't hear most of it, but every now and then someone's mic will pick up something and we react to it.

I don't see this as a big deal. Right now, Kaepernick isn't only not Russell Wilson, he's not even Matt Flynn.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
How did Rodgers mock Wilson's religious views.?

Saying God was a packer fan?

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish they'd just **** on the field and let their play do the talking. As for Wilson, I don't think Rodgers was mocking as much as he was saying, how silly the idea is that God cares about football. And it is silly. Yeah, I know we have St. Vince and all that, and I actually enjoy it, but I really don't think God cares about foosball, that's the debil's game anyway.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ties in a bit with my disdain for showboating. My primary beef is that it's not consistent. If a player feels the needs to call attention specifically to himself after making a great and important play (and, it'd be nice if they limited it to those), I'd like to see him run out alone and hang his head after a mistake.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ties in a bit with my disdain for showboating. My primary beef is that it's not consistent. If a player feels the needs to call attention specifically to himself after making a great and important play (and, it'd be nice if they limited it to those), I'd like to see him run out alone and hang his head after a mistake.
The key is backing it up on the field. I have no problem with Mathews as he plays all out.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did hear after the game in his interview with Erin Andrews that Aaron said that he was off on some of his throws too.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Before you post your indignation about something perhaps you should know what you’re talking about. Mondio is right, Rodgers wasn’t mocking Wilson’s religious beliefs, he was responding to Wilson’s statements after the NFCCG, "That's God setting it up, to make it so dramatic, so rewarding, so special…" Rodgers’ statement, “God was a Packers fan tonight” was a mild response. And getting upset with Clay kissing his bicep? The exact same thing Kaepernick did when he was beating the Packers? :rolleyes: BTW Clay made up for any bad feelings Wilson may have by telling Kap 'your no Russell Wilson, bro'. :D

Obviously Wilson can believe whatever he likes. But when he publicly states God wanted the Seahawks to beat the Packers he can't be legitimately upset when that gets thrown back in his face. In fact, I wish a reporter would have asked him (maybe they did and I missed it) if God was setting up the dramatic ending to the Patriot's last Super Bowl win.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Raji was kicking himself after an offsides where the refs bailed him out by calling it on Kap.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct, would like to see more of that. However, even then, it was a pretty hang-dog look mostly for the benefit of his teammates as opposed to very obvious "look at me" after a sack or other splash play. Thanks for reminding me.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone's so PC... I propose after games we gather with the opposing team and hold hands for awhile just to eliminate any bad blood.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another solution might be emphasizing the "professional" in "professional athlete".

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of trash talking. I love being a smart *** that's for sure. I thrive on it, but it's between friends and family and they know it. other than that I try and reserve it for those times that someone really deserves it :) and I think Kaep does. :) That said, i never felt the need to trash talk on a field or during a competition. I never played in the NFL either, but if a grade school, high school, and college athlete can refrain from it, i'm sure a professional can too.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
... In fact, I wish a reporter would have asked him (maybe they did and I missed it) if God was setting up the dramatic ending to the Patriot's last Super Bowl win.

I believe that there was some story about this. IIRC, Wilson stated that God told him after the play to keep his head up and that others will look at how he responds to this adversity (or something like this).

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Trash talking has been a part of football, hockey and other full contact sports.....forever, just the nature of adrenaline, contact, etc. It has never has bothered me and I often watch videos where they have a player mic'd for entertainment value. Our defense has lacked attitude for too long and if it takes Clay to bring a little nasty into GB, I'm all for it. Just as long as they don't start stepping on players after the whistle. :whistling:

I will say what I find the most comical (and annoying) and it happened in yesterdays game several times, is when a team is down by a large margin and a guy from that team gets up after making a tackle and starts show boating. I can't remember the players involved or what game it was in, but a classic moment of this was when a player from the team that had a sizable lead and victory well in hand, tapped on a celebrating players shoulder from the soon to lose the game team, pointed to the score board and smiled.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of along the same lines, I think the NFL and the NCAA took a step back when they started discouraging touchdown celebrations. I mean come on, who didn't enjoy a well planned touchdown celebration?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...002/Top-10-touchdown-celebrations-of-all-time

Me, for one. Spontaneous, and short, fine. The rest of this "watch me crow about something I was getting paid to do" stuff doesn't cut. Count me in as a Barry Sanders "celebration" fan. And yes, I'm old. :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'll agree, trash talking has been around forever, but it hasn't always been around like it is now on the field. Well maybe pro's i never played there. Lots of trash talking happened off the field and then they lined it up on game day and beat the hell out of each other. Lots of guys I knew like to remind someone of what they did to them last time they played and what they were going to do next time. Hardly any said anything on the field other than among their own teammates.

It's just funny to see how attitudes change. Some actually believe you can't beat the **** out of your opponent if you don't like to talk trash? or that if you are playing with adrenaline you can't be expected to keep your emotions in check? and you see a celebration dance after every tackle, well because they're on adrenaline? How come all those other guys could make tackles and line up and do it again?

I don't mind shots fired over the bow during the week, but let your play talk for you on the field. It's not like they guy who's *** I just kicked didn't know I just blew him up in front of everybody and when someone got the best of me, it didn't mean more or less because they had words to say afterwards. Line up and do it again. If I want to watch trash i'll watch WWE

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fans trash talk, players trash talk and even coaches trash talk. It's a part of every sport. The mic just happened to pick up on it yesterday. I honestly can't believe this is even in the media as much as it is. If only we heard half of what the mics don't pick up on...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of trash talking. I love being a smart *** that's for sure. I thrive on it, but it's between friends and family and they know it. other than that I try and reserve it for those times that someone really deserves it :) and I think Kaep does. :) That said, i never felt the need to trash talk on a field or during a competition. I never played in the NFL either, but if a grade school, high school, and college athlete can refrain from it, i'm sure a professional can too.

Smart ***= trash talking imo

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smart ***= trash talking imo
it can be, but in the context of 2 friends having fun with me being a smart *** about myself as much as anything isn't. How do you see it as equal to taking digs at an opponent on the field of play?

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could not disagree more.

The Pack, specifically the D, has been far too passive IMO. This is football not choir practice.

The displaying of "attitude" is a positive development that flows from confidence.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts