1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Through the mail autographs

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by nathaniel, Jul 23, 2007.

1. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if anyone has sent autograph requests to any of the Packers players. The website gives the Lambeau street address for requests. I'm going to send one to Aaron Kampman and see what happens. Trying to get as many former Hawkeyes autographs as I can. If I get one back, I'll probably try to send more requests and see if I can get more Packers autos than Cheesey! Haha! I know, I know...that's humanly impossible!

2. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I usually get mine off of ebay. They aren't too expensive depending on who it is and you get a certificate of authenticity with it.

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    LOL! Good luck on catching me!LOL!
    Anyway.....you have NOTHING to lose in trying. My suggestions are as follows.
    Make SURE you send something to be signed that you can afford to lose, as there is no guarentee that it will ever get back to you. Also, be sure to send along a self addressed stamped envelope with your item, as it makes it VERY easy for the player to sign the item and just put it in the envelope to return it. And always put a hand written fan letter in with the item, as it makes the player know that you are a true fan, not just someone trying to get an autograph to sell on ebay. It can take a LONG time to get what you send back, so be patient. Of course the bigger "star" the player is, the more stuff he gets and the harder it is for him to get through all his mail. If you are sending a football card to be signed, rub your thumb over the front of it several times before you put it in the envelope. I know it sounds crazy, but it will remove some of the coating that they put on cards today so that the signature will stick. Otherwise, if your card is signed with a sharpie marker it will just bubble up and not stick to the card. (I actually taught this to Packer linebacker Brady Poppinga at Fan Fest. I gave him a card to sign, and he said "I better sign this with a ballpoint pen, I signed a kid's card with a marker and it didn't stick" I told him what I do, and he didn't believe me........till he signed my card. He said "Hey! It works!" I told him "I told you it would!" And he started laughing!)
    Brett Favre gets SO much stuff that you probably will never get something back from him. If you do, it will probably be a stamped signature. As you can imagine, he gets TONS of requests.
    NOW is the time to send things, as during the season it's hard for them to have time for fan mail.
    I really hope you have great luck on this! It's always fun to try for requests through the mail, as you never know what it might bring!
    Keep me updated on how it turns out, ok?
    Awhile back I sent a card to Terry Bradshaw. (He has a GREAT sense of humor, as i have seen him on "The Tonight Show" many times, and i really like the guy) And I wrote a nice letter to him, and he signed my card for me! So it does work!
    Another story was from 2 seasons ago. I was at the Packer/Seahawk game when Shawn Alexander made the (at the time) NFL record 28th touchdown. I took a picture of him as he crossed the endzone line. I mailed him 2 copies of the photo, telling him to keep one for himself, and asking he he could, please sign the other one for me. Now, i sent it during the 2 weeks between the NFC championship game and the Super Bowl. I really didn't expect to even get it back, but it was in my hands before the SB was even played!
    So, nothing ventured, nothing gained!
    GOOD LUCK my friend! :thumbsup:

4. Lynch

Lynch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    How many autographs do you have Cheesey?

5. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm going to give you my opinions on this just to help you in the future.
    A certificate of authenticity is only as good as the person selling the autographed item. Anyone with a computer and printer can make their own COA's pretty easily, so be careful. There are MANY rip off artists out there that want to make a quick buck off trusting people. Before you buy from someone, do some homework on them. Check their feedback for any red flags. Also, check the item against KNOWN AUTHENTIC autographs of the player. To give you an example, a few years ago a reputable memoriabilia dealer in Mequon Wisconsin was busted for selling fake Brett Favre autographed pictures. (I believe he was known as "Mister Sports") He let the idea of a quick buck take his whole business down. He ended up losing his store, and having to bring in an autograph authenticator so that people that bought stuff from him could have it verified as real or fake. I have a signed Favre SB 31 mini helmet from him that i had verified because of this. He lost EVERYTHING because of his greed. He was a big time dealer, so he got caught. The smaller ones have a better chance of falling through the cracks and not getting caught.
    So just BE CAREFUL so you don't get burned! Remember, if a deal seems too good to be real, it probably is!
    Favre started putting his own hologram on items he has signed to try to stop the fakes out there. If an item has his hologram on the COA with the matching one on the item signed, you can be pretty sure it's legit.
    Of course the BEST way to make sure an item is real is to have the guy sign it in front of you. (I know thats not always possible of course) I have a signed card by Favre that he signed for me after practice in 1992, on the wall in front of me. I have no COA of course, but he signed it right in front of me, so I KNOW it's real!
    I hope this helps you for future reference!

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Lynch!
    Man.....i have probably have well over 100. I have 44 on a helmet, and i believe 28 on a poster. I have pictures i have taken of players that i have had them sign. 2 of Nick Barnett, Aaron Kampman, Kabeer Gbaja Biamila, Aaron Rodgers, Gilbert "Grave Digger" Brown (I asked him to sign "Gravedigger" on it along with his name, and he did it for me!) 2 of Ahman Green, Coach Mike McCarthy, Don "Majic" Majkowski, Corey Williams, Nick Collins, Patrick Dendy, Ryan Longwell, and a couple others.
    I have 2 Packer placemats that i had signed by the Coach, Cullen Jenkins, Nick Barnett, Will Blackmon and Daryn Colledge. The other by Robert Brooks, Don Beebe, LeRoy Butler, and Fuzzy Thurston.
    I have a SB 31 mini helmet signed by Brett Favre and Desmond Howard. A mini helmet signed by Sterling Sharpe. A football signed by Favre. A football signed by Ahman Green. A card signed by Bart Starr.
    I have some other stuff too.
    So it's a pretty good collection!

7. Lynch

Lynch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    **** yeah u have it all man, i almost evnvy u :wink:

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah......looking at it now, it's a pretty impressive collection!
    I started collecting autographs in the early 1990's. I even have some baseball ones. (Not NEARLY as many as Packer ones though!) :rotflmao: :thumbsup:

9. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, Cheesey! I met Abdul Hodge in person, and he signed a card for me and the ink kind of scattered, if that makes any sense. So, rubbing the card does make sense. I'll have to do that.

10. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    That is EXACTLY what i'm talking about with the ink! Like i said, next time rub the front of the card for several seconds before you hand it to the player, and that will keep that from happening! (Be sure to rub the whole front, as sometimes the player isn't real careful where he signs it). Then it will stick and not scatter when he signs it.
    Just to get a feel for it, and to see the difference, take a couple of your "common" cards that you don't want, and write on one without and the other with rubbing. You will be surprised how well it works!
    The older cards that don't have the "UV" gloss coating on them don't need to be rubbed.
    Keep me updated how your autograph hunt goes!

11. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Funny thing is Cheesey....

When I walked into that new bar Champions and saw what was going on the first thing I thought of was you.

I wish I had my computer I would have sent you a P.M. to get down there for Leroy's Birthday party.

How far of a drive is it for you to get to Green Bay?

I am heading up there next week and will be staying at the Hilton next to Brett's Steak House.

I have to meet the world famous Cheesey....

The beers are on me!

PM me...

RP

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey RP!
    It is about an hour and a half drive for me.
    I wouldn't say I'm "world famous"...........maybe "Packerforum famous!"
    Today has been a REAL bad day. With my Meniere's disease i can get some really bad migraines. I got my wife off to work this morning, and had been in bed till 5pm tonight. I finally felt good enough to come here for a few minutes.

13. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    So I finally sent out two autograph requests today. I sent one to Aaron Kampman and one to Aaron Rodgers. I sent one card to each of them. I'm sure the Rodgers is a long shot, but I thought I'd give it a try. I'm really hoping for the Kampman, cause I'm trying to collect as many former Hawkeyes as possible. I already have Hodge, so Cole is next, plus I already have a few from other teams. Anyways, I'll post an update if I get anything back.

14. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Sweet! Hope you get them back!
    Rodgers is actually a good one to try for now........BEFORE he takes the reins from Favre!

15. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sent to AJ Hawk yesterday and also sent one to Samkon Gado c/o the Texans. I'll be happy if even one comes back.

16. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Hawk i'm sure will be the tougher one, as he is more of a "star".
    I got both of them last year, before they got rid of Gado. (I was at the first OTA last year)

17. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got one back today! Justin Harrell signed a 07 Topps Total Rookie for me! Sent it on 8/18 and got it back 8/29.

18. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Wow! Thats a quick turn around! It was smart of you to send it too him BEFORE he becomes great. Once that happens, its really hard to get anything signed!

19. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Got another one back from Samkon Gado today! Sent it c/o the Texans.

20. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Sweet!
    Gado is a really nice guy, so it doesn't surprise me!

21. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm slowly catching up to you, Cheesey! My collection is growing nicely. Just got a card back from Aaron Kampman today! I can add it to my Packer collection AND my ex-Hawkeye collection!

22. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Good for you! Keep it up, and you just might catch up to me! :wink: :D

23. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Dang Cheesey - I was just reading back in the thread. You got Bradshaw? How cool is that!!!

24. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    As cool as that would be, I'd have to collect for the next 200 years to catch up! You are definitely the autograph king!

25. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I know! I was surprised he did it for me. I just wrote him an honest fan letter, and sent the card with a SASE, and i was VERY surprised and happy when i got it back! The way i see it, you have nothing to lose except whatever you mail to be signed.
    I even wrote a letter to Jerry Lewis, the actor/comedian a few years ago. I asked if he could sign a 3"x5" index card i sent for my wife as a surpise. She's a big fan of his (i am too). Anyway, a few weeks later i get an envelope in the mail, and there's a personalized signed 8x10 photo to my wife from him! So it's always fun to try, as you never know WHAT might come!
    Back in the early 1990's i went to a Milwaukee Brewers game at old County Stadium. I took some nice photos of Robin Yount and Paul Molitor. I got one of them together. So a guy i knew saw my photo, and asked if he could have a copy of it. He said he would make me a deal........he was in tight with alot of the Brewers, so he said he would take me to the next game, his treat, and get them both signed, one for him and one for me. So we got to the stadium early, went down to the dugout, and he asked one of the guys to get Yount and Molitor. They came up and signed both photos! And Molitor even signed a close up i had taken of him also for me!
    The guy i knew is the same one that introduced me to Ray Nitschke and made it possible for me to sit and talk (and get some autographs) with Ray! (I also got an autographed photo of the late Eddie Mathews, of the Milwaukee Braves through this guy. He knew him from autograph signings he had with him. He also got Sterling Sharpe to sign a mini helmet for my wife to give to me for my birthday).
    Through another person i knew back in the 1980's i was able to get Milwaukee Braves pitcher Warren Spahn to autograph a 1965 Milwaukee Braves little league baseball bat for me. Unfortunatly i lost contact with this lady, and don't know where she is now.
    So my collection has grown quite a bit over the years. I only wish i had a big home to display it all. Most of it is packed away, as i have no where to show it.
    One of these days i'll have to take my autographed photos over to WalMart and put them on a disc so i can show them to all of you.