Time for Bates

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Al Harris and Charles Woodson aren’t even close to being one of the best CB's duos in the league.

I was wondering....since tv cameras do not show those guys unless the play is to their side...How do you know how they play each and every snap then?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Blackjackking said:
Al Harris and Charles Woodson aren’t even close to being one of the best CB's duos in the league.

I was wondering....since tv cameras do not show those guys unless the play is to their side...How do you know how they play each and every snap then?

Said person doesn't know. Harris is gettin rave reviews from top WR and Woodsin is enjoying one his best seasons ever. They are probably in the top 5 easy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Blackjackking said:

Said person doesn't know. Harris is gettin rave reviews from the top WR and Woodsin is enjoying one his best seasons ever. They are probably in the top 5 easy.

yeah I know, wanted him to see how crazy his statement was

Blackjackking

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Blackjackking said:

Said person doesn't know. Harris is gettin rave reviews from top WR and Woodsin is enjoying one his best seasons ever. They are probably in the top 5 easy.

If Harris and Woodson are as good as people say why is Green Bay ranked 28th against the pass?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
longtimefan said:
Blackjackking said:

If Harris and Woodson are as good as people say why is Green Bay ranked 28th against the pass?

You got me. A pass defense is soley based upon the CBs and ONLY the CBs. It has nothing to do with the LB covering WR, or poor play by the Safeties or even poor secondary coaching. Nothing like that.

Blackjackking

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blackjackking said:
Zero2Cool said:
longtimefan said:
Blackjackking said:

You got me. A pass defense is soley based upon the CBs and ONLY the CBs. It has nothing to do with the LB covering WR, or poor play by the Safeties or even poor secondary coaching. Nothing like that.

OK then the entire team is bad against the pass, that makes sense.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Blackjackking said:
Zero2Cool said:
longtimefan said:
Blackjackking said:

If you're gonna question the teams overall lack of solid pass defense, you consider the whole time, not just the bookends.

The Packers are ranked 27th in passing yards on defense. A large part of it is because of the safeties and the zone defense, atleast thats my opinion from what I see.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
longtimefan said:
Blackjackking said:

Black - actually a good question. I go to the bars for most of the games and what I'm seeing is that both Harris and Woodson completely shutdown the guys they're covering, or they occasionally give them a short gain. Big deal.

Now, what's happening is we play a zone defense. When our CBs hand off the guys they're covering to the next guy (usually the Safeties), it all goes to Hell.

To put blame - I'd put it on either the Safeties or the DB coach, or most likely both. I'm seeing wondering performances from Woodson and Harris, but absolutely miserable performances from the rest of the DBs (although both Manuel and Collins are wonderful against the run).

Teams know this, so they put a lot of long passes into their game plans when they play against the Packers. Make sure you read this, then watch a game. You'll see what I mean. The QB waits until the hand off from CB to S, then he fires it up and they get a big play out of it. It's quite painful to watch if you're a Packer fan.

OP
OP
D

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For Blackjack's benefit:

The Packers in 13 games this season have given up 59 passing plays of 20+ yards this season. 47 of more than 20 and 12 of more than 40. That is an exceedingly high number and a key reason why they are ranked as low as they are.

Last season when they were ranked no.1 against the pass they gave up 41 plays of 20+ yards, 35 of more than 20 and only 6 of more than 40.

Nevertheless if you were to match coverage against each of the 59 plays that have gone for more than 20 yards in the 13 games so far, you would find that Woodson and Harris were involved with only a very small number of these plays. The majority of these plays have come against Carroll, Manuel, Collins, Poppinga and Dendy.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I believe that MM has a three yr. contract while TT has at least four yrs. Therefore they may not go together. I look to TT to give MM one more year to show improvement. MM's big chance hangs on his replacing Sanders and Shott. Otherwise, he's toast, IMO.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying I'm the biggest MM supporter yet but I find it interesting that we're ready to hang him while I just heard Jason Taylor saying people are unrealistic getting on Saban in only his second year. Made me think as long as the players are willing to give everything for a coach I can give him at least 2 years

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:packbeer: Man! This thread is crazy!!!
1) Bates is not coming back to GB as either HC or DC so, what you guys gave to decide is who you could get to replace Sanders, et al. Oh! Decisions, decisions, decisions!!! Think Donatell would consider a return?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Blackjackking said:
Zero2Cool said:
longtimefan said:
Blackjackking said:

So........you were basing your opinion on just the ranking of the defense..no actual proff of how they play man to man, how the use their hands in coverage, how they run routes with the wr they are covering..

just the ranking..

got ya :rubeyes:

Blackjackking

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blackjackking said:
Zero2Cool said:
Blackjackking said:
Zero2Cool said:
longtimefan said:
Blackjackking said:

So........you were basing your opinion on just the ranking of the defense..no actual proff of how they play man to man, how the use their hands in coverage, how they run routes with the wr they are covering..

just the ranking..

got ya :rubeyes:

Well based on rankings the Packers defense doesn't do any of the above listed well at all, in fact very poorly.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Well based on rankings the Packers defense doesn't do any of the above listed well at all, in fact very poorly.

I see your point, although, I always felt you shouldn't take the cover of a book as its only source of what is inside.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts