Tightwad Ted: An appeal to ignorance... Focus on Andrew!!!

Reaction score
Now I am not calling any member ignorant. An "appeal to ignorance" is a fallacy that I believe a lot of the individuals who call Ted Thompson "tightwad" use.

It is said that TT is cheap, not one willing to pay up for NFL talent. I'm not gonna argue whether or not that is true here, but I think people's lack of knowledge about Andrew Brandt and his role in contracts often leads people to think of TT as a tightwad.

Andrew Brandt is the cap guy for the Packers, he is the one who negotiates with the agents, offers contracts, and works out the numbers.

Therefore, I think it is reasonable to assume that if any free agent player is targeted by the Packers, Brandt will talk with the agent to get an idea of the salary demands. Even if Brandt doesn't talk with the agent, I think it's fair to assume TT passes on info regarding contract demands of targeted players to Brandt.

I also think TT is too busy with his other GM duties to keep up to date with all the latest financial ongoings in the NFL. Brandt being the one in charge of contracts, I'd think it is logical to assume he would be up to date with what players generally make, what to expect in terms of the value of future contracts, etc.

That leads me to my point: I think too many people under estimate the role Brandt plays in free agency, both unrestricted and restricted.

IMO Brandt will have an idea of what a starter/backup at any given position is making. He'll also have an idea of how much the better players at any given position are making.

When TT and his staff identify a player that they might go after, I think TT goes to Andrew Brandt and asks him to work out an offer that he would deem fair. Then Andrew Brandt discusses the possible role of the player, his age, etc. and figures in all those variables to a final general idea of what would be a decent price to pay for said player.

Then Ted and Andrew, together, discuss what other teams may be interested and how that may drive up the value of the player.

In the end, I think Brandt, and to a lesser extent TT, establish a ballpark figure of the max a player is worth. I think in that regard, Brandt takes the lead and with his knowledge and experience works out a general idea of what fair value to both sides would be.

When TT is said to be too cheap, I think too many people blame the wrong guy.

Now in terms of the disparity between former GM Sherman dishing out big bucks vs TT being more conservative, although both had Brandt working for them:

In reference to former GM Sherman and his free spending, I would have to think he told Brandt to get a deal done by any means necessary, thus overpaying some players. With TT, I think Brandt is told to keep a modest lid on the money figures, so we don't see as many high figures being thrown out there.

I believe Brandt is still the one who decides on a fair price value, and brings that number to Ted and things progress from there.

By my thinking, that makes Andrew Brandt an extremely important piece of the puzzle, and a piece that may have more of an influence than any other person in the front office (besides TT's final decision making) on who the Packers sign and resign.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Now I am not calling any member ignorant. An "appeal to ignorance" is a fallacy that I believe a lot of the individuals who call Ted Thompson "tightwad" use.

It is said that TT is cheap, not one willing to pay up for NFL talent. I'm not gonna argue whether or not that is true here, but I think people's lack of knowledge about Andrew Brandt and his role in contracts often leads people to think of TT as a tightwad.

Andrew Brandt is the cap guy for the Packers, he is the one who negotiates with the agents, offers contracts, and works out the numbers.

Therefore, I think it is reasonable to assume that if any free agent player is targeted by the Packers, Brandt will talk with the agent to get an idea of the salary demands. Even if Brandt doesn't talk with the agent, I think it's fair to assume TT passes on info regarding contract demands of targeted players to Brandt.

I also think TT is too busy with his other GM duties to keep up to date with all the latest financial ongoings in the NFL. Brandt being the one in charge of contracts, I'd think it is logical to assume he would be up to date with what players generally make, what to expect in terms of the value of future contracts, etc.

That leads me to my point: I think too many people under estimate the role Brandt plays in free agency, both unrestricted and restricted.

IMO Brandt will have an idea of what a starter/backup at any given position is making. He'll also have an idea of how much the better players at any given position are making.

When TT and his staff identify a player that they might go after, I think TT goes to Andrew Brandt and asks him to work out an offer that he would deem fair. Then Andrew Brandt discusses the possible role of the player, his age, etc. and figures in all those variables to a final general idea of what would be a decent price to pay for said player.

Then Ted and Andrew, together, discuss what other teams may be interested and how that may drive up the value of the player.

In the end, I think Brandt, and to a lesser extent TT, establish a ballpark figure of the max a player is worth. I think in that regard, Brandt takes the lead and with his knowledge and experience works out a general idea of what fair value to both sides would be.

When TT is said to be too cheap, I think too many people blame the wrong guy.

Now in terms of the disparity between former GM Sherman dishing out big bucks vs TT being more conservative, although both had Brandt working for them:

In reference to former GM Sherman and his free spending, I would have to think he told Brandt to get a deal done by any means necessary, thus overpaying some players. With TT, I think Brandt is told to keep a modest lid on the money figures, so we don't see as many high figures being thrown out there.

I believe Brandt is still the one who decides on a fair price value, and brings that number to Ted and things progress from there.

By my thinking, that makes Andrew Brandt an extremely important piece of the puzzle, and a piece that may have more of an influence than any other person in the front office (besides TT's final decision making) on who the Packers sign and resign.

Ok, I'll take the bait thread.

Here's my take on TT: someone between the date of his hiring and today put his arm around Ted's shoulder and gave him some advice: start acquiring some players to help Brett Favre.

Ted's rep(as per a couple of people in the know)in Seattle was "Tightwad".
He always wanted to draft vs. pay for a vet. He brought the same idea to Green Bay in year one.(caveat: Mike Sherman had run the salary cap near the peak, but there was cap room available but he didn't use it).

Ted wanted to rebirth the Packers via the draft. Nice idea, two problems. His first draft wasn't that great, and Brett Favre wanted to hang around. Contrary to most reports, ol' Ted wanted Brett to go so he could develop Rodgers or another QB. Problem is, Brett stayed.

So the gears got shifted to find some vets to help. Also factoring in was the ridiculously high salary cap. The cap has grown tremendously in the past two years, enabling teams to sign more of their current players and shop for others. So Ted caught a break in the cap, and he took the advice of someone I presume above him: don't destroy the team to rebuild it. You can both rebuild and contend at the same time, ala New England.

Some of the info comes from a person who knows a person inside. I haven't spoken via email to this person in quite sometime, but today's Ted, isn't the same Ted who came to the Packers in terms of viewpoint. His viewpoint has matured and quite frankly, I find myself agreeing with his moves on a fairly consistent basis.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT, MM and Brett himself have indicated that the current Packers regime wanted Favre around and communicated that from day one.

The "TT wants to run Brett out of town" bit is getting old.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
net, don't you think Andrew Brandt also plays an important part in terms of getting players signed?

If so, then why is TT considered cheap when it is Brandt who handles all the negotiations?

Don't get me wrong, I think Brandt is a great cap guy, but if cheapness of offers is the problem then doesn't that fall on Brandt's shoulders since he negotiates or offers the contracts and talks with the player agents?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it is a combination of Ted, Andrew, Mike M that say who is worthy of getting a contract..

I have said it on more then one occasion that Andrew is the one that is in the meetings and gets the guys signed..I know when I 1st learned of Andrew having a HUGE role is when A Rodgers was in talks trying to get signed..Ted was quoted as saying Andrew and the agent were working their butts off trying to get a deal done..

However, Ted does, or should have the final say on the contracts..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Tightwad Ted: An appeal to ignorance... Focus on Andrew!

Here's my take on TT: someone between the date of his hiring and today put his arm around Ted's shoulder and gave him some advice: start acquiring some players to help Brett Favre.

Ted's rep(as per a couple of people in the know)in Seattle was "Tightwad".
He always wanted to draft vs. pay for a vet. He brought the same idea to Green Bay in year one.(caveat: Mike Sherman had run the salary cap near the peak, but there was cap room available but he didn't use it).

Ted wanted to rebirth the Packers via the draft. Nice idea, two problems. His first draft wasn't that great, and Brett Favre wanted to hang around. Contrary to most reports, ol' Ted wanted Brett to go so he could develop Rodgers or another QB. Problem is, Brett stayed.

So the gears got shifted to find some vets to help. Also factoring in was the ridiculously high salary cap. The cap has grown tremendously in the past two years, enabling teams to sign more of their current players and shop for others. So Ted caught a break in the cap, and he took the advice of someone I presume above him: don't destroy the team to rebuild it. You can both rebuild and contend at the same time, ala New England.

Some of the info comes from a person who knows a person inside. I haven't spoken via email to this person in quite sometime, but today's Ted, isn't the same Ted who came to the Packers in terms of viewpoint. His viewpoint has matured and quite frankly, I find myself agreeing with his moves on a fairly consistent basis.

Net~~
I know you have stated that your inside source has said that Ted didnt want Brett around and that he had a **** agreement with Bates, then Bates called Brett and it ticked off Ted so thats why he pulled the deal away..

But I also know someone inside, and I approached him with your claims..And he told me it wasnt likely, in fact his 1st words were that was one of the funniest things he ever heard...

So while either one of those can't really be proven, we have to make up our own minds..

The only thing that people can go on in thinking Ted wanted Brett gone is he hasnt gone gang busters to get surrounding VET talent..But theres one flaw with "tightwad" and not wanting Brett back..

He always wanted to draft vs. pay for a vet. He brought the same idea to Green Bay in year one

If he has not changed his style to much from Seattle to here, how can people claim he wanted Brett out by not going after vets to surround Brett with?? Also with that statement you made, your sort of admitting Ted was a major COG in making them a SB team..

If Ted would have wanted him gone he would have found a way...

** edited the word COG**

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Also with that statement you made, your sort of admitting Ted was a major clog in making them a SB team..

I think you mean cog. hahaha. those little editing errors bite you in the *** sometimes!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh, and i don't think ted is tight either. he payed big for a few select free agents last year. jenkins' contract is not conservative. and yes, i believe that a guy like brandt is necessary. i can't imagine an NFL GM succeeding if he micromanaged. that's just way too many balls in the air.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

bozz_2006 said:
Also with that statement you made, your sort of admitting Ted was a major clog in making them a SB team..

I think you mean cog. hahaha. those little editing errors bite you in the *** sometimes!

LOL!

you are correct meant to say COG..Thanks!

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
oh, and i don't think ted is tight either. he payed big for a few select free agents last year. jenkins' contract is not conservative. and yes, i believe that a guy like brandt is necessary. i can't imagine an NFL GM succeeding if he micromanaged. that's just way too many balls in the air.

Ted Is a tightwad....Open ur eyes!!!

Praise to all TT bashers I unite with ur common cause

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT, MM and Brett himself have indicated that the current Packers regime wanted Favre around and communicated that from day one.

And you believe everything they say?

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net, don't you think Andrew Brandt also plays an important part in terms of getting players signed?

If so, then why is TT considered cheap when it is Brandt who handles all the negotiations?

Don't get me wrong, I think Brandt is a great cap guy, but if cheapness of offers is the problem then doesn't that fall on Brandt's shoulders since he negotiates or offers the contracts and talks with the player agents?

Who signs Brandt's paycheck?

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Odd, but I thought I was agreeing with the general premis that Ted is doing Ok now.

Please note that anyone can mouth the company line. The complete truth is never the company line.

I merely told you something from a person who told me they talked to someone "in the know". You can take it or leave it at that point...

as we can take or leave anyone else's inside info.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Who signs Brandt's paycheck?

Isnt it possible that Ted tells Andrew this..They want certain player X..Ted says the limit is 25 million for 5 years ( JUST A NUMBER I AM TOSSING OUT)

Andrew and agent talk and agent says 5 years 20 million..But at last second Andrew says no to that...And Ted agrees, I think that is what AADP is sort of saying...While Ted has final say he might really listen to the advice Andrew gives him..

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Interesting argument and fun fodder for the offseason, but irrelevant nonetheless.

During last offseason, Brandt was quoted as saying that GB could have signed Wahle during TT's first year. It would have required reworking some contracts and not making some other moves, but it could have been done. It was TT's decision not to make the move.

Basically I'm rather confident that Brandt provides the information for TT about the cost of certain players. From there TT decides what to do. If it's negotiate a contract, I think that TT sets a limit for Brandt and he goes from there.

Brandt's role was the same with Sherman, but Sherman's decisions on how to spend the money was obviously different.

With these reasonable assumptions on Brandt's role, I believe it's completely accurate to claim that TT is the tightwad, not Brandt. Thusfar no one has produced any evidence to the refute that Brandt's role is exactly what I just stated. On the flip side, Brandt himself stated that TT makes the decisions on who to go after.

GO PACK GO!!!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

digsthepack said:

Who is your source and why do you believe him?

Also if you don't want to give names to the public then pm me. I have a source too and everything you've said does not match with what I've heard.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

net said:
digsthepack said:

Who is your source and why do you believe him?
I have a source too and everything you've said does not match with what I've heard.

That is how I feel as well..

My source knew of Rodgers breaking his foot the day of the game, ( I seem to recall posting that, and someone asked for a link), along with players that were going to be signed even b4 the public knew the team was looking at those players..

I dont doubt Net's source is saying these things, rather I am doubting that the source might be stretching the truth alot

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I have said before the whole TT is a tightwad thing is a joke as far as I am concerned.

It all started with the Wahle thing. I have heard the part where Brandt said it "could have been done". Next question. Would it have been worth it?

Your talking about cutting guys and signing lesser players to lesser contracts, and, or, reworking older players contracts ultimately paying them more in later years. Signing off to the devil is what it really is.

Were we really deep enough to even think about it? I can't remember a backup player that didn't make me shutter when they went in in '05. Hell, a lot of starters made me shutter.

Panning off and worring about money later when you KNOW for a fact there will be players you won't want to lose that could be gone because mortgaged contracts leave the well dry.

Could it be that TT saw an "0" line getting old fast and rather than finance the farm for the umpteenth time because I gotta tell you I'm just fine with Flanny and Wahle and Rivera being gone.

It won't be long and they'll be looking for replacements for the last two that came on board on what was at one time a great line. The tackles.

Turnover. It's a reality but something MS couldn't grasp.

He would have made a great Mortician. He would have kept playing the same guys until they died.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

This is a REALLY good article found on Interview with andrew

By Dave Lubach
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

Twenty seconds into the interview, the phone rings. Andrew Brandt, the Green Bay Packers’ vice president of player finance/general counsel, politely excuses himself to take the call.

Brandt is a popular man these days. The NFL is one week into its free-agent period, and deals are being announced frequently.

While the Packers haven’t been all that active, re-signing only defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins just before free agency began last week, this remains a busy time.

Brandt, 46, took time between phone calls on Wednesday to address a gathering for Lakeland College’s sixth annual Charlotte and Walter Kohler Distinguished Business Lecture.

Brandt is in his eighth year in Green Bay and his fifth in his current role as the Packers’ manager of the salary cap.

Before addressing the group at Lakeland, Brandt spent a few minutes discussing free agency and other topics involving the Packers.

Are you surprised at the money that’s been spent so far in free agency?

Brandt: I’m not surprised at it, because there continues to be a fascination with signing the first day or first few days of free agency, making a big splash. That’s existed probably since the start of free agency years ago. In that way, it hasn’t changed. There continues to be a fascination with the hunt and kill of a big-name free agent. Is it surprising the amount of money spent? In some ways, yes, but in other ways, it’s expected, because when certain players are pursued by several teams, that’s the mother lode for the player.

With Ahman Green signing with the Houston Texans, were you surprised at the money he received, and how does that change your situation at running back down the road with free agency and the draft?

Brandt: That’s better answered by (General Manager) Ted Thompson, but we were in constant communication with Ahman before and during once free agency started. We were well aware what he was doing to the point of decision-making, which happened on Sunday, in the middle of my son’s 10th birthday party.

With the Packers’ success late last year, and the money available under the cap, do you stray from the approach of building through the draft and try to win now, or stay the course?

Brandt: You don’t get hung up on labels as to what philosophy you’re in. You do what’s best for the team. It sounds cliched, but it’s all about the greater good. The good includes the best product for the present and future, it doesn’t necessarily mean playing for the present or future. In my opinion, you can try to do both at the same time. We’ve seen examples of clubs that have quote, unquote “gone for it” and at the end of the year they haven’t quote, unquote “made it” and they have a mess to clean up. And that’s certainly not a way we want to end up.

One of the things the Packers have mostly done the last 15 years is stay competitive with the changing of rosters. Is the key to staying successful being fiscally responsible?

Brandt: A lot is made of cap room, and how much cap room there is. It’s really a fluid figure. There have been points in my career where we’ve had very little cap room, but made very big signings at the same time. When we signed (defensive end) Joe Johnson, who was one of our biggest free-agent signings, we were very much against the cap. It’s really business decisions more than cap room. It’s my responsibility to make the cap work and it was working then and now and hopefully it always works.

Can fans expect that $20 million or so available under the cap to be used?

Brandt: I think what people don’t realize is that the cap room doesn’t go away after the first couple weeks of March. Your cap room has to last from March 1 to Dec. 31. Last year, we used every penny of it and every year I’ve been here, we’ve used every penny of it. We’ve never left a dime of cap room on the table, and we don’t intend to do it again. That won’t be an issue.

Is it tough to sit on your wallet when everyone’s throwing money around?

Brandt: You have to trust your plan. And again, last year at this time, we were doing what you call sitting on your wallet, and two days before the draft, we made a huge signing with Charles Woodson at the end of April, and we’re in the first week of March. So there’s a lot of time left.

Fans hear speculation about a Randy Moss trade and other rumors. When you hear things like that, what goes through your mind? When you try to make a trade like that, what things do you have to discuss?

Brandt: I can’t talk about any specific trades or players, but obviously when we get involved with a potential player or a potential transaction or acquisition, with Ted Thompson, we go over the plan. I provide my insight about the cap and the future. But the key in any organization is getting everyone on the same page - administration, coaching, personnel, cap management, etc.

When you have a player like William Henderson get released, who has been with the team so long and has given so much, how hard is it to separate friendship and business?

Brandt: It’s tough. These are friends. They understand we have a job to do, but there’s a personal aspect to it, too. You have to keep it separate, especially in my position when you’re dealing with negotiations. You get to know these players a long, long time. William was one of the few players that was here when I got here eight years ago. One of the first things I did when I got here was William’s contract.

tabojc03

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very good article, and it restates alot of what Brandt says on the radio whenever he is interviewed.....The funny thing about arguing about sources are, "Sources are like A** holes, everyone has one." I don't know who lives in Green Bay or not, but I could go to the local gas station and the kid behind the counter has an inside source or knows someone who has a source. I'm just surprised all these sources people have that are reliable yet the local and national columnists who have been doing their job for years upon years don't know these sources. That's why rumors are rumors not fact so don't argue and say but my source said this and your source is wrong because 90% posted never happened in the first place, so if someone believes in the source fine its their opinion to believe that source. The same way I'm stating my opinion right now.

Members online

Latest posts