Tight end confident he can help Packers

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tight end confident he can help Packers
By ROB REISCHEL
Special to the Journal Sentinel
Posted: Feb. 22, 2007
Indianapolis - Zach Miller, a standout tight end from Arizona State, listed team after team Thursday that he thought needed help at his position. When Miller finished, he had carelessly forgotten to name the Green Bay Packers.

"Oh yeah, that's right," said Miller, who interviewed with Green Bay Wednesday night at the NFL combine. "I forgot about them. They definitely need a tight end."

They sure do.

Bubba Franks, David Martin and Donald Lee were as pedestrian as a group of tight ends could be in 2006. The Green Bay trio combined for a paltry 58 receptions, 580 yards and two touchdowns.

So logic suggests the Packers will address the position relatively early in the National Football League draft on April 28 and 29. The problem is, the 2007 crop of tight ends isn't wowing anybody.

There are no freakish athletes such as Kellen Winslow Jr., Ben Watson or Vernon Davis. The senior class is fantastically weak. Even the depth of the group is suspect, at best.

"There's been stronger groups of tight ends coming out in the past," said Rick Spielman, Minnesota's vice president of player personnel.

"It's not as good as it's been," New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said. "There's some value down the line, though."

Miller and Greg Olsen of Miami - a pair of juniors - are considered the cream of the crop. But both appear to be fringe first-rounders and would probably be a reach for Green Bay to choose with the 16th overall pick.

Overall, it would be a surprise if more than four tight ends were taken on Day 1, when the first three rounds are conducted. Over the last 10 years, an average of 5.1 tight ends per season were chosen on Day 1. And the last time there wasn't a tight end taken in the first round was 1999.

"I still think it will work itself out to be a pretty solid group," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said. "I don't know that you have anybody quite in the same category as the kid last year (Davis). But it's a group that will be a pretty good group."

Thompson is certainly hoping so, because the Packers sure could use some new talent. Franks appears finished, and Martin is a free agent. Lee agreed to terms last week but is coming off a year in which he had just 10 receptions.

So Thompson almost certainly has to replenish the position and either Miller or Olsen would be a good place to start.

Miller, nicknamed "The Truth," has drawn comparisons to Baltimore's Todd Heap, another former Arizona State player. Miller averaged 48 catches, 504 yards and 4.7 touchdowns per season during his three years at Arizona State and broke Heap's record for receptions by a tight end.

Miller (6 feet 4 inches, 256 pounds) is also one of the better blockers among the group. Where he'll be selected could ultimately be determined by his time in the 40-yard dash.

"I think my best attribute is my blocking," Miller said. "They are always looking for the complete tight end; they always stress the complete tight end. It's hard to find a guy who can block and run well, and you have to be able to do both."

Olsen (6-6, 258) is probably the best pass catcher in the group. But most scouts have been turned off by his blocking.

"I think it's something I'm adequate at," Olsen said. "But something I can improve on as I get stronger and work on my technique and focus on improving that aspect of my game."

Minnesota's Matt Spaeth (6-7, 270), who won the Mackey Award, is recovering from torn ligaments in his right shoulder and likely won't go before Round 3. Iowa's Jeff Chandler (6-7, 270) might also sneak into the third round, as could Georgia's Martrez Miller (6-4, 252).

"There's some guys in that third, fourth, mid-round range that are going to play in this league," Spielman said. "It's just a matter of going through and finding that guy that's going to do that."

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather try and make a move on Graham. I'm not overly impressed with the TE group this year.
Miller looks to be the only guy that can both run routes and block.

We've already got guys that can do one or the other.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need at least two new TE's. Daniel Graham would be my choice in free agency and I'd like to see Green Bay grab one on Draft Day. If Miller or Olsen fall to Green Bay in round 2 then I think you have to take em regardless of whether or not you signed Graham.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People need to stop lobbying for miller....He could be good, but we have other needs.....TE is not as big of a concern as other positions...We could always pick up a FA TE.......

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sign a solid free agent TE in dan graham, get one position off of the seemingly endless "needs" list before draft, because i think the draft class this year is deep, however not much at tight end

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course Miller could help us at TE....so would my Grandmother if she were still alive. We have 4 of the worst in the league, IMO. We must go FA for TE because the draft doesn't have a top-flight TE, i.e. a mid-first rounder. The best of the group will be gone before we pick in the 2nd. I see TT making a move for Graham.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I agree he could be a good TE, but why waste a pick....TE are usually not game changers and there are alot of decent TE's available...Plus he's not even the best TE in the draft, Grag Olsen is !!!!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have seen just how important TE's can be. Their lack of a good one cost them dearly the last 2 seasons.
Look at the 2 SB years. Chumura and Jackson were HUGE in the offense. The Packers NEED to get at least 2 guys that can do the job. Graham would be a great start to rebuild that position,
I think some people don't see that position as not being game changers, because for the most part it's not a glamour position. But they block AND catch, which can be huge to keep drives going.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have seen just how important TE's can be. Their lack of a good one cost them dearly the last 2 seasons.
Look at the 2 SB years. Chumura and Jackson were HUGE in the offense. The Packers NEED to get at least 2 guys that can do the job. Graham would be a great start to rebuild that position,
I think some people don't see that position as not being game changers, because for the most part it's not a glamour position. But they block AND catch, which can be huge to keep drives going.

It has not cost them as bad as other factors have.....The lack of a running game, as well as the lack of a secondary is what has cost them....U cant hang seasons on TE's!!!! Point is grab a FA they are better than the ones we have, but that is not our primary concern!!!!!!!

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Graham get the franchise tag with the Patriots???

no, the Pats used it on Asaunte Samuel.

Miller's stock has really dropped here as of late. He ran like a 4.85 40. While Greg Olsen ran a 4.4 40. Both, however, would be great additions to the Pack. I think Martin and Franks have already peaked and won't get any better. Olsen and Miller both have high ceiling potentials.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerfan1245 said:
Didn't Graham get the franchise tag with the Patriots???

no, the Pats used it on Asaunte Samuel.

Miller's stock has really dropped here as of late. He ran like a 4.85 40. While Greg Olsen ran a 4.4 40. Both, however, would be great additions to the Pack. I think Martin and Franks have already peaked and won't get any better. Olsen and Miller both have high ceiling potentials.

I think Miller is still the #2 TE in the Draft. Only Olsen really separated himself from the pack. However Miller didn't impress that much at the combine so it's realistically possible that Green Bay could have him sitting there in round 2. I believe even if we sign a TE in free agency (hopefully Daniel Graham) we still need to find a #2 TE and Miller would be a good choice in my opinion.

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well i'm lobbying for zack miller but hopefully in the 2nd round.

I went to the same high school as Zack and was in the same graduating class as his brother Brent (just 1 year ahead of Zack) who also played for ASU......Zack's would fit in well with the environment, he's a very smart kid that doesn't get into trouble and has a great attitude.

I knew his brother more than I knew him but both of them were good students and athletes

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well i'm lobbying for zack miller but hopefully in the 2nd round.

I went to the same high school as Zack and was in the same graduating class as his brother Brent (just 1 year ahead of Zack) who also played for ASU......Zack's would fit in well with the environment, he's a very smart kid that doesn't get into trouble and has a great attitude.

I knew his brother more than I knew him but both of them were good students and athletes

He's still no Greg Olsen!!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

It has not cost them as bad as other factors have.....The lack of a running game, as well as the lack of a secondary is what has cost them....U cant hang seasons on TE's!!!! Point is grab a FA they are better than the ones we have, but that is not our primary concern!!!!!!!
Had they had a decent TE, maybe that would have greatly improved the running game. TE's are essential in the blocking scheme for the RB's. When the other team knows you don't have a realistic threat there, they can key on your other areas, (RB and WR) and pretty much ignore the TE.
That takes away from the things you can do on the field offensively. Like i said, just look at the SB 31 and 32 years. The TE's took ALOT of pressure off the running game AND passing game. The Packers were a threat at ALL offensive positions.
Or for that matter, look at just a few years back, when Bubba Franks was at his peak. Remember how many red zone TD's Bubba had? Then look at how awful the Packers were in the red zone the last couple years. Coincidence? I think not.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I got this from SI this morning:
Zach Miller/TE/Arizona: On the heels of Greg Olson's great workout, things could not have gone worse for Miller. After two terribly slow 40s, which timed in 4.78 and 4.86 seconds, Miller was equally as bad during drills. The usually sure-handed tight end dropped a bunch of passes and ran terrible routes.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
refpacker said:
cheesey said:

Had they had a decent TE, maybe that would have greatly improved the running game. TE's are essential in the blocking scheme for the RB's. When the other team knows you don't have a realistic threat there, they can key on your other areas, (RB and WR) and pretty much ignore the TE.
That takes away from the things you can do on the field offensively. Like i said, just look at the SB 31 and 32 years. The TE's took ALOT of pressure off the running game AND passing game. The Packers were a threat at ALL offensive positions.
Or for that matter, look at just a few years back, when Bubba Franks was at his peak. Remember how many red zone TD's Bubba had? Then look at how awful the Packers were in the red zone the last couple years. Coincidence? I think not.

Im not disagreein with you!!!!!! I agree the packers do need help at TE....Im saying that they should address the issue in FA, or not until late in the draft.....I dont think either of their TE's are worth a flip, but I dont feel the need to panic on the situation...Maybe u havent noticed but we need help in alot of ares, and TE is not the biggest concern, a perfectly good TE could be found in FA!!!!!!!!!!!!

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zach Miller/TE/Arizona: On the heels of Greg Olson's great workout, things could not have gone worse for Miller. After two terribly slow 40s, which timed in 4.78 and 4.86 seconds, Miller was equally as bad during drills. The usually sure-handed tight end dropped a bunch of passes and ran terrible routes.

Exactly my point!!!! he is no Olsen.. IF you watched Olsen in the Senior Skills Challenge on ESPN, you would have seen that he had better drill times and hands than almost all the WR and RB's there....Olsen is a beast!!

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hammer said:

Exactly my point!!!! he is no Olsen.. IF you watched Olsen in the Senior Skills Challenge on ESPN, you would have seen that he had better drill times and hands than almost all the WR and RB's there....Olsen is a beast!!

Unfortunately Olsen has character issues, its a classic Drafters choice really, do u go with the superior athelete or the character guy.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This from Don Banks on SI, about Olsen:
Considered by many scouts as one of the most overrated prospects in this draft, Olson is a solid player living on the reputation of his predecessors from the "U." He'll need fast times in the 40 and a good pass-catching workout to secure a spot in Round One.
Guess he answered those questions vehemently at the combine.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do nt like taking a TE in round 1, although it can be justified if picking around 20-32(unless you have a talent like Davis, Gonzales, etc.).

They do need to address this position and I would have no problem with Miller in Rd2 and possibly look to FA as well.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
refpacker said:
Hammer said:

Unfortunately Olsen has character issues, its a classic Drafters choice really, do u go with the superior athelete or the character guy.

How do u know what kind of character he has....During the challenge, Herbstreit said olsen was a stand up guy, and a leader.....U have no input !!! U dont know millers character either..... U act like u know these people first hand, take a hike!

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do nt like taking a TE in round 1, although it can be justified if picking around 20-32(unless you have a talent like Davis, Gonzales, etc.).

They do need to address this position and I would have no problem with Miller in Rd2 and possibly look to FA as well.

I agree I dont like taking a TE in round 1 either...I say wait until round 3 or later...We could always get a FA!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts