Thursday Packers Update: Bulaga Improving

Travis Duncan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Update McCarthy confirmed Bulaga will play Sunday

Head coach Mike McCarthy said right tackle Bryan Bulaga, who has missed the last two games with a left knee sprain, looked well in practice Thursday. A further evaluation during Friday's practice will determine if Bulaga plays Sunday against St. Louis.

"He felt good this morning, was the report from the medical staff," said McCarthy. "We had padded practice today. I had a chance to observe him going in the one-on-one run blocking against the d-line and also the pass rush, he looks to be moving well. The examination on Friday is going to be the true test, because being in pads today, he had a chance to lean on the defense. He looked fine. We'll see what the film shows and see how he feels tomorrow."

Bulaga says he's ready to go Sunday if it's up to him.

"We'll see what decision coach McCarthy and the coaches want to make and we'll go from there. I want to be out there with my teammates," he said Thursday in the Packers locker room.

With left tackle Chad Clifton already out long-term with a hamstring injury, if Bulaga can't go it will be up to Marshall Newhouse at right tackle and Derek Sherrod at left tackle. If Bulaga does return at right tackle, more than likely Newhouse would play left tackle and Sherrod would go to the bench.

-McCarthy also said he's not worried about Jermichael Finely's dropped passes against Atlanta, and that the tight end should forget about it and move forward.

"It's very unusual to see Jermichael drop a football, contested, or uncontested, so that hasn't changed anything as far as how he's working," McCarthy said. "He actually had a very productive practice today."

-The Packers have signed Cecil Newton, the brother of Carolina rookie QB Cam Newton, to the practice squad.

Cecil is a 6-foot-2 offensive guard/center out of Tennessee State. He was signed to Jacksonville's practice squad in 2009. He spent time on the Jags' practice squad and made the active roster twice in 2009. He was with the Saints during training camp this season, but was cut.