Thoughts on starting/impact rookies?

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm new here so I missed all that fun post-draft stuff and wanted to get my two cents in, not that anybody cares.

As far as Harrell goes I was just as miffed as anyone else watching the draft, beer in hand, edge of my couch. But then I studied up and found this guy to be an actual pretty good pick here... If not starting for whatever reason, I believe he'll be in the rotation and making the biggest difference of the rookies. He's very athletic for a three hundred pounder and isn't all fat, so he's got that goin for him... which is nice.

Jackson is my next pick to do well. This guy I knew about previously but still think we could have gotten him in the next round but I really like the way this guy runs. If he can put on some muscle while retaining his speed and stop and go ability he will be the #1.

Aaron Rouse is a guy that really intrigues me, he seems to be one heck of a playmaker with a nose for the ball. He hits hard and our pure lack of safeties has me thinking this guy will get good time in and produce.

James Jones is next because I really think he'll be a good possession reciever. Favre can look for him in the 10-20 yard range for easy receptions and this guy can DW after the catch, decent speed and he's tough.

For lack in depth of talent I'll roll with Clowney here at the 5 spot. He's blazing fast and may be a real return asset/threat.

The rest of the heap is kind of a toss up... Wynn may make a dent in the lineup but I think he may be a good fullback if Hall doesnt work out there. I think Hall has a good shot at crossing over because he seems to be a real heady kid. I really like a bunch of the linebackers we've picked up in Bishop, Simpson and Johnson but lets face it, only one of these guys have a shot at starting with our solid corps and if I had it my way it'd be Hawk-Barnett-Hodge. Crosby, if he lives up to the hype will over take Rayner but I really do like Rayner. It's also gonna be fun to see if Clark Harris can work his way in, I think Favre will like him!

Well, thanks for listenin... :moon:

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby simply has to take a roster spot, regardless of whether he is the starting kicker. i dont want him being put put on the practice squad and then signed away by some other team, if that happens its a guarantee he'll come back to haunt us some day!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
First welcome Bangthedrum.... I see by the pic you are ready for a game...

Good post and we are all hopeful with the new guys. The more highlights of Jackson I watch, the more I like the guy... hopefully he stays healthy.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From this year's class, I think Clowney will turn out to have the biggest impact. Deep speed is something we haven't had at receiver for a couple of years now, and something tells me that he and Brett will connect often.

Just a hunch.

I also expect big things from Will Blackmon from last year's draft, and from Marviel Underwood from the '05 draft.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking Crosby will have a big impact for us with his big time leg and I would love to see Jackson have an impact in the running game.
His highlight reel is alot of fun to watch.

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to go way off the board and pin my hopes on an undrafted rookie free agent named, Daniel Muir. He plays DT/DE.

The Packers gave him a 15K signing bonus. For comparison, they gave some of their UDFA's a grand. I believe they also gave this sum to the LB from Mississippi.

Why Daniel Muir? I've never seen his picture, or even seen him play a down, but his strength is incredible... 37 REPS!

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports Kent State DL Daniel Muir measured a height of 6-foot-1 7/8 and a weight of 303 pounds at his Pro Day. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.90 seconds and 4.95 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.59 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.39 seconds. He measured a 29 1/2-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-7 broad jump and completed 37 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press.

Of the draftees.... I'll take 7th rounder, DeShawn Wynn. Edgar Bennett will have to work his magic, but he was a "first round talent".

We hit on our 7th rounders as often as we hit on our first rounders... Driver, Timmerman, Wells, Tauscher, and a bit of a stretch but I loved the guy as a kid...My man, RB Jessie Clark.... all 7th rounders. 3 of our current starters are 7th rounders.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had high hopes for Corey Hall until they announced he'd be moved to FB. That's a big change, one that could well be a formula for disaster for him. I'm assuming they like his blocking skills. Most times those position changes don't work out. He would have been a good LB, IMO.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had high hopes for Corey Hall until they announced he'd be moved to FB. That's a big change, one that could well be a formula for disaster for him. I'm assuming they like his blocking skills. Most times those position changes don't work out. He would have been a good LB, IMO.

Well, we'll be seeing a lot of him in Special Teams, where we need him most.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts