[TIDBIT] Zone Blocking

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
8. Alex Gibbs: He changed the way modern offensive lines block for the running game. Gibbs wasn't interested in 350-pound offensive linemen. He wanted 290-pound athletes and he couldn't care what round they were discovered in. In fact, a free-agent tight end willing to change positions was even more his kind of guy than a first-round offensive lineman. His style has to be considered more aggressive than most, and the way he teaches his players to get backside defenders on the ground has been the basis for the great Broncos running games no matter which running back they had in the backfield. He went to Atlanta, and overnight the Falcons became a leading rushing offense in the NFL. Gibbs proved you can still run the ball in the NFL when you want to, as long as you have the aggressive athletes he likes to coach.

Just thought I'd share this with you all. Notice he went to Atlanta and overnight they became the leading rushing offense in the NFL. He's the founder of the Zone Blocking scheme which you all know we just adopted with Jeff Jagzonskinsioatioaiptioaski.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is interesting...

We have 2 new coaches who studied under Bates and Gibbs...

Just hope they were fast learners and can teach just as well

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Popcynical said:
Yeah.. let's just remember that Jags isn't Gibbs.

Your right let's not get in over our head. Also remember Holmgrem wasn't Walsh. Everyone starts somwhere.

This zone scheme is going to take time to learn and get use to. Line will get better as the year goes on. Week 1 against the best front 4 in football worries me though.

IndiPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully the zone blocking scheme will be effective enough early on, at least, to take some of the pressure off Favre.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, it should also be noted that Atlanta's OL's have had one of the best rushing QB's of modern times behind them. That's something I don't see on the Packer's roster at this time.

As to the zone blocking scheme, while I'm optimistic on one hand that it can help turn this team around in the next year or two, on the other hand I can't help but realize that the production of any unit is a blend of talent and coaching.

Just a couple of years ago we were supposed to have one of the best coaches and OLs in the NFL. Without a couple of key players the coach only lasted a year and the line dropped to near the bottom of the NFL rankings. Hopefully the talent is now there and they can make a similar improvement.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Lare said:
To be fair, it should also be noted that Atlanta's OL's have had one of the best rushing QB's of modern times behind them.
Randall Cunningham never played for the Falcons and he's retired.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Lare said:
To be fair, it should also be noted that Atlanta's OL's have had one of the best rushing QB's of modern times behind them.

To be fair Z2C, Lare did say "one of the best", not "the best".

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
Zero2Cool said:
Lare said:

I really have to stop rushing through posts when I'm replying. It's really making me look like a turd lol.

I'll agree, Vick is one of the best. I jus don't think he's one of the best.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Bobby Roberts said:
Zero2Cool said:
Lare said:

I really have to stop rushing through posts when I'm replying. It's really making me look like a turd lol.

I'll agree, Vick is one of the best. I jus don't think he's one of the best.
Z can you please clarify your last sentence? Ron Mexico is probably the best scrambling quarterback ever, and it wouldn't surprise me if he holds the rushing record for quarterbacks. Wait a minute, aren't quarterbacks paid to throw the football?

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
Z can you please clarify your last sentence? Ron Mexico is probably the best scrambling quarterback ever, and it wouldn't surprise me if he holds the rushing record for quarterbacks. Wait a minute, aren't quarterbacks paid to throw the football?

I've seen Vick run and I've seen Cunningham run. Vick has unbelievable speed, but I don't think is a good running QB. He is gifted yes, one of the best, yes. Just not THE best.

Members online

Latest posts