Time to draft another RB worth playing.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just by posting this you are saying "We got Lacy" as a successful thing, and I hope he is. But if he is a successful pick and he is coming into year 4, why do you prioritize a high pick for a #2 RB? This means positions like ILB, TE, DT, OLB and OT get bumped back another pick.

BTW, Brandon Jackson, Montee Ball.........(fill in name here) were second round picks and they were busts. Do a history of high pick flops at the RB position. Why would we use a high pick on a position of lower need (we have a young Lacy) and history shows the payback really isn't worth the risk?

First-round running back flops:

http://www.thesportster.com/football/top-15-biggest-running-back-busts-of-all-time/

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not sure how much stock one should put into that link. They have Derrick Henry as a round 4-7 pick? He'll be gone somewhere in round 2 I bet.

Well, Pro Football Focus takes an unique approach to analyzing football. And just because Henry will be drafted earlier doesn´t mean he should have been. If you take a closer look at their take on Henry I understand their point of view.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man if we could draft Henry in round 7 I'd be ecstatic, LOL

D

Deleted member 6794

Man if we could draft Henry in round 7 I'd be ecstatic, LOL

The Packers need a change of pace running back, ideally someone capable of catching the ball. There´s no need to bring in a RB similar to Lacy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers need a change of pace running back, ideally someone capable of catching the ball. There´s no need to bring in a RB similar to Lacy.

Come on Captain.....in the 7th round, you wouldn't take Henry as Lacy insurance? :cautious:

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling had we somehow traded up in last years draft and taken Melvin Gordon, we would not only be talking about what to do this year with the RB position (wait on Lacy/Gordon and see what happens?) but we would also be talking about "what the heck we are going to do at CB?", because Rollins and Randall wouldn't be Packers and "those CB's we picked in the 3rd and 4th round last year" aren't any good.

It's all a trickle down effect. If you use your top draft picks for positions of lesser need....where does that leave you in your positions of greater need?

No doubt we could use another RB or two in camp, but I'm fine with finding one where most teams seem to as of late, later in the draft once more urgent needs are taken care of.
Ok speculation time....

Gordon in the 1st. Rollins in the second.

and draft another CB later, or retain one of the starters we lost
I have one Badger Jersey, its Gordon. I am a HUGE Gordon fan. Loved him as a Badger, can still remember his Freshman year when he single handily tore up Nebraska in the Big10 Championship game and everything he did after. So I was really disappointed when he had a rocky rookie year. But he, Ball and Dayne, all highly rated Badger RB's, continue to prove what a lot of people say, they are a product of the system as well as an excellent offensive line. So as much as I liked Melvin at the college level, I thought it would be a mistake (mainly due to lack of need) for the Packers to draft him last year.
I understand and respect this. Its shocking the RBs sucess at Wis, only to flop in NFL. I thought, and to a certain degree, still think, Gordons speed was a difference from Dayne, Ball, white , and the bigger sort. But he just didnt make it yet...

i couldve sworn we drafted Green from Neb in the nd round. But Wimm is rarely wrong on his facts. but still he is our franchise season record holder. and he was a 2nd rounder...

point i was trying to make is that if you want a special RB... they rarely are not noticed. You plan to give this guy the ball 10+ times a game, every game. 20+ if there is an injury to Lacy... And you want a 7th round Wynn, Lumpkin, fill in the 7th round filler that made it 2 years in the NFL, here...

D

Deleted member 6794

Come on Captain.....in the 7th round, you wouldn't take Henry as Lacy insurance? :cautious:

I don´t see the need but in the seventh round he would most likely be by far the best player available so I would be fine with it. PFF has him rated as a fourth-round pick though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
i couldve sworn we drafted Green from Neb in the nd round. But Wimm is rarely wrong on his facts. but still he is our franchise season record holder. and he was a 2nd rounder...

He was drafted by the Seahawks in the 3rd round (76th).

In 2000, Green was traded along with a fifth round draft pick to the Packers for Fred Vindson and a sixth round pick.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should have another bruiser to help lacy hitch up the cart, and carry the load...

We should also have a change of pace, fast guy too... IMO, until we resign Starks... We need more than a rookie scat back...

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was drafted by the Seahawks in the 3rd round (76th).

In 2000, Green was traded along with a fifth round draft pick to the Packers for Fred Vindson and a sixth round pick.
Dang it. I remember now... Seattle. But I'll be damned if i ever remember him being a 3rd rounder... isnt up for debate though...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ok speculation time....

point i was trying to make is that if you want a special RB... they rarely are not noticed. You plan to give this guy the ball 10+ times a game, every game. 20+ if there is an injury to Lacy... And you want a 7th round Wynn, Lumpkin, fill in the 7th round filler that made it 2 years in the NFL, here...

I totally agree with you Eli, having a special RB is awesome. I just think we disagree as to when you look for one and where you look.

Having 2 of these special RB's is only a luxury if you happen to hit on one with a late pick, but not at the expense of using an early pick to gain your second special back.

D

Deleted member 6794

We should have another bruiser to help lacy hitch up the cart, and carry the load...

We should also have a change of pace, fast guy too... IMO, until we resign Starks... We need more than a rookie scat back...

Ideally the Packers would have three great running backs. But with the team having more pressing needs I would be fine with either re-signing Starks or spend a day 3 pick on the position.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Look at the Seahawks this year. Their Beast Mode goes down and a relatively unknown UDFA comes in and becomes a very good starter. Lucky pick-up of Rawls? Maybe.....but that is the situation you hope for, instead of investing high picks in 2 or 3 RB's.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the Seahawks this year. Their Beast Mode goes down and a relatively unknown UDFA comes in and becomes a very good starter. Lucky pick-up of Rawls? Maybe.....but that is the situation you hope for, instead of investing high picks in 2 or 3 RB's.
Rawls looked good until he hit ir... Big difference from playing great, and playing great for 20 weeks a year...

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? My point was that I seen this weakness coming last year. I see it as an opportunity to put another play maker on the field.... Maybe Gordon didnt explode onto the scene like i (and many others) thought he would. But it doesnt change the fact that we wouldnt be talking about needed a RB right now.... And everyone who gave me chit should realize they were short sighted in this case.

So Why is it that you people all insist on bringing in a cheap, late round, or undrafterd rookie RB, who no other teams care to employ? And who can run the ball fine, instead of very good? I mean this is going to be one of our major play makers as our #2 RB for possibly years to come.... Why such low standards?

I guess that was my point. I don't follow other players too much, but I thought Gordon was next in that long line of outstanding Wisconsin runners who bombed in the NFL. If we wouldn't need someone to replace Lacy/Starks because Gordon showed the ability to perform well below their output, I stand corrected.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that was my point. I don't follow other players too much, but I thought Gordon was next in that long line of outstanding Wisconsin runners who bombed in the NFL. If we wouldn't need someone to replace Lacy/Starks because Gordon showed the ability to perform well below their output, I stand corrected.
I thought i replied to this already???
Gordon had just tied division 1 all time single season yardage and TD record. But the difference between Gordon and all the rest was that Gordon has speed... I predicted that would be much better suited to NFL success...

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who went around erasing my posts about "until we sign Starks" we dont have squat behind Lacy" post? and us needing a RB? WTH.......

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought i replied to this already???
Gordon had just tied division 1 all time single season yardage and TD record. But the difference between Gordon and all the rest was that Gordon has speed... I predicted that would be much better suited to NFL success...

Apparently don't know how to get my point across. Bottom line is that Gordon was a great college player who isn't a great NFL RB and therefore wouldn't have done much for the Pack.

Latest posts