***Three more claimed, Horton cut, practice squad starts...

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers claim three; waive Horton
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: Sept. 3, 2006
The Green Bay Packers took fliers on youth Sunday, claiming three rookies off waivers for their 53-man roster.

With two roster spots available, the Packers had to make room and they chose to release veteran cornerback Jason Horton.

Claimed on waivers were guard Tony Palmer, from St. Louis; safety Charlie Peprah, from the New York Giants; and cornerback Jarret Bush, from Carolina. Peprah was a fifth-round pick, Palmer a seventh-round pick and Bush a rookie free agent.

With only eight offensive linemen on their roster the Packers decided to take a look at the inexperienced Palmer rather than bring in a veteran. The 6-foot-2, 330-pound guard from the University of Missouri saw only limited action during the exhibition season.

It's unclear whether the Packers claimed simply to bring him in for a workout or if they think he's someone that can help them down the road.

"They wouldn't claim him just to bring him in," said Palmer's agent, Peter Schaffer. "He's a great young man with a great family. He has a lot of talent. Six teams wanted to put him on their practice squad. It's an indication the kid has talent."

Though the Rams cut Palmer, they clearly wanted him back on their practice squad and thought of him as someone they could develop. After acquiring veteran guard Adam Goldberg in a trade with Minnesota, they appear to have run into a numbers problem.

"We'd love to have him back," Rams head coach Scott Linehan said Saturday after cutting Palmer. "He's going to develop into, I think, a real fine offensive guard in the NFL."

The 5-11, 202-pound Peprah was a four-year starter at Alabama, playing both cornerback and safety. He had five tackles and an interception in the exhibition season.

The 6-foot, 194-pound Bush played at Utah St. before signing with the Panthers.

Horton played two seasons with the Packers and was set to be their dime cornerback. However, he had a rough game against Tennessee Friday and had a mediocre training camp. In two seasons, he played in 23 games, had 13 tackles and no interceptions or passes defensed.
Bigby among practice squad additions

The Green Bay Packers have brought back at least four players they released over the past week, including safety Atari Bigby whose broken hand kept him from vying for a spot on the 53-man roster.

In addition to Bigby, the Packers have agreed on practice squad contracts with defensive end Dave Tollefson, tight end Zac Alcorn and wide receiver Calvin Russell, agents for all four players said.

The Packers can have as many as eight players on their practice squad, which is made up of players who have less than a year of experience and have passed through waivers. The Packers haven't announced any of their agreements and it's likely they have others in place.

Bigby broke his hand in the team's intrasquad scrimmage and missed all but the final couple of days of training camp. He underwent surgery to repair the hand and practiced with his hand in a large, cumbersome padded cast.

The Packers kept only three safeties on their active roster and might be stashing Bigby until his hand heals. Bigby was told the injury would take four to six weeks to mend, which means he should be near full strength in a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
R

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: ***Three more claimed, Horton cut, practice squad starts

They signed my guy Alcorn to the practice squad- excellent news. I guarantee he'll be a part of the team by next season.

Reaction score
What worries me is that we still have 4 WRs.

1 stud
1 Rookie who is expected to be a solid #2
1 vet who has underachieved his whole career
1 player who was on Chargers PS for 2 years, and hasn't played a down in the NFL regular season.

:-?

OP
OP
R

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They're not done yet. They're only keeping 4 TE's until Hendo is ready to go. I'd assume they'll get that 5th WR then.

In the meantime they'll run more two TE sets and less 4 WR sets.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They kept four tight ends and might go with two or three set tight ends with their wide receivers

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alcorn means another tight end. Our we trying to be the king of tight ends or what. It was proven a few years ago that 4 WRs aren't enough, and we had the chance today to grab a WR with some experience. I'm not impressed.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was really expecting them to pick up a WR. I never heard of these guys they picked up.

Members online

Latest posts