Thoughts on Randall Cobb?

Marem19

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he has a bright future especially under donald and Greg I see him with his speed being a serious deep threat ala desean jackson

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
Randall Cobb is yet another recruit in a long string of Ted Thompson-like low profile rookie acquisitions. One only has to read his history at http://www.packers.com/team/roster/Randall-Cobb/73b39eef-a7a8-4155-a341-c5f02b501345 to get a good idea as to what he will do for this team. Cobb's confidence in his own ability, his physical downhill play and sheer determination reminds me a lot of Ahman Green. Hey, and we're talking about a special teams return man and receiver.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like a great kid. He's learning the game and he's making mistakes like everyone but the plays from him have come at great times.

JASIII

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd have to say that Cobb has looked more promising in his rookie year thus far than Jordy, DD or James Jones did in theirs. In fact the only Packer WR currently on the roster who I'd say flashed more potential as a rookie is Jennings. I think by next season the WR depth chart will look like this:
Jennings
Nelson
Cobb
Jones/DD (if he's still around)

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's continuing to make poor decisions returning punts and kickoffs. He's a talent for sure but he drives me crazy sometimes.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some here thinks he will replace Donald Driver.
Right now Cobb is our best kick returner.
I don't think he should replace Donald Driver until another KR just as good is found.
Unless he can do both.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some here thinks he will replace Donald Driver.
Right now Cobb is our best kick returner.
I don't think he should replace Donald Driver until another KR just as good is found.
Unless he can do both.

Why couldn't he? He's too dynamic to use strictly as a returner. He has good hands and has big play potential every time he touches the ball.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't realize we had gotten rid of Blackmon until I saw him playing for the Giants when we played them.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why couldn't he? He's too dynamic to use strictly as a returner. He has good hands and has big play potential every time he touches the ball.

People in Chicago sports have this discussion all the time regarding Hester. Some think he should be a returner exclusively and some think he has a place as a receiver as well. Not sure how I feel about him or Cobb. Granted, Hester is a better returner than Cobb and Cobb is probably a better receiver so it's a little different.

JASIII

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is a better WR than Hester by FAR. Hester's not even really truly a quality WR by NFL standards IMO. Hester's skill set for a complete WR isn't there. I don't see why Cobb can't return and play WR

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he has a bright future especially under donald and Greg I see him with his speed being a serious deep threat ala desean jackson

I also think he has a bright future, but I don't know about him being that kind of a deep threat. He's fast for sure, but I think it's more quickness than down the field speed. I think he'll be an excellent slot receiver more than anything.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typical rookie mistakes. No big deal and he doesn't make them very often.
He has made a number of them this season including a fumble or two. At some point you can't excuse them as rookie mistakes. He does after all have 13 games under his belt. He needs to take a knee more. Look I'm not down on Cobb but I don't like his decision making at times.

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
He has made a number of them this season including a fumble or two. At some point you can't excuse them as rookie mistakes. He does after all have 13 games under his belt. He needs to take a knee more. Look I'm not down on Cobb but I don't like his decision making at times.
I thought the Fumbles was his mistakes

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Larrivee said on the radio this morning that on the last KO Cobb was told to down it in the EZ - 'We need the seconds more than we need the extra yards'.

BTW, the highlight of his first TD catch reminds me that he actually ran the wrong route on that play. Check out Rodgers' smile afterwards - I'm sure he's smiling because they scored but I think there's a little extra smile because they scored even with Cobb running the wrong route.
I had read in several reports that he was told to down it that they needed the time.
Also Rodgers admitted in an interview that was why he was smiling. He said that Randall ran the wrong route.

I remember how excited I was watching his highlight reels from college when they drafted him. I don't mind the drops or the rookie mistakes. I think this guy is the missing link. He's the threat the Packers haven't had for as long as I can remember. He can run as a 3rd down back, QB on wildcat, screen monster and how about him as the receiver on one of those quick outs when the CB plays off him in zone. The guy is shifty and fast and elusive. An absolute backbreaker for opponents.
I don't see him as a primary receiver right now but as the Packers rely so heavily on YAC you can't ask for a better fit.
Anything he provides as a returner is gravy as far as I'm concerned.
I get pumped with draft picks, especially early ones by TT. Mike Neal I'm not convinced he won't be dominating in time. I loved Pat Lee (I know, but he sure looked good on paper) and some others. But man, this guy seems to be the real deal.
This team is STACKED so get used to several years of championships football. The backups on this team would be starting somewhere else.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Look, I don't know why some people want to create a problem where none exists. Randall Cobb is NOT a problem. For cripes sakes our return game is as good as it's been in 10 years. You can't expect perfection from anyone. Cobb is a kid who loves to make plays returning the ball and I'll take a guy who maybe tries to return it when he shouldn't than one who calls for fair catches any time a defender is within 15 yards.

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
If there’s one element of intrigue surrounding Jennings’ absence it’s rookieRandall Cobb
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
. Part of the receiving rotation on offense throughout the year, Cobb has shown considerable explosiveness, averaging 15.8 yards on his 19 catches.
An increased role for a few weeks could make Cobb even more prepared to produce in the playoffs. His lone pro TD came in the opener when he ran the wrong route, but he said he’s come a long way since then.
“I don’t think I’ve had a missed assignment in probably the last eight weeks,” Cobb said. “I think those have diminished. As far as being a rookie, if I still have a college mindset, we’ve already played my freshman year, so this is the start of the second year for me.”

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts