Tightwad or Prudent?

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Drill: Hall of Famers? Maybe their agents
Posted: March 14, 2007
After Leonard Davis received $50 million to play on the right side of the Dallas Cowboys offensive line - having already proved he can't play on the left side - one had to wonder if owner Jerry Jones was paying homage to the armed service bureaucrats who pay similar prices for hammers and wrenches.

Having lots of money to spend doesn't justify the price. But NFL owners apparently didn't get that memo, because many a fool was soon parted with his money as the free agency period opened.

The following is a subjective list of the five worst signings to date:

1. Davis, OT, Dallas Cowboys

There's a reason the Arizona Cardinals, despite having constant offensive line problems, let Davis go. But Jones overlooked the eight sacks Davis gave up last year and paid him $18.75 million in guaranteed money.

2. Derrick Dockery, G, Buffalo Bills

OK, Dockery isn't a stiff, but paying him the same money Minnesota paid Steve Hutchinson the year before (seven years, $49 million) . . . Pro Bowls at the time they signed: Hutchinson, 3; Dockery, 0.

3. Bobby Wade, WR, Minnesota Vikings

The Chicago Bears thought so much of Wade that they cut him after the 2004 season and Tennessee got two mediocre years out of him. The Titans were offering about $1 million, but Minnesota gave him $9 million over three years, including $4 million to sign.

4. Kevin Carter, DE, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Most teams wanted him as a backup, but Tampa Bay managed to outbid itself by giving him $5 million this year, including $2 million in bonuses.

5. Dewayne White, DE, Detroit Lions

GM Matt Millen traded a perfectly good pass rusher (James Hall) to St. Louis for a fifth-round pick and then signed White to a five-year, $29 million deal that includes $12 million in bonuses. Never mind that White, mostly a backup four years in Tampa Bay, had two sacks in the eight games he started last year.

- Tom Silverstein

I post this simply to point out that maybe, just maybe, TT has been more prudent than tightwad as he is so often referred to on this forum.

Another comment I read recently is from Brandt the money guy behind all the negotiations. He stated that GB has ALLWAYS used every penny of GB's salary cap every year. He cautioned the interviewer that the year is brand new. money is always kept to sign draft picks, replacements for injuries, and if money is left over, to lock in long term deals.

While we feel we know the Packers needs and feel we can accurately judge talent, maybe what the braintrust on Lambardi Ave. feels is important for the team is different than us.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I post this simply to point out that maybe, just maybe, TT has been more prudent than tightwad as he is so often referred to on this forum.

I think its relative, compared to what the Vikes have done TT looks like a genius and has certainly been prudent, compared to the Pats he looks like a rookie and has been a tightwad.

Reaction score
I agree with you dxb, but the Pats are much more closer to winning a Superbowl than the Packers. They just needed minor upgrades, and one big one like Thomas.

The only problem I have with people saying Ted is tightwad is that I look at the list of early FA signings, and I don't see ANYONE that would have helped the Packers. Only two people I can think of were Griffith and McMichael, and I have yet to hear a report that TT (while he did contact their agents) he went after those players hard.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I agree with you dxb, but the Pats are much more closer to winning a Superbowl than the Packers. They just needed minor upgrades, and one big one like Thomas.

The only problem I have with people saying Ted is tightwad is that I look at the list of early FA signings, and I don't see ANYONE that would have helped the Packers. Only two people I can think of were Griffith and McMichael

Was Deion Grant available?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the guy is prudent in my view. He's not just blowing money because we have it.
Unforseen things can happen, and if you don't have any money left to cover them, you are screwed.

Members online

Latest posts