Thoughts on the rookies

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't been able to watch as many games as I would like so I haven't been able to focus much on the rookies. What are people's thoughts so far? Seems like they haven't had a huge impact on a draft and develop type team. Clark has been talked about more positively lately but I haven't heard a ton more

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually looking forward to see how our rookies improve next year. We had most rookies log alot of snaps.
1.Clark had I guess you can say an average year. He has been making some nice plays in the run game lately. But we really needed more from him as our 1st rd pick.
2.Spriggs may not have played much this year but I think he did well when he played. Definitely a step up from Barclay when he had to play guard. I still believe we have a bright young talented tackle, ready to step up if needed and not be liability.
3.Fackrell I saw alot of people were unhappy with pick. Some called him 1 trick pony. But he really can explode off the edge and handwork improved over the season. Some see him as a rotational guy at best. I see a guy that could log 5+ sacks next year.
4.Martinez has shown he can tackle at this level and pretty well at that. He will greatly benefit from the offseason and the pair in the middle Jake and Blake should be on fire next season. I still think we need a ILB this draft, like Cunningham from Vanderbilt.
5.Davis was my least favorite pick this class. At Cal he was up and down, we drafted him for the "deep speed" aspect, but haven't seen it yet. He made a few plays. But my biggest doubt is his health due to small thin frame.
6.Lowry is the hardest worker we may have besides Daniels. This guy may not have the frame or the outstanding talent. But he never gives up and makes some nice athletic plays vs run. Not to mention his height advantage, I think he batted 3 balls down at the line this season. Underrated player in my book. Hope we see more of the same and better next year.
7.Murphy got a redshirt year really. But he played well at Stanford clearing paths for McCaffrey (hopefully future packer). He needs to hit the weightroom imo. Even he is an upgrade from Barclay!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez looks legit when healthy. I was happy with him until the injury took him out. Our secondary was suffering badly at the time, and losing Ryan and Martinez sent us into a temp tailspin on defense..... I think that says a lot about the two young ILBs we have.

Spriggs has been filling in here and there. I havnt seen him failing. Thats a huge thumbs up from me. Im actually very optimistic that he will be a stud in a couple years...

Fackrel and Lowry both shown flashes, in limited snaps.

Davis the WR has been passed up on the depth chart by Geronimo Allison who is undrafted rookie this year. Allison also passed up Janis I believe. Also Aberdarius if we are counting everyone. The 6'3" receiver seems to be a diamond in the rough...

Clark started slow. Guion has been the producer. I think Clark will consistently get better for the next few years. But right now he doesn't make an impact like we had hoped. He is ony 20 or maybe 21 years old right now

All in all Im very pleased with this draft class

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, Martinez and Allison have been the best of the rookie class so far. Martinez has shown that he can play at the NFL level when healthy and Allison appears to be a nice undrafted rookie pickup by TT, only time will tell with him though. Clark has shown some good things this season and I think he will build up on them and be an above average starter for the Pack next year.
I don't really have any complaints about Spriggs. Whenever he is thrown in I never really hear his name much which sometimes is a good thing for someone on the line.
Fackrel and Lowry have looked good in the few opportunities they've been given.
Davis, I don't really like him. Maybe he comes out next year but I see him as this years player who doesn't last his whole rookie contract.

As @Eli Haugen stated, I am also pleased with his class. The only downfall is there doesn't appear to be that playmaker or breakout player this team needs, especially on defense, but still a very solid draft with a few players that will be solid starters in the future.

H

HardRightEdge

The draft part comes first, the "development" part looks like it's got some ways to go with these guys.

Clark fell on a ball at his feet for a fumble recovery and had one nice run stop against the Vikings. He's come a long way from absolutely dreadful in camp and early preseason (possibly bothered by a bad back that put him on the shelf during the back half of preseason) to serviceable in rotation. You'll have to wait for next year to see if he can make the jump. He's shown nothing in the pass rush; given this team plays base D only about 20% of the time, I don't think they spent a first round pick on a guy who can't push the pocket and be a 3-down player. We'll see where he goes next year.

Spriggs looked pretty decent pass blocking when thrown in at guard to sub for Lang, however his run blocking was pretty dreadful. Not that he was getting physically beaten so much as not in sync with his mates and blocking the wrong guy or taking the wrong angle. Zone blocking is an ensemble effort; it takes time to get the hang of it. It's a testament to the ability of this O-Line that a guy can get thrown in out of position, make mistakes, and they're able to cover for him. He's also been blocking at tackle-eligible TE in short yardage. I don't think he quite has the knack for that quite yet. His footwork and balance bothers me at the OT position; he reminds me of Nate Solder who struggled for a few years before getting to decent. Spriggs may end up at guard next season with advance instructions to put on pounds if Lang is deemed unaffordable.

Fackrell's had a flash here and there, but he does get pushed around some and at times looks a little clueless. He's only a guy you want in there on obvious passing downs to edge rush if one of the studs needs a blow. The whole 3-down post snap reaction to run or pass is above his level of competence right now. Then again, few rookies of any draft status step in and play 3-down 3-4 OLB. He needs some additional good weight to hold the edge against the blocks of NFL linemen.

Martinez was a starter on day one and the designated signal caller. I think the signal calling was turned over to Ryan since he's been the guy doing all the gesturing and pointing starting around week 3. Then Martinez got hurt. Now he's back, but Thomas is getting a lot of his snaps. Maybe he's not all the way the back. Or maybe the Ryan/Thomas chemistry looks better. It does to me despite Thomas' shortcomings. Yet another case of "wait for next year".

Lowry looks serviceable in rotation. Davis has not gained the Rodgers stamp of approval while not having ST utility to get on the game day roster since the end of November. To his credit, I do believe Davis has been the only receiver to beat a defense over the top down the middle of the field this year. It ended in pass interference in the end zone though I can't recall if that was an early game or in late preseason. Murphy's been on the game day roster the last 3 weeks, getting 8 offensive snaps and 3 ST snaps. I can't say I noticed him for good or ill.

Of the UDFAs, Brice and Allison are the most notable, getting their most significant playing time this past week against Minnesota. Brice has been a regular fixture in dime all season and as a spot injury fill-in, seeing 10-20 snaps on a regular basis. Allison had a nice game last week substituting for Cobb while alternating wide and slot with Nelson. These guys could be decent players. We need to see more of them to judge.

All in all, it's a draft that needs to make the vaunted McCarthy second year jump. I'm not one who says you can't judge a draft until after year 3 unless you've included a learn-on-the-job starting QB in that group. By this time next year you should have a pretty good idea where these guys are heading.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

All in all Im very pleased with this draft class

As @Eli Haugen stated, I am also pleased with his class. The only downfall is there doesn't appear to be that playmaker or breakout player this team needs, especially on defense, but still a very solid draft with a few players that will be solid starters in the future.

With the Packers draft and develop approach there's no way I'm pleased with this year's class. Martinez and Clark are the only rookies to have received significant playing time but have been average at best. The rest of the picks haven't been able to get on the field. Don't get me wrong there's still plenty of time left for all of them to improve but so far I'm disappointed with their production.

Davis has not gained the Rodgers stamp of approval while not having ST utility to get on the game day roster since the end of November. To his credit, I do believe Davis has been the only receiver to beat a defense over the top down the middle of the field this year. It ended in pass interference in the end zone though I can't recall if that was an early game or in late preseason.

That play happened against the Lions in week 3. The 66-yard penalty the pass resulted in is the longest in the NFL in at least 30 years.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was a article a month or so before which rated Clark at bottom 25% of his position. NFL grades him C+ for this season. Hasn't shown that deserved being picked first round. But he's supposed to be consistent...let's hope we see him get some more snaps.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We said it at the time of the draft. It wasn't a **** draft in terms of immediate impact but rather a draft that was done with the future in mind.

It's been pretty much what we expected. Not displeased or disappointed. We knew this was a draft where if we hit it wouldn't show for 2-3 years

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is an opportunity for most this class to see increased roles next season. Clark obviously should being 1st rd pick. Spriggs may step up for Lang like previously mentioned though I don't think that happens + he is 1 injury away from playing Tackle. Fackrell could see the field more with so many OLBs being FAs. Lowry could surprise alot of people and be a starter next season. Martinez guaranteed starter. Davis and Murphy may still be hard pressed for snaps next season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers draft and develop approach there's no way I'm pleased with this year's class. Martinez and Clark are the only rookies to have received significant playing time but have been average at best. The rest of the picks haven't been able to get on the field. Don't get me wrong there's still plenty of time left for all of them to improve but so far I'm disappointed with their production.

That play happened against the Lions in week 3. The 66-yard penalty the pass resulted in is the longest in the NFL in at least 30 years.
It should also be noted that the NFL officials made a statement later in the week saying that they had erred on that penalty and that it should not have been called pass interference.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said it when clark was drafted as a nt, that he should be played as a de like daniels is.
I was thinking we would see alot of that this season. Clark and Daniels at End with Guion in the the middle. But I guess they were more comfortable playing Lowry at 5tech and Clark backing up Guion at NT. Maybe Clark had a hard time grasping playbook being so young. Also the back may have bothered Clark like previously mentioned.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am torn with Clark. On one hand he is extremely young (even for a rookie) and plays a position that is known to take a couple years seasoning and at least appears to be able to hold his ground in the run game. On the other hand, I had hardly even noticed he was on the team until the last couple weeks, apparently tearing a page out of ole Raji's playbook. And when you factor in Ted's defensive line drafting overall since he got here, I'm a bit worried. Time will tell, I suppose.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am torn with Clark. On one hand he is extremely young (even for a rookie) and plays a position that is known to take a couple years seasoning and at least appears to be able to hold his ground in the run game. On the other hand, I had hardly even noticed he was on the team until the last couple weeks, apparently tearing a page out of ole Raji's playbook. And when you factor in Ted's defensive line drafting overall since he got here, I'm a bit worried. Time will tell, I suppose.
Just goes to show how hard it is to get good stats from that NT position. Guion is a valuable cog in the machine IMO. But I think its time to draft a real big quick NT.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just goes to show how hard it is to get good stats from that NT position. Guion is a valuable cog in the machine IMO. But I think its time to draft a real big quick NT.

Speaking of big men in the middle, has anyone heard anything about BJ Raji and how is "hiatus" from football is going? I don't really expect him back, but if he does decide to come back, will be interesting to see if he still has anything in his tank.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of big men in the middle, has anyone heard about BJ Raji and how is "hiatus" from football is going? I don't really expect him back, but if he does decide to come back, will be interesting to see if he still has anything in his tank.
I always liked Raji. I think GB played their cards wrong with him. And he didn't quite walk the walk like a leader should. But say he were to get healthy, rested mentally. Get some vacation time and some family time. Come back and dominate the middle for a few years. With the guys we have on the dline now. He would have the help he always wanted when he was stuck on the island.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me Brice needs more playing time same goes for Davis I thinks these two guys can make an impact. Clark honestly to be drafted first round should be doing better. martinez has grown from the beginning of the season. Allison had a good game last week but I think Davis is better. Only pick I'm disappointed in is clark, just exspected more from him this year.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark has been holding his own in the middle though he isn't making any plays or rushing the passer. At this stage he looks like a decent rotational player on early downs. Spriggs will eventually develop into a starter somewhere along the line. The question is how well will he play. I think TT reached for Fackrell. He may be a rotational player but his thin frame won't hold up well against the run. I like Martinez. He will be a decent starter but looks like he doesn't have the athleticism to be much better than average. For a fourth rounder, he's still a good pick. Lowry plays hard but again I don't see a quick burst from him that would indicate he can develop into a reliable pass rusher. Still, he may be decent in some type of rotation. Looks like Davis has been passed up by Geronimo and Janis on the depth chart. He has time to develop but he sure looks skinny. Murphy is better than Barkley so he looks like a player that can add depth. All in all after one season, the class lacks impact ability. They may get three starters out of the class so I would say the class is middle of the road.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall this draft class has to be termed a disappointment. Kenny Clark has not lived up to his billing; I know first round dlinemen take time but you'd hope a guy worth a first round pick could beat out Guion (I mean, Chris Jones was a guy that many thought the Packers should take and he's been flat out terrific for a great defense in KC). Spriggs is an unknown, we won't know his value until/if the Packers need him to step in at tackle, something the team might not need for a while with Bakh and Bulaga playing so well right now. Fackrell has made no impact and that's saying something considering the time that Matthews has missed. Guys after the first three rounds shouldn't be expected to make any impact their rookie season and that's been the case this year (Martinez started off well but seems to have fallen off a cliff along the way).

Certainly these guys should all get better over time but with TT's way of running a team this team can't afford high-round draft picks to not make an impact in their first season. These guys are on four year deals, with little interest in free agency this team can't waste 25% of a guy's career waiting for them to improve when the team spent valuable draft picks on them. For instance, the front seven is going to be a concern again next season with only one proven great player on the dline and an aging Matthews being the only two guys worth mentioning; the Packers are going to have to count on unknowns with Clark and Fackrell to improve the defense and there really hasn't been much to show improvement from those guys (or the Packers could sign oft-injured Perry to an expensive deal and hope he doesn't turn into Doug Martin, a guy who was always hurt but played just enough in his contract year to get a deal and then started getting hurt again).

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark - he is only 20 years old. He has held his own lately. Should improve with experience. But not sure he was worthy of a #1 pick
Spriggs - lightyears better than Barclay. Not sure if his future is at Tackle or Guard. Definitely has a future on this line. Good pick.
Fackrell - Showed some flashes. IMO this was not a good pick. Not sure he has much upside. Special teams player. Not a 3rd round talent
Martinez - helped shore up the middle. Looks like he could be a starter for years. Solid Pick
Davis - Super fast but way to small. Possible punt returner. Don't really see him ever making it as a WR. Possible bust pick
Lowry - Has showed flashes when he's played. Rotational guy. Can never have to many big bodies. Good Pick
Murphy - incomplete. Hit the weights young man. Hopefully he can contribute next season and end the Don Barclay era.
Allison - UDFA. Liked him in pre-season. Looking like he can be a player. Catches everything thrown his way. Like his size. Great pick-up.

D

Deleted member 6794

We said it at the time of the draft. It wasn't a **** draft in terms of immediate impact but rather a draft that was done with the future in mind.

It's been pretty much what we expected. Not displeased or disappointed. We knew this was a draft where if we hit it wouldn't show for 2-3 years

Unfortunately that's a terrible approach for a team solely relying on the draft to improve the roster.

Martinez guaranteed starter.

I'm not convinced that's true as Martinez has currently been passed by Ryan and Thomas on the depth chart.

I think I'd rather see him outside with Bulaga sliding in to replace Lang. I think injuries have robbed Brian of some of his athleticism and he's basically just out thinking the opposition now.

Bulaga is one of the best right tackles in the league, especially in pass protection. There's no reason to move him inside.

Just goes to show how hard it is to get good stats from that NT position.

I'm disappointed by Clark's performance for most of this season and not a lack of stats. He had improved over the past few weeks though.

To me Brice needs more playing time same goes for Davis I thinks these two guys can make an impact.

Davis hasn't shown anything justifying to get any snaps on offense.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis hasn't shown anything justifying to get any snaps on offense.
6 targets 3 receptions 24 yards 1 TD and 1 of those targets he got a PI call on. what needs justifying for more playing time to you? Proven he can out run coverage, proven he can get off the jam. Proven he has solid hands. He botched 1 punt but ive seen far worse things from other players on the team.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs and Fackrell were expected to be projects- both need weight and strength gains.
But overall, it looks to me to eventually be a bunch of JAGS.

Members online

Latest posts