Throwbacks Around The League

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
So how do you guys feel seeing throwbacks? I know some didn't like our 1930's throwbacks last season but I thought they were cool.

The Saints broke out their 1970's darker gold throwbacks today against the Texans. I liked to see the old helmet with the larger logo on it, reminded me of when I was younger. The 70's uniforms they wear are really neat, but the Saints really should update their old logo from the late 1980's with the state. Put that on their sleeves or better yet put it on the midfield of the dome.

I hate the ugly Jets throwbacks, and the Bronco's brown and yellow garbage (Why don't they just wear those orange jerseys from the 80's besides that dreadful stuff?)

Tennessee likes to show off the 60's Oilers blue uniforms which is OK cause they won't break out the 1980's-1990's Oilers uniforms to remind us how much we hate that they destroyed the only likable team in the state of Texas.

I do like the Eagles throwback with the silver and light green. Which I believe they should have NEVER changed from cause the dark green is so ugly. Dallas has some cool throwbacks too from the NFC East.

Buffalo changed to an updated version of their white helmet throwbacks, and so far they are 3-0 in them, so it must have magic. I really love those uniforms but when I think of Buffalo I like to think of the 1990's Bills with the red helmet. They probably will never wear those throwbacks to remind them of losing 4 straight Super Bowls.

But of all the throwbacks that are cool, to me the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had the coolest logo on their helmet that they trashed for some new ugly colors. I know they sucked wearing orange and red, but I thought it looked cool.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it when the teams break out the throwbacks. They get people talking, which is a good thing. You can argue one way or another about the aesthetics or historical accuracy, but they serve the NFL's purpose of selling it's past. The NFL is very good at that, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Love throwbacks, even more so when its the Packers. I would love color versus color games if more teams could wear their throwbacks on the road instead of white jerseys.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I like it when the teams break out the throwbacks. They get people talking, which is a good thing. You can argue one way or another about the aesthetics or historical accuracy, but they serve the NFL's purpose of selling it's past. The NFL is very good at that, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I don't think its about selling the past nearly as much as it is about selling more jerseys.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
What's bad is when the throwbacks look better than what they wear today, like Philadelphia. Those ugly dark green uniforms always stick out than the silver and lighter green.

New England also had cool throwbacks. They could easily go back to that old logo of the 1700's blue jacket Patriot.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think its about selling the past nearly as much as it is about selling more jerseys.
Selling more jerseys is part of it.
The NFL sells a lot of other stuff related to its past as well.
I think that at least in this case the consumer can learn a little history in the process.
The bottom line is that its all about $elling...

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like that they pay tribute/ honor to a previous era. Aesthetically, some of them are rather harsh on the eyes. Take for example the Bears bright orange throwbacks today. They stuck out like a bunch of sore thumbs. The Packers (unless one was colorblind) must of had no trouble at all spotting the Bears all over the field because they were conspicuous as hell. This is just my personal criticism.

The Jets are terrible. I like most of the Eagles but one year the had ones that looked like the Jets. That was just awful. Nobody should look like the Jets!

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I like that they pay tribute/ honor to a previous era. Aesthetically, some of them are rather harsh on the eyes. Take for example the Bears bright orange throwbacks today. They stuck out like a bunch of sore thumbs. The Packers (unless one was colorblind) must of had no trouble at all spotting the Bears all over the field because they were conspicuous as hell. This is just my personal criticism.

The Jets are terrible. I like most of the Eagles but one year the had ones that looked like the Jets. That was just awful. Nobody should look like the Jets!

What kills me about the Jets is they had cool jerseys in the 80's. That yellow and black crap is just so ugly. Why not break out those 80's uniforms if you want to go throwback? They look much better.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like all alternates and throwbacks based on putting out something different. Only a few do I hate. The steelers have this stripped throwback that makes me ill.

bradwillrockyou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the original Tampa Bay colors and logo (new one is just boring) and I think the 70's Oilers had some of the coolest unis around. Those Jets Throwbacks were serioulsy ugly though. Am I the only one who misses the white Buffalo Bills helmets? I thought those were classic. I like the Packer 1929 throwbacks. What was up with those orange Bears jerseys today? They looked like practice jerseys or something.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to tell you, going with the old Saints' jersey had me worried. I was afraid we would awaken all the bad mojo from the past and for a while I thought that is what happened. But 23 points in the 4th quarter took care of that.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I have to tell you, going with the old Saints' jersey had me worried. I was afraid we would awaken all the bad mojo from the past and for a while I thought that is what happened. But 23 points in the 4th quarter took care of that.

Oh I can hear that now, if they would had lost it would have been over the uniforms LOL.

Saints need to start breaking out those late 1980's- early 1990's throwbacks.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Why they did away with that state logo on the sleeves is beyond me, I thought it looked awesome.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
You know I hate saying this but once a team changes its jerseys they usually do well soon after word, the Pack introduces a throwback they win a SB that year, the Bills change their uniforms boom their are relevant again, Denver Broncos change their uniforms and they win the SB. Though this is not always true and just looking at the few successes compared to multiple failures, like the Cardinals when they introduced a throwback, they just sucked, but I think it gives a team a different feel for the team for a bit.

Members online

Latest posts