Thoughts on the rookies

D

Deleted member 6794

6 targets 3 receptions 24 yards 1 TD and 1 of those targets he got a PI call on. what needs justifying for more playing time to you? Proven he can out run coverage, proven he can get off the jam. Proven he has solid hands. He botched 1 punt but ive seen far worse things from other players on the team.

Davis hasn't proven anything at all. There's no reason to get excited about him having three receptions for an average of eight yards per catch. Allison, an undrafted rookie, put up better numbers in a single game vs. the Vikings.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis hasn't proven anything at all. There's no reason to get excited about him having three receptions for an average of eight yards per catch. Allison, an undrafted rookie, put up better numbers in a single game vs. the Vikings.
GMO 16 targets 8 receptions 111 yrds 1TD, TDs what matter and they both have 1 each, but as far as stats they both about the same pace. You guys sleeping on Davis. Im not getting to excited your just down playing davis talent.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GMO 16 targets 8 receptions 111 yrds 1TD, TDs what matter and they both have 1 each, but as far as stats they both about the same pace. You guys sleeping on Davis. Im not getting to excited your just down playing davis talent.
I don't think anyone is downplaying his potential.
I think the captain is right, he hasn't proven anything yet.
I believe that this kid will do some special things for the Packers during the course of his contract but due to his stature he won't be around long.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is downplaying his potential.
I think the captain is right, he hasn't proven anything yet.
I believe that this kid will do some special things for the Packers during the course of his contract but due to his stature he won't be around long.
hmmm, sproles, desean jackson, ty hilton, emmanuel sanders, antonio brown, beasley,brandon cook they seem to be doing okay.

D

Deleted member 6794

Im not getting to excited your just down playing davis talent.

Davis reminds me a lot of Janis. He has all the physical tools necessary to become a productive receiver therefore fans are demanding to get him on the field more often but seems to lack chemistry with Rodgers for some reason. On the other hand the quarterback trusts Allison to be in the right spot at all time.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Davis reminds me a lot of Janis. He has all the physical tools necessary to become a productive receiver therefore fans are demanding to get him on the field more often but seems to lack chemistry with Rodgers for some reason. On the other hand the quarterback trusts Allison to be in the right spot at all time.
I don't think there is room ATM for Davis to get on the field. I see Davis as a slot guy. Jordy is playing a lot of slot, Cobb is the starter there, Cook and Monty play there. G'mo did some too though he's built for the edges. Not many snaps left. I'd like to see what he can do in the same role as Monty. I don't think he'd be tough between the tackles though. Gotta see it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think there is room ATM for Davis to get on the field. I see Davis as a slot guy. Jordy is playing a lot of slot, Cobb is the starter there, Cook and Monty play there. G'mo did some too though he's built for the edges. Not many snaps left. I'd like to see what he can do in the same role as Monty. I don't think he'd be tough between the tackles though. Gotta see it.

I don't believe Davis is a fit to play in the slot as he's mostly a downfield threat. At 6-1, 188 there's no way the Packers could use him in a similar role as Montgomery.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I read an article today in my morning paper (WSJ) about Allison. It sounds like Rodgers and the coaching staff have liked him from the jump. He came right in and immersed himself in the playbook. Stating that he realized that this was the key to playing for the Packers. Once he felt confident with the playbook, his skills and potential showed up on the practice field and we saw that Sunday. I think Allison needs some time in the weight room to work on his upper body strength, but so far I really like what I have seen from a guy who appears to be putting in the work to make it at the next level.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there enough from G'mo and Davis to cut bait & $$$$ with Cobb this off-season? Assuming Monty stays at his RB/WR duality.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis missed an easy but important pass in the left flat during the season and has not been given a chance since (not saying I agree with the coaches on that point) . So like most everyone else...I don't know what he can do. He is fast and quick which is something that is always good. He has to show he can make the catches. Looks like next year though.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis 6'1" 187lbs I pray mm don't play him in a Monty role. He would be good on the edge or slot receiver. G-Mo was also playing slot.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis missed an easy but important pass in the left flat during the season and has not been given a chance since (not saying I agree with the coaches on that point) . So like most everyone else...I don't know what he can do. He is fast and quick which is something that is always good. He has to show he can make the catches. Looks like next year though.
Chemistry I can understand, Janis problem he run the wrong routes, playbook isn't his strength.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately that's a terrible approach for a team solely relying on the draft to improve the roster.

I'm not convinced that's true as Martinez has currently been passed by Ryan and Thomas on the depth chart.

Bulaga is one of the best right tackles in the league, especially in pass protection. There's no reason to move him inside.

I'm disappointed by Clark's performance for most of this season and not a lack of stats. He had improved over the past few weeks though.

Davis hasn't shown anything justifying to get any snaps on offense.
I figure that Ryan and Martinez start for us next season because Thomas has taken 4-5 seasons to become a decent performer. Martinez has matched Thomas this season in my opinion. Thomas strength is his coverage vs backs and TEs. Martinez needs that extra season to match up to the speed+strength. He was a very reliable cover LB at Stanford. Plus Thomas is some type of FA if I remember correctly.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I figure that Ryan and Martinez start for us next season because Thomas has taken 4-5 seasons to become a decent performer. Martinez has matched Thomas this season in my opinion. Thomas strength is his coverage vs backs and TEs. Martinez needs that extra season to match up to the speed+strength. He was a very reliable cover LB at Stanford. Plus Thomas is some type of FA if I remember correctly.

UDFA's or mid round picks. Plug them in as starters, wait 4-5 years, end up with 'decent'. That's a bug not a feature to me.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UDFA's or mid round picks. Plug them in as starters, wait 4-5 years, end up with 'decent'. That's a bug not a feature to me.
I know I screamed at Thomas year after year. Now he finally does his job, most the time. My point was Martinez will be a much better ILB than him and will start next to Ryan next season

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I screamed at Thomas year after year. Now he finally does his job, most the time. My point was Martinez will be a much better ILB than him and will start next to Ryan next season
I had no problem with your points, Arthur. It just points out to me the too often cut rate half assed way this team is stocked at times. Thomas is much improved- for Thomas. He's a 2nd tier guy. Ryan and Martinez are too physically limited to be much more themselves.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I
@Arthur Squires , you disagree with me asking a question? Then don't have the gumption to answer the question?
I didn't check disagree because you framed it as a question, but I definitely do not agree with your premise. Cobb has been injured too much, but I think many here discount his talent level as a result.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not a good sign for davis that Allison is playing ahead of him.
GB tends to have that group that never seems to make it past the rookie deal. Janis has earned his spot as a top notch gunner on special teams. otherwise he would be gone soon too.

Between Jordys undeniable effect on Rodgers. And the pick of the rest between Adams, Cobb, and Montgomery.... I don't see how anyone could crack the starting lineup for the next couple years. Without a string of injuries at least.

D

Deleted member 6794

Is there enough from G'mo and Davis to cut bait & $$$$ with Cobb this off-season? Assuming Monty stays at his RB/WR duality.

I agree that Cobb hasn't performed up to the contract he signed after the 2014 season but I don't believe it would be a smart move to release him next offseason.

Thomas is currently only in his second season playing in the NFL. I agree that he most likely won't ever turn into an above average player but currently he's ahead of Martinez on the depth chart. He's an exclusive rights free agent after this year but I expect him to be back.

Its not a good sign for davis that Allison is playing ahead of him.
GB tends to have that group that never seems to make it past the rookie deal. Janis has earned his spot as a top notch gunner on special teams. otherwise he would be gone soon too.

Between Jordys undeniable effect on Rodgers. And the pick of the rest between Adams, Cobb, and Montgomery.... I don't see how anyone could crack the starting lineup for the next couple years. Without a string of injuries at least.

Janis hasn't performed on a high level on special teams this season either. With Nelson getting up there in age and Cobb struggling it's possible another receiver could crack the starting lineup over the next few seasons.

Members online

Latest posts