Time to draft another RB worth playing.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Lacy being the only one signed who is worth a start. And even if starks comes back, we need a long term replacement. I took a lot of greif for saying we should draft Melvin Gordon last year if he drops to us... That never happened. Not sure it would have been a good move, with the way gordon played and all.
But I think it might be a little more Obvious this off season...
We need another RB who is worth a crap...

any thoughts?

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the status of Crocket? Did Starks sign elsewhere yet, saw some Pats interest in him.

Pats signed Donald Brown today so I would assume that closes the door on Starks for them. Crocket has 9 career carries, hard to rely on that, showed a little flash though at least. I believe Starks will be back, but am not opposed to finding a true pass catching RB in the draft.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not opposed to it. Generally isn't worth it to draft one high anymore, though. Between their short shelf life in the league, the ability to get a satisfactory one late, and the surprisingly low impact to a team's overall wins, the value just isn't there.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not opposed to it. Generally isn't worth it to draft one high anymore, though. Between their short shelf life in the league, the ability to get a satisfactory one late, and the surprisingly low impact to a team's overall wins, the value just isn't there.

Absolutely agree with this. Should be able to find guys like David Johnson later though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would be fine with the Packers either re-signing Starks to a reasonable contract or spend a day 3 pick on a prospect.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Lacy being the only one signed who is worth a start. And even if starks comes back, we need a long term replacement. I took a lot of greif for saying we should draft Melvin Gordon last year if he drops to us... That never happened. Not sure it would have been a good move, with the way gordon played and all.

any thoughts?

Third round or later. Here's a prospect list:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/nfl-draft-ranking/running-back-rankings/

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

any thoughts?

Probably should have self-edited that part. :)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any athletic RB in the 3rd-Undrafted anymore holds the better value and I fully expect TT to continue to bring someone in each year as he has for the past few seasons.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably should have self-edited that part. :)
Why? My point was that I seen this weakness coming last year. I see it as an opportunity to put another play maker on the field.... Maybe Gordon didnt explode onto the scene like i (and many others) thought he would. But it doesnt change the fact that we wouldnt be talking about needed a RB right now.... And everyone who gave me chit should realize they were short sighted in this case.

So Why is it that you people all insist on bringing in a cheap, late round, or undrafterd rookie RB, who no other teams care to employ? And who can run the ball fine, instead of very good? I mean this is going to be one of our major play makers as our #2 RB for possibly years to come.... Why such low standards?

D

Deleted member 6794

Why? My point was that I seen this weakness coming last year. I see it as an opportunity to put another play maker on the field.... Maybe Gordon didnt explode onto the scene like i (and many others) thought he would. But it doesnt change the fact that we wouldnt be talking about needed a RB right now.... And everyone who gave me chit should realize they were short sighted in this case.

So Why is it that you people all insist on bringing in a cheap, late round, or undrafterd rookie RB, who no other teams care to employ? And who can run the ball fine, instead of very good? I mean this is going to be one of our major play makers as our #2 RB for possibly years to come.... Why such low standards?

The Packers have more pressing needs than a backup running back so there´s no need to spend an early-round pick on the position. In addition it´s possible to find productive RBs later in the draft or even in undrafted free agency. Just take a look at Thomas Rawls, David Johnson, Duke Johnson or Karlos Williams last season as examples.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Please look over the last few years...especially the RB's drafted 3rd round or later.....

...true 1st round RBs are rare anymore given their shelf life and pass centered league. RARE if EVER justified to grab one before the end of the 2nd in my personal opinion. I am a fan of 3rd-5th which seems to be the wheel house of late for RBs.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have a feeling had we somehow traded up in last years draft and taken Melvin Gordon, we would not only be talking about what to do this year with the RB position (wait on Lacy/Gordon and see what happens?) but we would also be talking about "what the heck we are going to do at CB?", because Rollins and Randall wouldn't be Packers and "those CB's we picked in the 3rd and 4th round last year" aren't any good.

It's all a trickle down effect. If you use your top draft picks for positions of lesser need....where does that leave you in your positions of greater need?

No doubt we could use another RB or two in camp, but I'm fine with finding one where most teams seem to as of late, later in the draft once more urgent needs are taken care of.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling had we somehow traded up in last years draft and taken Melvin Gordon, we would not only be talking about what to do this year with the RB position (wait on Lacy/Gordon and see what happens?) but we would also be talking about "what the heck we are going to do at CB?", because Rollins and Randall wouldn't be Packers and "those CB's we picked in the 3rd and 4th round last year" aren't any good.

It's all a trickle down effect. If you use your top draft picks for positions of lesser need....where does that leave you in your positions of greater need?

No doubt we could use another RB or two in camp, but I'm fine with finding one where most teams seem to as of late, later in the draft once more urgent needs are taken care of.

Worth tagging "winner" and quoting, well said and put!

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

nobody ever said trade up... good greif, you guys...

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look. You reap what you sow. We spend a 2nd rounder? we get Ahman Green, and Lacy. We spend a 4th and we get starks, who doesnt peak til he's 28 years old, and Lacy comes in...

Gordon had just matched Barry Sanders historic yardage and single season TD records.... Dont try to under sell him...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look. You reap what you sow. We spend a 2nd rounder? we get Ahman Green, and Lacy. We spend a 4th and we get starks, who doesnt peak til he's 28 years old, and Lacy comes in...

Gordon had just matched Barry Sanders historic yardage and single season TD records.... Dont try to under sell him...

Not underselling him at all...but we go get him and we sacrifice a lot moving forward is all I think me and Poker are illustrating.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers traded for Ahman Green. Starks was a sixth-round pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Just by posting this you are saying "We got Lacy" as a successful thing, and I hope he is. But if he is a successful pick and he is coming into year 4, why do you prioritize a high pick for a #2 RB? This means positions like ILB, TE, DT, OLB and OT get bumped back another pick.

BTW, Brandon Jackson, Montee Ball.........(fill in name here) were second round picks and they were busts. Do a history of high pick flops at the RB position. Why would we use a high pick on a position of lower need (we have a young Lacy) and history shows the payback really isn't worth the risk?

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I have one Badger Jersey, its Gordon. I am a HUGE Gordon fan. Loved him as a Badger, can still remember his Freshman year when he single handily tore up Nebraska in the Big10 Championship game and everything he did after. So I was really disappointed when he had a rocky rookie year. But he, Ball and Dayne, all highly rated Badger RB's, continue to prove what a lot of people say, they are a product of the system as well as an excellent offensive line. So as much as I liked Melvin at the college level, I thought it would be a mistake (mainly due to lack of need) for the Packers to draft him last year.

Last edited:

Latest posts